Yep. Longhaul LCC still doesn't work.
You do know that AirAsia X is currently doing KUL-OOL-AKL in 12 hr 10mins right? Amd it is packed to the brim.
Packed to the brim is not the problem--making money is. And just about every other long haul route D7 has launched has been binned.
I think you need to read their quarterly and annual report (http://www.airasiax.com/
). They having been making money after a loss during last financial year, and the loss is mainly paper loss due to forex as mentioned by flee. Just which destinations you've mentioned that "every other long haul they launched have been binned"? Here is a list of route they terminated thus far and their reasons in doing so:
- Abu Dhabi- Suspended due to ME3 and wrong aircraft was in place
- Christchurch- Earthquake diminished the demand greatly and high oil price back then, replaced with Auckland
- Adelaide- Lack of demand and frequency
- London Gatwick- Suspended due to high oil price and not having right aircraft
- Mauritius- Ousted due to local lobbying
- Paris- Suspended due to high oil price and not having right aircraft
- Tianjin- Precursor to Beijing, dropped as they shifted to Beijing
From the list, at the same time they launched many new routes and adding frequency to current routes, so please explain what do you mean by every other route being dropped. From the list, you can argue for LGW, and ORY due being ULHCC or not having the right aircraft but the rest of terminated route are beyond their control.