aviacionlvr

Re: IAG Low Cost from BCN will be named "Level"

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Barcelona/Bay Area fellow here and super excited to see new direct flights, even if low cost, popping up into the picture.

I agree with everyone here on the brand look being completely uninspiring, but does it really matter? I for one can't wait to fly non-stop to the bay area from my home city. I've flown Norwegian 787's before into OSL/ARN from OAK and even when no food was provided the experience has been consistently great.

Miguel1982
Crew

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:16 pm

aviacionlvr wrote:

Hello there. First post for me. Why is BCN-EZE 'awfully long' for an A332? In terms of passengers comfort?

In terms of aircraft range. This new BCN-EZE will be on par with what was until not long ago the longest A330 route, SEA-HKG (DL). As a comparison, and if I'm not mistaken, currently the longest A330 route is Iberia's MAD-NRT.

All three here: GC Map

aviacionlvr

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Miguel1982 wrote:
aviacionlvr wrote:

Hello there. First post for me. Why is BCN-EZE 'awfully long' for an A332? In terms of passengers comfort?

In terms of aircraft range. This new BCN-EZE will be on par with what was until not long ago the longest A330 route, SEA-HKG (DL). As a comparison, and if I'm not mistaken, currently the longest A330 route is Iberia's MAD-NRT.

All three here: GC Map

As side question then, why is IAG/Iberia/Level using A330's instead of 787s?

Irehdna

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:47 pm

aviacionlvr wrote:
Irehdna wrote:
On another note, 5666 nmi BCN to EZE is awfully long for an A332, especially with a dense configuration this 'LEVEL' airlines is operating.

Each aircraft has a range of which it can fly on one tank of fuel. For the A332, this range is not much further than the distance between Barcelona and Buenos Aires. To add to that, heavier aircraft (the capacity will be very high due to the lack of business/first class) often have even lower max ranges, so they may often have to be "restricted," with seats blocked, probably what 'LEVEL' doesn't want happening.

aviacionlvr

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:21 am

Irehdna wrote:
aviacionlvr wrote:
Irehdna wrote:
On another note, 5666 nmi BCN to EZE is awfully long for an A332, especially with a dense configuration this 'LEVEL' airlines is operating.

Each aircraft has a range of which it can fly on one tank of fuel. For the A332, this range is not much further than the distance between Barcelona and Buenos Aires. To add to that, heavier aircraft (the capacity will be very high due to the lack of business/first class) often have even lower max ranges, so they may often have to be "restricted," with seats blocked, probably what 'LEVEL' doesn't want happening.

Shouldn't 787s be a better choice then for this? Maybe this range issue could be why they went for a 2-4-2 vs a 3-4-3 configuration.

It sounds like they are pushing it a bit here. I'm sure the safety of the flight is not compromised in any way in the event of a contingency BUT... feels awkward anyway. Also, someone mentioned that ATC messages will have lots of "LEVEL"s wording which could make things even weirder.

Irehdna

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:31 am

Shouldn't 787s be a better choice then for this? Maybe this range issue could be why they went for a 2-4-2 vs a 3-4-3 configuration.

It sounds like they are pushing it a bit here. I'm sure the safety of the flight is not compromised in any way in the event of a contingency BUT... feels awkward anyway. Also, someone mentioned that ATC messages will have lots of "LEVEL"s wording which could make things even weirder.

Apparently LAX-BCN states IB2624 'Iberia operated by LEVEL' but don't know if this IB2624 is only a code-share number.

If so, it would be interesting what the IATA/ICAO codes are. I'm thinking LV/LVL (both are not taken yet).

Irehdna

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:37 am

Manager: My employee needs to travel from Los Angeles to Barcelona for business.
Manager 2: He could take Iberia, United, American Airlines, British Airways, or take the all new non-stop flight on LEVEL.
Manager: Hmm, British Airways, American Airlines, or LEVEL?

I cannot wait for such naturally hilarious conversations like "British Airways or LEVEL" coming up soon!

ikolkyo

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:49 am

aviacionlvr wrote:
Irehdna wrote:
aviacionlvr wrote:

1. Where are they going to get 787s in a short period of time for these ops?

2. What A330 is flying with 3-4-3? Maybe you mean 3-3-3?

Birdwatching

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:32 am

LEVEL is the name of the brand, it doesn't have to be the ATC call sign
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

LupineChemist

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 am

Birdwatching wrote:
LEVEL is the name of the brand, it doesn't have to be the ATC call sign

Further. At this point, LEVEL is not an airline at all. These are operated as Iberia mainline under their AOC. ATC will refer to them as "Iberia"

VFRonTop

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:02 pm

I thought it might be useful to provide a summary of the more regular questions

Why “Level”?
Level is a marketing brand only. IAG have not invested a lot of money developing the brand which reduces the costs of failure. Level does not have a separate Air Operator's Certificate (yet). Flights will be operated by Iberia crew, using IB flight numbers and the Iberia call sign

Why not “Iberia (Express)” or “Vueling”?
These are already established brands with both positive and negative expectations from customers. IAG may want a blank slate to compete against other long haul LCC operators. A new brand allows them to expand from other bases and countries quickly without the baggage of Iberia and Vueling associations

Why the A330 and why 2-4-2 not 3-3-3?
The A330 is a capable aircraft for the routes that level will fly. It also provides fleet commonality with Iberia and Aer Lingus who also fly the A330 in a 2-4-2 configuration. So if this venture fails those aircraft can be repainted and get back flying and making money very quickly.

Why not the 787?
There are no 787 airframes available in the IAG fleet or on the order book to operate these flights for Level. Also the only IAG 787 certified crews are BA employees, based in London. It's a lean subfleet so I dont expect they'd have the scheduling capacity in the crew rosters to fly for Level. IB on the other hand has A330 certified crews based in both Madrid and BCN.

VFRonTop

incitatus

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Will they brand their economy cabin "Bottom Level"? :)
Conservatives against Trump

PatrickZ80

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Irehdna wrote:
Manager: My employee needs to travel from Los Angeles to Barcelona for business.
Manager 2: He could take Iberia, United, American Airlines, British Airways, or take the all new non-stop flight on LEVEL.
Manager: Hmm, British Airways, American Airlines, or LEVEL?

I cannot wait for such naturally hilarious conversations like "British Airways or LEVEL" coming up soon!

Don't forget to mention that employee can also fly Norwegian, because that's the reason they started Level. For IAG this is a logical move. If the passengers move over to Norwegian they lost them, if they move over to Level they still got them.

TheLion

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:32 pm

incitatus wrote:
Will they brand their economy cabin "Bottom Level"? :)

hahahaha cracking (British?) wit :lol:

alexwm

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Interesting news on this Argentinian article: Air Nostrum (who operates regional flights in Spain on behalf of Iberia and is affiliated to OW) has acquired 49% of Flyest (an Argentinian airline). Apparently, Flyest will feed Level flights from EZE to BCN.

http://www.reportur.com/argentina/2017/ ... nos-aires/

A question for the group: Do you think Norwegian will end up launching BCN-EZE, as they stated in the past? The first-mover advantage from Level combined with this feed possibility from Flyest in Argentina definitely creates a tough environment for them.

KarelXWB
Crew

Sun May 07, 2017 9:09 am

The first A330 has been ferried to MAN for repaint.

Airbus A330 -202 1777 EC-MOU Level ferried 07may17 MAD-MAN, basic Iberia cs, for paint ex F-WWYD
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

aa1818

Mon May 08, 2017 4:55 pm

alexwm wrote:
Interesting news on this Argentinian article: Air Nostrum (who operates regional flights in Spain on behalf of Iberia and is affiliated to OW) has acquired 49% of Flyest (an Argentinian airline). Apparently, Flyest will feed Level flights from EZE to BCN.

A question for the group: Do you think Norwegian will end up launching BCN-EZE, as they stated in the past? The first-mover advantage from Level combined with this feed possibility from Flyest in Argentina definitely creates a tough environment for them.

Who is Flyest?
I don't see any information about them when doing a Wikipedia search. They're not listed as an airline flying to EZE nor under the "list of Argentinian airlines" page. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

winterlight

Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm

First aircraft is fresh out of MS paint...

http://skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.m ... picid=9936
Question everything. Trust no-one.

jnev3289

Fri May 12, 2017 1:35 pm

winterlight wrote:

Ehhhhh... Could be a lot better. The "Level" on the tail really sticks out like a sore thumb as basic and an eyesore. I like that the winglets are either painted different colors on either side of the plane or on each side of the winglet, I can't tell.

BHXLOVER

Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm

I guess if the price is right, customers won't care what the plane looks like. I personally don't like it.

But thank you for posting.

Irehdna

Fri May 12, 2017 1:42 pm

winterlight wrote:

Slightly different than what the initial livery was. "LEVEL" on the fuselage is now above the windows, rather than directly over them.

I cannot wait to see this plane at airports like LAX and BCN in the face of airlines like BA, QF, UA, AA etc :P

jnev3289

Fri May 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Can someone explain how this is a Long Haul Low Cost airline? Their costs aren't low because they're using an IB airplane with IB crew, right? Or does charging for bags, water, and seat selection now qualify an airline as "Low Cost"? Its just weird and seems kind of arbitrary, this whole venture. I guess if the plan is to eventually hire crew solely for Level then it makes sense, but why not just do that from the start then? The low cost part of a low cost airline is supposed to be their operating costs, not the fares

Polot

Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Irehdna wrote:
winterlight wrote:

Slightly different than what the initial livery was. "LEVEL" on the fuselage is now above the windows, rather than directly over them.

I'm guessing when they considered the L2/R2 doors (if you look at the initial rendering you will notice their required outlining was ignored) they figured the Level name looked too butchered.

TheLion

Fri May 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Polot wrote:
Irehdna wrote:
winterlight wrote:

I'm guessing when they considered the L2/R2 doors (if you look at the initial rendering you will notice their required outlining was ignored) they figured the Level name looked too butchered.

I'm sorry everyone but this is one of the laziest exercises in branding I've ever seen.

IAG clearly don't care, but this is no surprise coming from a monolithic corporation who have form stripping their airlines bare; bare of branding, bare of warmth, bare of personality, bare of customer service, bare of cost to the point they're close to Spirit Airlines' level for complaints, ineptitude and poor quality. And still they're not done.

IAG: the modern day corporate lovechild of Frank Lorenzo & Carl Icahn's most fevered imaginations.

pabloeing

Fri May 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Irehdna

Fri May 12, 2017 6:22 pm

TheLion wrote:
I'm sorry everyone but this is one of the laziest exercises in branding I've ever seen.

IAG clearly don't care, but this is no surprise coming from a monolithic corporation who have form stripping their airlines bare; bare of branding, bare of warmth, bare of personality, bare of customer service, bare of cost to the point they're close to Spirit Airlines' level for complaints, ineptitude and poor quality. And still they're not done.

IAG: the modern day corporate lovechild of Frank Lorenzo & Carl Icahn's most fevered imaginations.

I agree. Seems like a ripoff of the Iberia livery with a basic Sans-Serif type font spelling "LEVEL" (and I wouldn't consider IB to have a unique, well-designed livery either). Also, the green and blue square of the logo seems like a 5-year old can create, not at the level of a multinational airline corporation.

I don't know why LEVEL was even started. Norwegian (DY) in starting many routes competing with LV, and unlike LV, DY has a stronger network and reputation. DY are also sometimes cheaper, at least on LAX-BCN, than LV. In principle, LV is not at the level of BA, IB, etc. It seems to be a waste of time that could be better spent on improving IAG's existing airlines. BCN, like most leisure destinations, is not a place to start an international airline that can compare with the likes of BA, IB, AF, or even AR/AA/UA.

PatrickZ80

Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
Can someone explain how this is a Long Haul Low Cost airline? Their costs aren't low because they're using an IB airplane with IB crew, right? Or does charging for bags, water, and seat selection now qualify an airline as "Low Cost"? Its just weird and seems kind of arbitrary, this whole venture. I guess if the plan is to eventually hire crew solely for Level then it makes sense, but why not just do that from the start then? The low cost part of a low cost airline is supposed to be their operating costs, not the fares

Because they didn't want to go through all the hussle to start an entirely new airline only to figure it didn't work out, so they first do it under their existing Iberia AOC. If it's a success they can always apply for an AOC of it's own, but that's a lot of work for something you're not sure how it's going to work out. By now it's clear that there's a lot of demand for Level so I assume they'll get it their own AOC eventually, but they didn't know that when they started it.

There are other things to save money on as well. You already mentioned charging for additional extras, another point is avoiding the expensive airports. Level has a very limited selection of destinations and that's done on purpose. Some expensive destinations they just don't serve.

dcajet

Sat May 13, 2017 12:40 am

aa1818 wrote:
alexwm wrote:

Who is Flyest?
I don't see any information about them when doing a Wikipedia search. They're not listed as an airline flying to EZE nor under the "list of Argentinian airlines" page. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
AA1818

Flyest is a new airline in Argentina, owned by Spain's Air Nostrum and some local investors. It acquired the AOC and route network from the now defunct Sol Lineas Aereas. It has one CRJ-200 ex Air Nostrum, ex SOL and has not started scheduled operations yet, The LEVEL connection has been suggested due to the existing relationship between IAG and Air Nostrum in Iberia Regional.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1992896-flye ... -argentina
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

KarelXWB
Crew

Mon May 15, 2017 9:57 am

The second A330 has been ferried to MAN for paint.

Airbus A330 -202 1784 EC-MOY Level ferried 13may17MAD-MAN for paint ex F-WWYY

pabloeing

Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 am

First flight of A330 with level paint in MAN yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvwJRzcTA_U

r2rho

Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am

First of all, the new IB is quite cost competitive and has not been afraid to relaunch - with sucess - former routes that had been abandoned to FR, U2 & Co. Then, as I mentioned earlier this whole thing has been brought forward by a year due to DY, thus the Level structure was not yet set up and things seem to have been hurried through. In addition, the while thing seems to be a test balloon, so it's easier to start that with existing aircraft, AOC and crew, and if it doesn't work, just move it all back to IB again.

Let's see how it goes. LH also hurried the launch of EW long-haul through (albeit, with its own crews, etc), and suffered delays, cancellations etc due to lack of preparation, which led to a big PR hit. In consequence, EW longhaul currently does not have a good PR standing in Germany.

raylee67

Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Early news seem to show that LEVEL is quite successful in initial sales. Will we see IAG expanding this to UK? BA has basically withdrew completely from long haul market from secondary UK cities. I can see LEVEL works at Manchester with flights like MAN-JFK, MAN-FLL and MAN-MCO. If LEVEL continues to be successful at BCN, may be IAG can finally find a good solution for places like Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow?
319 320 321 332 333 342 343 345 388 707 717 732 736 73G 738 739 74R 742 743 744 74E 748 757 762 763 772 77E 77L 773 77W D10 M80 135 140 145 175 190 DH1 DH4 CRJ CR7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

jnev3289

Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Shouldn't this fake LHLC actually fly first before we call it "successful"? Anyone can sell a ton of cheapo fares on attractive routes, but continually doing it, up-selling, and maintaining the reputation and service desired is the real name of the game.

SCQ83

Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm

raylee67 wrote:
Early news seem to show that LEVEL is quite successful in initial sales. Will we see IAG expanding this to UK? BA has basically withdrew completely from long haul market from secondary UK cities. I can see LEVEL works at Manchester with flights like MAN-JFK, MAN-FLL and MAN-MCO. If LEVEL continues to be successful at BCN, may be IAG can finally find a good solution for places like Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow?

IAG have said FCO and CDG will be next.

Norwegian has no B787s in the UK outside LGW.

KarelXWB
Crew

Tue May 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Second plane has been painted:

LEVEL Airbus A330-202 EC-MOY by Joshua Allen, on Flickr

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos