Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VirginFlyer

Re: Qantas reveals names for aircraft on 787 fleet

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:53 am

777Jet wrote:
Sorry if I missed it, but has the order in which the names will be applied to delivered aircraft reg #s been determined yet?

It's noted briefly at the end of Qantas's press release linked above:
qf789 wrote:

From the press release:
The names will be painted beneath the cockpit window on each aircraft. The sequencing of names will be revealed as the aircraft are delivered, with the first to arrive in October this year.

V/F

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
1. naming an Australia aircraft after a desert invented in New Zealand would be incredibly stupid, even for an Australian.

but it's really German

It's similar to but not the same as the meringue, and the name Pavlova also comes from NZ.

And just to annoy Australians the ANZAC biscuit is also from NZ.

Poor Australia forever living in NZ's culinary shadow. ;)

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:59 am

777Jet wrote:
a36001 wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say before this I'd never even heard of a Quokka much less seen one!

Likewise. Never seen nor heard of one. I suspect more Aussies have heard of Blinky Bill!

Anyway, IMHO Dreamtime stands out as the best name by far.

Sorry if I missed it, but has the order in which the names will be applied to delivered aircraft reg #s been determined yet?

Registrations will be VH-ZN*

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:05 am

qf002 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but how many planes are sporting the new QF livery?
Haven't seen A380's in new paint yet

Just the two A333s so far IIRC.

The A380s will be repainted at the same time as heavy maintenance/reconfigurations starting 2018. No idea what the timeline is for the rest of the fleet but they are really dragging their heels so far...

Its 3 A333s - QPH, QPI and QPJ

Agree with them dragging their feet with the rest of the fleet

Qantas16

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:35 am

qf789 wrote:
qf002 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but how many planes are sporting the new QF livery?
Haven't seen A380's in new paint yet

The A380s will be repainted at the same time as heavy maintenance/reconfigurations starting 2018. No idea what the timeline is for the rest of the fleet but they are really dragging their heels so far...

I would argue it shows they are spending their money well and not repainting the fleet for the sake of it when the change is minimal anyway. They took a similar approach with the 2007(?) rebranding. Provided the aircraft don't look faded and terrible, then I don't see the point of repainting them before they are due for it.

VirginFlyer

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

I would argue it shows they are spending their money well and not repainting the fleet for the sake of it when the change is minimal anyway. They took a similar approach with the 2007(?) rebranding. Provided the aircraft don't look faded and terrible, then I don't see the point of repainting them before they are due for it.

Indeed - there are still a few aircraft out there which never received the 2007 livery and are in the 1984 colours; see replies 17 to 22 in the thread New Qantas Livery Plans

V/F

gzm

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm

I have made a list of more suitable names for a fleet of B787 Dreamliners which,I think,make more sense.I hope you like them:

Enterprise....VH-ZNA____Evolution......VH-ZNE_____Expectation....VH-ZNI_____Enthusiasm.....VH-ZNM____Electra.......VH-ZNQ.
Endeavor.....VH-ZNB____Euphoria......VH-ZNF_____.Equality..........VH-ZNJ____.Elation.............VH-ZNN____Emblem.....VH-ZNR.
Eminence.....VH-ZNC____Excellence...VH-ZNG____.Expedition......VH-ZNK____Ebullience........VH-ZNO____Essence....VH-ZNS.
Endurance....VH-ZND___.Excitement...VH-ZNH____.Experience......VH-ZNL____Elevation.........VH-ZNP____Efficiency...VH-ZNT.

FlyCaledonian

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 pm

No Bouncer, Peach Melba or Diggers?

VapourTrails

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 am

gzm wrote:
I have made a list of more suitable names for a fleet of B787 Dreamliners which,I think,make more sense.I hope you like them:

Enterprise....VH-ZNA____Evolution......VH-ZNE_____Expectation....VH-ZNI_____Enthusiasm.....VH-ZNM____Electra.......VH-ZNQ.
Endeavor.....VH-ZNB____Euphoria......VH-ZNF_____.Equality..........VH-ZNJ____.Elation.............VH-ZNN____Emblem.....VH-ZNR.
Eminence.....VH-ZNC____Excellence...VH-ZNG____.Expedition......VH-ZNK____Ebullience........VH-ZNO____Essence....VH-ZNS.
Endurance....VH-ZND___.Excitement...VH-ZNH____.Experience......VH-ZNL____Elevation.........VH-ZNP____Efficiency...VH-ZNT.

OMG I love these! :hyper:

Qantas16 wrote:
I would argue it shows they are spending their money well and not repainting the fleet for the sake of it when the change is minimal anyway.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kiwirob wrote:
It's similar to but not the same as the meringue, and the name Pavlova also comes from NZ. And just to annoy Australians the ANZAC biscuit is also from NZ. Poor Australia forever living in NZ's culinary shadow. ;)

Whatever. LOL. We love New Zealand. :highfive:

VirginFlyer wrote:
For the non-Australians, this YouTube video will provide a little more clarity on the following comments:

V/F

Associated songs for the VH-ZN names.. for Dreamtime we could have.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD3SkTyXzcE :airplane:

IslandRob

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:13 am

gzm wrote:

You left off a really good Dreamliner name: Equanimity. -ir

coolian2

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:16 am

gzm wrote:

Well, you spelled Endeavour wrong and the rest scream corporate buzzwords.

gzm

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Exactly.I agree. What people would like to see is dream-like words, so I looked up yesterday the names of Australian cities or towns with E as initial and I found six only: Esk, Echuca, Exmouth, Esperance, Emerald, Eden. If we leave the first three out and use them in the Pan Am "Clipper" fashion or CP Air "Empress of..." style,we can pick eight only:
A.Dreamliner Endeavour (a ship connected with Australia)
B.Dreamliner Enterprise (a name with obvious associations)
C.Dreamliner Emerald (f.1879)
D.Dreamliner Esperance (f.1896)
E.Dreamliner Eden (f.1843)
F.Dreamliner Exploration
G.Dreamliner Equanimity
H.Dreamliner Empire
But of course this is only a game...

chimborazo

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm a Brit and think the names are apt and familiar. Except for Quokka which I didn't understand until down-thread! Every day is a school day...

But as a Brit, I'm a bit disappointed "Neighbours (or Erinsborough)" & "Home & Away (or Summer Bay)" didn't make the list :-)

chimborazo

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Add these to the "E" list:

Eviscerator
Empire- seeking to remove trace
Extrapolation
Excoriator
EXXXXtra (Australian' couldn't give a...)

CometOrbit

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:50 pm

mariner wrote:
There is a strong, coherent theme - Australiana.

I'd like to see "Baggy Green".
Particularly to baffle the non-cricketing world.

777Jet

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:23 am

CometOrbit wrote:
mariner wrote:
There is a strong, coherent theme - Australiana.

I'd like to see "Baggy Green".
Particularly to baffle the non-cricketing world.

Nice!

How about "Bushranger" given the iconic status of the criminal Ned Kelly in Australia :D

Or maybe "Southern Cross"?

Too late now anyway...

777Jet

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:27 am

gzm wrote:
Exactly.I agree. What people would like to see is dream-like words, so I looked up yesterday the names of Australian cities or towns with E as initial and I found six only: Esk, Echuca, Exmouth, Esperance, Emerald, Eden. If we leave the first three out and use them in the Pan Am "Clipper" fashion or CP Air "Empress of..." style,we can pick eight only:
A.Dreamliner Endeavour (a ship connected with Australia)
B.Dreamliner Enterprise (a name with obvious associations)
C.Dreamliner Emerald (f.1879)
D.Dreamliner Esperance (f.1896)
E.Dreamliner Eden (f.1843)
F.Dreamliner Exploration
G.Dreamliner Equanimity
H.Dreamliner Empire
But of course this is only a game...

I though Esperance, as you suggest, would be a good name for a QF bird, as well as Eucla.

KaioLucasMOS

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:09 am

''Great Southern Land'' is my favourite, a name which showcases all the beauty, strenght and vastness of this land we call Australia.

airpacific777

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:32 am

I heard that one could of been named "Vegemite"

mariner

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:18 am

gzm wrote:
Exactly.I agree. What people would like to see is dream-like words,

I can't imagine anyone using "esperance" in a sentence, except to say they're going there for the week-end, or knowing what it meant if they did use it.

On the other hand, my friend Georgie Yannapolis is ticked off because there are no Greek names in the list - Melbourne is the third largest Greek speaking city in the world - and he's having a blue with Gino from North Carlton because there aren't any Italian names.

There's one woman - metaphorically, at least - but while I understand that this isn't intended to be a list of famous Australians, there has to be room for an Aborgine. Diana Eades, perhaps. You've never heard of her? Maybe it's time you did.

I'm a bitty surprised, because I have enormous respect for Alan Joyce both as a CEO and as person and I think this list misses.

mariner

qf002

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:41 am

mariner wrote:
There's one woman - metaphorically, at least - but while I understand that this isn't intended to be a list of famous Australians, there has to be room for an Aborgine.

Aren't Boomerang, Uluru and Dreamtime aboriginal enough for you?

What would be great is if they had a little motif alongside the name like they do on Wanula Dreaming. Would prefer that to the silly retro roundel under the cockpit windows.

mariner

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:05 am

qf002 wrote:
Aren't Boomerang, Uluru and Dreamtime aboriginal enough for you?

As I tried to point out, generally, I find it easier to associate with people rather than places or things.

One of the problems for Aboriginals in Australia is that there are so few who are personally recognised or recognizable, or, of they are, it is too often to the negative.

mariner

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos