apuneger

It's Official: DAT Becomes 'SN Brussels Airlines'

Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:52 pm

According tot the VRT Teletekst, the DAT decision makers have decided that DAT's new name will be:

SN Brussels Airlines

There had been lots of speculations about the new name, even here on Airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/732415/4/

So, it seems the decision has been made boys. Even if I'm not really happy with the name, I'll give it my full support: 'Go, SN Brussels Airlines, go...'

Ivan

Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

RE: It's Official: DAT Becomes 'SN Brussels Airlines'

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:12 pm

Why SN Brussels Airlines instead of just Brussels Airlines ?
Sounds awful.

Sabena 690

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:15 pm

Hey Ivan,

I heard it to (and read on vrt teletekst).

I hope it will become a very good and rendable companie!!

Best regards,  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Frederic

sab12

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:16 pm

All titles in brochures are Brussels Airlines, they only have SN in front on the aircraft in a shade different then Brussels Airlines, so the working name will be Brussels airlines

D-aqui

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:19 pm

So I shall be flying SN Brussels Airlines in two hours. That is not a very catchy name.

Then I would have even preferred DAT!

d-aqui

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:21 pm

At least the livery looks somehow neat. Though it's too much of Sabena influence

Braniff Place

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:33 pm

What would "SN" mean to the general public? Most of the public dont know much about airline codes. Very foolish name in my opinion

http://www.brussels-airlines.com

LJ

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:54 pm

At least it's better than the old Sabena c/s

manni

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:57 pm

The livery could be much nicer without the "charter-looking" orange line underneath the titling.

Anyway, Good Luck to our new national airline. And may the unions stay away from it! Big grin
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:30 pm

Brussels Airlines.

What an extraordinary uncatchy name. I really have to say it several times to feel any emotion. Brussels Airlines. Brussels Airlines. Brussels Airlines.

thorough dissapointed, although "Swiss" brand and livery is much worse.

Ndebele

Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:13 pm

I like the livery! The name SN Brussels Airlines... well better than DAT, and much better than "Swiss". Good luck!

pressclub

Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:42 pm

Hi guys

As an aviation journalist, I covered the press conference from DAT/SN Brussels Airlines this morning. Here some info to avoid false rumours.

x Africa Flights. Normally the airline starts flying to Africa before Eastern. It will be a wetlease operation. No decision made yet about the operator. BMI is in the running but it's, according to president Kuypers, not the only candidate. If there is a possibility a Belgian solution will be choosen. But i don't think this will happen.

x Merger witht Virgin Express. Merger study is progressing. By the end of this month we will know more (a yes or a no) about this.

x Codeshare was anounced on flights Brussels - London City (VLM is the partner)

x The new name. SN Brussels airlines was invented by the french group Minale Design strategy. They invented before names like Belgacom, BBL, Quick, Eurostar and the corporate look of EADS... This the challenge : 'SN Brussels airlines will be 'an innovative business airline effectively fulfilling the needs of time and price sensitive travelers and connection Brussels like no other'

They had two name options: a new name or a name reflecting the core business of the airline. For cost reasons only the second option was possible. In total they had 50 suggestions. SN Brussels Airlines was elected for several reasons.

SN reflects the airline code. This code is on the tickets, screens in the airports, etc.... For this reason they wanted to keep the code in the name. Otherwise nobody would understand the link between the code and the name of the airline. They have choosen for Brussels and not for Belgium because in the international press is always mentioned Brussels and almost never Belgium. For example: the CNN speaker says very often 'joining us now from Brussels Nato Headquarters'...

And the airline will be the airline with focus on flights from and towards Brussels.

Mr Kuypers expects that at some time in the future people will say Brussels airlines and forget the SN 'prefix'. At least they hope people will do this.

Greetz

Pressclub

gaut

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

The first plane to carry the new brand and logo will be ready by end February.
Be patient...

http://www.sabena.com/downloads/press_en.pdf

The internet site of the new carrier is a mix of Sabena, Dat and Brussels Airlines adresses.

Gaut
«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

TCA256

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:13 am

what a very bad name...where did they find it ?  Big grin

gaut

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:31 am

More news from L'écho and Le Soir:

-SN Brussels Airlines expects a loss of about 120 million euros for this year but hopes to record profits as from the fourth quarter of this year.

- The new brand " SN Brussels Airlines " was selected in dialogue with Virgin Express. We will know at the end of this month if VEX and SN will merge or not.

Gaut

http://www.echo.be/actu/lipagefr-es.html?ni=2002021438490

http://www.lesoir.be/articles/a_022ACF.asp

nfx

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:44 am

like it!

t/o to a better future (hopefully)...

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:46 am

Eurostar would have been the best option of those they apparently had.

apuneger

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:48 am

Thanks everybody for the additional comments and replies.

I must say I think the new livery is kinda neat. I really like the yellow/orange line. It goes well with the blue (according to me).

Pressclub:

Nice to see you're an aviation journalist. Would like to mention (by mail or so, or just over here) for which magazine/newspaper you are writing, or are you free-lance?

Ivan

gaut

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:50 am

B737-700

Eurostar is the name of the high speed train linking London to Paris and Brussels. Eurostar was NOT an option for the new DAT name. The company that invented the SN Brussels Airlines name also invented the Eurostar name.

Gaut

lmml 14/32

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:52 am

Why Brussels not Belgium airlines? Does this imply that some other Belgian city is planning an airline? Silly name. an airline should represent the country not a city.

gaut

Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:57 am

LMML 14/32

1° Everybody knows Brussels in the world (NATO, EU..) not the same with Belgium

2° Brussels Airlines is a more European name than Belgian Airlines wich is more national.

Gaut

pressclub

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:13 am

guys,

Once more:

Based upon info from the direction:

Brussels is choosen because of the core business of the airline. It's flying out of and towards Brussels and it doesn't want transfer pax. Brussels is the European capital, hundreds of multinationals and institutions have their headquarters in the city. Brussels is in many countries better known than Belgium. Especially in the foreign media.

Belgium has some negative connotations (dutroux, scandals, ...), Brussels is less spoiled by this.

Greetz pressclub

PS See also my previous message

SN-A330

RE: It's Official: DAT Becomes 'SN Brussels Airlin

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:23 am

Pressclub, you wrote x Codeshare was anounced on flights Brussels - London City (VLM is the partner)

So no codeshare flights with VLM between Antwerp and London City anymore for SN ?

Regards, SN-A330
I would rather be flying...

pressclub

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:28 am

SN A 330 (lovely nick by the way)

Chairman Rob Kuypers only mentioned a codeshare on the new VLM Brussels-London City route.

As 'Brussels Airlines', I don't think they are going to fly from Antwerp.

It's strange for me that they don't fly Brussels-London City on their own with an Avro Jet. Former

Sabena CEO Christoph Mueller used to say that you have to operate an Brussels-London City route (lots of business pax) with the biggest aircraft type that can land on the short city runway... Times changed clearly. Now they will operate it with VLM and a small Fokker 50...

Greetz

Pressclub

SN-A330

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:48 am

thanks Pressclub for your reply.

Does anyone know why they choose the orange for the line ? Are we going to have a connection with KLM  Wink/being sarcastic

Regards, SN-A330

apuneger

Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:29 am

Yep, they decided to adopt 'Brussels' instead of 'Belgium', because everybody knows Brussels but nobody knows Belgium. Isn't Belgium the capital of Brussels?  Laugh out loud

Ivan

777236ER

Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:36 am

Wow. Brussels Airlines. So incrediably..........boring.

At least the livery has some colour unlike "Swiss".
Your bone's got a little machine

pressclub

Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:38 am

The official version of the orange color line: They wanted to give a little color to the traditional airline blue. Orange was choosen coz of good results for example by Fortis bank and mobile telephone company 'Orange'

The journalists version: Chairman Rob Kuypers is born in the Netherlands and is proud to be a dutchman Smile He made some jokes about it during the pressconference

sterne82

Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:18 am

Hi all,

First it looks awful... then it's becoming better to hear and tell...maybe one day, I'll love it...LOL

Seriously, what are the fleet plans for "SN Brussels Airlines"?

Regards,

Benjamin

Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:05 am

And they won't even be able to abbreviate it to BA because that's already taken.

gerardo

Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:19 am

It's a bit cheap and leaning too much towards Sabena in my opinion.

Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

lhb

Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:23 am

More information on :

http://www.brussels-airlines.be

Regards, Laurent.

Mermoz 1

Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:34 am

Funny and seen on TV : at the end of the press conference, the guy who designed the name and the livery said by mistake : "Long Live to Sabena"...
He might have been the first one to make the mistake but he is not going to be the last. What the heck those apprentices marketing guys think : people are going to forget Sabena after Sabena being one of the oldest name in the aviation world ???

ScottB

Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:17 am

I have to say that is one of the silliest manufactured names I've ever heard of. Sabena may have been one of the oldest names in the aviation world, but they certainly didn't have a favorable reputation to go with it; one of their advertisements in Boston a few years back gave the internet address of "most-improved-airline.com" I would imagine that airlines with good prior reputations don't generally have to advertise themselves as "most-improved."

I believe they should have made a clean break with the old Sabena and gone with a new marketing identity. Something to emphasize their position at the airport serving the capital of Europe, that would capitalize on the growing sentiments among Europeans that they are "European," beyond just one nationality.

Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:50 am

How does this affect VG Airlines and their beautiful A330s, to come?

tnnh

Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:02 pm

"European Union Airlines" would have been a wake up call to all the "Little Englanders" and the other 14 equivalent types of people. Just imagine a plane painted dark blue all over but with 15 gold stars in a circle on the trail. I'd love it if Air Orange could knock something together.

Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:44 pm

Euro World Airlines perhaps!

I agree that this was a marvellous opportunity to come up with something radically different which has been lost thanks to vested interests of those that must have a Belgian (or Brussels!  Big grin) national airline at all costs.

As for VG Airlines ... the more I hear and the longer the fiasco continues, the more convinced I am that van Gaever couldn't run a p*ss-up in one of Belgium's many excellent breweries!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

keesje

Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:08 pm

SN Brussels Airlines

Not what I would call a "catchy" name.

Who the hell came up with this one ?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

gaut

Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:43 pm

Scottb,

First, as said before, they keep the famous S livery and the SN code because:

-SN has a excellent safety record
-SN was a famous name, especially in Africa and they want to begin flights to FIH,NBO,EBB
-To save on livery costs

About the ad, it was true. Sabena has not a good reputation before the SR arrival but the service was much better after. I 've flown before and after the service improvement and believe me you see the differences (seat pitch, IFE, services...)

I agree with you this SN sounds strange but just call the new carrier "Brussels Airlines"

Ceilidh,

I agree that this was a marvellous opportunity to come up with something radically different which has been lost thanks to vested interests of those that must have a Belgian (or Brussels! ) national airline at all costs.

Brussels Airlines is a more european name than AirFrance, BA, Alitalia... and yes it still a little bit national because every country wants his national carrier. Do you remember what's happened to the BA CEO when he decided to drop the Union Jack.
Anyway thank you for the encouragement.

VG is a big mystery!! They have corporate indentity, planes, crew, maintenance contract but they can't fly  SmileIt's a pity because it could be a good way to begin African operations with a belgian crew. Maybe AirOrange has some news from Freddy. (I don't understand who he ran two airlines)

Gaut

airsicknessbag

Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:53 pm

Brussels Airlines - how incredibly provincial. And on the other hand, still clinging to the past. SN stays SN, apparently, no changes. Just like Swissair and Swiss Air Lines. Companies nowadays just can´t let go of their old names...

Daniel Smile

nfx

Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:16 pm

your opinion daniel

imho brussels airlines is much more advanced than british midland, british airways, air france, austrian, etc.

only sas is somewhere near

airsicknessbag

Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:20 pm

Of course, everything I post here is my opinion - and I don´t expect anybody to fall to their knees and chant "oh you´re so right, oh you´re so right".

Daniel Smile

manni

RE: Scottb

Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:35 pm

I wonder if you ever have flown SN on trans atlantic flights?

I fly every now and then on AA, DL and CO and IMO if they ever reach the level of service, especially inflight, like SN used to have in the times of their existence then they can be called "GOOD".

SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

nfx

Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:44 am

some people might do anyway daniel  Smile

flying lsd

Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:19 am

The next weeks will be amazing :

maybe a merger with VEX for the summer timetable beginning the last sunday of march.

the launch of the new identity at the end of february

the launch of a new batch of Euro-destination

maybe the launch of some african destination

maybe a american partnership
or the integration in a world alliance.

the opening of the pier A in Brussels airport , home of SN Brussels airlines

For belgian aviation fan, next months will be great after the disaster of 2001, a black year

Sabena 690

RE: Flying Isd

Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:28 am

Yeah Flying Isd,

That is completely true!!  Big thumbs up

What an amazing year it is going to be!!

I hope for a coöperation with VG-Airlines, and that VG-Airlines will do the African flights. I also hope that the new alliance of DAT-SN Brussels Airlines will be Oneworld with BA and AA.

Best regards,
Frederic  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

SN-A330

Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:58 am

Flying lsd, I really hope you're right. Would be very nice.

Regards, SN-A330

airDD

Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:07 am

Personally I do not think the new new is too bad.

DAT is now a very small airline flying to/from Brussels

Brussels is better known than Belgium

apuneger

Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:58 am

I can only hope that the SN Brussels Airlines management don't lose their heads, and try to become something bigger than they can afford...

I think it's in the company's best interest to stay calm about everyting. Don't try to make deals that you can't afford. If they have to fly to only European destinations for the next five years or so, well I guess that's gonne be it (althoug I'd rather see some heavies of course as an aviation photographer  Smile/happy/getting dizzy ).

And don't forget to mark May 15th in your calendar: opening of Pier A!

Ivan

pressclub

Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:56 am

Hi Sabena 690,

I think joining One World is not easy for SN Brussels Airlines. Especially not when SN Brussels and Virgin merge. British will not allow that rival Virgin participates in One World.

And is One World a good idea? I don't know. What I do know is that this alliance is hit by turbulence now that American and BA are not allowed to codeshare on the transatlantic routes...

Greetz

Pressclub

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos