Revelation
Topic Author

AA31: Pax Attempts Cockpit Breech?

Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 pm

From https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... an-air-jet

The U.S. is probing an attempted cockpit breach on an American Airlines flight to Honolulu after a passenger placed a laptop near the cockpit door, said a person familiar with the matter.

The passenger was restrained by law enforcement and other fliers on Flight 31 from Los Angeles, the person said. The severity of the threat was still unclear. The pilots made a gradual descent from cruise altitude to lower levels out of precaution to limit the potential damage in the event there was an explosion, according to the official.

Hope this turns out to be nothing, but if true, it's more drama than any of us need right now.

From Twitter:

AirlineGeeks.com ‏Verified account @AirlineGeeks 33m33 minutes ago

#AA31 from Los Angeles to Honolulu was met by F-22 fighter jets from Hawaii Air National Guard, according to ABC.

Also from Twitter:

Gadi Schwartz‏ Verified account @GadiNBC 15m15 minutes ago

Witnesses on #AA31 say arrested passenger had shirt over head. didn't make it past 1st class. Flight attendant blocked aisle, man taken down
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

AngMoh

Re: AA31: Pax Attempts Cockpit Breech?

Sat May 20, 2017 12:26 am

He seemed to have created trouble in LAX but was still allowed to board.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wor ... rt-8867130
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 762 772 773 77W 789 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

airportugal310

Sat May 20, 2017 12:30 am

Airplanes were gate held in HNL for a few while the aircraft approached and landed...
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

RL777

Sat May 20, 2017 12:35 am

This will only add steam to the laptop ban talk, rightly or wrongly. If I were to hazard a guess, the laptop will turn out to be nothing and this guy is mentally ill. Pilots take the necessary action by descending to a lower altitude and seemingly great response by the cabin crew.

danman132x

Sat May 20, 2017 12:54 am

Someone who just wants to create a panic and make sure this laptop ban goes through. Terrorists are winning. They just want to cripple the economy. Fear alone creates all this chaos.

PEK777

Sat May 20, 2017 12:57 am

Was there an actual problem?doesnt seen like much of a revelation

KTPAFlyer

Sat May 20, 2017 1:02 am

This would be very serious if true. It also shows how unbelievably ineffective the current ban is at accomplishing anything.

dfwramper

Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 am

If you look at Flightaware, they dropped down to 10k feet about 750 miles out from Oahu. And then while still 180 miles out they dropped down to 5000 feet. Man I wish I was a passenger on that flight just to look out the window and see the perspective of flying that low over the ocean for that long. I know it's not much to look at, but to me that would have been cool, particularly as you got closer to the islands.

downdata

Sat May 20, 2017 3:12 am

We should consider banning passengers from flights :spin:

77H

Sat May 20, 2017 4:21 am

I was walking to my car after a company meeting at the HNL airport conference rooms and saw the HANG F22s roar off 8L. They seemed to be moving faster and their departure sounded louder than I've ever seen before. Once I got back to my office I heard what happened. AA31 actually parked on the north hardstands next to my office. While door 1L was facing away from me I saw a slew of LEO vehicles swarming the aircraft for several hours.

On a side note, I think this is a sobering reminder that threats still exist onboard commercial aircraft and with all the backlash airline staff have gotten over the last few months for following protocols the public may view as customer unfriendly protocols are there for a reason. Kudos to the crew and passengers onboard the aircraft for containing the issue in a consummate manner.

77H

grbauc

Sat May 20, 2017 4:49 am

Maybe airline was afraid of bad press and wanted to make sure he got on his flight.. another drawback.

Revelation
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 12:55 pm

PEK777 wrote:
Was there an actual problem?doesnt seen like much of a revelation

Aren't you making this a bit too personal? :-)

In any case, we don't know if there was much of a problem. We do know the guy had been causing trouble around 2AM before the flight left at 8AM ( ref: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... an-air-jet ). We know he made what other passengers and/or crew perceived to be a rush for the cockpit and they stopped him before he could do any damage and restrained him in his seat. We know two F22 jets were scrambled to meet the plane and the aircrew did descend early which suggests the crew thought a bomb could be a factor. We know the guy was arrested immediately upon arrival and that the FBI was involved.

Personally I'm surprised more news isn't out there about this incident.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

Mayday111

Sat May 20, 2017 1:03 pm

danman132x wrote:
Someone who just wants to create a panic and make sure this laptop ban goes through. Terrorists are winning. They just want to cripple the economy. Fear alone creates all this chaos.

I agree with you.

Sandsofly

Sat May 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Who's going to fly without their laptop? That would be a disaster.

kiowa

Sat May 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Either the HNL police are a more gentle force or the passenger was not trying a scam for publicity. In either case, why was the passenger allowed on the aircraft in LAX if he was believed to be intoxicated. It is against the FARs to allow a drunk passenger on the aircraft. Someone at AA or the airport security in LAX made a major mistake.

frmrCapCadet

Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 pm

The man's behavior, even as a threat, was peculiar. I suspect some sort of mental impairment.

From the Seattle Times
"It caused worry on the plane, more curiosity than fear I would say because he wasn’t acting irrationally but you could tell something was kind off about him as well,” he said. “Once they took him to the back we never heard anything else about it.”
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

jumbojet

Sat May 20, 2017 6:10 pm

RL777 wrote:
This will only add steam to the laptop ban talk, rightly or wrongly. If I were to hazard a guess, the laptop will turn out to be nothing and this guy is mentally ill. Pilots take the necessary action by descending to a lower altitude and seemingly great response by the cabin crew.

Flying down to a lower altitude isn't always possible. Laptops do need to be banned, on all flights, domestic and international to/from within the USA. You want true safety, than that is the way to go. To bad for the people that feel otherwise. Maybe it will take a disaster for you to change your mind. Just pick an airline that has in seat AVOD and you will be fine. GOGO wifi will soon be a thing of the past.

kiowa

Sat May 20, 2017 6:16 pm

jumbojet wrote:
RL777 wrote:

Flying down to a lower altitude isn't always possible. Laptops do need to be banned, on all flights, domestic and international to/from within the USA. You want true safety, than that is the way to go. To bad for the people that feel otherwise. Maybe it will take a disaster for you to change your mind. Just pick an airline that has in seat AVOD and you will be fine. GOGO wifi will soon be a thing of the past.

Wow, all laptops? because of the lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries? Cell phones use similar batteries. Ban them too? How about people who take lithium prescription drugs? Ban the people or the medicine? I hope your response was sarcastic. It is so hard to tell when writing on my laptop with lithium batteries.

bmacleod

Sat May 20, 2017 6:34 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
The man's behavior, even as a threat, was peculiar. I suspect some sort of mental impairment.

From the Seattle Times
"It caused worry on the plane, more curiosity than fear I would say because he wasn’t acting irrationally but you could tell something was kind off about him as well,” he said. “Once they took him to the back we never heard anything else about it.”

Sounds similar to an event on a UA flight 2 years ago IAD-DEN ...though the UA event appeared to be bigger/more dangerous....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/disruptive-passenger-cause-united-flight-turn-around-n324771
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

kabq737

Sat May 20, 2017 7:46 pm

downdata wrote:
We should consider banning passengers from flights :spin:

Don't give them any ideas...
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 739 738, 744, 752, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, TRIM, MD88

Armodeen

Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 pm

jumbojet wrote:
RL777 wrote:

Maybe they can issue paper underwear at the gate and everyone can wear that onboard and take no belongings. All in the name of safety, you understand.

johns624

Sat May 20, 2017 11:18 pm

kiowa wrote:
In either case, why was the passenger allowed on the aircraft in LAX if he was believed to be intoxicated. It is against the FARs to allow a drunk passenger on the aircraft. Someone at AA or the airport security in LAX made a major mistake.
Did you read the article? The man "claimed" that he was intoxicated but the officers didn't note behavior consistent with that.

DIRECTFLT

Sat May 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Shouldn't the FAA require all commercial flights to carry "plastic handcuffs"? Or, is duct tape what's recommend by the FAA to restrain an unruly passenger?

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DIRECTFLT

Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 pm

dfwramper wrote:
If you look at Flightaware, they dropped down to 10k feet about 750 miles out from Oahu. And then while still 180 miles out they dropped down to 5000 feet. Man I wish I was a passenger on that flight just to look out the window and see the perspective of flying that low over the ocean for that long. I know it's not much to look at, but to me that would have been cool, particularly as you got closer to the islands.

Maybe some pax YT video of that will show up....
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

PA727

Sun May 21, 2017 12:14 am

jumbojet wrote:
RL777 wrote:

What good does that do? Many people fly for business and need their laptops. It's just not that simple. Not to mention, there is inherent risk in anything we do. We cannot create a sanitized world. I don't mean that as a way of saying we shouldn't have security or things in place to protect us from danger. But it will always be a compromise. How much freedom are we willing to sacrifice in the name of safety? We all have different answers. Perhaps we can agree on this, the situation was handled effectively, which to me shows we have a good system in place.

smokeybandit

Sun May 21, 2017 12:35 am

Banning laptops is no safety measure. It actually would make things more dangerous by putting more batteries in the cargo hold as well as inciting more fear in the flying public.

haynflyer

Sun May 21, 2017 7:57 am

Why were the stairs brought to the front of the aircraft if the offender is in the rear? In pictures of the aircraft, there were stairs at the front and back. Is it standard protocol to open the front door first? Why not lead the prisoner out the back instead of walking down the aisle?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos