rookie00
Topic Author

Canadian Air Fares

Sat May 20, 2017 3:06 am

I think it's widely known that Canada has expensive flights, but why? For example I looked up 3 different flights all departing June 1st, all different prices, take a look

Westjet YYZ-YVR Cheapest seat $523.33 (3349 KM)

Southwest BWI-SAN Cheapest seat $226 ($305 Canadian) (3690 KM)

and just for fun

EasyJet LGW-TFS Cheapest seat 74.49 Euros ($113 Canadian) (2915 KM)

As you can see the Canadian route is more then twice the nearest fare... But is this necessary? Air Travel is essential to the economy. Without it there wouldn't be a whole lot of trade with oversea countries unless it's by boat or by car from America. If air fare was cheaper there would also be a lot of people who currently can't afford to fly that would consider exploring a new destination or perhaps traveling more often. The more people flying means the more the airlines make... The more the airlines make the more planes they can buy which in turn fly's to new destinations to gain more travelers and repeat. Another upside with cheaper air fare would mean that the millions of travelers that head south of the border to find cheap flights would consider flying out of a Canadian airport to wherever they are going.

Recap

Essentially why does Canada add a whole bunch of fees to the price so that air fares are sky high?

I thought this would be an interesting topic to bring up on the forum so hopefully we can get a good discussion going about this topic :smile:

diverted

Re: Canadian Air Fares

Sat May 20, 2017 7:12 am

Lots of things.
Look at the fees airports charge, and the taxes the government adds in. If you look at the fare breakdown, the actual fare is much closer to what you see in the US. Remember, YYZ is the most expensive airport in the world, or at least it was a few years ago.

Secondly, there's only two airlines flying YYZ-YVR. Makes it easier to drive up yields than somewhere with 5-6 airlines flying a route.

There's more to it then that, but that's a start.

Gemuser

Sat May 20, 2017 7:53 am

My assumption would be that the Canadian faes include ALL taxes & compulsory charges, the USA ones don't. [EU, no idea]

Gemuser

Pe@rson

Sat May 20, 2017 8:19 am

EU and US include all government taxes and airport fees too.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

longhauler

Sat May 20, 2017 12:09 pm

I am not sure where you are looking, but I see C$ 482.08 on both AC and WS, and 386.43 on TS.
And in July, C$306.73 on AC/WS.

As June 1 is less than two weeks away, it looks like things are filling up. I see internally that on June 1st all Tango fares are sold out on that day, the fare you quote is the next level higher, Economy Flex. Two days later, the cheapest fare is about $360.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

ryan78

Sat May 20, 2017 2:54 pm

diverted wrote:
Secondly, there's only two airlines flying YYZ-YVR. Makes it easier to drive up yields than somewhere with 5-6 airlines flying a route.

Technically there are 4 airlines on the route over the summer. Sunwing and Air Transat both have daily flights from YYZ and Transat has x3 weekly YUL-YVR.

rookie00
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 6:08 pm

longhauler wrote:
I am not sure where you are looking, but I see C$ 482.08 on both AC and WS, and 386.43 on TS.

As June 1 is less than two weeks away, it looks like things are filling up. I see internally that on June 1st all Tango fares are sold out on that day, the fare you quote is the next level higher, Economy Flex. Two days later, the cheapest fare is about $360.

I was looking at either Westjet.com or .ca (Cant remember) last night for the example i provided. It couldve changed since then but at the time the air fare was what I used in my example.

ACDC8

Sun May 21, 2017 3:57 am

longhauler wrote:

$240 CAD for the same day from SEA-EWR. Our taxes and extra fees (and not limited to airline tickets) is ridiculous.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut