usa4624

What Happens If UA's Mechanics Strike?

Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:36 pm

Will all the pax with tickets from 20 February be SOL, or will UL refund the purchase price or provide transportation on another airline?  Confused  Confused

What happens to codeshare pax?  Confused I'm flying AUS - STR on LH next Thursday, but AUS - IAD is codeshare on United.

Boeingfan

RE: What Happens If UA's Mechanics Strike?

Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:46 pm

The code share partners (Star Alliance carriers) service should not be interrupted.

But do not panic, the US Gov't will not let UA mechanics go onstrike. Bush will enact the Railway Labor act, and all "employed mechanics" will be back to their work with in 3 to 5 minutes from when the strike is announced. Remember Clinton did this with AA a few years back.

VirginFlyer

Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:55 pm

Usa4624 - just for future reference, UL is Sri Lankan's Code. United is UA or UAL.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

seven_fifty7

Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:42 pm

Even if the government blocks a strike, they won't be able to do anything about the next best thing: an immediate work slowdown. That'll be just as deadly as a strike for UA right now.

I understand the grievances and resentment about the past, but those mechanics need their heads examined if they think they can get all they're demanding and still think UA will be around in the next couple of years.

Yes, management has royally screwed up everything at that once-mighty airline. And yes they dicked them around, but this certainly doesn't seem to be the time to squeeze blood from a limp and withering turnip right now.

Those guys are really out of their minds.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Feb 14, 2002 3:49 am

There probably won't be a strike. Even the IAM leadership is saying that the mandatory cooling-off period before strike will probably be "very fruitful." This has happened many times in the past, according to the Washington Post (which is far better than most mainline media on aviation matters).

My prediction: UA and the IAM split the difference between 37 and 43 percent increases, and UA agrees to some kind of concession-phaseout schedule according to the airline's return to profitability.

But the IAM *could* strike....Bush can't do anything about it. He already called the PEB which made its recommendation. If the union rejects that proposal, then the only thing the gov't can do is for COngress to impose a settlement. They'll be out of session for five days after the cooling-off period ends. And when they come back, the Democratic Senate majority might not be willing to buck their AFL-CIO sugar daddies who would no doubt back the UA IAM.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

ZID

Thu Feb 14, 2002 6:27 am

What happens if United's mechanics go on strike?

The airline goes out of business, and instead of getting a thirty thousand dollar raise the mechanics will get a fifty thousand dollar cut in pay when they go work at McDonald's for twenty grand.

Hopefully for the sake of other workers at United, they can avoid this strike.

I'm not joking! This is my job!

ctbarnes

Thu Feb 14, 2002 6:33 am

Right now, both UAL president Jack Craighton and the IAM leadership are playing down the possibility of a strike. Both have said they will start bargaining as early as Friday, and both state they are optamistic they can reach agreement.

It seems the only thing we can do is sit tight, see what happens, and hope the threat of strike does not scare away too many bookings, depriving UA of yet more precious revenue.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

N766UA

Thu Feb 14, 2002 7:01 am

If these mechanics do anything out of the ordinary UA is gone.
This Website Censors Me