Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Pilots' Other Functions In Airline.

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:34 am

Just curious. We have CEO's and Presidents doubling as Captains for their respective airlines. Any other positions that pilots hold within the airline while still retaining their flying duties? Do they get two salaries? I don't suppose other airline staff can have two jobs within their airline. Why pilots?

Skyway1

RE: Pilots' Other Functions In Airline.

Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:42 am

I don't know about the pay. Jim Rankin, the president of Skyway Airlines, was an MD-80 captain for Midwest Express while he was interim president. He did quit his pilot duties to be the full time president of Skyway though. Mayeb this is a rare happening, who knows.

Chris

Delta737

Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:25 am

Wow, I knew Jim Rankin when he was just the chief pilot at Skyway. Talk about career advancement!

Doug Taylor
jetcareers.com

HAL

Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:06 pm

They sometimes get involved with the training department too. We have a captain who is director of flight standards, and another in charge of training. In general though, line captains, especially union pilots, are not allowed to be in the union and in management at the same time.

HAL

serge

Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:30 pm

Hi Doug..

A little off topic, I was just wondering which routes you fly the MD-88/90 for Delta? Ever fly into Billings, Montana?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

...Serge

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:11 pm

I hear that pilots even occupy non operations related positions - like auditing - in the airline. What I mean to say is that it is OK for pilots to be considered as managers of their plane and flight. But often they do not know how an airline really works from a marketing, sales and ticketing point of view. But some pilots give the impression that they should have the last word in everything from inflight services to ground ops and more. I don't think this should be the case. I was just wondering how things are in other airlines.

Skyway1

Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:19 pm

Delta737,

I think Jim Rankin was also a chief pilot over at Midwest Express as well, but I could be wrong on that one.

Chris

Delta737

Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:21 am

Yup, I fly into BIL quite a bit! last layover, the captain and I rented a car and drove to Red Lodge.

Chris- Jim Rankin was good chief pilot at Skyway!

Doug Taylor
jetcareers.com

serge

Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:10 am

Wow, thats pretty cool. I live about 1.5 hours fly from there over in Williston, ND.

I'll be there next week on Tuesday evening (flying in on Big Sky), Wednesday morning (flying out on United), then the next week on Tuesday evening (flying back in on United), and finally on Wednesday morning again (going home on Big Sky)....

Let me know if you are going to be there on those days...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

....Serge

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos