User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 pm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Spreadsheet is updated for Q2 2017 PDEW
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 pm

stl07 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
Yeah I have looked at it a lot, they have gutted their PTP flying in the midwest. MEM is gone, CVG is effectively gone, the IND focus city is gone, the STL focus city attempt is gone, Song is gone, CMH has lost multiple DL PTP routes, and cities like TOL have been completely eliminated, the list goes on and on. DL used to be a dominant PTP carrier in the midwest, but that has since faded. Largely, LCC's and WN have taken over the PTP flying in the midwest, DL may be ahead of UA/AA in terms of PTP, but it is nothing like it used to be.


Agreed, the DL of now is much different than the NW/DL of old.
Look at the list of p2p flying that DL has cut out of IND in recent years
NAS-ended 2015
TPA-ended 2015
CLE-ended 2014
MBJ-ended 2014
DCA-ended 2012
LAS-ended 2010

Look at what DL has cut out of CVG, I am not even going to take the time to list it all

If DL wanted to they could have had the midwest (specifically IND) market to themselves around 3-5 or so years ago, WN/AA/UA did not have the presences they have today in IND. But instead of expanding DL choped up tons of flying, especially the p2p flying, regardless of whether the routes were profitable. Other than the IND-CDG flight DL, has shown very little interest in defending the "heartland," much to the benefit of WN....

Oddly, they did just add STL-MCO


Oddly? have you seen the OAG thread? they have already trimmed that route along with lots of p2p flying....
DL IND-RSW MAY 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-MCO DEC 0.4>0.3 JAN 0.1>0.0 MAY 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-RSW MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MCI-MCO MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MCO-STL MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-IND MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-CMH MAY 0.2>0.1
DL SLC-MKE DEC 0.4>0.3
DL MIA-CMH MAY 0.2>0.1
DL BHM-MCO JAN 0.2>0.1 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL BNA-MCO JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL BUF-MSP JAN 0.6>0.1 FEB 0.7>0.3
DL CMH-MCO JAN 0.2>0.1 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-RSW FEB 0.2>0.1
DL IND-RSW JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL LEX-MSP JAN 1.0>0.1 FEB 1.0>0.4
DL MIA-CMH FEB 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-IND FEB 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-RDU JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
Jshank83
Posts: 953
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 am

Midwestindy wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Agreed, the DL of now is much different than the NW/DL of old.
Look at the list of p2p flying that DL has cut out of IND in recent years
NAS-ended 2015
TPA-ended 2015
CLE-ended 2014
MBJ-ended 2014
DCA-ended 2012
LAS-ended 2010

Look at what DL has cut out of CVG, I am not even going to take the time to list it all

If DL wanted to they could have had the midwest (specifically IND) market to themselves around 3-5 or so years ago, WN/AA/UA did not have the presences they have today in IND. But instead of expanding DL choped up tons of flying, especially the p2p flying, regardless of whether the routes were profitable. Other than the IND-CDG flight DL, has shown very little interest in defending the "heartland," much to the benefit of WN....

Oddly, they did just add STL-MCO


Oddly? have you seen the OAG thread? they have already trimmed that route along with lots of p2p flying....
DL IND-RSW MAY 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-MCO DEC 0.4>0.3 JAN 0.1>0.0 MAY 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-RSW MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MCI-MCO MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MCO-STL MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-IND MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-CMH MAY 0.2>0.1
DL SLC-MKE DEC 0.4>0.3
DL MIA-CMH MAY 0.2>0.1
DL BHM-MCO JAN 0.2>0.1 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL BNA-MCO JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL BUF-MSP JAN 0.6>0.1 FEB 0.7>0.3
DL CMH-MCO JAN 0.2>0.1 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-RSW FEB 0.2>0.1
DL IND-RSW JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL LEX-MSP JAN 1.0>0.1 FEB 1.0>0.4
DL MIA-CMH FEB 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-IND FEB 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-RDU JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1


Some of these (the 0.2>0.1) are because they had a random Sunday on the schedule they now took out. I know MCI and STL are because of that. They have the same saturday only schedule as last year.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Oddly, they did just add STL-MCO


Oddly? have you seen the OAG thread? they have already trimmed that route along with lots of p2p flying....
DL IND-RSW MAY 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-MCO DEC 0.4>0.3 JAN 0.1>0.0 MAY 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-RSW MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MCI-MCO MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MCO-STL MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-IND MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-CMH MAY 0.2>0.1
DL SLC-MKE DEC 0.4>0.3
DL MIA-CMH MAY 0.2>0.1
DL BHM-MCO JAN 0.2>0.1 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL BNA-MCO JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL BUF-MSP JAN 0.6>0.1 FEB 0.7>0.3
DL CMH-MCO JAN 0.2>0.1 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-RSW FEB 0.2>0.1
DL IND-RSW JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL LEX-MSP JAN 1.0>0.1 FEB 1.0>0.4
DL MIA-CMH FEB 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-IND FEB 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-RDU JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1


Some of these (the 0.2>0.1) are because they had a random Sunday on the schedule they now took out. I know MCI and STL are because of that. They have the same saturday only schedule as last year.


I am aware, however, reduction is reduction whether it is a sat only or daily route
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
Jshank83
Posts: 953
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Oddly? have you seen the OAG thread? they have already trimmed that route along with lots of p2p flying....
DL IND-RSW MAY 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-MCO DEC 0.4>0.3 JAN 0.1>0.0 MAY 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-RSW MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MCI-MCO MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MCO-STL MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-IND MAY 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-CMH MAY 0.2>0.1
DL SLC-MKE DEC 0.4>0.3
DL MIA-CMH MAY 0.2>0.1
DL BHM-MCO JAN 0.2>0.1 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL BNA-MCO JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL BUF-MSP JAN 0.6>0.1 FEB 0.7>0.3
DL CMH-MCO JAN 0.2>0.1 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL CMH-RSW FEB 0.2>0.1
DL IND-RSW JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1
DL LEX-MSP JAN 1.0>0.1 FEB 1.0>0.4
DL MIA-CMH FEB 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-IND FEB 0.2>0.1
DL MIA-RDU JAN 0.2>0.0 FEB 0.2>0.1


Some of these (the 0.2>0.1) are because they had a random Sunday on the schedule they now took out. I know MCI and STL are because of that. They have the same saturday only schedule as last year.


I am aware, however, reduction is reduction whether it is a sat only or daily route


My point was it must have been a misfile/mess up because there is no reason for them to have one random Sunday when they never have run the flight on Sundays before. If they had loaded a month or more of Sundays then I would get it. It can't be a reduction if they are running the same schedule as last year (and just fixed the error). They aren't reducing anything.

Some of the other flights maybe be different though that go from daily to less than daily or none. Not that running a flight once a week seasonally is much of a P2P route anyways.
 
Indy
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:12 pm

I noticed that IND-CDG still isn't showing on the DL route map.

http://dl.fltmaps.com/en
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Indy wrote:
I noticed that IND-CDG still isn't showing on the DL route map.

http://dl.fltmaps.com/en

It is only taking data through 04/15/2018 currently.
Next: CVG-CDG-ATH (Delta Air Lines B767-300ER, Air France A319)
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
IndEagle wrote:
Still waiting for AS to start SAN, and PDX though it may be to long and thin for now.

I think there is enough room for AS to hop in the SAN-IND market (I think the e175 has the range to run SAN-IND but I may be wrong.)

I'm following the IND-SAN situation closely and of course am watching it from the other end.
>WN op'd the route for only 3 months -- 6/3 - 9/4/17 -- for whatever reason. The route is not currently on WN's route map. (It WAS announced as seasonal.)
>I, like others, have been figuring for a couple of years now, that AAG was getting ready to to serve the SAN-IND market at any time. Back in August of 2016, they announced SEA-IND which began this last May. I was confused and very disappointed that SAN-IND was not announced at the same time. (The pax numbers per DOT are VERY similar in the two markets.) I understand that SEA is THE hub and center of Alaska's world, but SAN is a fast-growing focus city in that world as well.
>Now the Company has just started another IND-route, SFO this time, using Virgin metal. Still no SAN-IND, but I hope we're next

I really had hopes that AAG would announce and quickly start flying between IND and SAN sometime this fall or winter, while the WN service was not operating. (I assume WN will re-start the route next June.) That way, AAG could still be the only carrier in the market for several months; whether they use an AS 737 or a Virgin Airbus to fly the route makes no difference to me, but it does double their options! That opportunity is slipping away very quickly as AAG continues to do, well, nothing.

AAG and WN are pretty openly battling in CA now and it appears to me that AS is falling behind at this point. AAG hasn't announced a new route (network-wide) in over 6 months now (some of the reasons are obvious, including the QX pilot shortage and finalizing the VX takeover) but for an airline that is supposedly in the middle of a dramatic CA-heavy growth spurt, this looks like a serious problem. And, with WN now regaining their momentum since their fleet adjustments are pretty well ended, and with California a very large and important target for them, as it is 'coincidentally' with Alaska, I see AAG falling behind more and more.

If nothing else, AS could tomorrow start flying a red-eye from SAN to IND -- using a RON 737 or an Airbus, with a morning return that would not even require using any airplane time! Not ideal, but it gets them in the market while it is un-served... (When possible, I would hope to see them switch the flight to daytime r/t.)

I still think AAG is interested in IND expansion and I believe SAN is at, or near, the top of their list of potential growth there. I just hope something happens sooner rather than later!

bb
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 pm

SANFan wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
IndEagle wrote:
Still waiting for AS to start SAN, and PDX though it may be to long and thin for now.

I think there is enough room for AS to hop in the SAN-IND market (I think the e175 has the range to run SAN-IND but I may be wrong.)

I'm following the IND-SAN situation closely and of course am watching it from the other end.
>WN op'd the route for only 3 months -- 6/3 - 9/4/17 -- for whatever reason. The route is not currently on WN's route map. (It WAS announced as seasonal.)
>I, like others, have been figuring for a couple of years now, that AAG was getting ready to to serve the SAN-IND market at any time. Back in August of 2016, they announced SEA-IND which began this last May. I was confused and very disappointed that SAN-IND was not announced at the same time. (The pax numbers per DOT are VERY similar in the two markets.) I understand that SEA is THE hub and center of Alaska's world, but SAN is a fast-growing focus city in that world as well.
>Now the Company has just started another IND-route, SFO this time, using Virgin metal. Still no SAN-IND, but I hope we're next

I really had hopes that AAG would announce and quickly start flying between IND and SAN sometime this fall or winter, while the WN service was not operating. (I assume WN will re-start the route next June.) That way, AAG could still be the only carrier in the market for several months; whether they use an AS 737 or a Virgin Airbus to fly the route makes no difference to me, but it does double their options! That opportunity is slipping away very quickly as AAG continues to do, well, nothing.

AAG and WN are pretty openly battling in CA now and it appears to me that AS is falling behind at this point. AAG hasn't announced a new route (network-wide) in over 6 months now (some of the reasons are obvious, including the QX pilot shortage and finalizing the VX takeover) but for an airline that is supposedly in the middle of a dramatic CA-heavy growth spurt, this looks like a serious problem. And, with WN now regaining their momentum since their fleet adjustments are pretty well ended, and with California a very large and important target for them, as it is 'coincidentally' with Alaska, I see AAG falling behind more and more.

If nothing else, AS could tomorrow start flying a red-eye from SAN to IND -- using a RON 737 or an Airbus, with a morning return that would not even require using any airplane time! Not ideal, but it gets them in the market while it is un-served... (When possible, I would hope to see them switch the flight to daytime r/t.)

I still think AAG is interested in IND expansion and I believe SAN is at, or near, the top of their list of potential growth there. I just hope something happens sooner rather than later!

bb


it is pretty interesting, do you think if AS/VX announce IND-SAN that WN would go year-round?
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
I think there is enough room for AS to hop in the SAN-IND market (I think the e175 has the range to run SAN-IND but I may be wrong.)

I'm following the IND-SAN situation closely and of course am watching it from the other end.
>WN op'd the route for only 3 months -- 6/3 - 9/4/17 -- for whatever reason. The route is not currently on WN's route map. (It WAS announced as seasonal.)
>I, like others, have been figuring for a couple of years now, that AAG was getting ready to to serve the SAN-IND market at any time. Back in August of 2016, they announced SEA-IND which began this last May. I was confused and very disappointed that SAN-IND was not announced at the same time. (The pax numbers per DOT are VERY similar in the two markets.) I understand that SEA is THE hub and center of Alaska's world, but SAN is a fast-growing focus city in that world as well.
>Now the Company has just started another IND-route, SFO this time, using Virgin metal. Still no SAN-IND, but I hope we're next

I really had hopes that AAG would announce and quickly start flying between IND and SAN sometime this fall or winter, while the WN service was not operating. (I assume WN will re-start the route next June.) That way, AAG could still be the only carrier in the market for several months; whether they use an AS 737 or a Virgin Airbus to fly the route makes no difference to me, but it does double their options! That opportunity is slipping away very quickly as AAG continues to do, well, nothing.

AAG and WN are pretty openly battling in CA now and it appears to me that AS is falling behind at this point. AAG hasn't announced a new route (network-wide) in over 6 months now (some of the reasons are obvious, including the QX pilot shortage and finalizing the VX takeover) but for an airline that is supposedly in the middle of a dramatic CA-heavy growth spurt, this looks like a serious problem. And, with WN now regaining their momentum since their fleet adjustments are pretty well ended, and with California a very large and important target for them, as it is 'coincidentally' with Alaska, I see AAG falling behind more and more.

If nothing else, AS could tomorrow start flying a red-eye from SAN to IND -- using a RON 737 or an Airbus, with a morning return that would not even require using any airplane time! Not ideal, but it gets them in the market while it is un-served... (When possible, I would hope to see them switch the flight to daytime r/t.)

I still think AAG is interested in IND expansion and I believe SAN is at, or near, the top of their list of potential growth there. I just hope something happens sooner rather than later!

bb


it is pretty interesting, do you think if AS/VX announce IND-SAN that WN would go year-round?


I think WN would go year around regardless. Once their fleet situation gets better I can see more frequencies in their overall network.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:02 am

zackary747 wrote:
I think WN would go year around regardless. Once their fleet situation gets better I can see more frequencies in their overall network.

I agree completely. I think WN plans on making IND-SAN permanent -- why shouldn't they, looking at the DOT numbers? -- probably in 2018. (But it does depend on fleet status of course.) Almost every route to SAN that has been served either seasonally or Sat-only, has become daily/year-round fairly quickly, as it should.

So I have no doubt that the IND-SAN market will be served daily and year-round by at least one carrier in either 2018 or 2019. The numbers support it. My big question is will there be a second?

And I stand by my comments regarding AAG in my earlier post. I hope they will come through!

bb
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 am

SANFan wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
I think WN would go year around regardless. Once their fleet situation gets better I can see more frequencies in their overall network.

I agree completely. I think WN plans on making IND-SAN permanent -- why shouldn't they, looking at the DOT numbers? -- probably in 2018. (But it does depend on fleet status of course.) Almost every route to SAN that has been served either seasonally or Sat-only, has become daily/year-round fairly quickly, as it should.

So I have no doubt that the IND-SAN market will be served daily and year-round by at least one carrier in either 2018 or 2019. The numbers support it. My big question is will there be a second?

And I stand by my comments regarding AAG in my earlier post. I hope they will come through!

bb


I completely agree. I think it's a matter of when, not if. We just gotta be a little patient.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
COSPN
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:49 am

Alaska and Virgin are already loosing money on IND-SEA. And IND-SFO. Does not make sense for them to start IND-SAN until the others can start to break even..
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:22 am

COSPN wrote:
Alaska and Virgin are already loosing money on IND-SEA. And IND-SFO. Does not make sense for them to start IND-SAN until the others can start to break even..


Says who? Why would they have started IND-SFO if they were losing money on IND-SEA? Why would they have not downguaged/cut/trimmed IND-SEA by now? LFs have been at or greater than 90%

The IND-SFO flight just started so lets pump the breaks on that one....

Furthermore, AS has expressed interest in expanding...

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... -even-more
Vice President of Capacity Planning John Kirby- "Kirby says the current relationship with Indianapolis is only the beginning."
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:18 pm

https://www.ibj.com/articles/65919-gate ... dianapolis

Gate change ahead for Frontier Airlines in Indianapolis

"The Indianapolis International Airport says it plans to move tenant Frontier Airlines to a new spot to accommodate growth in overall airline activity, particularly from Allegiant Travel Co."

"Frontier, a low-cost carrier based in Denver, operates from the airport’s Concourse B, along with Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, OneJet and Southwest Airlines.

By January, the airport will move Frontier and its one passenger gate to Concourse A, which houses Air Canada, Delta Airlines and United Airlines.

In support of these plans, the Indianapolis Airport Authority’s board of directors on Friday awarded a $149,311 contract to Indianapolis-based Dallman Contractors LLC.

Dallman will build office and operations space for Frontier in Concourse A, in an unfinished area below the passenger level.

Construction will begin immediately and should be complete by January."

"Eric Anderson, the airport’s property director, said the move is being prompted by growth in flights and passenger activity. From January to August, 2.9 million passengers boarded a flight in Indianapolis, up 2.8 percent from the same period in 2016.

“Some of this is in anticipation of growth; some of it is because of (previous) growth,” Anderson told IBJ. “It’s our job to get ahead of them and not to have a bottleneck.”

Allegiant in particular has seen growth in its Indianapolis operations, Anderson said. During the first eight months of this year, 130,799 passengers boarded Allegiant aircraft in Indianapolis. That’s up from 123,662 during the same period in 2016 and 75,754 during that period in 2015. Allegiant began operating at the Indianapolis airport in February 2015.

In August, Allegiant announced its plans to open a $40 million aircraft base at the Indianapolis airport, to begin operations in early 2018. The Las Vegas-based airline said the base will house two Airbus aircraft and allow it to offer more routes from Indianapolis in the future.

Moving Frontier should also help balance activity at the airport. In August, 62 percent of boardings took place in Concourse B and 38 percent were in Concourse A.

This is the first time since the terminal’s opening in 2008 that the airport has moved the location of one of its airline tenants, Anderson said."
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:23 am

Midwestindy wrote:
COSPN wrote:
Alaska and Virgin are already loosing money on IND-SEA. And IND-SFO. Does not make sense for them to start IND-SAN until the others can start to break even..


Says who? Why would they have started IND-SFO if they were losing money on IND-SEA? Why would they have not downguaged/cut/trimmed IND-SEA by now? LFs have been at or greater than 90%

The IND-SFO flight just started so lets pump the breaks on that one....

Furthermore, AS has expressed interest in expanding...

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... -even-more
Vice President of Capacity Planning John Kirby- "Kirby says the current relationship with Indianapolis is only the beginning."


Yeah..... They're not loosing money. Please look at the stats. 90 percent fill rate on SEA and AAG said that route was doing well, which is why they added SFO on VX. For VX, the Oct. seat maps look full, and I know a guy who was on the inaugural and that flight was pretty full. They're doing fine. Stats don't lie.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.ibj.com/articles/65919-gate-change-ahead-for-frontier-airlines-in-indianapolis

Gate change ahead for Frontier Airlines in Indianapolis

"The Indianapolis International Airport says it plans to move tenant Frontier Airlines to a new spot to accommodate growth in overall airline activity, particularly from Allegiant Travel Co."

"Frontier, a low-cost carrier based in Denver, operates from the airport’s Concourse B, along with Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, OneJet and Southwest Airlines.

By January, the airport will move Frontier and its one passenger gate to Concourse A, which houses Air Canada, Delta Airlines and United Airlines.

In support of these plans, the Indianapolis Airport Authority’s board of directors on Friday awarded a $149,311 contract to Indianapolis-based Dallman Contractors LLC.

Dallman will build office and operations space for Frontier in Concourse A, in an unfinished area below the passenger level.

Construction will begin immediately and should be complete by January."

"Eric Anderson, the airport’s property director, said the move is being prompted by growth in flights and passenger activity. From January to August, 2.9 million passengers boarded a flight in Indianapolis, up 2.8 percent from the same period in 2016.

“Some of this is in anticipation of growth; some of it is because of (previous) growth,” Anderson told IBJ. “It’s our job to get ahead of them and not to have a bottleneck.”

Allegiant in particular has seen growth in its Indianapolis operations, Anderson said. During the first eight months of this year, 130,799 passengers boarded Allegiant aircraft in Indianapolis. That’s up from 123,662 during the same period in 2016 and 75,754 during that period in 2015. Allegiant began operating at the Indianapolis airport in February 2015.

In August, Allegiant announced its plans to open a $40 million aircraft base at the Indianapolis airport, to begin operations in early 2018. The Las Vegas-based airline said the base will house two Airbus aircraft and allow it to offer more routes from Indianapolis in the future.

Moving Frontier should also help balance activity at the airport. In August, 62 percent of boardings took place in Concourse B and 38 percent were in Concourse A.

This is the first time since the terminal’s opening in 2008 that the airport has moved the location of one of its airline tenants, Anderson said."


I'm glad to finally see this happening. Further steps for growth in the correct direction. Is their gate going to be A3? I wonder who will take their old one.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 pm

zackary747 wrote:
I'm glad to finally see this happening. Further steps for growth in the correct direction. Is their gate going to be A3? I wonder who will take their old one.


Yeah, it will most likely be A3, I think DL has leases on a lot of the rest of the gates dating back to when the terminal first opened.

I would think B15 would go to AA/VX/AS, and the airport would move them from B5. That way G4 could have B3/B5 and share B4 with J1.

I guess another option would be to have WN take B15, since I think they sometimes have to RON at B3 and/or B4.

Then again I may be wrong, considering Rodriguez said he expects more "a few more" new routes to be announced at the beginning of next year (when F9 is scheduled to move to B). Which could mean maybe NK/SY coming in and taking B15.
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
Indy
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Looking at the latest OAG thread I have to wonder how much F9 will have left here. Looks like they are cutting back frequencies at IND even more.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Indy wrote:
Looking at the latest OAG thread I have to wonder how much F9 will have left here. Looks like they are cutting back frequencies at IND even more.


F9 DEN-IND MAY 1.0>0.5 JUN 1.0>0.4
F9 IND-MCO MAY 0.9>0.5 JUN 1.0>0.6
F9 IND-RSW APR 0.7>0.1

These cuts aren't that worrisome, especially considering they trimmed routes across the board. If F9 doesn't add these frequencies back by next year I suspect DL/G4/WN will likely increase service on these routes in some way shape or form.
.
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
Indy
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:02 pm

The fact they can't even maintain 1x daily to DEN tells me they aren't really serious about IND at all.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Indy wrote:
The fact they can't even maintain 1x daily to DEN tells me they aren't really serious about IND at all.


They aren't serious about IND, they cut ATL and PHL after one season, they only run RSW seasonally, and until this year they didn't even fly to LAS and TPA.

But I will say I think this has little to do with the IND-DEN route and more about using a/c elsewhere for new flying, the IND-DEN flight has been at 90%+ LF for the past year...
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Indy wrote:
The fact they can't even maintain 1x daily to DEN tells me they aren't really serious about IND at all.


You gotta keep in mind these cuts are network wide, not just IND. They added so many new routes while aircraft orders are backlogged, therefore they have to make cuts for fleet utilization.

I also notice F9 likes all the flights to come into IND at the same time period though out the day. Since DEN is no longer a red eye they can't have 2 aircraft on the ground with one gate. With those two factors said, that's their only chance. Demand isn't triggering it. It's lack of resources (gates, airplanes.)
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
Indy
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:19 pm

So this was in the news 10 years ago today. The plan obviously died. Will we ever see this built?

https://www.ibj.com/articles/12598-mans ... port-hotel
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 am

Thanksgiving weekend should be interesting...
From the looks of it a lot of nice mainline service is planned (these are in addition to the mainline service that is usually planned)
AA
CLT-IND->B738
PHX-IND->A320(although this has become pretty common)
IND-ORD->MD80
UA
SFO-IND-SFO->B738(although this has also become pretty common)
IAH-IND-IAH->B737
DEN-IND->2x B739
ORD-IND->B753

Nothing major, but still nice to see.
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:10 am

zackary747 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

The employee said that they already made a "YES" decision on it as a Jan. 3, 2018 starting date, so expect for it to be announced sooner for that date. Note, AAG could easily change something at the last second as nothing is official. It's suppose to be under VX metal. The employee said that SAN will most likely come before PDX, but both are in the works.

Where did you hear about NK? Every medium sized city has been mentioned it seems like. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they respond to F9's big expansion.


So just to clarify, you are saying VX is going to start a IND-LAX redeye flight? Wouldn't it be better to wait and see how the SFO flight is doing first?


I'm just relaying what I heard from the employee through my friend. The bookings look good for SFO so far I heard (from said employee), so it looks like we could see this soon.


Any news on this? Interestingly enough VX is running two daily IND-SFO flights on Jan 3rd which is the only day in their schedule that I have seen 2x daily.....

Also, I noticed the times of the flights change from a 8:35pm departure to a 4:15pm departure out of IND on Jan 3rd, potentially making room for a 8-9pm IND-LAX departure...
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

So just to clarify, you are saying VX is going to start a IND-LAX redeye flight? Wouldn't it be better to wait and see how the SFO flight is doing first?


I'm just relaying what I heard from the employee through my friend. The bookings look good for SFO so far I heard (from said employee), so it looks like we could see this soon.


Any news on this? Interestingly enough VX is running two daily IND-SFO flights on Jan 3rd which is the only day in their schedule that I have seen 2x daily.....

Also, I noticed the times of the flights change from a 8:35pm departure to a 4:15pm departure out of IND on Jan 3rd, potentially making room for a 8-9pm IND-LAX departure...


Nothing as of yet. There's a good chance things got delayed as it seems to happen a lot in aviation. I'll be sure to check up on it tho and let you guys know of anything new. AS/VX hasn't announced anything network wide for awhile so I am sure its just a matter of time until they do something. Sometimes a delay means something big.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Thanksgiving weekend should be interesting...
From the looks of it a lot of nice mainline service is planned (these are in addition to the mainline service that is usually planned)
AA
CLT-IND->B738
PHX-IND->A320(although this has become pretty common)
IND-ORD->MD80
UA
SFO-IND-SFO->B738(although this has also become pretty common)
IAH-IND-IAH->B737
DEN-IND->2x B739
ORD-IND->B753

Nothing major, but still nice to see.


Where in the schedule do you see the UA B753? I can't find it.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:06 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Thanksgiving weekend should be interesting...
From the looks of it a lot of nice mainline service is planned (these are in addition to the mainline service that is usually planned)
AA
CLT-IND->B738
PHX-IND->A320(although this has become pretty common)
IND-ORD->MD80
UA
SFO-IND-SFO->B738(although this has also become pretty common)
IAH-IND-IAH->B737
DEN-IND->2x B739
ORD-IND->B753

Nothing major, but still nice to see.


Where in the schedule do you see the UA B753? I can't find it.

11/26/2017
ORD-IND
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/t ... ht=50&FLN=
11:15 a.m. departure for the B757-300
3:20 p.m. departure for the Airbus A320
6:24 p.m. departure for the Boeing 737-800

BTW IND-CDG will operate 5x weekly starting Sept 9th (SUN, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat)
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Was on the IND-DCA flight yesterday and it was filled to the brim.

Looked at a few weeks out, and it looks like WN is maintaining frequency on the IND-BWI route except for a few 5x daily flights for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Maybe G4 will try IND-BWI, they already run BWI-CVG/TUL/VPS/MYR/AVL/TYS/LEX

or AA could maybe switch one of the IND-DCA flights to mainline as well, they run mainline to MCI, STL, and BDL so that wouldn't be too crazy

Also, it was pretty interesting day at the airport yesterday, I was lucky enough to watch the Allegheny and Aircal liveries come in, and WN had their whole side of the concourse decked out in Harry Potter theme and they were handing out Southwest gift cards! The WN end of the concourse is extremely crowded as well, while B16(has AA equipment at the gate so I assume it is theirs?) and B15 remained empty. Hopefully, with the gate movement, WN gets more gates, because they are close to fully utilizing the ones they have now.
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
indygs
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Was on the IND-DCA flight yesterday and it was filled to the brim.


I really do hope WN brings this route back when their fleet situation improves. Its a shame in that I really think their loads have improved on this through the couple years they've run the route, even when running it at some pretty inconvenient times for business travelers.

AA has chased off DL and WN in the last five years or so on this route, though I think this has had more to do with slots at DCA (DL) and fleet (WN) than anything else. IMO, more BWI service doesn't replace the ease of getting in/out of DC using DCA, so I sure hope someone else picks it up.
 
airplaneboy
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:59 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:17 pm

indygs wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Was on the IND-DCA flight yesterday and it was filled to the brim.


I really do hope WN brings this route back when their fleet situation improves. Its a shame in that I really think their loads have improved on this through the couple years they've run the route, even when running it at some pretty inconvenient times for business travelers.

AA has chased off DL and WN in the last five years or so on this route, though I think this has had more to do with slots at DCA (DL) and fleet (WN) than anything else. IMO, more BWI service doesn't replace the ease of getting in/out of DC using DCA, so I sure hope someone else picks it up.


Southwest’s fleet will be growing by 63 aircraft between this quarter and the end of next year according to their conference call yesterday. That’s a lot of airplanes that have to fly somewhere! Hopefully IND-DCA returns :)
 
indygs
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
Southwest’s fleet will be growing by 63 aircraft between this quarter and the end of next year according to their conference call yesterday. That’s a lot of airplanes that have to fly somewhere! Hopefully IND-DCA returns :)


I'd also be fine with IND-HNL :)

(and yes, I know that won't happen!)
 
jplatts
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Southwest used to have nonstop service from IND to DET back in 1989, and an old commercial advertising Southwest IND-DET nonstop service can be found at https://youtu.be/cD-DvvRTdjM. Will Southwest ever serve DTW nonstop from IND in the future?
 
WWads
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:13 pm

jplatts wrote:
Southwest used to have nonstop service from IND to DET back in 1989, and an old commercial advertising Southwest IND-DET nonstop service can be found at https://youtu.be/cD-DvvRTdjM. Will Southwest ever serve DTW nonstop from IND in the future?


NO
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:30 pm

WWads wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Southwest used to have nonstop service from IND to DET back in 1989, and an old commercial advertising Southwest IND-DET nonstop service can be found at https://youtu.be/cD-DvvRTdjM. Will Southwest ever serve DTW nonstop from IND in the future?


NO


Not anytime soon, that is for sure....
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:34 pm

jplatts wrote:
Southwest used to have nonstop service from IND to DET back in 1989, and an old commercial advertising Southwest IND-DET nonstop service can be found at https://youtu.be/cD-DvvRTdjM. Will Southwest ever serve DTW nonstop from IND in the future?


The only other airline that would even have a chance is NK. Only a ULCC could compete on that route and WN is not one. NK even might have problems on there but I wouldn't rule it out because they fly MCI-DTW.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
Indy
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:30 am

If you've booked a seat on IND-CDG in Comfort+, you've been booted out of your seat. There were 8 seats in Comfort+ and all were moved to the main cabin. It was a glitch related to a product change. You will likely have to call and fight to get your seat back. Don't let them tell you it is an equipment change or something else. The Comfort+ cabin is wide open and you just lost your seat due to an error. It took me about 2-1/2 hours on the phone to get the problem fixed.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:18 am

zackary747 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Southwest used to have nonstop service from IND to DET back in 1989, and an old commercial advertising Southwest IND-DET nonstop service can be found at https://youtu.be/cD-DvvRTdjM. Will Southwest ever serve DTW nonstop from IND in the future?


The only other airline that would even have a chance is NK. Only a ULCC could compete on that route and WN is not one. NK even might have problems on there but I wouldn't rule it out because they fly MCI-DTW.


MCI-DTW is a much different route than IND-DTW, the most obvious reason being that MCI-DTW is 3x longer than IND-DTW....
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Southwest used to have nonstop service from IND to DET back in 1989, and an old commercial advertising Southwest IND-DET nonstop service can be found at https://youtu.be/cD-DvvRTdjM. Will Southwest ever serve DTW nonstop from IND in the future?


The only other airline that would even have a chance is NK. Only a ULCC could compete on that route and WN is not one. NK even might have problems on there but I wouldn't rule it out because they fly MCI-DTW.


MCI-DTW is a much different route than IND-DTW, the most obvious reason being that MCI-DTW is 3x longer than IND-DTW....
Never, in any way, will any airline, ever, add service between DTW-IND unless it’s DL removing or adding flights. Also mainline service between DTW and IND will be going seasonal as January-March will not have any mainline service, I kind of hope that they thin IND-DTW out since services from IND are more easily accessible via MSP and ATL.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Also, it was pretty interesting day at the airport yesterday, WN had their whole side of the concourse decked out in Harry Potter theme and they were handing out Southwest gift cards! The WN end of the concourse is extremely crowded as well, while B16(has AA equipment at the gate so I assume it is theirs?) and B15 remained empty. Hopefully, with the gate movement, WN gets more gates, because they are close to fully utilizing the ones they have now.


Here is what I was referring to
Image
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 am

Someone on the IND FB group talked to a couple Delta pilots last night. They said IND-SEA on DL is planned for 2018. So stay tuned for that.

The same guy also talked to an Alaska pilot. IND-PDX is being heavily looked at on an E175. Should come before the merger is complete. IND-SAN should come after the Virgin merger is complete. As far as IND-LAX goes, I still have no new information on that.

Nothing is official and things tend to change so keep that in mind.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:35 am

zackary747 wrote:
Someone on the IND FB group talked to a couple Delta pilots last night. They said IND-SEA on DL is planned for 2018. So stay tuned for that.

The same guy also talked to an Alaska pilot. IND-PDX is being heavily looked at on an E175. Should come before the merger is complete. IND-SAN should come after the Virgin merger is complete. As far as IND-LAX goes, I still have no new information on that.

Nothing is official and things tend to change so keep that in mind.


Likely, more to come from NK, SY, WN, and G4 as well, good news all around!
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:43 am

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Someone on the IND FB group talked to a couple Delta pilots last night. They said IND-SEA on DL is planned for 2018. So stay tuned for that.

The same guy also talked to an Alaska pilot. IND-PDX is being heavily looked at on an E175. Should come before the merger is complete. IND-SAN should come after the Virgin merger is complete. As far as IND-LAX goes, I still have no new information on that.

Nothing is official and things tend to change so keep that in mind.


Likely, more to come from NK, SY, WN, and G4 as well, good news all around!


Absolutely! Looks like we're going to have to be patient. Since November is here, things should start to pile in.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:11 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Someone on the IND FB group talked to a couple Delta pilots last night. They said IND-SEA on DL is planned for 2018. So stay tuned for that.

The same guy also talked to an Alaska pilot. IND-PDX is being heavily looked at on an E175. Should come before the merger is complete. IND-SAN should come after the Virgin merger is complete. As far as IND-LAX goes, I still have no new information on that.

Nothing is official and things tend to change so keep that in mind.


Likely, more to come from NK, SY, WN, and G4 as well, good news all around!


Absolutely! Looks like we're going to have to be patient. Since November is here, things should start to pile in.


With regards to WN, if we are going on the conservative side, I could see
1. +1 frequency on MCO-IND: 95% LF last July, and 93% in June
2. +1 frequency on LAS-IND: 94% LF June and July
3. Return of IND-SAN, LFs were around 90% and average fares were 250+

Possibilities
1. 1-2x daily IND-BNA, -1 frequency on IND-ATL
2. 1x daily IND-AUS, June-August

Long Shots:
1. 1x daily IND-MSY, June-August, June/July LF on MSY-IND was 94% but IND-MSY was 76%
2. SAT/SUN only IND-SAT
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:42 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Someone on the IND FB group talked to a couple Delta pilots last night. They said IND-SEA on DL is planned for 2018. So stay tuned for that.

The same guy also talked to an Alaska pilot. IND-PDX is being heavily looked at on an E175. Should come before the merger is complete. IND-SAN should come after the Virgin merger is complete. As far as IND-LAX goes, I still have no new information on that.

Nothing is official and things tend to change so keep that in mind.


Likely, more to come from NK, SY, WN, and G4 as well, good news all around!


Absolutely! Looks like we're going to have to be patient. Since November is here, things should start to pile in.
TBH, pilots don't know much more about internal route potential unless they know a route planner for the airline, other than that, it's mostly speculation. Though, it can be easy to pinpoint a speculation, like the fact that AS would be the only airline to do PDX and IND is just inside E175 range, so it's easily determined that it'll be the most likely choice whereas WN could go year round on SAN and keep AS out due to the large customer base that WN holds.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...
 
zackary747
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 pm

flymco753 wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Likely, more to come from NK, SY, WN, and G4 as well, good news all around!


Absolutely! Looks like we're going to have to be patient. Since November is here, things should start to pile in.
TBH, pilots don't know much more about internal route potential unless they know a route planner for the airline, other than that, it's mostly speculation. Though, it can be easy to pinpoint a speculation, like the fact that AS would be the only airline to do PDX and IND is just inside E175 range, so it's easily determined that it'll be the most likely choice whereas WN could go year round on SAN and keep AS out due to the large customer base that WN holds.


That is correct. That's why I typed "Nothing is official." Regardless, there is still some basis as the pilots probably got the information from another source, from the airline as you stated above. I absolutely know that anything ANYONE says isn't 100 percent until official. That's why I specifically stated that on my original post.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 pm

https://www.ind.com/about/media/media-r ... w-terminal

"INDIANAPOLIS (Nov. 2, 2017) – The Indianapolis International Airport (IND) celebrated a record achievement today with the announcement of a new Southwest Airlines’ nonstop flight to Oakland, California. The flight offers a new, year-round destination out of Indy to the West Coast, and increases the airport’s nonstop destinations to 49 – an all-time high for the new terminal that opened in 2008.

“But that’s not our final nonstop destination number,” said Mario Rodriguez, executive director of the Indianapolis Airport Authority. “From our view, there is more to come – and Southwest has been a key contributor to getting us to this point today.”

The new Oakland flight brings the number of nonstop Southwest destinations out of Indy to 21 – the most of any airline. The new flight will be offered daily, with year-round service beginning on July 15, 2018.

“Southwest is committed to Indy, there is no doubt about that,” said Rodriguez. “They’ve made considerable investment in Indianapolis over the past four years, increasing fights leaving out of Indy by almost 70 percent since 2014.”

Rodriguez said Southwest’s Indy operation sells nearly 40,000 seats weekly, and makes up 34 percent of the airport’s passenger traffic annually.

In addition to this nonstop service, Southwest extended or increased the number of flights for the June – August 2018 schedule to three other destinations including San Diego, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Florida. Seasonal nonstop service to San Diego first took off in June of this year.

Next year brings many more flight options for Indy passengers on Southwest. On March 10, 2018, Southwest will launch seasonal nonstop service from Indy to Cancun, the first international flight the airline has out of Indy. On April 8, 2018, the airline launches seasonal nonstop service to Austin, Texas."

Image
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH
 
stlgph
Posts: 9759
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:18 pm

What increases to Orlando and Ft Lauderdale? Ft Lauderdale was already booking at 1 daily service, and still is. Orlando was already booking at 4 daily service, and still is.

Just sayin.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

stlgph wrote:
What increases to Orlando and Ft Lauderdale? Ft Lauderdale was already booking at 1 daily service, and still is. Orlando was already booking at 4 daily service, and still is.

Just sayin.


Have you looked on multiple days....
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos