• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25514
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 am

Boeing announced the launch of the 737 MAX 10 as the newest member of the 737 MAX family today at the 2017 Paris Air Show. The 737 MAX 10 will have the lowest seat-mile cost of any single-aisle airplane ever produced.

...

Design changes for the 737 MAX 10 include a fuselage stretch of 66 inches compared to the 737 MAX 9 and levered main landing gear. The airplane has the capacity to carry up to 230 passengers.

Other changes include a variable exit limit rating mid-exit door, a lighter flat aft pressure bulkhead and a modified wing for low speed drag reduction.


Image

Image

Live
https://twitter.com/R_Wall/status/876709878458351616
https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/876709810498154496
https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/ ... 1905136640

Press release
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2017-06-19- ... s-Air-Show
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737max10/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 1506
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:01 am

More range? Interested in hearing the details from this live stream. https://www.facebook.com/Boeing/videos/ ... 865148710/

edit: looks like the stream has completely failed
 
pabloeing
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:09 am

240 ORDERS FOR 10 CUSTOMERS ¡¡¡
 
Vladex
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:11 am

so they have 4 variations of an airplane within what , 10 meters or less?
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3719
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am

Nice launch order. Did they announce which ones yet? Are they conversions or real new orders?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25514
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 am

Dutchy wrote:
Nice launch order. Did they announce which ones yet? Are they conversions or real new orders?


Orders will be announced later this week. Expect a mix of conversions and new orders.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
StTim
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 am

Always remember that Boeing were forced into the MAX10 - this is not a plane they thought they needed to have. They were forced to by a market that they obviously were not listening to.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5621
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 am

How does the -10 compare with the 752?
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 4822
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 am

KarelXWB wrote:
Other changes include a variable exit limit rating mid-exit door

Can anyone explain what this is?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Celebrating the Bicentenary of the Birth of Bahá'u'lláh, 21-22 October 2017
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25514
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 am

Vladex wrote:
so they have 4 variations of an airplane within what , 10 meters or less?


Eventually something will have to give.

The market demand for the MAX 10 is open for debate. Some analysts believe Boeing will sell between 200-300. Boeing believes it will be 1,000.

LNC believes MAX 10 orders will come in part at the expense of MAX 9 orders that have already been placed.

The MAX 10 could also cannibalize the 737 MAX 200, the high-density version of the 737-8. Ryanair is reported to be In talks to order the MAX 10. The MAX 200 will carry between 194-197 seats in Ryanair’s configuration. The MAX 10 has an advertised maximum capacity of 230. The MAX 200 has more range than the MAX 10, however.


Ref https://leehamnews.com/2017/06/19/boein ... 40-orders/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:37 am

ERJ170 wrote:
How does the -10 compare with the 752?


The 757 carries a lot more fish...
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25514
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:40 am

Boeing just released a few renders of the new aircraft:

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/BoeingEurope/status ... 3112633344
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
parapente
Posts: 1936
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 am

The MAX 10 position will only become clear when and if we see the 797 launch.The latter (if rumours are to be believed) will seamlessly follow on in pax and range from the -10.
The -10 is really about holding on to existing 737 customer base I think.It may do that.
 
User avatar
BoeingVista
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 am

ikolkyo wrote:
More range? Interested in hearing the details from this live stream. https://www.facebook.com/Boeing/videos/ ... 865148710/

edit: looks like the stream has completely failed


More range 'than todays 737' which presumably is not a MAX, also -700, -800, -900? they are not saying.

5% lower trip cost than the A321neo is a bold call but we have no idea on what config (weights / seats / range /payload) they are making this assumption on.
BV
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25514
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:47 am

Some technical specifications have been released, quoting a range of 3,215 nm:

Image
https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/876722210941136896
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1314
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:47 am

ikolkyo wrote:
More range? Interested in hearing the details from this live stream. https://www.facebook.com/Boeing/videos/ ... 865148710/

edit: looks like the stream has completely failed

PP presentation says more range than today's 737. Could be they mean the 737NG.
Also interested in how the claim "same seats as the A321neo" is meant. IMHO, this is physically not possible - both numbers wise and by width.
StTim wrote:
Always remember that Boeing were forced into the MAX10 - this is not a plane they thought they needed to have. They were forced to by a market that they obviously were not listening to.

Boeing was forced to launch the 737MAX family period. But they should have made the 9 into the current 10 before design freeze. They had the time to do so. AA launched the 737MAX with just the -8, there was time to stretch the 9, just as Boeing was able to stretch the -7 before design freeze.
KarelXWB wrote:
Vladex wrote:
so they have 4 variations of an airplane within what , 10 meters or less?


Eventually something will have to give.

The market demand for the MAX 10 is open for debate. Some analysts believe Boeing will sell between 200-300. Boeing believes it will be 1,000.

LNC believes MAX 10 orders will come in part at the expense of MAX 9 orders that have already been placed.

The MAX 10 could also cannibalize the 737 MAX 200, the high-density version of the 737-8. Ryanair is reported to be In talks to order the MAX 10. The MAX 200 will carry between 194-197 seats in Ryanair’s configuration. The MAX 10 has an advertised maximum capacity of 230. The MAX 200 has more range than the MAX 10, however.


Ref https://leehamnews.com/2017/06/19/boein ... 40-orders/

Certainly a bunch of -9 orders will be converted to the -10. I don't think FR will convert even part of the MAX-200 order to the -10. Remember the FR order for the MAX-200 can only partially replace their current 738 fleet. An additional order was always on the cards, and I think it will be for a top-up of the MAX-200 and a new order for the -10.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,343,345,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W, AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E90,F50/7
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 5688
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 am

A real delight to see the plane. If they deliver on their promises it will be serious competitor for the A321 and probably the better choice for many airlines.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1735
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 am

Any information yet on any increased ground clearance / field performance?
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1314
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:53 am

KarelXWB wrote:
Technical specifications have been released, quoting a range of 3,215 nm:

Image
https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/876722210941136896

Thanks! So, just 1.7 metres the difference between the -9 and the -10. This makes the -9 totally redundant, unless you need the 300nm extra range and a few extra pax compered to the -8.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,343,345,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W, AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E90,F50/7
 
User avatar
BoeingVista
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:53 am

KarelXWB wrote:
Technical specifications have been released, quoting a range of 3,215 nm:

Image
https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/876722210941136896


Less range than the MAX 8, very carefully chosen words by Boeing when describing range. Seems to fall a long way short of the A321neo apart from the number of MADPAX you can stuff onto it,

I assume that 5% less trip cost figures are going to be funky also
BV
 
User avatar
LoganTheBogan
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:49 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 am

Video uploaded by Boeing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpBX1Gp9p8

It says more range but with an auxiliary tank. Where do they put the extra tank?
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
 
User avatar
juliuswong
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:00 am

Wow! What a start to PAS 2017! I somehow have a hunch B737MAX 10 will end up biting into B737MAX 9, making the latter redundant. B737MAX 9 is caught between a rock and a hard place. The difference between the B737 MAX 8 to MAX 10 are now diminished.....
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1735
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:08 am

KarelXWB wrote:
Some technical specifications have been released, quoting a range of 3,215 nm:

Image
https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/876722210941136896


so at 230 seats the -10 will have up to 10 seats less than the A321neo.... does not tally with the marketing spin "same seats as the A321neo" - or am I missing something?
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25514
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 am

frigatebird wrote:
So, just 1.7 metres the difference between the -9 and the -10. This makes the -9 totally redundant, unless you need the 300nm extra range and a few extra pax compered to the -8.


I suppose so. The slide below shows how the MAX 9 is bracket between the MAX 8 and MAX 10.

In hindsight, the MAX 10 is what the MAX 9 should have been from the beginning.

Image
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
ghifty
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 am

Richard28 wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
Some technical specifications have been released, quoting a range of 3,215 nm:

Image
https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/876722210941136896


so at 230 seats the -10 will have up to 10 seats less than the A321neo.... does not tally with the marketing spin "same seats as the A321neo" - or am I missing something?


They probably mean "per seat" costs, but marketing makes it sounds like "same seats."
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25514
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 am

BoeingVista wrote:
5% lower trip cost than the A321neo is a bold call but we have no idea on what config (weights / seats / range /payload) they are making this assumption on.


LNC Analyst Research believes economics should be "on pair" with the A321neo.

LNC’s own analysis, using normalized cabin configuration which has virtually the same number of seats at the same seat pitch and other features, concludes that the economics are on a par.


Ref https://leehamnews.com/2017/06/19/boein ... 40-orders/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
blrsea
Posts: 1614
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 2:22 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

Diff with Max 8 is that Max 10 will have 30 seats more and X miles less. Max 8 has 3515 nm range without aux tanks, while max 10 has 3215 with aux tank. If Max 10 didn't have an aux tank, will range go down to around 2900-3000 nm?

Can the new landing gear from Max 10 be installed on Max 8/9 ? Might improve the runway perf of those models too.
 
User avatar
ITMercure
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:49 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 am

Maybe, as other posters have noticed, the -9 and -10 are quite redundant and will somehow tend to canibalize each_other, but in the meantime R&D for the -9 is already spent, flight tests are under way and as simple stretch of the -8 it's not as if it were an oddball in the production line. So what? if only a bunch* of -9 are produced, and the -10 opens-up more market share to Boeing than the -9 would have ever done, that's still a good and easy move from Boeing, all the more as the development and certification costs will stay low (even with the new main gear, it's still a straightforward double-stretch of the -8).
Let's now enjoy Airbus's answer (not JL's, but if Airbus will actually see a prospect fort an A322)

* When I say "only a bunch", bunch is still in the area of a few hundred, a figure people of my vintage would have considered a stellar achievement only a few décades ago, and well worth the development costs. :-)
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am

BoeingVista wrote:
More range 'than todays 737' which presumably is not a MAX, also -700, -800, -900? they are not saying.

The claim was "any existing 737 route" not "today's 737"
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
A330freak
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am

Last edited by A330freak on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 am

Scouring their site to see if I can learn more about this landing gear.... coming up short. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1314
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 am

KarelXWB wrote:
BoeingVista wrote:
5% lower trip cost than the A321neo is a bold call but we have no idea on what config (weights / seats / range /payload) they are making this assumption on.


LNC Analyst Research believes economics should be "on pair" with the A321neo.

LNC’s own analysis, using normalized cabin configuration which has virtually the same number of seats at the same seat pitch and other features, concludes that the economics are on a par.


Ref https://leehamnews.com/2017/06/19/boein ... 40-orders/

In all honesty, I think on par is more than I expected. This will enable the MAX-10 to compete more seriously with the A321neo, as long as an airline doesn't need to have 3000nm+ range. The A321neo needs auxiliary tanks to outrange the MAX-10, however I don't think many operators will need this anyway.

Competition is always good!
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,343,345,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W, AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E90,F50/7
 
oslmgm
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:44 am

KarelXWB wrote:
Image

An interesting claim that three models (Max-8, -9 and -10) all have lower "fuel use per seat" than the A321. The seat fuel use difference between those three Boeing models is also very small.

Edit:
What's the difference between "fuel use per seat" and "relative fuel use per seat"? Also applies to the trip fuel.
Edit 2: I see now - it's probably just that they use percentage.
Last edited by oslmgm on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
parapente
Posts: 1936
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 am

I think Boeing have been. Quite honest as to why they were so late with the -10.It appears that initially clients we're obsessed with the A321NEO 240 number (at 28" pitch).So Boeing spent a bunch of time designing new MLG and using the bigger fan engine.When customers saw the costs and the 'reality' of the 240 number they were more than happy to swap commonality and price for 10 less (supposedly) seats.
This IMHO is now the correct solution.Whilst all this was going on they had to offer the -9.Dont suppose it cost them much,
But yes overall would have been smarter to come up with this solution earlier!I think I read it cost the previous director of the max his job,is that right?
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1257
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:01 am

oslmgm wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
Image

An interesting claim that three models (Max-8, -9 and -10) all have lower "fuel use per seat" than the A321. The seat fuel use difference between those three Boeing models is also very small.

Edit:
What's the difference between "fuel use per seat" and "relative fuel use per seat"? Also applies to the trip fuel.
Edit 2: I see now - it's probably just that they use percentage.


It's a manufacturers graph meant for PR purposes, they are almost always twisted in order to showcase a purported superiority over the competitor. Take the graphs released by Airbus when they launched the A330NEO as an example. They somehow made it look like the A330NEO would be superior to any 787 variant on almost any mission imaginable. Just take these graphs with a grain of salt, they rarely reflect a realistic scenario.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25514
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am

StTim wrote:
Always remember that Boeing were forced into the MAX10 - this is not a plane they thought they needed to have. They were forced to by a market that they obviously were not listening to.


Or Boeing is just adapting to a changing market as the trend towards larger aircraft continues.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
Aieron
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:34 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am

What was boeing management thinking when they launched the max series , it seems they werent listning to their customers , now you have the max 10 which will canabalise the max 9 and what about mom , i dont think boeing was ever serious in a 757 replacement.
 
oslmgm
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 am

VSMUT wrote:
oslmgm wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
Image

An interesting claim that three models (Max-8, -9 and -10) all have lower "fuel use per seat" than the A321. The seat fuel use difference between those three Boeing models is also very small.

Edit:
What's the difference between "fuel use per seat" and "relative fuel use per seat"? Also applies to the trip fuel.
Edit 2: I see now - it's probably just that they use percentage.


It's a manufacturers graph meant for PR purposes, they are almost always twisted in order to showcase a purported superiority over the competitor. Take the graphs released by Airbus when they launched the A330NEO as an example. They somehow made it look like the A330NEO would be superior to any 787 variant on almost any mission imaginable. Just take these graphs with a grain of salt, they rarely reflect a realistic scenario.

When they compare to the competitor you're absolutely right, but I still find it interesting that they show such a small improvement between their own models. What's the seat fuel improvement from the -9 to the -10? 1%, or something?
 
User avatar
InsideMan
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:14 am

BoeingVista wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
More range? Interested in hearing the details from this live stream. https://www.facebook.com/Boeing/videos/ ... 865148710/

edit: looks like the stream has completely failed


More range 'than todays 737' which presumably is not a MAX, also -700, -800, -900? they are not saying.

5% lower trip cost than the A321neo is a bold call but we have no idea on what config (weights / seats / range /payload) they are making this assumption on.


These numbers are clearly FRA
Last edited by InsideMan on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
EPA001
Posts: 3812
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:16 am

Aieron wrote:
What was boeing management thinking when they launched the max series , it seems they werent listning to their customers , now you have the max 10 which will canabalise the max 9 and what about mom , i dont think boeing was ever serious in a 757 replacement.


Well, they might have been forced into launching the MAX-program but the number of sales proves them right. If they would not have launched the MAX-program the A320-neo-series would have "eaten them alive" (though Airbus could never deliver that many aircraft to that potential number of customers).

So the MAX might not be the best offering in the market, and might be a result of adapting to the strategy Airbus has unfolded, but economically it has made sense enough for Boeing and it's customers.
 
StTim
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 am

KarelXWB wrote:
StTim wrote:
Always remember that Boeing were forced into the MAX10 - this is not a plane they thought they needed to have. They were forced to by a market that they obviously were not listening to.


Or Boeing is just adapting to a changing market as the trend towards larger aircraft continues.


You could say that but if I was a Boeing shareholder I would think the cost of development of the MAX9 (and the initial plans for the MAX7) were wasted money. This is a much better placed frame than the 900/9 ever was. Now they need to deliver it for little additional spend/reduction in commonality.
 
astuteman
Posts: 6625
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 am

KarelXWB wrote:
Boeing announced the launch of the 737 MAX 10 as the newest member of the 737 MAX family today at the 2017 Paris Air Show.


Congratulations to Boeing for finally launching the plane the top 737 MAX should have been from the outset. Put me in the camp that thinks this a good idea.

KarelXWB wrote:
Some technical specifications have been released, quoting a range of 3,215 nm:

Image
https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/876722210941136896


With only 4.3m between the 737-8 MAX and 737-10 MAX there is absolutely nowhere now for the 737-9 MAX to go. Nowhere.
(Note, there is 7m between the A320 and A321)

ikolkyo wrote:
More range? Interested in hearing the details from this live stream. https://www.facebook.com/Boeing/videos/ ... 865148710/

edit: looks like the stream has completely failed


I'm pretty sure this alludes to the fact that the 737 has a bigger fuel capacity without ACT's. Without ACT's the 737 holds 20.9 t vs 18.6t for the A32X - 12.5% less.

pabloeing wrote:
240 ORDERS FOR 10 CUSTOMERS ¡¡¡


Great headline isn't it? count how many are NEW firm orders by the end of the week.
Most of these are likely to be either conversions or MOU's

KarelXWB wrote:
frigatebird wrote:
So, just 1.7 metres the difference between the -9 and the -10. This makes the -9 totally redundant, unless you need the 300nm extra range and a few extra pax compered to the -8.


I suppose so. The slide below shows how the MAX 9 is bracket between the MAX 8 and MAX 10.

In hindsight, the MAX 10 is what the MAX 9 should have been from the beginning.

Image


Quietly tucked in the bottom of that chart is a legend that says "800Nm trip".
It is well known that the 737 is more competitive at short range than at long range, so that's clearly the comparison Boeing will pick.
Nothing fundamentally wrong with that either, as many trips are that short.
By also being a bit "clever" with the seat count, and making them the same between the -10 and A321 (as opposed to reality), they might feasibly claim a 5% fuel burn advantage.

Real world seatings on Transcon sectors will be a different story entirely. :)

Rgds
 
DfwRevolution
Posts: 8978
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am

Aieron wrote:
What was boeing management thinking when they launched the max series , it seems they werent listning to their customers , now you have the max 10 which will canabalise the max 9 and what about mom


They probably thought:
- Our current mix of configurations (-700, -800, -900ER) is competitive against their peer
- If we add a next generation engine, we will stay competitive.

Boeing probably was listening to their customers back in 2011. Most of the demand for bigger models has come in the last 2-3 years long after the MAX product was launched. The real test is what does management do when their previous decision was wrong? Here Boeing is getting it right: they are adapting.

Does it cannibalize the MAX9? Irrelevant. The MAX9 is sunk cost. If the MAX10 wins orders the MAX9 would have lost to the A321, then it is an investment well made.

Aieron wrote:
i dont think boeing was ever serious in a 757 replacement.


No crime there. The need for a direct 757 replacement is tiny. Airbus is doing quite well with an A321neo which still isn't a "true" 757 replacement according to the purists.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.
 
Amiga500
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am

astuteman wrote:
Quietly tucked in the bottom of that chart is a legend that says "800Nm trip".


Even better is that the Airbus' are carrying 1 ACT to make that trip.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 7291
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am

astuteman wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
Boeing announced the launch of the 737 MAX 10 as the newest member of the 737 MAX family today at the 2017 Paris Air Show.


Congratulations to Boeing for finally launching the plane the top 737 MAX should have been from the outset. Put me in the camp that thinks this a good idea.

KarelXWB wrote:
Some technical specifications have been released, quoting a range of 3,215 nm:

Image
https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/876722210941136896


With only 4.3m between the 737-8 MAX and 737-10 MAX there is absolutely nowhere now for the 737-9 MAX to go. Nowhere.
(Note, there is 7m between the A320 and A321)

ikolkyo wrote:
More range? Interested in hearing the details from this live stream. https://www.facebook.com/Boeing/videos/ ... 865148710/

edit: looks like the stream has completely failed


I'm pretty sure this alludes to the fact that the 737 has a bigger fuel capacity without ACT's. Without ACT's the 737 holds 20.9 t vs 18.6t for the A32X - 12.5% less.

pabloeing wrote:
240 ORDERS FOR 10 CUSTOMERS ¡¡¡


Great headline isn't it? count how many are NEW firm orders by the end of the week.
Most of these are likely to be either conversions or MOU's

KarelXWB wrote:
frigatebird wrote:
So, just 1.7 metres the difference between the -9 and the -10. This makes the -9 totally redundant, unless you need the 300nm extra range and a few extra pax compered to the -8.


I suppose so. The slide below shows how the MAX 9 is bracket between the MAX 8 and MAX 10.

In hindsight, the MAX 10 is what the MAX 9 should have been from the beginning.

Image


Quietly tucked in the bottom of that chart is a legend that says "800Nm trip".
It is well known that the 737 is more competitive at short range than at long range, so that's clearly the comparison Boeing will pick.
Nothing fundamentally wrong with that either, as many trips are that short.
By also being a bit "clever" with the seat count, and making them the same between the -10 and A321 (as opposed to reality), they might feasibly claim a 5% fuel burn advantage.

Real world seatings on Transcon sectors will be a different story entirely. :)

Rgds

I suspect the real world seating configuration between the 737-10 and A321 will generally be about the same. Not everyone is going to be stuffing 240 seats into the A321.
 
User avatar
winterlight
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Scouring their site to see if I can learn more about this landing gear.... coming up short. :(



Me too. I can't see what can be done to two-wheeled gears.
Question everything. Trust no-one.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 876
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 am

I think that this plane can really succeed. It already has 240 orders!!! Btw so far orders/MoU's/Anything else for the MAX 10:

TUI Group: 18x 737 MAX 10
CDB Aviation: 10x 737 MAX 10
GECAS: 20x 737 MAX 10
BOC Aviation: 10x 737 MAX 10

A total of 58 known orders. All sourced from http://www.luchtzak.be
A350/CSeries = bae
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1257
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:45 am

On the rotation issue: Looking at all the images and videos, it seems as if the stretch primarily goes into the forward fuselage. Landing-gear looks almost like the old one, any extension or trailing-arm must be relatively small.
 
User avatar
juliuswong
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:50 am

OA940 wrote:
I think that this plane can really succeed. It already has 240 orders!!! Btw so far orders/MoU's/Anything else for the MAX 10:

TUI Group: 18x 737 MAX 10
CDB Aviation: 10x 737 MAX 10
GECAS: 20x 737 MAX 10
BOC Aviation: 10x 737 MAX 10

A total of 58 known orders. All sourced from http://www.luchtzak.be

You missed out Tibet Financial Leasing for unknown amount and Spicejet 20 MAX10, conversion from MAX8 order.
Last edited by juliuswong on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3719
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Boeing officially launches 737 MAX 10

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:50 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
They probably thought:
- Our current mix of configurations (-700, -800, -900ER) is competitive against their peer
- If we add a next generation engine, we will stay competitive.

Boeing probably was listening to their customers back in 2011. Most of the demand for bigger models has come in the last 2-3 years long after the MAX product was launched. The real test is what does management do when their previous decision was wrong? Here Boeing is getting it right: they are adapting.

Does it cannibalize the MAX9? Irrelevant. The MAX9 is sunk cost. If the MAX10 wins orders the MAX9 would have lost to the A321, then it is an investment well made.


I think Boeing wanted a quick and cheap solution when they got with their pence down: airlines clearly preferred a faster (-MAX series) solution to a better one (new design). This solution was to re-engine the current series, except the -600. At that moment, it was perfectly logical not to make the -900 bigger into the -Max10, because of the extra cost and extra time needed. But the market has discided: A321Neo much better than the B737-9, so a better product was needed and they indeed adapted by creating the -MAX10.

You are absolutely right, the MAX9 are sunk cost, so it doesn't matter anymore, they need to gain ground on the A321. They might as well keep the MAX9 around for the odd ball order.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos