bmacleod
Topic Author

Toddler prevented from using washroom on AC flight

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Another incident Air Canada will hopefully fix up soon....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/toddler-sat-in-pee-air-canada-grandmother-says-1.4166122

Could the FA be suspended?
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

B737900ER

Re: Toddler prevented from using washroom on AC flight

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:42 pm

At the risk of sounding insensitive, the FA did her job as trained. Whoever the agent was who gave her those seats should have known better and given them seats close to the economy lavs if the need to constantly go was an issue. It's unfortunate that the toddler had an accident, but you can't and shouldn't suspend the FA for doing what she was trained to do.

Baexecutive

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Why would the FA be suspended for doing her job? She clearly used discretion by allowing the use of the washroom (probably more than the 2/3 times as suggested) had complaints from business class passengers and attempted to find a solution to it. Perhaps she was unaware the trolley was in the cabin and what's stopping the crew moving it to let the girl pass?

The FA won't be making any apology phonecall either as i would imagine its company policy to restrict use of Lavs to their respective cabin, I'm guessing it's lesson learnt, take your custom elsewhere if your unhappy.

FlyUSAir

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:50 pm

From what I could tell, the FA was just doing her job, and at the same time was not physically blocking them, so she could've still used the front lavatory? I have a hard time believing this would be put under "refusing to obey crew member instructions", and even so if law enforcement met the plane on landing I doubt they would have the mother arrested for having the toddler use the bathroom.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

ikramerica

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:52 pm

First, the cart can be moved. I've seen it. And they spend so much time in the aisle adults can't hold it sometimes and used the f lav.

Second, that's why you put your toddler in pull-up pants on flights. It's not hard to plan ahead. If we could plan ahead and do it for our 3 and 4 year old, these people can take responsibility for their 2 year old.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

berari

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm

The grandmother is doing more harm to the little girl in this case. Airline stories are never forgotten, neither will this one.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:35 pm

It took huge potential fines to persuade airliners not to park jets full of people for hours on the ground. It will take huge potential fines to persuade airliners to not have restrooms available to customers in Y. Bring it on!
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

bennett123

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Would have been best not to seat them that far forward.

It sounds as if the FA did allow her to use the Business lavs several times.

She was not obliged to do so.

Not sure why this happened iif she was potty trained.

Also how long was tthe aisle blocked, (assume it was NB).

Aptivaboy

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:06 pm

At the risk of sounding insensitive, the FA did her job as trained. Whoever the agent was who gave her those seats should have known better and given them seats close to the economy lavs if the need to constantly go was an issue. It's unfortunate that the toddler had an accident, but you can't and shouldn't suspend the FA for doing what she was trained to do.

Agreed. I've been on flights where passengers have tried to use the higher service level cabins' restroom and been shooed away by the flight attendants. You get what you pay for. If you paid for the coach cabin, they you get to use the coach cabin's lav, simple as that. For business class passengers to complain about a little girl using their lav I suspect she used it more times than the grandmother is suggesting; most people aren't total jerks and while they might be upset at an adult using "their" lav, I doubt they'd protest about a sweet faced little girl. Either that, or Grandma was actually the one using the lav.

yowza

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:09 pm

I see our national pastime time of sh*tting on AC at every possible turn is going strong. :-|

Use the WC's in the cabin in which you are ticketed. END OF STORY. When I fly up front I go up front. When I fly in the back I go in the back."But what about the children?" you ask. I have a one year old and three year old and I would never dream of using them as an excuse to avoid the rules in place. It drives me up the wall when entitled jerk parents/caretakers use their kids as golden tickets to try and board before being called, get into lounges "just for a quick clean up" and other ridiculous things I see every single week when I travel.

In this case the caretaker failed spectacularly to do her job. A kid that has been out of diapers for one month is not fully potty trained. Most kids who are potty trained sleep in a pull-up for several months. In fact on some pull-up packaging it i even says "for night times and travel." And to travel without spare clothes for the kid, are you kidding?

YOWza

berari

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 pm

What the article fails to focus on is the fact that the kid has not traveled without diapers before, that the grandparent had no diapers nor change of clothes. The adult was not prepared and did not plan for travel with a kid. The adult also has a vendetta against the specific flight attendant.

Westjet now asks families with kids to sit at the back of the table. One of my colleagues traveling with two kids was recently given an incentive to reserve seats at the back of the plane (I think WS waived the seat fees.)

jetwet1

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:03 pm

yowza wrote:
I see our national pastime time of sh*tting on AC at every possible turn is going strong. :-|

Use the WC's in the cabin in which you are ticketed. END OF STORY. When I fly up front I go up front. When I fly in the back I go in the back."But what about the children?" you ask. I have a one year old and three year old and I would never dream of using them as an excuse to avoid the rules in place. It drives me up the wall when entitled jerk parents/caretakers use their kids as golden tickets to try and board before being called, get into lounges "just for a quick clean up" and other ridiculous things I see every single week when I travel.

In this case the caretaker failed spectacularly to do her job. A kid that has been out of diapers for one month is not fully potty trained. Most kids who are potty trained sleep in a pull-up for several months. In fact on some pull-up packaging it i even says "for night times and travel." And to travel without spare clothes for the kid, are you kidding?

YOWza

I get where you are coming from with the lounges, but on the aircraft, not so much, if the small child is seat right behind first and pulls a "mommy/daddy I need to go" as a father of a small child you know they tend not to get you any notice and they need to go NOW ! and yes, the child should have been wearing pull ups, but hey, small child, potty trained for months, they still at time have issues.

Would I rather have a child use the first class bathroom, or wet themselves ?????? Yeah, I know what I would prefer and it doesn't mean changing a wet child.....

exunited

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:08 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
It took huge potential fines to persuade airliners not to park jets full of people for hours on the ground. It will take huge potential fines to persuade airliners to not have restrooms available to customers in Y. Bring it on!

Airliners are airplanes, airlines are companies. Persuading an inanimate object would seem difficult at best.

yowza

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:20 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
yowza wrote:

YOWza

I get where you are coming from with the lounges, but on the aircraft, not so much, if the small child is seat right behind first and pulls a "mommy/daddy I need to go" as a father of a small child you know they tend not to get you any notice and they need to go NOW ! and yes, the child should have been wearing pull ups, but hey, small child, potty trained for months, they still at time have issues.

Would I rather have a child use the first class bathroom, or wet themselves ?????? Yeah, I know what I would prefer and it doesn't mean changing a wet child.....

In the article it states that it was "the second or third time" they had tried to use the bathroom at the front. It seems as if the first two times a blind eye had been turned. If it's an immediate need I can live with the one off but this was the third visit inside the first half of a 5.5 hours flight. Beyond this, after being denied access they should have made their ways to the back right away rather than heading back to their seats and sulking. Good on AC on throwing them a bone despite doing nothing wrong.

YOWza

Jamie514

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Something doesn't add up. Reservation agent should've known longstanding company policy would not be kind on entitled coach passengers making repeated use of the first class lav. Sure they typically bend the rules for an emergency, but the fact that they had done this "2 or 3 times" before the refusal about 2.5 hours into the flight, I can see why they were asked to stop.

Granted it takes a real tool of a flight attendant to refuse someone at a time that their collegues are blocking all access to the other toilet. Had the grandmother not already made a habit of it, she'd likely have been allowed a one time visit when she needed it. Had the grandmother forseen that a toddler who has been potty trained only a few months should travel with a pull up diaper, she also would've avoided any of this. And of course we do not know if they even asked to get past the cart.

jmt18325

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:07 pm

I call BS on the cart blocking access - they would have moved it for a kid.

Aesma

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 pm

berari wrote:
What the article fails to focus on is the fact that the kid has not traveled without diapers before, that the grandparent had no diapers nor change of clothes. The adult was not prepared and did not plan for travel with a kid. The adult also has a vendetta against the specific flight attendant.

Yeah, the woman wants the flight attendant to "think twice", but she doesn't apply it to herself...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ikramerica

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:46 pm

jmt18325 wrote:

Not always. Some cart blockers are pretty strict about it.

The claim by some that nothing can be done is garbage though. They move the carts when they need to pick up more food or drinks due to running out. And some airlines don't use carts at all, so it's just a convenience thing for the F/A to not want to move it for any reason.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

sr117

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 pm

ikramerica wrote:
jmt18325 wrote:

Not always. Some cart blockers are pretty strict about it.

The claim by some that nothing can be done is garbage though. They move the carts when they need to pick up more food or drinks due to running out. And some airlines don't use carts at all, so it's just a convenience thing for the F/A to not want to move it for any reason.

It all depends, if it's about moving the cart 2-5 rows it's fine. But if the cart is in the middle of the cabin and someone wants to use the restroom, would you move the cart all the way to the back/front of the plane so that somebody can use the restroom? (and then move it again when they're done), that delays service for the rest of the 150 people on board, especially those who are trying to hold it in until we finish service. Then people would be complaining that the drink service is taking forever.

And about some airlines not using carts, no legacy airline with a decent drink selection uses no carts, there's no way you could serve drinks to a full economy cabin without carts in a reasonable amount of time.

Little kids can usually squeeze around the carts, or if there's an empty seat in the aisle we always use it so that somebody can stay there while we move the carts around.

I don't think anybody enjoys telling people to wait so they can use the bathroom. We're all people here, we're not sadists. What you may see as the FA's being selfish may be more of them wanting to rid the aisle of the cart as soon as possible so that -everyone- can access the restroom as soon as possible.

jmt18325

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:03 am

I'm saying for a toddler, they probably would have made an exception.

YVRing

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:33 am

Aesma wrote:
Yeah, the woman wants the flight attendant to "think twice", but she doesn't apply it to herself...

You need to think twice because I didn't think ahead.

coolian2

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:21 am

The employee/fanboy/F flyer entitlement is real.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

ac7e7

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:38 am

Not a week goes by where someone is complaining about some injustice that Air Canada, Westjet, or others have committed against them. Most of the time, it's just fluff. Every time without fail the media requests comment from Gabor Lukacs. I wonder if AC or WS have him on a no-fly list. Though I agree with some of the things he has fought for in the past, I think he's a pain in the ass now. I deal with people like him all the time, and he is just a sh!t disturber. Despite his cause, it is not in his interest for the airlines to improve in any way. If they did, he would not be cashing in those cheques from media outlets looking for his useless one-line comments.

raylee67

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Economy Class passengers are not supposed to use Business Class washrooms. I think that is common sense. If they have told the agent they have special needs to access the washrooms frequently or in short notice, the agent should have sat them in the last row of the plane, not the ones close to Business Class. If no such guidance is in place for agents to follow, apparently it's time Air Canada add that to their operating procedures. But all in all, I don't think the FA did anything wrong.
319 320 321 332 333 342 343 345 388 707 717 732 736 73G 738 739 74R 742 743 744 74E 748 757 762 763 772 77E 77L 773 77W D10 M80 135 140 145 175 190 DH1 DH4 CRJ CR7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

mjoelnir

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 pm

I think the discussion here shows that procedure in an airliner seems to be holly, not to disrupted by the needs of passengers. Keep the unwashed masses out of the business class toilet and keep the social distinction up.

When a three year old declares he has to go "potty" he or she has to go, period. Delaying it is a sure thing to produce wet pants or even brown pants.
Even if a toddler has to go to the business class toilet three times during a several hour flight, what really is the problem? You do not have 20 toddlers sitting right behind the business class needing to go. Keeping the unwashed out of the business toilet should give way for single visits for people in need.

On the other hand, it will not be the first nor last three year old that wets her/his pants, but I would prefer a few visits to the wrong class toilet, to producing wet seats.

MoKa777

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:02 pm

But then, where does an airline draw the line?

When are passengers (Y, W, J and F) going to be made to take responsibility for their decisions? We can't be blaming staff all the time.

All we need after this is for people to start getting bogus leters from doctors stating that they should be allowed access to the closest lavatory. And then people will start reserving seats closer to F and J and showing their letter to 'horrible' staff...
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

boeing767300

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Essentially this is a case of a "bottom feeder" guilty of gross child neglect being entertained by the CBC. I usually fly an average of 50 sectors a year on AC and I have been seated anywhere from row 1 all the way to row last depending on my ticket. People flying up front in Business class pay a premium dollar for the privilege. They are entitled to have access to a washroom that is for the most part available to them when required. I have been on many AC flights where people in a pinch have had to come forward and the cabin attendants have always been accommodating. People forget that the flight attendant working the forward cabin has to deliver a premium product to a clientele that have paid for the privilege. Kids running through that cabin can make that job even more challenging. That same attendant is expected to assist the two attendants working the trolley in the back as time permits! no easy task.
Bottom feeder should have booked a seat at the rear of the cabin with two washrooms at her disposal. The booking agent at "ECONO TRAVEL" was an idiot to have booked a baby that far forward in the first place. As for Gabor Dingbat I fully endorse the comments of ac7e7. The clown just needs to go away.

whywhyzee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 pm

In a world where you can write to the CBC and get free stuff because you are an idiot, why wouldn't you get into a pissing match. It's not just airlines, companies get screwed here all the time because media outlets absolutely love roasting companies over the coals until they start forking over all sorts of stuff. For lack of a better word, here is a textbook case of them having AC by the balls. AC did absolutely nothing wrong, and was confronted by a someone with zero ability to problem solve and an affinity to blame other people for their own lack of intgellect and foresight, and the public will gather behind them in rage because the company supposedly wronged them. Welcome to Canada, where if you complain, you get handouts. It's like a sport.

jplatts

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:25 pm

AA, DL, and AC all have a lavatory in the middle of the economy class section on their A321 planes. Were Stacey Osmond and her daughter Ruby were on an AC A321 plane? If so, they could have been seated in the middle of the economy class section where they had access to the lavatory in the middle of the economy class section.

MoKa777

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:00 am

Since she did not plan ahead and did not adequately and/or timeously convey here needs to the booking/ticketing agent or put the child in pull-up diapers in the first place, once aboard and once she realised the child's frequent need for the bathroom, she should have asked (with the help of FAs aboard) 2 people closer to the Y lavs to switch places with her.

Adults who can better manage their bladders would likely have been more than happy to move away from the noisy, busy and smelly lavs.

She knowingly took advantage of something to which she was not entitled.

I am a Y traveler and I know what I get with my ticket. These people should too.

mjoelnir

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:48 am

I see, anybody buying a ticket at an airline has no right to any kind of service, it is in the hand of the airline what they provide. You do not have the right to travel that day you booked, you do not have the right to the seat you booked, you have no right to fly at the time you booked, even if you managed to board the airline can throw you out again at there whim. Did I get that right?

But there is one unalienable right of the business class passenger, nobody but business class passengers and crew are aloud to use his loo, even if the alternative is that somebody pees in his pants.

I think some people here lost all sense of proportion.

MoKa777

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 pm

That is ridiculous.

Like I said, I am a Y traveler. I can sympathise with the bad that we Y travelers experience but can also differentiate that from the BS of someone taking advantage and playing the victim.

You don't buy a bag of Lays and then complain to the manufacturer or the store that it was only 125g and not 150g and your granddaughter was so hungry that day that she cried... you get what is advertised and manage yourself accordingly for the rest.

Let us also not forget that J is a more profitable cabin than Y. So if any passenger is being taken advantage of by the airline it is them.

The profit is higher because the cost to provide their service is proportionally lower than the price they pay compared with Y pax.

pollitt1985

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Aesma wrote:
berari wrote:

I like the Celine Dion reference in an Air Canada thread :)

mjoelnir

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
That is ridiculous.

Like I said, I am a Y traveler. I can sympathise with the bad that we Y travelers experience but can also differentiate that from the BS of someone taking advantage and playing the victim.

You don't buy a bag of Lays and then complain to the manufacturer or the store that it was only 125g and not 150g and your granddaughter was so hungry that day that she cried... you get what is advertised and manage yourself accordingly for the rest.

Let us also not forget that J is a more profitable cabin than Y. So if any passenger is being taken advantage of by the airline it is them.

The profit is higher because the cost to provide their service is proportionally lower than the price they pay compared with Y pax.

If you include in your rights as a business traveler the right to let others piss in their pants, all the power to you. :sarcastic:

For me you just sound ridiculous.

Their is an easy solution to toilets and a by carts closed aisle on the way to it, always have a toilet in the front and the back of the Y class, instead of having two in the back.

ASQ400

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:47 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:
That is ridiculous.

If you include in your rights as a business traveler the right to let others piss in their pants, all the power to you. :sarcastic:

For me you just sound ridiculous.

Their is an easy solution to toilets and a by carts closed aisle on the way to it, always have a toilet in the front and the back of the Y class, instead of having two in the back.

It is everyone's right to get exactly what they paid for. No less...and no more

MoKa777

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 pm

You get way too sensitive way too quickly and clearly don't understand the very clear points I am trying to make. I will try not to break my head any further with this.

Goodnight and God bless.

tofur

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:53 pm

A few years ago I was working business class and there was a middle aged woman with a 4 year old son who was not potty trained. As I set up for the service, the woman put her child on the toilet and planted herself on the floor in front of the lav, door opened and persuading the toddler to go potty. I thought, oh well, pulled the curtain and started the bar service, hoping she would finish soon. I finished the bar service but the toddler had not. At this point other passengers asked to use the lav. I politely asked if she would mind vacating the toddler from the lav as other passengers wanted to use the toilet. With an eye roll she pulled the toddler off the toilet. It was a very long day as she continued to try and monopolize the lav throughout the flight.

Boarding is the most stressful time for cabin crew. I cannot even count the number of times during the middle of boarding that I have assisted an elderly person, a parent travelling with an infant, or someone who just requires assistance to reach their seat. Trying to politely work my way back to the front, I am met with a few eye rolls. We are not trying to disrupt you, we are trying to assist someone who genuinely needs our help. Thankfully most passengers are absolutely amazing, and yes we do enjoy interacting with you!

coolian2

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:08 am

MoKa777 wrote:
She knowingly took advantage of something to which she was not entitled.

Which, when she checked in and was given her seat assignment, she was advised she was entitled to. Can you read?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

MoKa777

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:59 am

It is unfair to offload all the blame on the FA.

The grandmother is getting a free pass by many and not seen as responsible for any of what went wrong. That is my gripe with the situation.

1. How were her tickets booked? Online or through a travel agent? In both cases seats can be reserved. A charge may apply. If the child has a weak bladder, a seat should have been reserved near a lav in the cabin she booked. Was that done? Clearly, no.
2. A child having only recently been potty trained and going on a 5+hour trip should be put in diapers 'just in case'. Was that done? Clearly, no.
3. If a child frequently needs the bathroom to the desperate point of actually wetting herself, she should have been taken to the lav in her cabin on a scheduled basis instead of waiting until desperation takes hold. Was that done? Most likely, no.
4. After boarding the aircraft and knowing that the booking agent was verbally allowing you a special privilege, the grandmother should have asked an FA onboard in her cabin about switching seats with someone closer to the lav situated in her cabin. Did she do that? Most likely, no. If she did and was not allowed or other pax refused, I am quite certain she would have added that to her complaint about her flight from hell. Is there any mention of such inhumane refusal by other pax? No.
5. Did she ask for the cart to be moved? There is no mention of her doing that and being refused access to the lav in her cabin.

Those are some of the things she could have, and probably should have, dealt with. She most likely did not but, hey, none of it is her fault and she could not possibly have planned for any of it.

The FA, however...

1. Was the special allowance of using the J lav communicated to the FAs onboard by the ticketing/booking agent? We do not know.
2. If the FAs were informed about the special allowance, when was this communicated to them and by whom? Did the ticketing/booking agent or other airport/airline staff inform them or the lady herself? We do not know.
3. If the lady herself communicated this to the FA, was there the time or means for the FA to verify this? We do not know. The FA may have politely agreed hoping that the lady would be responsible enough to make better arrangements once in-flight.
4. Was the J FA aware that there was an obstacle in the aisle near the Y lav? She most likely did not know this.
5. Was the FA receiving complaints from J pax? That is very likely.
6. Was the FA put in an awkward position between doing her job for her actual cabin and being highly accommodating to pax from another cabin at the same time? Obviously she was.

But, hey, let us lump all, or most, of the blame on the FA.

Edit: Clarification and sentence structure.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos