Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

CSeries Milestone: LCY-JFK Nonstop

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 pm

http://airwaysmag.com/manufacturer/bomb ... ic-flight/

Airways is reporting a successful test of LCY trials for the CSeries including LCY-JFK nonstop.

“The aircraft smoothly performed all eight take-offs and landings during a two-day period, as planned,” said Rob Dewar, Vice President, C Series Aircraft Program, Bombardier Commercial Aircraft. “The aircraft is meeting all performance expectations and clearly demonstrates that it is the best performing and most efficient aircraft in the 100- to 150-seat class.”

Great news for the program!

sandyb123

Re: CSeries Milestone: LCY-JFK Nonstop

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:52 pm

the article doesn't say, but did the test flight LCY-JFK carry any kind of meaningful load? The (obvious) thought here is that if the C-Series can hop the pond with a business class only configuration, then this seems to be a major win over the current 1-stop A318 ops at BA.

Sandyb123

flyby519

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:55 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
the article doesn't say, but did the test flight LCY-JFK carry any kind of meaningful load? The (obvious) thought here is that if the C-Series can hop the pond with a business class only configuration, then this seems to be a major win over the current 1-stop A318 ops at BA.

Sandyb123

Yes, according to this:
http://www.bombardier.com/en/media/news ... ercom.html

ikolkyo

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:04 pm

sandyb123 wrote:

Sandyb123

Flew with a payload equivalent to 40 business class seats, 8 more than the BA A318.

DDR

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:

Sandyb123

Flew with a payload equivalent to 40 business class seats, 8 more than the BA A318.

Sweet! Glad to hear this.

BlueberryWheats

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:10 pm

sandyb123 wrote:

Sandyb123

From what I've read on these boards regarding this route over the years, the stop in Shannon may still be beneficial due to the US pre-cleaance making plane to curbside at JFK a lot quicker. I'm just an uninformed observer though.

intotheair

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:10 pm

sandyb123 wrote:

Sandyb123

Part of the marketed appeal of the one-stop is that US CBP preclearance at SNN is faster than at JFK. I was under the impression that the A318 in the all-J configuration could handle a nonstop westbound if need be.

What would make the CSeries quite different is if it could do LCY-JFK in a mixed cabin configuration. The link says "representative payload," which isn't all that specific.

Motorhussy

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:33 pm

intotheair wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:

Sandyb123

Part of the marketed appeal of the one-stop is that US CBP preclearance at SNN is faster than at JFK. I was under the impression that the A318 in the all-J configuration could handle a nonstop westbound if need be.

What would make the CSeries quite different is if it could do LCY-JFK in a mixed cabin configuration. The link says "representative payload," which isn't all that specific.

Why can't they set up pre-clearance at LCY and make it (almost) totally seamless?

33lspotter

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 pm

intotheair wrote:
I was under the impression that the A318 in the all-J configuration could handle a nonstop westbound if need be.

My understanding was that it can in the summer, and might be able to in the winter, but – in addition to the CBP benefits – it's probably better to have the stopover rather than have a number of headwind-related diversions in the winter, particularly given that it's business clientele.

ScottB

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 pm

intotheair wrote:

I think it's more that the fuel stop at SNN isn't entirely wasted time because the passengers clear CBP at SNN and not having to journey over to LHR from Canary Wharf also saves a bunch of time. If one has Global Entry (and pretty much anyone flying on an all-J flight from LCY to JFK can easily afford that) then I expect a non-stop flight to JFK to easily save an hour of travel time versus the SNN fuel stop.

AA737-823

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 pm

On top of all that, Immigration/CBP at Shannon now goes home before one of the BA flights arrives, which I understand forces the PAX to immigrate at JFK.
Which erases that "perk".
I don't think the 318 can do LCY-JFK nonstop given LCY's toy runway. Hence the tech stop in SNN continues, in spite of customs being closed.

JetBuddy

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Excellent news! Congrats Bombardier. Hope we'll see many new orders for this type soon.

CairnterriAIR

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Perhaps this plane could be the savior for HVN? Easy nonstop to either Detroit or Atlanta!

queb

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:13 am

33lspotter wrote:
intotheair wrote:
I was under the impression that the A318 in the all-J configuration could handle a nonstop westbound if need be.

My understanding was that it can in the summer, and might be able to in the winter, but – in addition to the CBP benefits – it's probably better to have the stopover rather than have a number of headwind-related diversions in the winter, particularly given that it's business clientele.

Impossible, the A318 take a 33'000 lb hit on the MTOW from LCY. The max range is about 2200 nm.

Polot

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:16 am

Isn't BA down to only 1x LCY-JFK a day/ 6x weekly, with one A318 always basically sitting around doing nothing?

Just something to think about and temper your expectations.

iamlucky13

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:24 am

Curious...I went looking for London news on this testing because I was curious what the local reaction is. Every other case I've read about of expanding operations at a smaller, urban airports like this seems like it has been politically very contentious. At the airport nearest me, the debate is so heated that the local paper reports on details as mundane as grading permits being issued.

I'm not finding any news about the LCY test flights, though. Is the certification of new aircraft to operate from LCY not contentious in London, or did they simply collectively not pick up that this testing was taking place?

BawliBooch

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:43 am

ikolkyo wrote:

Whoa! Would it make sense for BA to invest in a subfleet of CS100's for more transatlantic non-stops from LCY. They would loose the cross-fleet benefits with the A318 but gain in efficiency.

Can any other route other than JFK support an all-J flight?

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:48 am

Polot wrote:
Isn't BA down to only 1x LCY-JFK a day/ 6x weekly, with one A318 always basically sitting around doing nothing?

If that's true, it makes sense because the A318s should be up for their first heavy checks.

Polot

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Polot wrote:

If that's true, it makes sense because the A318s should be up for their first heavy checks.

The schedule has been like that since late Oct. It is not due to aircraft maintenance needs.

aemoreira1981

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:23 am

This may well spell the end of the A318s as BA could tack this onto a larger CSeries order.

dbo861

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:28 am

I don't understand why stopping in SNN for pre-clearence is better than a nonstop. Does stopping in SNN, deplaning, processing customs, and then re-boarding save any time over just having a non-stop flight and processing customs in JFK? Customs in JFK isn't fun, but I'd rather do that than have an extra stop.

A320FlyGuy

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:45 am

As a Canadian, I am glad to see that Bombardier is able to really impress a lot of people with the CSeries. That being said, I really hope that the company is able to step up to a level of support that allows them to compete with the big boys. Airbus, Boeing, and Embraer all have product support that blows Bombardier out of the water. And from what I have been told from friends who work in airline maintenance, Bombardier leaves a lot to be desired. They finally have a product that has the chance to bring them into the big leagues and I believe that the CSeries will live or die not based on its performance as an aircraft, but by the level of support airlines receive from the company. After all, buying an untested aircraft is one leap of faith, but airlines don't want to be left with a white elephant.

ACDC8

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 am

dbo861 wrote:
I don't understand why stopping in SNN for pre-clearence is better than a nonstop. Does stopping in SNN, deplaning, processing customs, and then re-boarding save any time over just having a non-stop flight and processing customs in JFK? Customs in JFK isn't fun, but I'd rather do that than have an extra stop.

Neither do I - if you have to make a tech stop, I get it - but if you don't - counting the descent, approach, taxi, deplane, re-board, taxi, take off, climb - I can't see how that saves any time what so ever.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 am

A320FlyGuy wrote:
As a Canadian, I am glad to see that Bombardier is able to really impress a lot of people with the CSeries. That being said, I really hope that the company is able to step up to a level of support that allows them to compete with the big boys. Airbus, Boeing, and Embraer all have product support that blows Bombardier out of the water. And from what I have been told from friends who work in airline maintenance, Bombardier leaves a lot to be desired. They finally have a product that has the chance to bring them into the big leagues and I believe that the CSeries will live or die not based on its performance as an aircraft, but by the level of support airlines receive from the company. After all, buying an untested aircraft is one leap of faith, but airlines don't want to be left with a white elephant.

BBDs global supply and support system should be pretty robust given the amount of CRJ'S and Q's plowing the skyways, they know what they're doing. I love the CSeries and everything about it, but I do fear it is overengineered.
ACDC8 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

Neither do I - if you have to make a tech stop, I get it - but if you don't - counting the descent, approach, taxi, deplane, re-board, taxi, take off, climb - I can't see how that saves any time what so ever.

The theory behind the SNN stop is that the A318 wouldn't make it out of LCY with a proper fuel load for a JFK nonstop with a full load of pax. LCY has tough landing and take off requirements. Also, stopping in SNN instead of DUB gets you *that* much closer to JFK, so fuel and take off performance is definately the issue. Preclearance is the bonus, whereas if it was the main attraction, I'm sure BA wouldn't mind shelling out the bucks for a dedicated LCY arriving pax CBP lane in JFK, or even preclearance in LCY.

ScottB

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 am

dbo861 wrote:

It doesn't save time over a non-stop flight. But getting to LHR from the City of London/Canary Wharf is time-consuming while LCY is just minutes away. The LCY-JFK service is about offering a very convenient departure/arrival airport for finance industry customers who are willing to pay a premium for business class seats.

c933103

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:57 am

AA737-823 wrote:
On top of all that, Immigration/CBP at Shannon now goes home before one of the BA flights arrives, which I understand forces the PAX to immigrate at JFK.
Which erases that "perk".
I don't think the 318 can do LCY-JFK nonstop given LCY's toy runway. Hence the tech stop in SNN continues, in spite of customs being closed.

one of the? aren't the flight currently dropped to 1x daily?

DeltaB717

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 am

Forgive my ignorance, but I've two questions after reading this thread:

1. Why the references to travelling from Canary Wharf to LHR being time consuming, when the references to non-stop flights are clearly to the use of the C-Series to do what BA currently does with the A318s?

2. How is it that the A318 could do LCY-JFK non-stop in summer, but only 'might' be able to do so in winter? (I know the consensus is that the A318 just can't reliably do LCY-JFK non-stop, the reason for my question is that I would've expected winter performance to be more reliable than summer...)

A320FlyGuy

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:37 am

TWA772LR wrote:
BBDs global supply and support system should be pretty robust given the amount of CRJ'S and Q's plowing the skyways, they know what they're doing. I love the CSeries and everything about it, but I do fear it is overengineered.

But that's just it - it isn't.

BBD has a history of poor product support and it is an issue that goes far beyond the aerospace division. When BBD bought MLW in the 1980s to gain access to the LRC train project, they had no clue on how to manage the project and bring it to fruition on time and on budget. It entered service late and with many teething pains.

BBD also has severely inconsistent product quality. The Q400 lacks the robustness that the earlier Dash 8 product line was known for and the company is also notorious for being extremely slow to respond to product quality issues experienced by customer airlines.

mjoelnir

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:55 am

ACDC8 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

The passengers on that flight are hardly all USA citizen. For a normal European traveller on the visa waiver program processing in JFK can easily take two hours.

KarelXWB

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 am

sandyb123 wrote:

Sandyb123

Aircraft had a payload that equals 40 business class seats.

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/ ... 1165692928

bombayduck

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:22 am

Far as I can remember the BA A318`s have never flown no-stop to JFK. London City has a small runway, they have to stop at Shannon for fuel. Coming back is not a problem, as they can take on a full load of fuel at JFK.

33lspotter

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 am

queb wrote:
Impossible, the A318 take a 33'000 lb hit on the MTOW from LCY. The max range is about 2200 nm.

Ah, forgot about LCY's short runway.

kelvin933

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:31 am

mjoelnir wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

The passengers on that flight are hardly all USA citizen. For a normal European traveller on the visa waiver program processing in JFK can easily take two hours.

Passengers that are not US citizens can become members of the Global Entry program to evade the less pleasant parts of the CBP process.

Andy33

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:40 am

Let's have a reality check at the London end.
The CS100 was bought by Swiss to (amongst other things) replace the elderly aircraft they were using on LCY-ZRH. It's been certified for LCY for some time, hence no excitement locally. This latest test was to see if it is possible to fly transatlantic westbound starting from LCY and without a tech stop.
Good to see that it is.
However, don't expect a BA order on the back of this, for several reasons:
Firstly, Willie Walsh, CEO of IAG, BA's parent company, has said there is no C-series order in prospect from IAG or its subsidiaries.
Secondly, the LCY-JFK route, as others have said, has been cut from twice each weekday to just 6 flights a week. It just isn't as busy as it was. The earlier closure of the CBP preclearance point at Shannon won't have helped.
Thirdly, the selling point of LCY is its closeness to London's financial district. It is a really slow process to get right across central London and out to LHR from there. But in 2019 the new heavy rail route under London, Crossrail (aka the Elizabeth Line) will open and link this area directly to Heathrow on fast services. Then the frequency from LHR may win out and kill the LCY service altogether - BA and AA's coordinated timetable provides roughly hourly service for much of the day.
Fourthly is the uncertainty produced by Brexit. Many banks and other financial institutions have said they may reduce their London operations and relocate to mainland Europe. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But these provide most of the passengers out of LCY. Nobody knows what air service agreements will be in place after Brexit either - they may be unchanged, they may be more or less restrictive. Not a good time to order new planes for what is a niche service with just 192 seats a week.
Fifthly, by reducing the frequency, and working the two A318s month-on, month-off, BA has deferred any decision as to their future - the number of cycles and hours per plane is halved.
In 2019 BA will see whether enough traffic is there to justify continuing with the A318s, replacing them with something else (presumably CS100), or closing the route, but that information can't be available now.

KTPAFlyer

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:48 am

If BA does nonstop, it would make the most sense to preclear in LCY and eliminate the fuel stop in SNN, and switch JFK to LGA. That way, you don't have to deal with customs in NY either way, and you are close to both Manhattan and Canary Wharf.

Andy33

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
If BA does nonstop, it would make the most sense to preclear in LCY and eliminate the fuel stop in SNN, and switch JFK to LGA. That way, you don't have to deal with customs in NY either way, and you are close to both Manhattan and Canary Wharf.

You'd need a lot more than one plane a day in the CS100's 40 seat all business class config used for this trial, to justify the cost of several full time US CBP staff outstationed in London.

Someone83

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:12 pm

Andy33 wrote:
The CS100 was bought by Swiss to (amongst other things) replace the elderly aircraft they were using on LCY-ZRH. It's been certified for LCY for some time, hence no excitement locally. This latest test was to see if it is possible to fly transatlantic westbound starting from LCY and without a tech stop.
Good to see that it is.

It is not yet certified.

The tests it did these days what part of the certification process, where the last flight, when leaving from LCY back to the test facility in the US, was to show a real life LCY-JFK flight with loads. This was more to do with marketing

TurnaroudUK

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:12 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Polot wrote:

DXB but range will most likely be an issue

jrfspa320

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Andy33 wrote:
Thirdly, the selling point of LCY is its closeness to London's financial district. It is a really slow process to get right across central London and out to LHR from there. But in 2019 the new heavy rail route under London, Crossrail (aka the Elizabeth Line) will open
Fourthly is the uncertainty produced by Brexit..

Completely agree BA wont invest until the effects of crossrail and brexit reveal themselves....if anything I think crossrail will have a bigger effect on the BA 1 than brexit, and BA will get rid of the JFK route, and they may wait until E-2 for shorthaul replacement (would probably be cheaper to operate than the CS...but both depend on the timing of apron expansion at LCY..

oldannyboy

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Andy33 wrote:
Good to see that it is.
However, don't expect a BA order on the back of this, for several reasons:
Firstly, Willie Walsh, CEO of IAG, BA's parent company, has said there is no C-series order in prospect from IAG or its subsidiaries.
Secondly, the LCY-JFK route, as others have said, has been cut from twice each weekday to just 6 flights a week. It just isn't as busy as it was. The earlier closure of the CBP preclearance point at Shannon won't have helped.
Thirdly, the selling point of LCY is its closeness to London's financial district. It is a really slow process to get right across central London and out to LHR from there. But in 2019 the new heavy rail route under London, Crossrail (aka the Elizabeth Line) will open and link this area directly to Heathrow on fast services. Then the frequency from LHR may win out and kill the LCY service altogether - BA and AA's coordinated timetable provides roughly hourly service for much of the day.
Fourthly is the uncertainty produced by Brexit. Many banks and other financial institutions have said they may reduce their London operations and relocate to mainland Europe. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But these provide most of the passengers out of LCY. Nobody knows what air service agreements will be in place after Brexit either - they may be unchanged, they may be more or less restrictive. Not a good time to order new planes for what is a niche service with just 192 seats a week.
Fifthly, by reducing the frequency, and working the two A318s month-on, month-off, BA has deferred any decision as to their future - the number of cycles and hours per plane is halved.
In 2019 BA will see whether enough traffic is there to justify continuing with the A318s, replacing them with something else (presumably CS100), or closing the route, but that information can't be available now.

Wow Andy. Perfect post. Exhaustive and clear. Couldn't agree more.
People just love to get carried away a bit on A.net, don't they? especially with far fetched orders!
My two cents: no CS100 order from IAG (and no surprise there), no replacement of the two A31stubs, the LCY-JFK will die a slow death, and maybe the CS will turn out to be not as amazingly capable as being marketed on long hauls and might actually need a west-bound stopover in the winter months... but who I am ... ;-)

oldannyboy

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Nicely hijacked thread folks! Good to get a nice update on how BA1/2 and the A318 are doing at Air London. ;-)

raylee67

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Would it be more attractive to business people if the route is made LCY-LGA? Granted, LGA's parameter rule and domestic status would prevent this, but what if the flight makes a stopover at YHZ? Then it can use pre-clearance at YHZ for westbound and the service stays "domestic" and within the parameter rule, right? It would add an hour or so of flight time but it definitely saves more than that by bypassing JFK's busy immigration and customs and getting London bound passengers into the closest airport to Manhattan.

And then with this range capability on CS100, and given (I think) London being a favorite destinations for rich Arabs and Russian, would there be a market to fly the 40-seat all business class CS100 to Moscow and Dubai, etc. as well from LCY?

Polot

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:27 pm

raylee67 wrote:
Would it be more attractive to business people if the route is made LCY-LGA? Granted, LGA's parameter rule and domestic status would prevent this, but what if the flight makes a stopover at YHZ? Then it can use pre-clearance at YHZ for westbound and the service stays "domestic" and within the parameter rule, right? It would add an hour or so of flight time but it definitely saves more than that by bypassing JFK's busy immigration and customs and getting London bound passengers into the closest airport to Manhattan.

But then the plane has to make that exact same stop eastbound (because of perimeter rule) which ruins any time savings you get for using LGA instead of JFK.

That is also ignoring the fact that:
A) BA would likely have to carry LGA-YHZ local passengers (I'm not sure using YHZ or whatever as a technical stop would legally make the flight "in perimeter"... that is kind of violating the spirit of the perimeter restriction)
B) BA would have to open a brand new station at LGA just for that one flight, unless they are willing to shift the entire ground experience to AA.

ScottB

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:52 pm

raylee67 wrote:

The disadvantage is that the YHZ stop is required in both directions due to the perimeter rule, so the time savings eastbound would be nonexistent. Plus the passenger experience at the LGA CTB is third-world and not something BA would want to offer premium customers. That said, a case could also be made for a service like that with the A321T or 757 between LGA & LHR.

oldannyboy wrote:
My two cents: no CS100 order from IAG (and no surprise there), no replacement of the two A31stubs, the LCY-JFK will die a slow death, and maybe the CS will turn out to be not as amazingly capable as being marketed on long hauls and might actually need a west-bound stopover in the winter months... but who I am ... ;-)

I think you're probably right about the LCY-JFK service ending, particularly with the Crossrail project/Elizabeth line entering service next year, although BA will be somewhat disadvantaged with no stop at Terminal 5.

kimimm19

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:11 pm

I don't know much about the demands of such routes but it would make sense to me if:

LCY became a business hub airport for O/D travellers using the CS100. They could open a pre-clearance there. I could see the appeal to business travelers in London, while those who are connecting can still use the Gatwicks and Heathrows. Depending on how many routes and their success, BA could look into higher density planes at their other hubs while LCY takes care of business premium...

Andy33

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Have you ever seen a picture of LCY?
https://www.londoncityairport.com/about ... masterplan
It is a runway stuck out into the middle of a dock. At the moment the single runway doesn't even have a parallel taxiway. That and another 7 aircraft hard stands are provided by the upcoming expansion plan. At the moment only 4 stands are capable of holding A318s or CS100s. The remainder are E190-sized at best. There are no jet bridges.
The terminal is at capacity in peak periods now with just domestic and near-European flights and BA1. There's just enough land for a small extension which is already approved. After that, no more growth, all other land in the vicinity is occupied, often by extremely valuable office developments. So no room for preclearance facilities, lounges, extra check-in facilities needed for all these extra flights, the expansion is simply to cope properly with what flies now, and allow more flights to be upgauged.
There's a severe curfew, no flights from lunchtime Saturday to lunchtime Sunday, no night flights at any time. The airport expansion received its approval after considerable political opposition when the airport agreed to no changes to the curfews and no changes to the cap of 120,000 noise-factored aircraft movements per annum, It's also prone to fog and diversions aren't unusual.

ScottB

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Andy33 wrote:
It is a runway stuck out into the middle of a dock. At the moment the single runway doesn't even have a parallel taxiway. That and another 7 aircraft hard stands are provided by the upcoming expansion plan. At the moment only 4 stands are capable of holding A318s or CS100s. The remainder are E190-sized at best. There are no jet bridges.
The terminal is at capacity in peak periods now with just domestic and near-European flights and BA1. There's just enough land for a small extension which is already approved. After that, no more growth, all other land in the vicinity is occupied, often by extremely valuable office developments. So no room for preclearance facilities, lounges, extra check-in facilities needed for all these extra flights, the expansion is simply to cope properly with what flies now, and allow more flights to be upgauged.
There's a severe curfew, no flights from lunchtime Saturday to lunchtime Sunday, no night flights at any time. The airport expansion received its approval after considerable political opposition when the airport agreed to no changes to the curfews and no changes to the cap of 120,000 noise-factored aircraft movements per annum, It's also prone to fog and diversions aren't unusual.

Not that I think a U.S. CBP pre-clearance facility is likely, but it really wouldn't be difficult to incorporate one as part of the planned terminal expansion. The bigger problem IMO is that the volumes would be so low that CBP would be unwilling to staff it without some sort of financial incentive. The curfews are immaterial in that the desirable times of travel for the business travelers who would be likely to use a transatlantic service to/from LCY fall within the allowable hours anyway. There's virtually no demand for business travel between noon Saturday & noon Sunday.

raylee67

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Polot wrote:
raylee67 wrote:

But then the plane has to make that exact same stop eastbound (because of perimeter rule) which ruins any time savings you get for using LGA instead of JFK.

That is also ignoring the fact that:
A) BA would likely have to carry LGA-YHZ local passengers (I'm not sure using YHZ or whatever as a technical stop would legally make the flight "in perimeter"... that is kind of violating the spirit of the perimeter restriction)
B) BA would have to open a brand new station at LGA just for that one flight, unless they are willing to shift the entire ground experience to AA.

Yes, I realize that the eastbound stop would be a disadvantage.

And actually when I asked this question, I am not thinking about BA, I am thinking about AC or even Porter. In AC's case, CS is an existing type in the fleet, so no odd fleet issue. As of handling at LCY, it may be able to rely on Star partner such as LH, which would be a JV partner for this route naturally as part of the trans-Atlantic JV. For Porter, it is experienced and has the brand image in US/Canada to offer premium service at small downtown airports, and I think it would be brave enough to try something like this.

AC and Porter do not have US-UK non-stop flight rights, but if there is a stop at YHZ, then it should be fine, as it can be marketed as a "connection". Just that it's same flight number and same plane. But of course, it doesn't eliminate the eastbound stop disadvantage.

Andy33

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:13 pm

ScottB wrote:
Not that I think a U.S. CBP pre-clearance facility is likely, but it really wouldn't be difficult to incorporate one as part of the planned terminal expansion. The bigger problem IMO is that the volumes would be so low that CBP would be unwilling to staff it without some sort of financial incentive.

It would be difficult, you know, because the detailed plans for the terminal expansion have been approved by the local authorities, after a major political flight. If the plans were changed to provide space for preclearance the building would have to go higher (can't go lower - that dock, can't go sideways - no land). That means the plans have to go back through the approval process again. Took 3 years last time.
You're right about the traffic volumes. That's partly what did for BA3 - it was the only scheduled flight the second CBP shift at Shannon dealt with, and when cost savings were required from the CBP budget, the second shift went. I think these days the US government expects new preclearance airports to pick up at least part of the bill no matter how high the volumes are, but that will end up being recharged to the airline and thence to the passengers.

The curfews are immaterial in that the desirable times of travel for the business travelers who would be likely to use a transatlantic service to/from LCY fall within the allowable hours anyway. There's virtually no demand for business travel between noon Saturday & noon Sunday.

I agree here too, except that the curfews can affect flights arriving from New York on a Saturday. It isn't unknown for BA2 (and more often BA4 when it ran) to be diverted when delays leaving JFK are excessive and the arrival time is approaching the curfew cut off. Now Friday evening departures are a key business time, and delays are not unknown at JFK on Fridays. Then there's a delay with the Sunday afternoon departures because planes have to be ferried over from wherever they actually landed, which can't happen until the curfew is lifted.

Andy33

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:25 pm

raylee67 wrote:
. As of handling at LCY, it may be able to rely on Star partner such as LH, which would be a JV partner for this route naturally as part of the trans-Atlantic JV.

Lufthansa flights to LCY are operated by its regional subsidiary Lufthansa Cityline, and as far as I know they use contract ground handling there. Even BA who have by far the largest number of flights from LCY don't self handle there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos