BobPatterson

Re: Pie In The Sky--UA To Sell UNO Deep Dish Pizza In Y

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:05 am

Two questions for anyone with answers:

Will this pizza be Halal certified?

How much will it cost?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Schweigend

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:59 am

Sounds like a great idea to me -- and I'm glad to see pizza back on UA's Coach menu!

Circa 1995, UA served Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizzas in Y -- I recall, on a DEN-SFO DC10 flight, being served a perfectly heated and prepared Pepperoni Personal Pan Pizza, offered in an actual Pizza Hut box.

It shouldn't be very hard for them to get the new UNO ones right, so long as the pizza prep and oven temperatures are adequate.

FWIW, all the UA B737 and A319/320 Y and F galleys I've inspected have had ovens. The Y ones may not have been used as much in recent times compared to the past, and some units have been removed, leaving fewer per frame, but they are there.

BobPatterson wrote:
Two questions for anyone with answers:

Will this pizza be Halal certified?

How much will it cost?

I'm guessing something like $8.99 for the price. I'd expect that F class (and 1K / GS seated in Y) would be able to request one gratis, if they desire.

RE: Halal -- the original Forbes article linked above mentions that the Pizzas "will be offered among other cold and warm items in the paid snack cart and, according to Travel Skills, will be a spinach and garlic deep dish served in a skillet." That is vegetarian, and it could very well be Halal -- unlike the Pepperoni ones from 20 years ago!

They add that "The airline is also planning to put together a 'pizza and beer combo'. "

Cheers!

VC10er

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Many years ago I lead the team that rebranded Pizza Hut. They told me that the small "deep-dish-like" single serves actually "fry" not bake. There is so much oil in the dough that in the oven they actually fry vs the pizza served in the restaurant. I think bringing a Lipitor with your Ambien would be wise!
I prefer flying over the vacation itself! I go on business trips just so I can fly!

kgaiflyer

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:03 pm

"I was served an Uno personal deep dish pizza on an AA flight DCA-DFW back in 1995. I remember it being fairly good. Not exceptional, but not bad either."

Yep. This is nothing new. AC has been offering Quiznos personal pizzas on its single-aisle transcon aircraft for as long as I can remember. Again, neither exceptional or bad. Good midafternoon with a beer.

And Northwest served a free (square) pizza slice to coach passengers on lunch hour DTW-FLL flights before their merger with DL. As I recall, that pizza wasn't that great.

ikramerica

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:30 pm

VC10er wrote:
Many years ago I lead the team that rebranded Pizza Hut. They told me that the small "deep-dish-like" single serves actually "fry" not bake. There is so much oil in the dough that in the oven they actually fry vs the pizza served in the restaurant. I think bringing a Lipitor with your Ambien would be wise!

Pizza Hut pan pizza crust always tasted fried. That's kind of the point. That's what makes it a hut pizza. And it's not good for you whether it's baked or fried.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

reltney

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:51 pm

American served UNOs pizza in the early 90s for about 3 years and it was great! Deep dish cooked all the way thru. I hope united copies what AA did.
I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

hOMSaR

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Flaps wrote:
Yawnnnnnnn.....Invest the money in getting the planes running on time and bags to right destination.

UA already has the best OTP among the majors, and (according to their release) #1 in baggage performance in April. So...try again?
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

jetwet1

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
"a stark contrast to the generally light and healthy fare that is typically sold onboard. The pizza will come from Uno Pizzeria & Grill, one of the biggest names in deep dish pizza in Chicago."

The generally light and healthy fare......LMFAO, how do they come up with this stuff.

irelayer

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:05 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
Flaps wrote:
Yawnnnnnnn.....Invest the money in getting the planes running on time and bags to right destination.

UA already has the best OTP among the majors, and (according to their release) #1 in baggage performance in April. So...try again?

I think he meant invest the money in PR so that there are less videos of UA employees beating up passengers.

I don't buy the hype, don't get me wrong, but there is a definite perception out there that UA has lost the farm. About every month a video or story surfaces of some horrible mistreatment (most recently, the couple who pointed out the fuel leaking from the left wing).

Anyway...I love UA, I've been Plat for 2 years, but they are pretty bad where it counts: just being nice to you like ONE time during the flight, and I can say that because I fly on their metal 10-15 times a year and it's almost uniformily bad, domestic, and international. As a Plat I get the little things that make everything tolerable, booking E+ @booking, Group 1, Premier Access, lounges, etc...I can't imagine what the experience looks like for the very occasional traveller.

Also, fix your damn wifi, and your damn "free" entertainment while you are at it. On ALL 737s I can't get personal device entertainment to work on my Android phone because it isn't "supported" and I haven't been able to find a workaround. I've used the Galaxy S6, and now the Galaxy S8, two of the most popular phones on the planet. It works on A320s and A319s, so I know it's the OEM and not my phone. And the # of DTV equipped birds has gone down drastically, so I can't even watch TV most of the time. Add to that the fact that if you pay for $20 wifi for the whole flight, the thing works only 50% of the time. Yes yes, I'll bring a book...

Also I don't care whether you serve pizza or carrots, have some intelligence built into the catering system so that on a 5-6 hour westbound transcon that leaves at dinner time from your enormous hub on a Sunday, you don't run out of hot BoB by the 4th row in Economy Plus! This is obvious to many people and I've seen the frustration on their faces when all they can get is a snack box (which by the way, is essentially like raiding the vending machine at work for your dinner). Cater some more food!

United looks good on the surface, but their actual "soft" operations are far from perfect. Concept is good, execution is inconsistent.

-IR

AirAfreak

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 am

I think it's quite nice to have more options. I think the aroma of a hot pizza in the cabin will drive pizza sales. I hope a pre-packaged moist-towelette is on offer to clean the hands of the takers. I find there are many lazy people who lack any regard of cleanliness/courtesy to these shared public spaces.

Delays and gate-changes can severely reduce passenger connection times so there isn't always time to purchase a hot meal while in transit.

I always appreciated the hot cheeseburger offered compliments of a Coach ticket on Continental. I ate so many of their cold chicken caesar sandwiches in the late-1990's so a hot option is always welcome!

I fondly recall those delicious McDonalds Happy Meals served on United in the 1990's.

And that's the beauty of flying; freedom of choice!
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos