SFOATLFlyer

Re: WN Schedule Release 5/18/17 Predictions

Thu May 18, 2017 6:52 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
usflyguy wrote:
BNA-CUN is added along with STL-CUN.

Is BNA Saturday only? That's why I missed it if so.

Yes

So three airlines flying BNA-CUN on Saturday, or does AA/DL get out?

SFOATLFlyer

Thu May 18, 2017 6:55 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
SFOATLFlyer wrote:

You know on that I agree. I thought I read there was a plan to squeeze a couple extra gates in at MDW but I could be wrong. I believe they are getting the use of 2 additional gates at BNA that were shuttered after AA pulled the hub, but again not sure. My airline buddy doesn't work there any more. IMO, the opening of DAL is less convenient for people making cnx, especially since a lot of the newer cities only get 1-2 flights a day. Can make for a long connection wait.

The two gates in BNA (C15 and C17) are up, running and very much in use. I don't know where they would put more gates at MDW, but there is definitely gate space for more flights at MDW if they want to go that direction. It would not be much fun without some improvements landside, though.

southwest1675 wrote:
BNA has an air service announcement from WN at 8:30. I see they added MKE.

I think it's just MKE, although that is a nice add with some opportunities for connections at both ends. It will make my life a whole lot easier and will, I think, capture some passengers who are flying BNA-ORD and driving because MDW-MKE Is a longer drive and many of the connecting options on BNA-MKE today are not convenient.

When I was looking for possible new flights, I noted that WN has added some three stop, one plane change itineraries (I saw BNA-MDW-PIT-BWI-PBI and BNA-HOU-MEM-TPA-SJU). I assume that is not unique to BNA.

I'm just waiting for WN or AS to add PDX from Nashville. It's a big hole for both markets.

Does the E75 have the legs for BNA-PDX? if not, I could maybe see AS putting a 319 on it, but's not going to happen anytime soon until they start integrating VX a/c into the system. I would have thought WN would have done this by now.

LotsaRunway

Thu May 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Even though seasonal, WN is slowly trimming long-hauls from LAS to less than hub cities (BDL, RDU, PHL, DTW). Seasonal cuts of this nature have in the past turned into seasonal Saturday only and then into gone. Cutting back on these must increase connecting demand and thus yield on BWI-LAS and MDW-LAS. Shame to see these losses.

Cubsrule

Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 pm

SFOATLFlyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

The two gates in BNA (C15 and C17) are up, running and very much in use. I don't know where they would put more gates at MDW, but there is definitely gate space for more flights at MDW if they want to go that direction. It would not be much fun without some improvements landside, though.

I think it's just MKE, although that is a nice add with some opportunities for connections at both ends. It will make my life a whole lot easier and will, I think, capture some passengers who are flying BNA-ORD and driving because MDW-MKE Is a longer drive and many of the connecting options on BNA-MKE today are not convenient.

When I was looking for possible new flights, I noted that WN has added some three stop, one plane change itineraries (I saw BNA-MDW-PIT-BWI-PBI and BNA-HOU-MEM-TPA-SJU). I assume that is not unique to BNA.

I'm just waiting for WN or AS to add PDX from Nashville. It's a big hole for both markets.

Does the E75 have the legs for BNA-PDX? if not, I could maybe see AS putting a 319 on it, but's not going to happen anytime soon until they start integrating VX a/c into the system. I would have thought WN would have done this by now.

BNA-PDX is doable but may have to stop once in a while in the winter.

Does QX have any work done on their E75s by Embraer in BNA? I don't think I've seen one over there.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Jshank83

Thu May 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Does QX have any work done on their E75s by Embraer in BNA? I don't think I've seen one over there.

The furthest east I have seen any of them fly from the west coast is MKE and STL. I think everything to BNA has been bigger.

Cubsrule

Thu May 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

The furthest east I have seen any of them fly from the west coast is MKE and STL. I think everything to BNA has been bigger.

Embraer works on all sorts of aircraft that do not see scheduled service to BNA. Heck, B6 is all Airbus here despite sending E90s to Embraer for maintenance. The aircraft going to 4Z have been over there for a couple of months, for instance.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

wnflyguy

Thu May 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Remember this holiday schedule WN still down 12 aircraft vs last years holiday schedule thanks to the 737-300 retirement.
It's a good adjustment by all accounts keeping network coverage.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

phluser

Thu May 18, 2017 8:14 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
Even though seasonal, WN is slowly trimming long-hauls from LAS to less than hub cities (BDL, RDU, PHL, DTW). Seasonal cuts of this nature have in the past turned into seasonal Saturday only and then into gone. Cutting back on these must increase connecting demand and thus yield on BWI-LAS and MDW-LAS. Shame to see these losses.

PHL-LAS just recently went to 2x daily so it's interesting it goes from 1x to 2x back to 1x to no service? There is 1x daily service the first week of January, but that first week is a holdover of the holidays. I wonder if WN will be flying PHL-LAS the second week of January, which is more just plain Winter, while the flight is long, and if F9 would be inclined to add service in October.

stl07

Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm

TWA302 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
I'm not so sure about STL-CUN. F9 already flies a daily a321 and adds in extra flights sometimes when they know there is demand. Unless they are able to beat Frontier's pricing, there would be no need for customers to switch over. Vacation packages default to F9's flight for airfare. I would think it would be smarter to launch a flight to PVR/SJD/HUX or a Caribbean island

Makes sense. I'd be down for PVR/SJD/HUX. Especially SJD. We went their in March via HOU and DEN on the way back, which wasn't bad at all, but the non-stop would be amazing from STL.

Interestingly, I took an F9 flight from STL-HUX a few years ago. It was doing ORD-STL-HUX. Believe it or not, they gave out FREE SODAS. ORD-HUX will be picked up by Volaris so I was assuming WN might want to do STL-HUX. Guess they want to fight F9 in CUN though. STL-PVR is nonstop on apple vacations along with a seasonal to SJD (and rarely HUX)

Jshank83

Thu May 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Embraer works on all sorts of aircraft that do not see scheduled service to BNA. Heck, B6 is all Airbus here despite sending E90s to Embraer for maintenance. The aircraft going to 4Z have been over there for a couple of months, for instance.

I totally read your question wrong. I thought you were asking if they would schedule one nonstop from the west coast. haha. oh well.

dc10lover

Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Their schedule has been extended to January, 2018.
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

OzarkD9S

Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 pm

I for one am glad to see STL-MKE back up to 2 daily. I did a day trip to MKE in December but had to book DL STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL though the fare was quite reasonable. But MKE has this awesome used bookstore that I spent a good deal of time in. Wanted to load up on books but only took a shoulder bag with me. I'll be doing a day trip this December and taking a carry-on big enough to haul a good number of books home with me!
Next Up: STL-ATL-CHS-ATL-STL. MD90, MD88, MD88, 738. 3 T-Tails ourt of 4! :biggrin:

yellowtail

Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Wanted to load up on books but only took a shoulder bag with me. I'll be doing a day trip this December and taking a carry-on big enough to haul a good number of books home with me!

Better yet, you can check that bag for free!
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

SFOATLFlyer

Thu May 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
SFOATLFlyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

BNA-PDX is doable but may have to stop once in a while in the winter.

I haven't seen any but am not there daily. Saw three VA 190's the other day, that was kinda cool.

PVD757

Fri May 19, 2017 1:51 am

PVD-PBI, normally a March and April only flight, makes a Holiday only and Saturday only appearance.

lavalampluva

Fri May 19, 2017 3:25 am

Looks like MKE-MSP is being eliminated and MKE-CLE and MKE-BNA are being added Nov 2017.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

OzarkD9S

Fri May 19, 2017 11:25 am

yellowtail wrote:

OzarkD9S wrote:
Wanted to load up on books but only took a shoulder bag with me. I'll be doing a day trip this December and taking a carry-on big enough to haul a good number of books home with me!

Better yet, you can check that bag for free!

With all the trips I've taken on WN over the years I've never checked a bag yet. Actually haven't checked a bag on anyone post 9/11.
Next Up: STL-ATL-CHS-ATL-STL. MD90, MD88, MD88, 738. 3 T-Tails ourt of 4! :biggrin:

phluser

Sat May 20, 2017 3:55 am

izbtmnhd wrote:
jco613 wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

Not quite sure why anyone would see a second CLE-MKE as a WTF. Those two markets that share a lot of business ties. It's a positive sign for CLE that WN is expanding beyond the additions from CAK. It's been a while since WN took notice of CLE but maybe they were waiting for the CAK/CLE situation to work itself out after the AirTran merger. Bookings for those old CAK routes must be OK and maybe they smell a bit of blood in the water with UA.

Didn't WN try MKE-CAK over MDW-CAK for this reason? We'll see what happens on CLE but CAK had a lot of people head scratching.

I think this will work better with the consolidated operation at CLE. Maybe WN is just trying to scare UA off and drop the second flight once they move off. Time will tell. The fact that WN is tinkering with CLE is interesting since the airline kind of ran a status-quo schedule for several years.

Call me doubtful, but It seems like a lot of WN aircraft seats to fill at 2x daily and not much connection feed likely on either side of CLE or MKE.

In the dead of winter, can leisure travel be stimulated between the two regions? Cleveland to Chicago is driveable and covered by Megabus for a segment of the leisure travel already,so I'm not sure flying CLE to MKE to reach Chicago is very attractive unless the airfare was quite low. And regarding Chicago, CLE-ORD being such a higher frequency service and ORD relatively close to MKE, and the decent Amtrak service between Chicago and Milwaukee coupled in, will compete against CLE-MKE.

I think WN is trying to push out UA and as well then might settle with 1x daily. The problem with going to a 1x as very low frequency is it will be inconvenient to some business pax and thus might not serve the intent as well as 2x daily service from a frequency perspective.
Last edited by phluser on Sat May 20, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

usairways85

Sat May 20, 2017 4:05 am

phluser wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

PHL-LAS just recently went to 2x daily so it's interesting it goes from 1x to 2x back to 1x to no service? There is 1x daily service the first week of January, but that first week is a holdover of the holidays. I wonder if WN will be flying PHL-LAS the second week of January, which is more just plain Winter, while the flight is long, and if F9 would be inclined to add service in October.

Yea this is an interesting one. And I'm pretty sure AA is down in frequency on PHL-LAS over the past 18 months.

rj777

Sat May 20, 2017 4:24 am

I just realized that when SFO and SAN end...... the only city in California that has n/s service from MKE will be LAX! Unless United and/or Delta decide to step it up.

n7371f

Sat May 20, 2017 4:56 am

lavalampluva wrote:
Looks like MKE-MSP is being eliminated and MKE-CLE and MKE-BNA are being added Nov 2017.

DL/NW wins again!!!! WN, SY, Midwest. All driven off. Welcome back $800 3-day purchase one-way fares.

QANTAS747-438

Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 am

I noticed the PM LAX-CUN flight is not there any longer.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

SANFan

Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 pm

rj777 wrote:
I just realized that when SFO and SAN end...... the only city in California that has n/s service from MKE will be LAX! Unless United and/or Delta decide to step it up.

...or Alaska. Actually that's my guess -- perhaps with EMJs, maybe with 737s, but my bet is on AAG, to both SFO and SAN, and sooner rather than later.

bb

GSP psgr

Sat May 20, 2017 11:15 pm

I wonder if at some point we might see WN emulate the old America West/US Airways midnight connecting banks at LAS now that they can do redeyes. High fuel costs killed it more than anything else back then, but it could be a good way for Southwest to increase utilization.

LotsaRunway

Sun May 21, 2017 1:48 am

I wonder if redeyes out of LAS would change the math for bringing back some of the long-hauls that have been cut? (PHL, RDU, DTW, BDL, PVD, MHT, ORF, ALB all come to mind) If they can increase aircraft utilization, it just might be enough.

phluser

Sun May 21, 2017 3:13 am

n7371f wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

DL/NW wins again!!!! WN, SY, Midwest. All driven off. Welcome back $800 3-day purchase one-way fares.

MKE-MSP was an inherited route from AirTran but AirTran timed MKE service better for connections as a hub, and had fewer seats to fill.

If MKE-SFO/SAN/MSP are cut in exchange for MKE-CLE/BNA even if the latter is 2x daily, it seems like a net loss for MKE, and I'm doubtful is MKE-CLE at 2x is sustainable. It wasn't even a change to MKE-OAK, but just elimination of MKE-SFO/Bay Area service which must sting more. I do wonder with the prevalence of Uber/Lyft, it makes airport to train transfer(s) and vice versa, a lot cheaper, and this ultimately makes even more easy for a Milwaukee based pax to use O'Hare or Midway, thus increasing bleed to the Chicago airports which have more service, at the detriment of MKE.

While I stated at one point that WN might accommodate a couple of it's LGA slots for LGA-FLL, maybe it would come at the expense of MKE, if WN is retreating from MKE and only has so many LGA slots. And who'd benefit on MKE-LGA if WN ended service, DL probably the most.

tomaheath

Sun May 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Has anyone searched the MAXs flights yet?

knope2001

Sun May 21, 2017 1:26 pm

phluser wrote:

MKE-MSP was an inherited route from AirTran but AirTran timed MKE service better for connections as a hub, and had fewer seats to fill.

If MKE-SFO/SAN/MSP are cut in exchange for MKE-CLE/BNA even if the latter is 2x daily, it seems like a net loss for MKE, and I'm doubtful is MKE-CLE at 2x is sustainable. It wasn't even a change to MKE-OAK, but just elimination of MKE-SFO/Bay Area service which must sting more. I do wonder with the prevalence of Uber/Lyft, it makes airport to train transfer(s) and vice versa, a lot cheaper, and this ultimately makes even more easy for a Milwaukee based pax to use O'Hare or Midway, thus increasing bleed to the Chicago airports which have more service, at the detriment of MKE.

While I stated at one point that WN might accommodate a couple of it's LGA slots for LGA-FLL, maybe it would come at the expense of MKE, if WN is retreating from MKE and only has so many LGA slots. And who'd benefit on MKE-LGA if WN ended service, DL probably the most.

Both MKE-SFO and MKE-SAN are being cut seasonally per Southwest. We don't know if the "season" will run April through November, or just June-August, or something else. Given the current fleet shortage it wouldn't be a huge surprise for one or both to return as year round in a year or two if nobody else jumps in. I'm not as bummed about these as I might otherwise be because (a) they are seasonal cuts and (b) the UA/AS arms race in SFO and Alaska's general California growth suggests we may well see somebody new enter one or both markets.

Having lost another LaGuardia frequency is disappointing, though I do wonder if it will be a seasonal trim. Both LaGuardia and Boston do just fine 2/3 of the year but in winter they struggle to exceed 50-55%.

The Southwest Milwaukee schedule included 2 new Nashville, 2 new Cleveland, and the restoration of the 2nd St Louis flight. The loss of Minneapolis was a long time coming, and while I worry what Delta will do to fares it's a market with ample service. These shorter hops to STL, BNA and CLE aren't the sorts of routes anybody else are likely to do, so I'm happy to have them. If nobody else backfills SFO nor SAN and they only bring them back for 60 days in summer, well, then yes trading MKE-SAN for another MKE-STL is not a net gain. But I think it opens the door for somebody else to more California competition and it brings us more short-haul flying nobody else would like offer.

As for Cleveland, there's a reason when United de-hubbed CLE Milwaukee was one of the only point-to-point routes kept. At this point the only non-hub United flights from Cleveland (excepet for a smattering of high-volume leisure flights are Boston, LaGuardia, Washington....and Milwaukee. United charges rather high fares yet still reasonably fills twice-daily 50-seat RJ's . That's the market Southwest is aiming for here. The trick will be for Southwest's much better fares to stimulate the market enough to support the big capacity jump. What may help is that Milwaukee has no flights to Akron, Columbus nor Pittsburgh (except for 35 seats per week on OneJet). In addition to people flying between Milwaukee and greater Cleveland, some people bound for other parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania will find there way to these Southwest flights if fares are good.

With this new schedule one CLE-MKE flight continues to Denver, the other to Washington DC. One MKE-CLE flight originates in Phoenix and continues on from Cleveland to Nashville. One can't count on thru and connecting traffic to sustain a route because things change from schedule to schedule, but there is some support which will come there as well.

masseybrown

Sun May 21, 2017 2:31 pm

knope2001 wrote:
As for Cleveland, there's a reason when United de-hubbed CLE Milwaukee was one of the only point-to-point routes kept. United charges rather high fares yet still reasonably fills twice-daily 50-seat RJ's . That's the market Southwest is aiming for here. The trick will be for Southwest's much better fares to stimulate the market enough to support the big capacity jump. What may help is that Milwaukee has no flights to Akron, Columbus nor Pittsburgh (except for 35 seats per week on OneJet). In addition to people flying between Milwaukee and greater Cleveland, some people bound for other parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania will find there way to these Southwest flights if fares are good.

WN's lower fares will also attract some traffic from the northern area of ORD's catchment. Additionally, CO also used to fly from Cleveland to Green Bay and Madison 2 or 3 times a day; although these were hub-supported routes, CO carried a decent amount of O&D. That traffic could now drive to MKE for both lower fares and the convenience of avoiding ORD connections. We'll see how WN does, but I think they have a good shot at filling the planes, especially if UA withdraws its flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos