atypical

Re: WN Schedule Release 5/18/17 Predictions

Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 pm

WN SFO expansion is very limited. Currently WN has the use of 7.5 gates max since Boarding B has partially been demolished.

wnflyguy

Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Everything quite around WN this week. I think most are still in ONE RES Shock!

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

flydulles

Mon May 15, 2017 6:30 pm

wnflyguy you think they announce to the pineapple state?

klm617

Mon May 15, 2017 6:41 pm

The return of FNT-LAS plus increased Florida flying out of FNT
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

dc10lover

Mon May 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Too bad Southwest will not fly between Las Vegas & Bellingham, Washington.
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

phluser

Mon May 15, 2017 9:54 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
At some point, WN needs to improve connectivity to their international markets to support growth in those new markets. FLL is building a nice bank of flights but a lot of the WN system still doesn't have direct links to FLL to connect to those flights. HOU is somewhat better for linkages, but there is still a lot of network that cannot get to most of the carribean without a double connection, which WN doesn't schedule. Perhaps revisiting some marginal FLL markets that were dropped in the past to see if adding international yield makes it work.

WN is probably going to need to bite the bullet at some point and launch LGA-FLL. If they want FLL to have healthy feed, what better way than to send New Yorkers through it. I don't know if the New Jersey side of the NY metropolitan area is enough, but it might be more pax through LGA. It might need to swap LGA-ATL, EWR-FLL for LGA-FLL, EWR-ATL. The NJ Indian/Asian population would likely well support EWR-ATL and EWR-ATL would probably work better for domestic connections while LGA would pull stronger demand to South Florida.

SurfandSnow

Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 am

I see all kinds of exciting opportunities for WN, especially in California (where competition with AS/VX will only continue to increase) and the international realm. Looks like we can expect to see FLL-PLS, perhaps in conjunction with other new services from the key South Florida international gateway...
BNA-CUN
BUR-MDW
BUR-RNO
DAL-TUS
FLL-LGA
FLL-PUJ
FLL-SJO
LAS-PVR
LAS-SJD
LAX-PHL
LAX-SEA
MCI-CUN
MDW-NAS
MDW-PVR
MDW-SJD
MSY-CUN
OAK-CUN
OAK-MCO
OAK-MSP
ONT-SFO
PHX-PVR
PHX-SJD
SAN-PVR
SJC-SJD
SJC-STL
SMF-STL
STL-CUN
STL-PVR
STL-SJD
I've also taken into account increased gate space at STL, which is an excellent alternative to maxed out DAL/MDW when connecting key markets like SJC and SMF with the likes of ATL, Florida, RDU, etc.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

usflyguy

Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 am

The WN Shareholder's Meeting is in Phoenix on Wednesday, the day before the schedule release, along with some other employee events. Will the -8MAX make it on PHX-HNL?

Are PHX-SJD, PHX-PVR, PHX-CUN, etc., etc., etc. coming? I know WN is adding additional gates at PHX.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

ericm2031

Tue May 16, 2017 5:21 am

usflyguy wrote:
The WN Shareholder's Meeting is in Phoenix on Wednesday, the day before the schedule release, along with some other employee events. Will the -8MAX make it on PHX-HNL?

Are PHX-SJD, PHX-PVR, PHX-CUN, etc., etc., etc. coming? I know WN is adding additional gates at PHX.

I don't think they are adding much. I believe during the announcement it was figured out that they are just spacing their gates out more to accommodate the -800/-8 at the S2/S3 concourses and will add S1. And then they will get rid of the S4 concourse or part of it, which will likely be configured to handle some more international arrivals, which WN would probably use some for another international gateway. I can't remember if this was all speculation or if it was actually confirmed, but I remember it being discussed on here and it makes sense.

wnflyguy

Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 pm

usflyguy wrote:

I think PHX-SJD and PHX-CUN could both come at the expense of LAX.
I can see Both SJD and CUN lose their early morning flights to LAX flights and send those aircraft to PHX.
This would capture PHX O&D traffic plus connections.
With the LAX terminal relocations and WN being forced out of T2 for Tom Bradley the passengers experience is horrible now.
PHX would bring same terminal location for easy connections.
Low stress for customs in PHX with shorter transit times.
LAX can be quick or hours depending on how many A380 deplaned before you.
Both Of the remaining LAX flights to CUN and SJD can be upgraded to 737-800 for peak season.
I think PHX will see international flying in 2018.
The only way I see it happening in November or December 2017 is again with some pull back from LAX since the fleet reduction.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

jplatts

Tue May 16, 2017 3:37 pm

usflyguy wrote:

The Boeing 737 MAX 8 has a range of 4045 miles, and the distance between PHX and HNL is only 2911 miles. PHX-HNL is within the range of the 737 MAX 8. Even MCI, DAL, and HOU are within 4045 miles of HNL.

Will Boeing produce a variant of the 737 MAX 8 that would increase the fuel capacity and that would make it easier for Southwest to do HNL-DAL, HNL-HOU, and HNL-MCI nonstops?

SteveXC500

Tue May 16, 2017 3:50 pm

jplatts wrote:
usflyguy wrote:

The Boeing 737 MAX 8 has a range of 4045 miles, and the distance between PHX and HNL is only 2911 miles. PHX-HNL is within the range of the 737 MAX 8. Even MCI, DAL, and HOU are within 4045 miles of HNL.

Will Boeing produce a variant of the 737 MAX 8 that would increase the fuel capacity and that would make it easier for Southwest to do HNL-DAL, HNL-HOU, and HNL-MCI nonstops?

MSP-HNL won't happen on WN, but it is only 3,451 nm.

Anyway, no real insights here, but my MSP hopes are DAL to finally be brought on and the return (permanently) of LAS. I have no idea what the loads were on LAS in March and April yet.
MSP has recently had BWI start up last year and BNA starts in less than a month from now. Prior to that, the adds were minimal, but loads are good - above the average for WN - out of MSP. And if you cut MKE out, the numbers would look much better.

crazytoaster

Tue May 16, 2017 4:02 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
Since this is for the end of the year holiday period, I would be very surprised if they opened any new markets with this schedule. I also think, there will be some traditional non-peak schedule trimming. Dots to sunny location could get connected, and I'm still thinking FLL needs better connectivity to feed those international flights at the growing hub. The longer WN waits, the stronger B6 becomes there. There are some other Florida to other dots that could be seasonally connected for the cold weather season.

Max watch: Thus far, it appears the Max8 is just getting rotated in the the schedule without any special mission to capitalize on its functionality. When and where will this new bird be put to the test to showcase what it can do? I'm surprised they are not already taking over the transcons from BWI and MCO.

I agree that FLL needs more domestic connectivity. Checking schedules randomly for each month for DEN-FLL. It is only run 1x daily except for some Saturdays which are 2x. Not a single one of those flights arrives before 4 PM making it very difficult to connect to any of the current international flights from FLL as most leave before then. DEN is one of the largest stations for WN and has very limited service to FLL. Many other smaller markets run only 1x daily to FLL making it difficult to build international connections for either inbound or outbound.

Maybe it is time for WN to really bulk FLL up? "As of March 16, 2017, Southwest will offer up to 65 departures a day to 35 cities".

Other than maybe an FLL build up in the near future, it might not be this schedule, I'd like to see redeyes.
IND homebase, soon to be DEN

swafa

Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm

jplatts wrote:
usflyguy wrote:

But are they in range when the plane loses and engine half way between the west coast and hnl and has to descend to single engine operating altitude, continue to destination or return to the mainland and land with appropriate reserves?

tysmith95

Tue May 16, 2017 5:27 pm

BOS to FLL or CUN

CIDFlyer

Tue May 16, 2017 5:33 pm

this DSM struggling is a bunch of non sense. For 3 flights a day against numerous AA/DL/UA flights and having a 10% market share seems pretty good to me. It appears the switch from MDW to STL was also beneficial. It added a market that historically was served and the ever growing STL focus city is providing more connecting opportunities. DEN I would think would be the next logical non stop. Im actually surprised it wasnt started in place if LAS. A couple of DEN flights would bring DSM up to 5 flights a day.

Midwestindy

Tue May 16, 2017 5:37 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
I see all kinds of exciting opportunities for WN, especially in California (where competition with AS/VX will only continue to increase) and the international realm. Looks like we can expect to see FLL-PLS, perhaps in conjunction with other new services from the key South Florida international gateway...
BNA-CUN
BUR-MDW
BUR-RNO
DAL-TUS
FLL-LGA
FLL-PUJ
FLL-SJO
LAS-PVR
LAS-SJD
LAX-PHL
LAX-SEA
MCI-CUN
MDW-NAS
MDW-PVR
MDW-SJD
MSY-CUN
OAK-CUN
OAK-MCO
OAK-MSP
ONT-SFO
PHX-PVR
PHX-SJD
SAN-PVR
SJC-SJD
SJC-STL
SMF-STL
STL-CUN
STL-PVR
STL-SJD
I've also taken into account increased gate space at STL, which is an excellent alternative to maxed out DAL/MDW when connecting key markets like SJC and SMF with the likes of ATL, Florida, RDU, etc.

Very generous with STL I see

upwardfacing

Tue May 16, 2017 6:11 pm

STL is actually a nice mid-continent location, and possibly also underserved.

Jshank83

Tue May 16, 2017 6:29 pm

The STL airport administrator was on the radio today. She said 3 of the 4 new gates are opening in June with the other one opening later in the year. That makes me a little more optomistic about more flight later in the year (this schedule update) because one is opening later and they all aren't opening now, when I would have said I don't expect much, if any.

The only two I think would be on the near horizon are CUN and CVG. Besides those two I really have no clue. CHS/PNS I wouldn't have guessed. I think their need to be more flights to FLL (only one at the moment). Maybe JAX/ABQ/CLT are options?

flydulles

Tue May 16, 2017 6:55 pm

I think they need to beef up Dulles now that frontier really beefing up Dulles...?

southwest1675

Tue May 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
BNA-CUN
BUR-MDW
BUR-RNO
DAL-TUS
FLL-LGA
FLL-PUJ
FLL-SJO
LAS-PVR
LAS-SJD
LAX-PHL
LAX-SEA
MCI-CUN
MDW-NAS
MDW-PVR
MDW-SJD
MSY-CUN
OAK-CUN
OAK-MCO
OAK-MSP
ONT-SFO
PHX-PVR
PHX-SJD
SAN-PVR
SJC-SJD
SJC-STL
SMF-STL
STL-CUN
STL-PVR
STL-SJD

Very generous with STL I see

I think BNA would make a better alternative station

ROCDLFAN

Tue May 16, 2017 7:28 pm

flydulles wrote:
I think they need to beef up Dulles now that frontier really beefing up Dulles...?

We get it, you love IAD. WN at IAD won't really ever be anything more than a typical market, especially after the routes they sliced a few years back. There's no need for them to expand considering the proximity of DCA and BWI. And expanding because F9 is trying one of their experiments again is pointless.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

usflyguy

Tue May 16, 2017 7:39 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
usflyguy wrote:

I can see Both SJD and CUN lose their early morning flights to LAX flights and send those aircraft to PHX.
With the LAX terminal relocations and WN being forced out of T2 for Tom Bradley the passengers experience is horrible now.
Both Of the remaining LAX flights to CUN and SJD can be upgraded to 737-800 for peak season.
The only way I see it happening in November or December 2017 is again with some pull back from LAX since the fleet reduction.

Flyguy

LAX isn't aimed at people making connections.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

wnflyguy

Tue May 16, 2017 8:19 pm

usflyguy wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
usflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I totally understand LAX isn't being geared for connections.
I think the 2 daily LAX-SJD and 2 LAX-CUN is a over kill.
From everything I've heard both early CUN-LAX and SJD-LAX loads are horrible.
Makes better since to add a new market like PHX.
We're your only competition is AA for O&D traffic.
Also you would benefit from the arrival and departure times in PHX to consider connections to
Other west coast markets like BUR,ONT,RNO,ABQ,SLC,SMF,SJC,SEA,PDX,BOI,GEG,ELP and ICT.
Again connections in PHX vs LAX are night and day now that WN inbound arrivels are at TBI or Remote gates .

I know WN had it's own bus to connect T1 to T2.
But it's a haul and time consuming from TBI to T1.

We should know tomorrow if anything international being planned for PHX.

Hawaii if it's to happen in 2018 I would expect WN to plan a big hoopla with the first MAX800 delivery ceremony.
Since they pushed Hawaii back to 2018 and the MAX .

Other than my own nut job speculation.
I would be surprised if anything is announced tomorrow.

Flyguy

Midwestindy

Wed May 17, 2017 12:47 am

upwardfacing wrote:

Nice location I can definitely agree with, underserved I can not agree with. To be honest very few airports these days are truly underserved and STL is not one of them, especially on WN. I mean C'mon STL has flights to TUL, ICT, DSM, OMA, and 40 other cities on WN, how is that underserved. Especially with an economy that is lagging behind other WN stations like BNA and AUS. STL is very lucky to have its location or else most of its flights would be gone

jplatts

Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 am

Southwest might be able to further expand from MEM to STL, MCI, MSP, MKE, IND, CMH, DEN, PHX, LAS, OAK, SAN, MSY, ATL, FLL, PHL, and BOS with Delta only doing nonstops to 6 of its hubs from MEM. I would not expect Southwest to add nonstops from MEM to all 16 of these markets, but there might be enough demand for Southwest to add nonstop service to additional cities that are currently not served nonstop from MEM.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 am

jplatts wrote:
Southwest might be able to further expand from MEM to STL, MCI, MSP, MKE, IND, CMH, DEN, PHX, LAS, OAK, SAN, MSY, ATL, FLL, PHL, and BOS with Delta only doing nonstops to 6 of its hubs from MEM. I would not expect Southwest to add nonstops from MEM to all 16 of these markets, but there might be enough demand for Southwest to add nonstop service to additional cities that are currently not served nonstop from MEM.

DEN and LAS to steal Frontier's thunder.

MEM as a no plane change stop between STL and MSY, though STL isn't that much of a drive from MEM.

FLL and BOS (see above) or Jet Blue will eventually get a clue.

OAK could be a sleeper and backdoor to the San Fran market.

Eventually Alaska will get a clue on west coast routes coupled with a direct from American to LAX, the code share could help with that.

I can only dream for SAN on WN.

SFOATLFlyer

Wed May 17, 2017 2:23 am

Midwestindy wrote:
upwardfacing wrote:

Nice location I can definitely agree with, underserved I can not agree with. To be honest very few airports these days are truly underserved and STL is not one of them, especially on WN. I mean C'mon STL has flights to TUL, ICT, DSM, OMA, and 40 other cities on WN, how is that underserved. Especially with an economy that is lagging behind other WN stations like BNA and AUS. STL is very lucky to have its location or else most of its flights would be gone

If anything, STL was overly served at the height of the TWA hub. Just being in the center of the country doesn't mean a city should be a hub. Folks in KC can attest to that. STL has a very good mix of ops from WN. There may be adds, but it'll never be the size of WN's major hubs (yes, they are hubs regardless of WN's designations).

SFOATLFlyer

Wed May 17, 2017 2:27 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
jplatts wrote:

MEM as a no plane change stop between STL and MSY, though STL isn't that much of a drive from MEM.

Eventually Alaska will get a clue on west coast routes coupled with a direct from American to LAX, the code share could help with that.

You're really overly optimistic that MEM is going to get as much love from WN as you'd like. If they ever get over 30-40 flights a day on WN I'd be shocked.

jplatts

Wed May 17, 2017 4:13 am

SFOATLFlyer wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
jplatts wrote:

You're really overly optimistic that MEM is going to get as much love from WN as you'd like. If they ever get over 30-40 flights a day on WN I'd be shocked.

Even though Southwest usually has at least one nonstop to a city west of DAL from most of the U.S. cities that it serves, Southwest does not currently have nonstop service from MEM to any city west of DAL.

Jshank83

Wed May 17, 2017 4:53 am

SFOATLFlyer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
upwardfacing wrote:

If anything, STL was overly served at the height of the TWA hub. Just being in the center of the country doesn't mean a city should be a hub. Folks in KC can attest to that. STL has a very good mix of ops from WN. There may be adds, but it'll never be the size of WN's major hubs (yes, they are hubs regardless of WN's designations).

As someone who has STL as my home airport I think our service is about right. We have nonstops to about all major cities and a lot of mid major cities. There aren't many left to add. Going to 2x a day to some of the 1x a day markets is about all I can ask for anymore of WN. We have multiple airlines flying daily to the west coast such as SAN, LAX, Bay Area, PDX and SEA so that's good. When STL had TWA they had over 30 million a year and obviously was only because it was a big hub with lots of connections. It's going to be around 15 mil this year so I don't think anyone in STL can complain. All I really want now is JFK flights for European connection reasons, a 2nd carrier to BOS, and one or two TATL (no WOW). This is a WN thread so I'll try to get back to topic by saying I think our service is good and I agree STL is lucky it is in the center of the country and WN decided to use STL as a spillover from MDW. Plus, whoever got STL exempt from the Wright Amendment, so WN could fly STL-DAL should be thanked. That has helped STL greatly. It probably also helps that STL has tons of available gate space for them.

jetmatt777
Crew

Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 am

wnflyguy wrote:
usflyguy wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I totally understand LAX isn't being geared for connections.
I think the 2 daily LAX-SJD and 2 LAX-CUN is a over kill.
From everything I've heard both early CUN-LAX and SJD-LAX loads are horrible.
Makes better since to add a new market like PHX.
We're your only competition is AA for O&D traffic.
Also you would benefit from the arrival and departure times in PHX to consider connections to
Other west coast markets like BUR,ONT,RNO,ABQ,SLC,SMF,SJC,SEA,PDX,BOI,GEG,ELP and ICT.
Again connections in PHX vs LAX are night and day now that WN inbound arrivels are at TBI or Remote gates .

I know WN had it's own bus to connect T1 to T2.
But it's a haul and time consuming from TBI to T1.

We should know tomorrow if anything international being planned for PHX.

Hawaii if it's to happen in 2018 I would expect WN to plan a big hoopla with the first MAX800 delivery ceremony.
Since they pushed Hawaii back to 2018 and the MAX .

Other than my own nut job speculation.
I would be surprised if anything is announced tomorrow.

Flyguy

I wouldn't consider ABQ a west coast market. It's roughly even with Denver and Casper, WY neother of which are west coast. Wichita, KS is definitely not on the west coast.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Midwestindy

Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 am

jplatts wrote:
SFOATLFlyer wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Even though Southwest usually has at least one nonstop to a city west of DAL from most of the U.S. cities that it serves, Southwest does not currently have nonstop service from MEM to any city west of DAL.

With all due respect, the MEM economy is not built for lots of non-stops to the west coast. If it was MEM would have flights to the west coast outside of LAX. Who is going to fill those flights to SAN, SEA, OAK, or SFO?

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 17, 2017 11:33 am

Midwestindy wrote:
jplatts wrote:
SFOATLFlyer wrote:

With all due respect, the MEM economy is not built for lots of non-stops to the west coast. If it was MEM would have flights to the west coast outside of LAX. Who is going to fill those flights to SAN, SEA, OAK, or SFO?

My Brother for one as he flies a MEM -So Cal- Pac Northwest triangle often. His clients consist of ATT, Sony, Nike, and Williams Sonoma ro name a few. And...I didn't say anything that the MEM airport doesn't say a couple of times a year when they talk about their top 10 markets they want service to It would be interesting to watch Memphis numbers this year as they had 13,000 more seats sold in March than last. One would assume that bodes well for nice increases this summer. With over 13 quarters in a row of decreasing fares at Memphis no one really knows the potential of Memphis as a O&D market.

jbmitt

Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
jplatts wrote:

My Brother for one as he flies a MEM -So Cal- Pac Northwest triangle often. His clients consist of ATT, Sony, Nike, and Williams Sonoma ro name a few. And...I didn't say anything that the MEM airport doesn't say a couple of times a year when they talk about their top 10 markets they want service to It would be interesting to watch Memphis numbers this year as they had 13,000 more seats sold in March than last. One would assume that bodes well for nice increases this summer. With over 13 quarters in a row of decreasing fares at Memphis no one really knows the potential of Memphis as a O&D market.

Every city is going to have people traveling for work. You need around 120 people each day to make most of these routes work. Like others have said, MEM doesn't have that corporate environment to make it work. I think WN might add flights, but not significantly. There is no sense adding flights that they have to discount to fill, when other markets will fill seats at better margins.

flydulles

Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 pm

anybody expect any news out of the share holders meeting today at 10 am mountain time ? would this be type of event to break some big news example hawaii ect ?

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 17, 2017 1:08 pm

jbmitt wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Every city is going to have people traveling for work. You need around 120 people each day to make most of these routes work. Like others have said, MEM doesn't have that corporate environment to make it work. I think WN might add flights, but not significantly. There is no sense adding flights that they have to discount to fill, when other markets will fill seats at better margins.

Good Lord, did I mention if they were daily or twice daily, once a week or anything else. Here's what I know. If you are flying to LAX on Southwest, one of the daily flights to DAL is a no plane change option to LAX. Folks in MEM know this is a de facro nonstop and so does WN as it is priced higher. I've been on flights from MCO to MEM where there's been some passengers I've sat by going to Baltimore and MEM was a no plane change stop for them. These kind of combinations can be played out to west coast destinations easily from Denver and/or LAS. Sothwest specializes in this. If Frontier saw fit to stick a A321 on the Memphis flight maybe, just maybe, that is over 120 passengers a day consdieting United flys it too. It was one of the highest load factor flights from MEM on a 320 hence the 321 upgrade from Frontier. I imagine Frontier knows how many are going to Vegas on it, thus the recent add of LAS at 4x weekly. Knowing how many of my friends go to Vegas for a weekend about once a year, I suspect we'll see cheaper connecting prices on Southwest and American via Dallas as a result. Like I've said before WN still enjoys bleed from MEM to it's LIT/LAS flight. I mean come on, LIT has it but not MEM You think LIT has your 120 passengers a day but MEM can't?

Anyone who adds MEM/FLL and offers a good selection of further Carribean destinations like B6 or WN will slap themselves for not doing it earlier.

SunsetLimited

Wed May 17, 2017 1:22 pm

For the record, the F9 MEM-DEN is going back to an A320.

I do see some more WN growth at MEM, maybe 2X daily DEN to start. I don't really see LAS since with both F9 and G4 on the route the local O&D is likely covered, and DEN could handle western connections with ease. FLL - perhaps a Saturday-only flight for starters.

Point is, there is some untapped demand in MEM. Not a crazy amount, but ultimately I can see WN get up to around 20 flights/day from the city.
Spread hope like fire.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

I do see some more WN growth at MEM, maybe 2X daily DEN to start. I don't really see LAS since with both F9 and G4 on the route the local O&D is likely covered, and DEN could handle western connections with ease. FLL - perhaps a Saturday-only flight for starters.

Point is, there is some untapped demand in MEM. Not a crazy amount, but ultimately I can see WN get up to around 20 flights/day from the city.

Any flight that WN adds to an Allegiqnt or Frontier destination will likely come at the expense of their service to it. The folks will simply switch to Southwest.

Frontier likely went back to a 320 because of the loss of connecting traffic to LAS.

Let's compare two cities in Tenn. Memphis and Nashville. Now, Nashville has been the economic better of the two since the mid 90's. There's no sugarcoating that. There's a multitude of reasons. WN moved onto Nashville when it was "under" Memphis via American dehubbing. But let's get on with the point. What are the CSAs of the two cities today. This is the likely immediate catchment areas of MEM and BNA.

Memphis:
The greater Mid-South area as a whole has a population of 2.4 million according to 2013 census estimates. This area is covered by Memphis local news channels and includes the Missouri Bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, West Tennessee, and North
Mississippi.

Nashville:
The Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro, TN, Combined Statistical Area (CSA) is the result of the addition of the Micropolitan Statistical Areas of Shelbyville (Bedford County), Lawrenceburg (Lawrence County) and Lewisburg (Marshall County) to the Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN, Metropolitan Statistical Area. The estimated population of the CSA as of July 1, 2016, was 1,987,778.

Combine the fact that Memphis and Little Rock are 2 hours apart and any potential "destination" nonstop adds at MEM is likely to see some bleed from the Little Rock area whose CSA is over 800,000.

The point is this. Memphis had been so suppressed after years of expensive hub domination no one really knows what Memphis can be as an O&D airport.

Someone, like WN in STL and BNA, will reap the benefits as folks consider flying instead of driving thanks to better pricing. Some folks simply drove to places 10 plus hrs away simply due to the cost of MEM at the time. I can't tell you how many people just drove to Florida for vacation that are now flying in just the past couple of years.

USAirALB

Wed May 17, 2017 3:06 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see STL-CLT.
E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77W, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343

TWA302

Wed May 17, 2017 3:18 pm

With the three new gates opening in D at STL next month, it will allow for some more growth. For my personal/business travel I could see the following from STL

What could happen
STL-SLC
STL- CLT
TUL- MDW - (not STL but one that I would like to see)

My dream list
STL-SJD (Seasonal)
STL-CUN (Seasonal)
STL-PUJ (Seasonal)
LAS-MSP

jplatts

Wed May 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Will Southwest be announcing new nonstop service from HOU to destinations in California and in the Midwest that are not currently served nonstop from HOU tomorrow?

SteveXC500

Wed May 17, 2017 4:27 pm

TWA302 wrote:
With the three new gates opening in D at STL next month, it will allow for some more growth. For my personal/business travel I could see the following from STL

What could happen
STL-SLC
STL- CLT
TUL- MDW - (not STL but one that I would like to see)

My dream list
STL-SJD (Seasonal)
STL-CUN (Seasonal)
STL-PUJ (Seasonal)
LAS-MSP

LAS-MSP was recently served for only March and April.

SFOATLFlyer

Wed May 17, 2017 6:52 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Any flight that WN adds to an Allegiqnt or Frontier destination will likely come at the expense of their service to it. The folks will simply switch to Southwest.

Frontier likely went back to a 320 because of the loss of connecting traffic to LAS.

Let's compare two cities in Tenn. Memphis and Nashville. Now, Nashville has been the economic better of the two since the mid 90's. There's no sugarcoating that. There's a multitude of reasons. WN moved onto Nashville when it was "under" Memphis via American dehubbing. But let's get on with the point. What are the CSAs of the two cities today. This is the likely immediate catchment areas of MEM and BNA.

Memphis:
The greater Mid-South area as a whole has a population of 2.4 million according to 2013 census estimates. This area is covered by Memphis local news channels and includes the Missouri Bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, West Tennessee, and North
Mississippi.

Nashville:
The Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro, TN, (CSA) is the result of the addition of the Micropolitan Statistical Areas of Shelbyville (Bedford County), Lawrenceburg (Lawrence County) and Lewisburg (Marshall County) to the Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN, Metropolitan Statistical Area. The estimated population of the CSA as of July 1, 2016, was 1,987,778.

Combine the fact that Memphis and Little Rock are 2 hours apart and any potential "destination" nonstop adds at MEM is likely to see some bleed from the Little Rock area whose CSA is over 800,000.

The point is this. Memphis had been so suppressed after years of expensive hub domination no one really knows what Memphis can be as an O&D airport.

Someone, like WN in STL and BNA, will reap the benefits as folks consider flying instead of driving thanks to better pricing. Some folks simply drove to places 10 plus hrs away simply due to the cost of MEM at the time. I can't tell you how many people just drove to Florida for vacation that are now flying in just the past couple of years.

Back in the day of the Bette Bus + MEM hub, there was some bleed from LIT. I don't know how much so now. Also, your numbers are wrong for Memphis. The Census Bureau lists the PSA for Memphis at 1,370,000+. The number you list for Nashville is correct. Regardless, Nashville's growth led the pax numbers to finally recover and go above the AA hub days. MEM is less connected because the demand apparently isn't there. Then again, MEM has a hub BNA would surely love to have, FedEx. I suspect the patterns will continue into the next decade.

airliner371

Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will Southwest be announcing new nonstop service from HOU to destinations in California and in the Midwest that are not currently served nonstop from HOU tomorrow?

Dude, come on. Who knows. There aren't dumb questions but this certainly isn't an intelligent one. You can at least word it more eloquently.
Take a little time and enjoy the view.

upwardfacing

Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 pm

SFOATLFlyer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
upwardfacing wrote:

Fair enough; I was thinking in terms of constraints for Southwest at MDW.

stl07

Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm not so sure about STL-CUN. F9 already flies a daily a321 and adds in extra flights sometimes when they know there is demand. Unless they are able to beat Frontier's pricing, there would be no need for customers to switch over. Vacation packages default to F9's flight for airfare. I would think it would be smarter to launch a flight to PVR/SJD/HUX or a Caribbean island

ScottB

Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 pm

phluser wrote:
WN is probably going to need to bite the bullet at some point and launch LGA-FLL. If they want FLL to have healthy feed, what better way than to send New Yorkers through it. I don't know if the New Jersey side of the NY metropolitan area is enough, but it might be more pax through LGA. It might need to swap LGA-ATL, EWR-FLL for LGA-FLL, EWR-ATL.

The problem for WN, and the primary reason why they won't serve LGA-FLL, is that they just don't have enough slots at LGA to do so and keep a business-friendly schedule to LGA from their key markets. Dropping ATL-LGA would be walking away from a key business travel market, and no, ATL-EWR isn't an adequate substitute for passengers who want to go to LGA. Maintaining a business-friendly network and schedule is important for yields & business market share in places like ATL, STL, MDW, MKE, DEN, DAL, HOU, etc. -- and definitely more important than having to dump cheap connections from LGA over FLL.

crazytoaster wrote:
I agree that FLL needs more domestic connectivity. Checking schedules randomly for each month for DEN-FLL. It is only run 1x daily except for some Saturdays which are 2x. Not a single one of those flights arrives before 4 PM making it very difficult to connect to any of the current international flights from FLL as most leave before then. DEN is one of the largest stations for WN and has very limited service to FLL. Many other smaller markets run only 1x daily to FLL making it difficult to build international connections for either inbound or outbound.

They're going to be limited in building up connectivity at FLL by the facility. They've got eight gates now in Terminal 1 and the new Concourse A will give then four more preferential-use gates (it's not clear to me if gate B1 will come back after construction is complete). But that still doesn't give them a lot of room to build a banked schedule of connections at FLL, assuming the typical mid-day turn for near-international flights. Connections from DEN wouldn't work at all since the DEN-FLL flight would have to depart around 0400 in order to connect to the southbound bank.

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Memphis:
Mississippi.

Nashville:
The Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro, TN, Combined Statistical Area (CSA) is the result of the addition of the Micropolitan Statistical Areas of Shelbyville (Bedford County), Lawrenceburg (Lawrence County) and Lewisburg (Marshall County) to the Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN, Metropolitan Statistical Area. The estimated population of the CSA as of July 1, 2016, was 1,987,778.

It seems like you're making an apples-to-oranges comparison, given that you compare the Memphis media market size to just the CSA population for Nashville. The Nashville media market is ranked 29th versus Memphis at 48th. And if one argues that there could be bleed from Little Rock to MEM, I think it's just as easy to argue bleed from Knoxville & Huntsville to BNA (which seems more plausible given more limited low-fare options at both).

barney captain

Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Southwest Airlines is getting closer to adding Hawaii flights, a vacation destination travelers have been begging the nation's largest domestic airline to add for years.

Southwest CEO Gary Kelly, in Phoenix on Wednesday for Southwest's annual shareholders meeting, said flights to Hawaii are a high priority for the airline. In contrast, he said Canada flights are on the airline's radar but not a priority.

"We're deciding what our plans are for 2018 and Hawaii is important to us,'' Kelly said in a meeting with reporters after the shareholder event in downtown Phoenix.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/a ... 12001/enix.[/quote]
Southeast Of Disorder

dc10lover

Wed May 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Their airfare sales are going on now.

https://southwest.com
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos