United_fan

Re: SWA will park 66 a/c in next 3 months--another record

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:19 pm

n7371f wrote:
United_fan wrote:
United retired around 75 737-200's and 727-200's the end of October 2001.

I believe this was all done on one day and like you mention I think it was last day of October. I know I was flying out of GEG that day and a 72A was heading to O'Hare and that was it.

UA had something like 50-55 72A's and 24 73A's (all 73A from Frontier) and service ended on one, single day.

October 30th. I went to my home airport every morning the last week to see and hear the 727 to ORD leave.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

DCA-ROCguy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:34 pm

66 planes is a lot even for a huge airline like WN to retire at once. If they aren't going to be back up to the same numbers again until April of next year, that means there will be cuts somewhere for at least awhile, schedule posted or not. Hopefully the medium- and smaller markets don't take it on the nose.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

MaverickTTT

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:50 pm

IPFreely wrote:
A net reduction of 20 planes is a strong indication that the expected station closures will become reality by year end.

KarlB737 wrote:
I expect this is when we will see some routes, frequencies and/or cities cut to assist in this transformation.

tkoenig95 wrote:
Has WN released any lists regarding reductions in frequencies of particular routes, axing certain routes, etc.?

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
66 planes is a lot even for a huge airline like WN to retire at once. If they aren't going to be back up to the same numbers again until April of next year, that means there will be cuts somewhere for at least awhile, schedule posted or not. Hopefully the medium- and smaller markets don't take it on the nose.

What part of "the schedule for this transition period is already released and no non-seasonal cities/routes were axed as a result of this" is so hard for the armchair CEO's in this forum to understand? It's been covered in this thread and others over and again. WN has taken a significant number of used -700's and new -800's in the past couple of years to help soften the blow of these retirements.

barney captain

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Agreed Maverick -

The "speculation" on things that are already spelled out - in no uncertain terms - is entertaining to say the least.
The elimination 22 aircraft/mo for the next three months, has long ago been mitigated.
Southeast Of Disorder

VolvoBus

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:05 pm

How long are crew scheduling going to have to be on top form for?

My understanding is that crews cannot be rated in the Classic and MAX simultaneously. It seems that the classics will be pulled from service on Sept 30 and the available MAXs will enter service on Oct 1. I imagine that conversion from Classic to MAX is relatively quick but there will be a period of time when crew will be effectively rated on the NG only.

How long will this period be, and in view of the comments regarding WN's IT capability, how confident are the crews that nobody will be allocated to a flight they are not rated to operate?

PlanesNTrains

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:34 pm

barney captain wrote:
Agreed Maverick -

The "speculation" on things that are already spelled out - in no uncertain terms - is entertaining to say the least.
The elimination 22 aircraft/mo for the next three months, has long ago been mitigated.

Especially when these older frames are likely flying a bit less productively as well.
-Dave

chrisair

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:31 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
I believe the aging 733s are primarily used on intra-Texas routes these days, much like the -200's and -500's were in their final days before retirement. However, the condition of the old Classic was *far* better than I expected.

Just had one on PHX-LAX (coincidentally on the hottest day of the year!). I saw four or five of them that afternoon parked at gates, so they're definitely getting sent outside Texas.

The inside was in surprisingly decent shape and the air conditioning actually worked! Dare I say it was cooler on that plane than my -700 was the other afternoon leaving PHX. First time in four years I wasn't soaked in sweat when getting a -300 out of Phoenix.

That being said, the 300s need to go ASAP. I was commiserating with a Gate Agent about the 300s, and we both agreed that they should never be routed through PHX, LAS or southern Texas in the summer months.

Jshank83

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:13 pm

chrisair wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
I believe the aging 733s are primarily used on intra-Texas routes these days, much like the -200's and -500's were in their final days before retirement. However, the condition of the old Classic was *far* better than I expected.

Just had one on PHX-LAX (coincidentally on the hottest day of the year!). I saw four or five of them that afternoon parked at gates, so they're definitely getting sent outside Texas.

The inside was in surprisingly decent shape and the air conditioning actually worked! Dare I say it was cooler on that plane than my -700 was the other afternoon leaving PHX. First time in four years I wasn't soaked in sweat when getting a -300 out of Phoenix.

That being said, the 300s need to go ASAP. I was commiserating with a Gate Agent about the 300s, and we both agreed that they should never be routed through PHX, LAS or southern Texas in the summer months.

Speaking of heat I had a connection in LAS last weekend. I think it was 110+ (not to mention it was really windy which made for a little bit of a wild landing). I was inbound on a -700 and had a -800 on my outbound. What a difference. The 800 was cooler inside than the airport was.

737tanker

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:32 pm

VolvoBus wrote:

My understanding is that crews cannot be rated in the Classic and MAX simultaneously. It seems that the classics will be pulled from service on Sept 30 and the available MAXs will enter service on Oct 1. I imagine that conversion from Classic to MAX is relatively quick but there will be a period of time when crew will be effectively rated on the NG only.

How long will this period be, and in view of the comments regarding WN's IT capability, how confident are the crews that nobody will be allocated to a flight they are not rated to operate?

From what I have read all of the WN crews will be trained on the MAX by October 1st. So while the crews will be trained on all types since there is no FAA approved training for Classic and MAX flying they couldn't fly both. Yes that sounds strange but that is the government for you. So bottom line there will be no scheduling issues involving training concerming the MAX come October 1st.

AWACSooner

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:37 pm

jbmitt wrote:
Didn't the majors park 727s quickly after 9/11? I recall DL phasing out 727, L1011, 733 (glass and non-glass) 732 all in short order.

DL kept the 732's til around 2005 and the 733's til around then as well...maybe into 06.

san747

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:51 am

AWACSooner wrote:
jbmitt wrote:
Didn't the majors park 727s quickly after 9/11? I recall DL phasing out 727, L1011, 733 (glass and non-glass) 732 all in short order.

DL kept the 732's til around 2005 and the 733's til around then as well...maybe into 06.

Actually the opposite. The 733s were retired before the 732s! The -200s lasted until late 2006 or so, while the -300s were gone in '05.
Scotty doesn't know...

rbavfan

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:09 pm

VolvoBus wrote:

If they stop classics on Sept 30 & start max service in Oct 1st. there wont be any time the crew are NG only.

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:56 pm

rbavfan wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

If they stop classics on Sept 30 & start max service in Oct 1st. there wont be any time the crew are NG only.

rbavfan:
Correct, in particular as WN doesn't do redeyes.

The MAX offers new routes. I'll be interested to know if any are ETOPS equiped/certified for Hawaii duty as well as flights to South America.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

VolvoBus

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:21 pm

rbavfan wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

So my understanding is wrong,then. My scenario was ,if the crew qualified in Classics are flying them on Sept 30, they will have to re-qualify overnight to be able to fly MAXs on Oct 1..

SWADawg

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:29 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

So my understanding is wrong,then. My scenario was ,if the crew qualified in Classics are flying them on Sept 30, they will have to re-qualify overnight to be able to fly MAXs on Oct 1..

Yes. Your understanding is wrong. All pilots will be already trained before the first MAX enters service on October 1st. Training should begin by the end of July. It's just an online differences course.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:00 pm

SWADawg wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

Yes. Your understanding is wrong. All pilots will be already trained before the first MAX enters service on October 1st. Training should begin by the end of July. It's just an online differences course.

Serious question, can a pilot take the training and take the MAX check rides and still fly the classic with an overnight submittal of the paperwork?

Lightsaber

n7371f

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:08 am

lightsaber wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

rbavfan:
Correct, in particular as WN doesn't do redeyes.

The MAX offers new routes. I'll be interested to know if any are ETOPS equiped/certified for Hawaii duty as well as flights to South America.

Lightsaber

No the current batch of MAX deliveries are not ETOPS. At least from walking around the Boeing Renton flight line several times and looking at the 8 or so WN fully painted MAX's that do not have ETOPS anywhere on the aircraft.

beefstew25

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:22 am

Is Tucson the airport used for scrapping? I drove by there today and must have seen 12-15 SW jets in various stages of teardown.
MLB

n471wn
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm

beefstew25 wrote:
Is Tucson the airport used for scrapping? I drove by there today and must have seen 12-15 SW jets in various stages of teardown.

Yes the majority go there and a few to Stuggart Arkansas

TheGeordielad

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:42 pm

n471wn wrote:
beefstew25 wrote:

As well as Roswell

n471wn
Topic Author

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
n471wn wrote:
beefstew25 wrote:

As well as Roswell

Yes and a further review shows that the 300's have also gone to Mohave and Victorville and Kingman and Indianapolis and Everett (Paine Field) and Kansas City and Greenwood and Marana.

bennett123

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:16 am

Have there been any developments concerning the conversion of B737-300's into fire tankers?.

dc10lover

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:21 pm

I hope air crew will not be temporarily laid off as they retire the 300's and as new aircraft are delivered.
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

737max8

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:52 pm

^What? SWA is not reducing flying lol. They are adding 67 175-seaters this year and flying the NG's more to cover the gap of 87 classics leaving. I think someone calculated it to be around a gap of 11 a/c in reality.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

MIflyer12

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:58 pm

dc10lover wrote:
I hope air crew will not be temporarily laid off as they retire the 300's and as new aircraft are delivered.

Since the MAX 8 for 733/735 is part of the ungauging trend that's been going on for a few years, it's technically true that WN can replace seats 1 for 1 while reducing frames (and pilot hours). Given WN ASM growth trend, however, it would be a very short blip. There may be some small and temporary reduction in pilot hours on average. It would be costly - in retraining - and very counterproductive (in terms of pilot relations) to have an actual layoff, IMHO.

travaz

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 pm

dc10lover wrote:

The Union would not allow it. Besides I would assume they would be typed in a 700 NG.

I am a bit confused as to why a pilot can't be typed on a 300 and a Max at the same time?

george77300

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:22 pm

travaz wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

The Union would not allow it. Besides I would assume they would be typed in a 700 NG.

I am a bit confused as to why a pilot can't be typed on a 300 and a Max at the same time?

A WN pilot can only be typed on two types out of Classic/NG/Max. Therefore WN is getting rid of the Classic -300 before Max so all pilots can be NG/Max and able to fly all aircraft.
712,733,734,738,744,752,763,77E,773,77W

travaz

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:26 pm

george77300 wrote:
travaz wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

A WN pilot can only be typed on two types out of Classic/NG/Max. Therefore WN is getting rid of the Classic -300 before Max so all pilots can be NG/Max and able to fly all aircraft.

OK thanks for the info. Is that a WN rule or FAA or Union?

AAvgeek744

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 pm

If I may make a suggestion on people who see a thread title and read a few comments the ask a question. Read the entire thread first. I was recently eviscerated by someone because had I looked further down the thread, I would have seen the answer to my posted question.

george77300

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 pm

travaz wrote:
george77300 wrote:
travaz wrote:

Not a clue I'm afraid, but almost definitely one of the three although it's not a WN rule.
712,733,734,738,744,752,763,77E,773,77W

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:07 pm

How many 737-300s have been parked by WN? In July? In Aug.

Lightsaber

Canuck600

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:16 pm

george77300 wrote:
travaz wrote:
george77300 wrote:

Not a clue I'm afraid, but almost definitely one of the three although it's not a WN rule.

Pretty sure it's a FAA rule

n471wn
Topic Author

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 pm

lightsaber wrote:
How many 737-300s have been parked by WN? In July? In Aug.

Lightsaber

They are. Ow down to 59

CriticalPoint

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:39 pm

travaz wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

There is no "Classic", NG or MAX type just s 737 type. SW pilots can fly all aircraft at once even in the same trip. The FAA decided that the differences between the "Clasics", NGs and MAXs were to much for the pilots to remain current on. I'm sure the FAA gave SW multiple solutions to the currency problem and SW made the decision to park the jets.

For example at UA the FAA decided a couple years ago that pilots must maintain a 90 day currency on the 767-400, Because the differences are to much from the 767-300 and 757-200/300. That is part of the reason the 764 is relegated to ONLY EWR and IAD. SFO, LAX, ORD, IAH and DEN pilots are not current in the 764 and would need some sort of currency training in order to fly it even though they all have s 767 type rating. I'm sure SW was offered the same deal and figured it was to much of a Hassel to mess with.

aemoreira1981

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:42 pm

I would imagine that most of these planes being retired are owned planes. For the 600s original to WN from the mid-1990s (some of which are newer than the earliest 737-700s for which WN was the launch customer), has WN been able to find a buyer for most of those frames, such as an aircraft lessor?

BTW, for the winter schedule at UA, it looks as though all of the 764s will be exclusive to Newark.

n471wn
Topic Author

Re: SWA will park 66 a/c in next 3 months--another reco

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 am

[quote="aemoreira1981"]I would imagine that most of these planes being retired are owned planes. For the 600s original to WN from the mid-1990s (some of which are newer than the earliest 737-700s for which WN was the launch customer), has WN been able to find a buyer for most of those frames, such as an aircraft lessor?

BTW, for the winter schedule at UA, it looks as though all of the 764s wil

WN never flew the600 series

737max8

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:22 am

^I think he is talking about the 600 tail numbers, which are all 737-300's.

A large chunk of the remaining classics are leased.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

airliner371

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:21 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I would imagine that most of these planes being retired are owned planes. For the 600s original to WN from the mid-1990s (some of which are newer than the earliest 737-700s for which WN was the launch customer), has WN been able to find a buyer for most of those frames, such as an aircraft lessor?

BTW, for the winter schedule at UA, it looks as though all of the 764s will be exclusive to Newark.

It really goes aircraft by aircraft but WN is purchasing some 733s off lease and retiring them.
Take a little time and enjoy the view.

aemoreira1981

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:45 pm

n471wn wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

600 series plane numbers (i.e., N637SW).

n471wn
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:27 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
n471wn wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

600 series plane numbers (i.e., N637SW).

Sorry and now understand

barney captain

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Some of the latest -300 retirement numbers;

18 leave Aug 14th (today)
10 leave Sept 10th
30 leave Sept 29th
Southeast Of Disorder

N383SW

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm

barney captain wrote:

10 leave Sept 10th
30 leave Sept 29th

Do you have the tail numbers for the 18 leaving today?

barney captain

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:24 pm

N383SW wrote:
barney captain wrote:

10 leave Sept 10th
30 leave Sept 29th

I looked but couldn't find the specific tail numbers.
Southeast Of Disorder

MO11

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:31 pm

N383SW wrote:
barney captain wrote:

10 leave Sept 10th
30 leave Sept 29th

359 380 386 387 390 620 622 which are leased
376 379 394 395 607 624 629 630 631 642 647 which are not.

barney captain

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 pm

MO11 wrote:
N383SW wrote:
barney captain wrote:

10 leave Sept 10th
30 leave Sept 29th

Great info - thanks.
Southeast Of Disorder

n471wn
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 pm

barney captain wrote:
MO11 wrote:
N383SW wrote:

Great info - thanks.[/quote

I entered the first 5 registrations into Flightaware and they show schedules through 16 of August so I doubt that 18 are leaving today all at once

737max8

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:39 am

I heard it was 14 today

MO11

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:28 am

Canuck600 wrote:
george77300 wrote:
travaz wrote:

This is not exactly correct. It's a training/currency issue. A 737 type rating is good for all variants.

rbavfan

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:48 am

United_fan wrote:
737-400's make better freighters due to their length. I read that there is a greater chance of a loader hitting the engine on a -300.

The 400 freighters have weight & balance issues the 300's do not have.

rbavfan

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:52 am

MO11 wrote:
Canuck600 wrote:
george77300 wrote:

This is not exactly correct. It's a training/currency issue. A 737 type rating is good for all variants.

FAA is allowing cross training on 737 classic to NG and from NG to Max only, they will not allow a pilot to be certified on all 3 at once and have left the Classic out of the NG/Max mix. If WN keep the 300's they will have to have 2 pilot pools to fly their system. WN wont do that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos