qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Wed May 31, 2017 11:59 am

Welcome to the June edition of the Australian Aviation Thread. Please continue add your comments below. Link to May edition viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1361863

Please note: Moderators have decided to let all country/regional aviation threads like this thread be a month long thread instead of the usual 200-250 post limit as per before
Forum Moderator

qf002

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2017

Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Interesting move EK to cancel their SYD-AKL 380 replaced by QF upgauging thief morning flight to a 330 daily and their PM flight six a week to 330. Wonder if the Jetconnect 737s will be redeployed as a result?

Very interesting development and clears the way for EK to add a fourth daily SYD service. EK418 could turn to operate a new EK417 service in the afternoon with a new EK416 arriving in the early-evening and turning to operate EK419.

Also interesting given the JV is up for renewal in 10 months time. QF and EK are probably already talking to the ACCC as they try to negotiate more favourable terms moving forward.

tullamarine wrote:
I assume the 737s will go onto the PER services previously operated by the A330s.

AKL-PER is a bit far for a 738.

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2017 4:15 pm

MH128 to KUL has returned to MEL after a passenger tried to enter the cockpit and claimed to have explosives

MEL currently in lockdown

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/malays ... 35e0066ed1
Forum Moderator

Qantas16

Wed May 31, 2017 10:00 pm

qf002 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
I assume the 737s will go onto the PER services previously operated by the A330s.

AKL-PER is a bit far for a 738.

I presume they meant for SYD/MEL-PER. QF has been running mainline 737s on trans tasman ops due to a shortage of aircraft at Jetconnect, so replacing these with A330s frees up an Oz-registered 737.

RyanairGuru

Wed May 31, 2017 10:11 pm

Qf002 I expect you could be on to something, with a departure time similar to QF1 to feed their third Europe bank and an arrival similar to the new BNE service.

It won't happen straight away but I could definitely see that eventuating within 12 months.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

luftaom

Wed May 31, 2017 11:11 pm

The comment above about the QF/EK ACCC authorisation prompted me to go and read the 2013 authorisation (... sad I know) and one of the entities making a submission (opposing the authorisation) was Jumpjet Airlines.

A google search turned up this: http://jumpjet.net/index.html which I really don't know whether to take seriously or not. I'm going to go with not ... some of the stuff on there is looking at strange in the rear view mirror.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

RoySFlying

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:00 am

From some 40,000 responses Vegemite has been included in the cut of nominations to be the name of one of QF's 787s. The complete list is published in Australian Aviation.

Among famous people included are cricketer Don Bradman, Doctor Fred Hollows, opera singer Joan Sutherland and tennis champion Evonne Goolagong. What? No Margaret Court? I wonder why? ;)

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... 787-names/
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

VirginFlyer

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:23 am

RoySFlying wrote:
From some 40,000 responses Vegemite has been included in the cut of nominations to be the name of one of QF's 787s. The complete list is published in Australian Aviation.

Among famous people included are cricketer Don Bradman, Doctor Fred Hollows, opera singer Joan Sutherland and tennis champion Evonne Goolagong. What? No Margaret Court? I wonder why? ;)

I was going to ask whether Planey McPlaneface had made the list, but I see from the article that Aer Lingus have beaten me to it!

V/F
Having trouble with a malware spam popup advert on A.net mobile site? Share details at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1363111

"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

mariner

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:24 am

RoySFlying wrote:
What? No Margaret Court? I wonder why? ;)/

Oh, I think that would be too wonderful.

AJ could do so in all innocence - she can be called a noteworthy Australian, it would show Mr. Joyce's "generosity of spirit" - LOL - and leave her looking even sillier than she does now.

mariner
aeternum nauta

9MMPD

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:24 am

mariner wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:

AJ could do so in all innocence - she can be called a noteworthy Australian, it would show Mr. Joyce's "generosity of spirit" - LOL - and leave her looking even sillier than she does now.

mariner

Then they could give the jet named 'Margaret Court" the Rainbow Roo scheme!!!!!!

A330freak

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:07 am

From Airline Route's twitter,

-Xiamen Airlines has applied to the CAAC to start 3 weekly Xiamen-Hangzhou-Melbourne flights from December and
-Hainan Airlines has applied for 3 weekly Shenzhen to Cairns services from January next year

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 9784821760
https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 3269874688

RoySFlying

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:14 am

According to the ABC, flights operated by Silk Air from Singapore to Karratha from March 2018.

Karratha mayor, Peter Long, has announced that agreement has been reached with the carrier to trial the flights over a twelve month period. However, before the flights can commence some building work needs to be done to accommodate border protection.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-01/d ... 18/8579520

This can only be a benefit to the region and, if successful, may help reduce its dependency on mining by diversifying the local economy.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

angusjt

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:19 am

RoySFlying wrote:

"Quokka" could be a good selling point for flights to Perth. I'm willing to bet "Vegemite" will make the cut

log0008

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:13 am

A330freak wrote:
From Airline Route's twitter,

-Xiamen Airlines has applied to the CAAC to start 3 weekly Xiamen-Hangzhou-Melbourne flights from December and
-Hainan Airlines has applied for 3 weekly Shenzhen to Cairns services from January next year

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 9784821760
https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 3269874688

Shenzhen-Carins is big because its the first China flight outside of Australian captials - wonder if it will be seasonal?

Shenzhen may soon have connections to MEL, BNE, SYD and CNS

luftaom

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:45 am

RoySFlying wrote:
From some 40,000 responses Vegemite has been included in the cut of nominations to be the name of one of QF's 787s.

Bega/Vegemite's social media team has been spinning this hard - but it is interesting that QF has gone for it (at least initially). If Qantas are going to effectively promote a grocery brand then they'd be crazy not to try and get something valuable in return. The cynic in me wonders whether something has been stitched up in the background and we are about to see Vegemite put on a 787 - no doubt in conjunction with an interesting Qantas/Vegemite cross promotion. A logojet is probably a bit too much given the international nature of Qantas' business (especially when it comes to 787s), but a domestic competition - something along the lines of 'buy a jar of vegemite and win a trip on the new Vegemite Qantas Dreamliner' wouldn't be completely out of the question.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

345tas

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 am

To pick up the convo from the last thread about MEL trying to woo ET...

While the Ethiopian diaspora in Australia is not massive, the East African diaspora in SE Australia overall would be enough to support three or so weekly flights, I would have thought, with the addition of tourist traffic going to Kenya and Tanzania. If a MEL-ADD flight connected to Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan... Yields would be low but I imagine that's ET's business model.

Also, it would make a nice one-stop from TLV to MEL, if the flights are timed well.

Edit: can the 788 or 77L make it?

mariner

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:06 am

345tas wrote:

While the Ethiopian diaspora in Australia is not massive, the East African diaspora in SE Australia overall would be enough to support three or so weekly flights, I would have thought, with the addition of tourist traffic going to Kenya and Tanzania. If a MEL-ADD flight connected to Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan... Yields would be low but I imagine that's ET's business model.

As I said, I wouldn't use my money to fund it - LOL.

Since the one great attraction of East Africa is the game parks, why not fly straight to the source, to NBO say? Why detour through Ethiopia?

mariner
aeternum nauta

eamondzhang

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:46 am

Thought it is interesting that VH-OQE flew to AUH for maintenance on 30 May, as reported by Qantas Source.

I thought that CASA's AUH approval would benefit VA more than QF.... ;)

A330freak

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:06 pm

345tas wrote:

Range shouldn't be an issue since it's roughly the same distance as MEL/SYD to the Middle East or Los Angeles, although takeoff performance out of Addis Ababa probably would be due to altitude.

For example, Ethiopian's flights to the US which are a similar distance to Melboune are operated one stop out of Addis Ababa and direct on the way back.

Dafydd

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:26 pm

http://www.theislanderonline.com.au/sto ... -in-to-ki/

“QANTAS have announced they will commence flights year round from Kangaroo Island to Adelaide return and Kangaroo Island to Melbourne return in December and January (only)."

This is a return for QantasLink to Kangaroo Island from both ADL & MEL.

cougar15

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:37 pm

345tas wrote:

Also, it would make a nice one-stop from TLV to MEL, if the flights are timed well.

Don't forget the Europeans, I expect this will be a very cheap way to get to OZ, even cheaper than the ME3. I don´t just see O&D here, but a lot of budget sensitive Europeans, so they could be onto something.....
some you lose, others you can´t win!

345tas

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:11 pm

cougar15 wrote:
345tas wrote:

Don't forget the Europeans, I expect this will be a very cheap way to get to OZ, even cheaper than the ME3. I don´t just see O&D here, but a lot of budget sensitive Europeans, so they could be onto something.....

Oh yeah I forgot about them. That too.

Since the one great attraction of East Africa is the game parks, why not fly straight to the source, to NBO say? Why detour through Ethiopia?

Until there are direct flights to NBO, it's a moot point. As such, ET should have just as much of a shot at this traffic as the ME3.

allrite

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Apparently John Travolta is donating his Qantas themed 707 to HARS in Wollongong according to the Western Advocate. Should be exciting to watch that one fly in!

luftaom wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:
From some 40,000 responses Vegemite has been included in the cut of nominations to be the name of one of QF's 787s.

Bega/Vegemite's social media team has been spinning this hard - but it is interesting that QF has gone for it (at least initially). If Qantas are going to effectively promote a grocery brand then they'd be crazy not to try and get something valuable in return. The cynic in me wonders whether something has been stitched up in the background and we are about to see Vegemite put on a 787 - no doubt in conjunction with an interesting Qantas/Vegemite cross promotion.

I hope they don't start serving too much Vegemite on board. That stuff stinks! (Yes, I am so UnAustralian, should be booted out of The Shire etc).

9MMPD wrote:
mariner wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:

mariner

Then they could give the jet named 'Margaret Court" the Rainbow Roo scheme!!!!!!
).

LOL. Apparently she doesn't like the Rainbow Nation either!
I like artificial banana essence!

TN486

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:37 am

How adventurous are you all?? My tip of namings for the first 8 789's are as follows:
Boomerang, Dreamtime, Kookaburra, Skippy (that is a must), Waltzing Matilda, Uluru, Great Barrier Reef and Great Ocean Road with Cooee being a dark horse.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

VapourTrails

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:03 am

allrite wrote:
Apparently John Travolta is donating his Qantas themed 707 to HARS in Wollongong according to the Western Advocate. Should be exciting to watch that one fly in!
I must get down there one day. :thumbsup:

TN486 wrote:
How adventurous are you all?? My tip of namings for the first 8 789's are as follows: Boomerang, Dreamtime, Kookaburra, Skippy (that is a must), Waltzing Matilda, Uluru, Great Barrier Reef and Great Ocean Road with Cooee being a dark horse.

Out of the final 20 my bets are: Boomerang, Cooee, Dreamtime, Great Southern Land, Kookaburra, Quokka, Waltzing Matilda, and Skippy.

Obviously David Boon didn't make the cut!
"The best office in the world."

smi0006

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:58 am

Wouldn't Dreamtime be amazing in a special aboriginal livery again? Be interesting if the additional weight would be a deterrent or if paint technology has changed enough in the past 20years for this to no longer be a factor.

VapourTrails

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:24 am

smi0006 wrote:
Wouldn't Dreamtime be amazing in a special aboriginal livery again? Be interesting if the additional weight would be a deterrent or if paint technology has changed enough in the past 20years for this to no longer be a factor.

Oh, yes! My favourite was the more subtle 'Mendoowoorrji' so something like that would be great! By the way, when is that due to come off?

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/ ... /global/en, Flying Art. Qantas.
"The best office in the world."

An767

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:05 am

smi0006 wrote:

No please no. They looked horrendous.
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

jupiter2

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:39 am

An767 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

AN767

They were wonderful and a tribute to this nations native people and heritage, I loved them. It doesn't have to be as full on as the first ones, perhaps the tail painted with traditional Aboriginal dot painting would be acceptable.

smi0006

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:10 am

jupiter2 wrote:
An767 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

AN767

They were wonderful and a tribute to this nations native people and heritage, I loved them. It doesn't have to be as full on as the first ones, perhaps the tail painted with traditional Aboriginal dot painting would be acceptable.

A retro Australian airlines livery would look great with the orange and white dots 90s kangaroo livery - best looking 767s around!

TN486

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:33 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTiKPginIlo

Just saw this on youtube. well done QF (read....bloody brilliant)
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:14 am

ACCC has today issued draft determination granting conditional approval for the alliance between VA and HNA Aviation, Hong Kong Airlines and Hong Kong Express for 5 years

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/1273 ... five-years
Forum Moderator

Obzerva

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:24 am

RoySFlying wrote:
According to the ABC, flights operated by Silk Air from Singapore to Karratha from March 2018.

Karratha mayor, Peter Long, has announced that agreement has been reached with the carrier to trial the flights over a twelve month period. However, before the flights can commence some building work needs to be done to accommodate border protection.

This can only be a benefit to the region and, if successful, may help reduce its dependency on mining by diversifying the local economy.

So we can look forward to seeing some orange hi viz in SIN's T2 Gold Kris Lounge ;)

But seriously, if it's maybe 2-3 days a week, back of the clock when the aircraft would normally be parked, and with VA codeshares (as you would expect), there's a chance this one could work.

Good to see something a little innovative under negotiation here.

waoz1

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:21 am

RoySFlying wrote:

Great news for WA. I really hope Broome can get a look in as well, the place is in so much need for new tourism (tho they need a budget carrier).

jupiter2

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:32 am

smi0006 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
An767 wrote:

AN767

A retro Australian airlines livery would look great with the orange and white dots 90s kangaroo livery - best looking 767s around!

Indeed, it was a great livery, unfortunately it was short lived.

ben175

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:20 pm

waoz1 wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:

Great news for WA. I really hope Broome can get a look in as well, the place is in so much need for new tourism (tho they need a budget carrier).

I think we need JQ on PER-BME and PER-KTA before we can even dream to have a LCC on international routes from the northwest.

Nobody even considers doing an intrastate these days when it's so much cheaper to go overseas. Such a shame - Broome and areas like Cape Leveque, El Questro and The Kimberley are stunning.

qantas747

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:22 pm

waoz1 wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:

Definately agree re:BME . North West Australia is prime for a LCC. Though clearly the major carriers want to protect yield instead of supportinf growth.

I would have no doubt JQ could make at least a seasonal PER- BME flight work. Even heading to exmouth or geraldton would be a great boost to promote tourism in NW Australia.

RoySFlying

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:06 am

Regarding flights from PER to the Pilbara and the KImberley, I thought we already had LCCs operating the routes on behalf of the majors. QF routes are typically operated by Network with their venerable F100 and Cobham and their equally ancient 717. Virgin Australia continues to service destinations with VA Regional, also with the F100. Despite the ability to operate services with lower costs, the fares have remained high. I guess that proves that LCC does not necessarily mean LFC.

What the northern towns would like to see is a move away from relying on visitors from overseas having to fly to PER and then make their way up north. Whether they can attract enough interest remains to be seen. If tour operators can offer packages that include accommodation, ground transportation and flights then that could provide a chance.

Gemuser

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:09 am

RoySFlying wrote:
Regarding flights from PER to the Pilbara and the KImberley, I thought we already had LCCs operating the routes on behalf of the majors. QF routes are typically operated by Network with their venerable F100 and Cobham and their equally ancient 717. Virgin Australia continues to service destinations with VA Regional, also with the F100. Despite the ability to operate services with lower costs, the fares have remained high. I guess that proves that LCC does not necessarily mean LFC.

What the northern towns would like to see is a move away from relying on visitors from overseas having to fly to PER and then make their way up north. Whether they can attract enough interest remains to be seen. If tour operators can offer packages that include accommodation, ground transportation and flights then that could provide a chance.

The Pilbara & Kimberleys need to get their costs down if they want a significant increase in tourism. I recently did a costing for a Sydney-Perth-Darwin-Sydney trip using the Indian Pacific, Ghan & a tour company, about a month all up allowing for date mismatches. The cost was the best part of $18,000! per head, with pensioner discounts!
I could spend 6 weeks in Switzerland [that well known cheap European country :smile: ] & southern Germany [another well known cheap country] for that amount, with almost as much train travel included!
Needless to say I will not be visiting that area soon.

Gemuser

RoySFlying

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:29 am

Gemuser wrote:
The Pilbara & Kimberleys need to get their costs down if they want a significant increase in tourism

In terms of aviation, I'm not sure of how costs can be reduced. Naturally the airlines would like to see lower charges for airport use and that might be an avenue for cost reduction. However, with relatively low use the costs of operate can only be spread over a low number of flights. To bring the charges down would mean lowering wage packages to those employed or subsidies being paid either by the local ratepayers or the taxpayer.

Higher costs generally in the Pilbara and Kimberley are largely attributable to their remoteness. Everything has to be shipped in, often from the Eastern States even if it is routed first via Perth. Costs might be lowered if items could be directly imported from Asia but for that you need the transport services. Catch 22.

Gemuser

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:54 am

RoySFlying, I know all that BUT it does not matter to me, an average person, I am not paying that amount of money to go there when for same or less I can to other places with more appeal, TO ME. That's my point, its cost does not equal its benefit to me, your mileage may vary.

Gemuser

VirginFlyer

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:25 pm

RoySFlying wrote:
QF routes are typically operated by Network with their venerable F100 and Cobham and their equally ancient 717. Virgin Australia continues to service destinations with VA Regional, also with the F100.

I'm not sure I would classify the 717s as ancient. The oldest was built in November 1999 (17.5 years old), and the youngest in February 2006 (11.5 years old). They're not young any more, but they're not on their last legs either. By comparison, Network's F100s date from between July 1990 (27 years) and May 1994 (23 years), and Virgin's from April 1990 (27 years) to April 1994 (23 years).

V/F
Having trouble with a malware spam popup advert on A.net mobile site? Share details at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1363111

"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

RyanairGuru

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:07 am

None of Cobham, Network and Skywest are LCCs in the true sense. They might have lower operating costs but offer the mainline product with snacks, baggage etc.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

FromCDGtoSYD

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:19 am

smi0006 wrote:

I remember seeing Wunala Dreaming in CDG back in the day... Really memorable plane, I hope a 787 gets special livery.

However as you said, the added weight on such a long sector (PER-LHR/MEL-LAX *dare I say* PER-CDG/BNE-LAX) could be a huge deterrent.

waoz1

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:11 am

RoySFlying wrote:

Regional flights in WA are operated like a LCC (say a muffin the size of a golf ball and a watered down tea), but when it comes to cost there is nothing cheap about them.
You will rarely find anything cheap

Kalgoorlie/Geraldton rarely go below $190 one way and thats a 45min flight. Even Broome with multiple flights a day its cheaper to fly to Asia.
Only one in WA who seems to be keeping prices reasonable is REX with their Albany/Esperance flights.

I did read with the new Perth-London flights they are going to add a tack on flight to say Broome for 60 pounds for UK passengers.
https://thewest.com.au/news/regional/ex ... b88464706z

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:37 am

Forum Moderator

xiaotung

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:10 pm

qf789 wrote:
ACCC has today issued draft determination granting conditional approval for the alliance between VA and HNA Aviation, Hong Kong Airlines and Hong Kong Express for 5 years

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/1273 ... five-years

Apparently it was John Thomas who flew to Cancun for the IATA AGM and it was John Thomas who signed the Hong Kong Airlines codeshare agreement today. I don't know why John Borghetti is still CEO.

EK413

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:22 pm

QF have shipped parts from Melbourne for their 1st Dream)liner.

https://instagram.com/p/BU-wx0MgEVf/

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

ThunderB

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 am

"Apparently it was John Thomas who flew to Cancun for the IATA AGM and it was John Thomas who signed the Hong Kong Airlines codeshare agreement today. I don't know why John Borghetti is still CEO"

Thomas is General Manager of a division, that is why Borghetti is CEO. The CEO would be the one confirming the agreements.

RoySFlying

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:15 am

The power-spat in the Middle East may be touching Qantas. Chief executive Gareth Evans is reported to have said. "UAE have banned Qatari nationals from transiting through UAE, so we're looking to see if that affects any passengers." So presumably, a Qatari citizen who was planning to fly SYD-DXB-LHR would not be able to board the aircraft and would have to be offered some other routing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-07/q ... ai/8597404

Perhaps we will see fewer such complications once the non-stop 787 service commences.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos