bbcmeng
Topic Author

WN Codeshare Options

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:13 am

With the fast approaching date of May 9th for Southwest to fully transition to Amadeus, I am sure code sharing will be the next big decision as they continue to grow. So, my question is, what are their options?

1. Join one of the big 3. (Not going to happen)
2. Start small with someone like Volaris to expand to smaller destinations in Mexico and/or open up Canada and Hawaii with WestJet
3. Focus on Europe with a possible Icelandair agreement who also uses Amadeus which would make for a slightly easier link. Southwest flies to all US cities that Icelandair flies to other than Chicago (MDW for WN and ORD for FI).
4. Forgot about code sharing and focus on their own growth and see what falls into their lap in the next 2-3 years.

2017 will be a big year for WN. New aircraft, retiring old aircraft, and updating a 30 year old reservation system. However, I believe that code sharing will be bigger than all of those combined when it comes to the future of Southwest Airlines.

flyguy84

Re: WN Codeshare Options

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 am

Good luck getting the pilots to play along.

ericm2031

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:33 am

I think it will be interesting to see who WN codeshares with. They are such a hybrid of a LCC and a legacy that there really aren't many out there that would be a perfect match. I think WS was the perfect match, but it seems that ship has sailed. Their "all-inclusive" model is what is going to be tricky to put out there when their codeshare partners may not have the same principles. They also don't want their customer service record be tarnished by one of their partners.

BeachBoy

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:48 am

WN should codeshare w/ HA.
HA could use WN's feed to start BWI, DEN, ATL, DAL and to top off their west coast-HI flying from big WN stations like PHX, SAN, LAX, OAK, SJC, LAS.

enilria

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:49 am

I think there will be enormous pressure (revenue pressure) to work with the ME3 + TK. It will open up A LOT of new opportunities for the ME3 and provide a lot of revenue to WN. It looks to me like the EK+TK are probably half of B6's code share revenue. It's smaller at AS, but I think it could be that big if they developed it further.

Bottom line, the ME3+TK are where the big money is for code share because they have so few fees options now. Hell, EK doesn't even have interline with any of the US3. They'd put a ton of traffic on WN. The other potential partners are small potatoes.

barney captain

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 am

flyguy84 wrote:

Codeshare agreed to in the contract signed November 7th.
Southeast Of Disorder

BobPatterson

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 am

I don't know anything about code sharing.

Does Southwest's lack of true first class and business class in any way limit the code sharing that they can do?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

LAX772LR

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Does Southwest's lack of true first class and business class in any way limit the code sharing that they can do?

Apparently not, as international mainline carriers were happy to put their pax onto B6, long before it had a premium class.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

RJNUT

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 am

I vote for FI and EK..They have had some limited interline with FI decades ago and EK needs the feed! and most of the destinations are realistically nothing WN would ever serve themselves!

barney captain

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm

RJNUT wrote:
I vote for FI and EK..They have had some limited interline with FI decades ago and EK needs the feed! and most of the destinations are realistically nothing WN would ever serve themselves!

EK likely won't happen as our CBA won't allow codeshare on SOE's (State Owned Enterprises - like the ME3) ot FOC's (Flag of Convenience) carriers such as NAI - without specific approval.
Southeast Of Disorder

alggag

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Do the small prop airlines like Tropic Air (Belize) or Nature Air (Costa Rica) do any codesharing? The convenience of being able to transfer on to fly to the small destinations would be nice without having to buy a totally separate ticket.

luv2cattlecall

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:23 pm

barney captain wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

EK likely won't happen as our CBA won't allow codeshare on SOE's (State Owned Enterprises - like the ME3) ot FOC's (Flag of Convenience) carriers such as NAI - without specific approval.

It's good that the approval provision is there. Do any downsides come to mind as far as an ME3 or Norwegian partnership are concerned? Seems to me like it's more passengers for WN.

flyingclrs727

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm

enilria wrote:
I think there will be enormous pressure (revenue pressure) to work with the ME3 + TK. It will open up A LOT of new opportunities for the ME3 and provide a lot of revenue to WN. It looks to me like the EK+TK are probably half of B6's code share revenue. It's smaller at AS, but I think it could be that big if they developed it further.

Bottom line, the ME3+TK are where the big money is for code share because they have so few fees options now. Hell, EK doesn't even have interline with any of the US3. They'd put a ton of traffic on WN. The other potential partners are small potatoes.

That doesn't do me any good. They hub at the wrong airport in Houston. That means I would have to at a minimum double connect to an airport that has both WN and the ME3 + TK. I could drive to IAH in less time and leave my house later than I would have to in order to board an ME3 or TK flight at IAH. That's if all the flights have reasonable connect times which are not over 2 hours. Also those airlines tend to arrive in the evening on the way back to the US. By the time one clears customs, goes through security, and goes to a departure gate, it is too late to get to the last schduled departure to HOU in time for the second connection to home. That means I would need to get a hotel room near the airport where I would enter the US. There's no way I would stay near HOU; it's not a nice neighborhood.

I suspect lots of other smaller cities served by WN might have the same problems. Many of Southwest's hubs are in secondary airports close to downtown but with no scheduled intercontinental service; HOU, DAL, and MDW are the the main ones that come to mind. The most likely hubs to connect at would be IAD, ATL, FLL, DEN, PHX, LAS, LAX, and SFO. DEN is unlikey for an ME3 due to altitude and the long range routes. I don't think I would care to add 5-8 additional flying hours back tracking merely for the connecting flights from airports west of my location to travel east.

enilria

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
enilria wrote:

That doesn't do me any good. They hub at the wrong airport in Houston. That means I would have to at a minimum double connect to an airport that has both WN and the ME3 + TK. I could drive to IAH in less time and leave my house later than I would have to in order to board an ME3 or TK flight at IAH. That's if all the flights have reasonable connect times which are not over 2 hours. Also those airlines tend to arrive in the evening on the way back to the US. By the time one clears customs, goes through security, and goes to a departure gate, it is too late to get to the last schduled departure to HOU in time for the second connection to home. That means I would need to get a hotel room near the airport where I would enter the US. There's no way I would stay near HOU; it's not a nice neighborhood.

I suspect lots of other smaller cities served by WN might have the same problems. Many of Southwest's hubs are in secondary airports close to downtown but with no scheduled intercontinental service; HOU, DAL, and MDW are the the main ones that come to mind. The most likely hubs to connect at would be IAD, ATL, FLL, DEN, PHX, LAS, LAX, and SFO. DEN is unlikey for an ME3 due to altitude and the long range routes. I don't think I would care to add 5-8 additional flying hours back tracking merely for the connecting flights from airports west of my location to travel east.

I think it improves the chances for PHX, ATL, DTW, MSP, maybe DEN getting EK.

Varsity1

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:52 pm

WN won't be partnering with anyone.

They want absolute control over everything and the pilots have the leverage.

airzona11

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 pm

enilria wrote:
I think it improves the chances for PHX, ATL, DTW, MSP, maybe DEN getting EK.

Very good/interesting point.

Would seem to me if the flying for codeshare is all long haul (out of the range of 737s) there is really no downside for WN or their pilots. I think a model like AS could work.

INFINITI329

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 pm

First you must find airlines whom are not already tied up in an alliance. Secondly you must remove those whom are considered a "SOE". After that your list isnt all that long.

Heres my short list

Hawaiian
Porter (If YTZ situation ever turns in PDs favor, this would be huge)
Azul
Jetblue (which is a hugggeee long shot, but can be benefical to both carriers)

flyby519

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:59 pm

barney captain wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

Codeshare agreed to in the contract signed November 7th.

Limited to inter-island Hawaii, Alaska for domestic codesharing. For international it is Inter-island Caribbean, route authority required, or Far Intenational limited by PDEW. Yes, the contract allows it, but very limited (thumbs up to SWAPA).
These postings or comments are not a company-sponsored source of communication.

jeffrey1970

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 am

flyguy84 wrote:

Maybe the pilots will play along if they get a raise.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

jeffrey1970

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:19 am

I could see WN making a deal with Wow. A deal with Wow would open up routes for WN's business, and leisure passengers to go to Europe. Plus, Wow seems to have a business plan similar to WN's.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

jplatts

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 am

Delta and Southwest could enter into a limited codeshare agreement that would allow Delta Air Lines to put its code on Southwest flights to/from Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, and Corpus Christi, but would prohibit Delta from putting its code on Southwest flights between two cities served by both Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines and vice versa. The reasoning behind the limited codeshare agreement is to give travellers in the West Texas region and Corpus Christi access to Delta Air Lines destinations that Southwest Airlines does not serve and to give Delta Air Lines customers access to destinations within the state of Texas that Delta Air Lines does not serve. Delta Air Lines does not currently serve Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, and Corpus Christi, and a limited codeshare agreement with Southwest Airlines would allow access to these destinations from Delta Air Lines cities not served by Southwest Airlines and would provide an alternative to American Airlines or United Airlines service.

airliner371

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:06 am

jplatts wrote:
Delta and Southwest could enter into a limited codeshare agreement that would allow Delta Air Lines to put its code on Southwest flights to/from Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, and Corpus Christi, but would prohibit Delta from putting its code on Southwest flights between two cities served by both Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines and vice versa. The reasoning behind the limited codeshare agreement is to give travellers in the West Texas region and Corpus Christi access to Delta Air Lines destinations that Southwest Airlines does not serve and to give Delta Air Lines customers access to destinations within the state of Texas that Delta Air Lines does not serve. Delta Air Lines does not currently serve Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, and Corpus Christi, and a limited codeshare agreement with Southwest Airlines would allow access to these destinations from Delta Air Lines cities not served by Southwest Airlines and would provide an alternative to American Airlines or United Airlines service.

I know you're all gung ho with the new account just two days old but chill with the ridiculous posts. DFW, now this. Southwest will never codeshare with AA, DL or UA because the SWA pilots would never allow it, and frankly, I don't know that Southwest would, if they could. Maybe take some time to read and learn before you continue posting, there's lots to learn here. Good luck.
Take a little time and enjoy the view.

canyonblue17

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 am

CEO Gary Kelly said recently that WN will not likely codeshare for several years. Simply not the highest priority right now he said.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

303dk

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:11 am

I think that the most likely would be one or more of the small regional players that codeshare widely: Cape Air, Silver, Seaborne, Great Lakes, etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos