• 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
 
winginit
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Moose135 wrote:
After some confusion, according to the airline, a flight attendant stepped in to ask the affected passengers to return to the seats on their respective tickets. Everyone, including Coulter, complied and the flight departed and landed without further incident, according to Delta.


If that's accurate - and yes, it's from DL - that means she's been whining for the past two days because she was asked to change seats, and after objecting, was able to return to the seat she spent so much time carefully selecting.


Woah woah woah. This is new information for me. So all this complaining and she didn't even have to switch seats for more than what a few minutes?!
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:19 pm

cokepopper wrote:
michman wrote:
Mir wrote:

Once she found out that she had a different seat, she should have taken it up with the gate agent. She would have gotten a new boarding pass with a different seat number as soon as she scanned her original one. Given how much time she says she spent picking out her seat, she should have known right away that it wasn't the one she selected, and asked the gate agent about it. They've got the ability to do things to correct the problem. The flight attendants don't, and the statement of 'I don't know why you were assigned a different seat than the one you booked' is almost certainly a completely truthful one.

And the amount of time spent on figuring out the issue considering the difference is between an aisle seat in the exit row and a window seat in the exit row (it's not like she got reassigned to a middle seat in economy) is not worth taking a delay over. Delta's passengers take on-time performance seriously, which means Delta does as well, and there were a lot of other people on that plane who wanted to get where they were going. At that point, the best thing to do is to take it up with the airline after the flight. The airline apologizes, it refunds the money spent on the seat selection, and the situation is over.

Or at least that's what should happen with rational people who aren't on an ego trip.


They switched her seat after she had already boarded and sat down. There was no new boarding pass printed at the gate. Let's get our facts straight.



Switched AFTER boarding? Do you know this as fact? I haven't seen this anywhere. From what I understand her seat was switched to 15a from 15D before boarding. After getting on a/c she sat in 15a. Flight Attendant Went to brief the exit rows and was asked by coulter why her seat was changed, of course the flight attendant had no idea, as she was assisting with bags and exit row briefing. she then takes picture of Flight Attendant And also takes picture of passenger sitting in 15 D.

Interesting how some posters say take this women out of the equation, but if the same posters would take DELTA Out of the equation I believe they would also be singing a different tune.


What a lame-ass comment. I am one of the people saying take her out of the equation, and I have no skin in the Delta fight. I'm thinking of it as a passenger and having this occur when I'm flying. Is that so tough to understand?

Having said that, I'm wondering where you heard that version? I don't doubt it's veracity, but we haven't been able to nail down the events clearly.
-Dave
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 pm

"The airline said that Coulter originally booked seat 15F, which is located by the window in an exit row, however; within 24 hours of the flight’s departure, the customer changed to seat 15D, which is by the aisle. At the time of boarding, Delta inadvertently moved Coulter to 15A, a window seat, when working to accommodate several passengers with seating requests.

When there was some confusion with seating assignments during boarding, a flight attendant stepped in and asked that all of the passengers move to the seats noted on their respective tickets. All customers complied and the flight departed without incident. "


So re-reading this, she wasn't seated in 15D and then asked to move, but rather got onboard, realized she had a different seat than selected, and inquired why. Then it went from there. Somewhere in this thread I think there was a separate comment - perhaps a tweet - from DL that said they asked her to move and she refused, so then they made her move. I'll have to try to track that down.

If she wasn't seated in 15D and then forced to get up and move, then it's not the same as originally understood (by me, anyway). My primary issue is being told to get your butt out of your pre-selected seat and move so someone else can sit where they want to sit. I still don't like the process of moving people from their selected seats prior to boarding, but in those instances I think the airline is doing the best they can to try to make everyone happy. Obviously, that doesn't always work.
Last edited by PlanesNTrains on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
 
grbauc
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Delta Finally Getting Some Negative Coverage

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 pm

[quote="VC10er"]I once sat across from her on an UA SF to JFK ps flight MANY years ago. Oddly she kept staring at me and smiling big at me (first time I ever saw her smile). Inside the vomit was up to my tonsils- and I have a bad poker face: she had to have seen my contempt??? everyone knows what I'm thinking. I did think to myself how she must catch the wrath in public often.
Had she been seated next to me I would have had to move or give her an earful for 5 hours. Can they (any airline) just move you out of your pre-assigned seat with no reason? Also, if I rang the FA call button and said "I cannot sit next to this person because I loath them", I assume they'd move me, not her (or it)[/quote

How come so many in America can't agree to disagree. I get it some people will rub me wrong but there is and can be a learning or teaching opportunity in almost all situations. Example If I was seated next to Michael Moore even though I disagree on many(most) things. Now depending on the conversation would either just listen, or if I determine he acceptable to back n forth conversation not try to change his opinion but open his eyes to a different view. And even if he's not at all agreeable on any kind of conversation but only his own opinion id try to learn something from him. Mind you I find him to be way overboard when i've seen him in interview on the news years ago.

WE can agree to disagree without having to become ugly.....

No one side is absolutely right!!!!
 
winginit
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:32 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
"The airline said that Coulter originally booked seat 15F, which is located by the window in an exit row, however; within 24 hours of the flight’s departure, the customer changed to seat 15D, which is by the aisle. At the time of boarding, Delta inadvertently moved Coulter to 15A, a window seat, when working to accommodate several passengers with seating requests.

When there was some confusion with seating assignments during boarding, a flight attendant stepped in and asked that all of the passengers move to the seats noted on their respective tickets. All customers complied and the flight departed without incident. "


So re-reading this, she wasn't seated in 15D and then asked to move, but rather got onboard, realized she had a different seat than selected, and inquired why. Then it went from there. Somewhere in this thread I think there was a separate comment - perhaps a tweet - from DL that said they asked her to move and she refused, so then they made her move. I'll have to try to track that down.

If she wasn't seated in 15D and then forced to get up and move, then it's not the same as originally understood (by me, anyway). My primary issue is being told to get your butt out of your pre-selected seat and move so someone else can sit where they want to sit. I still don't like the process of moving people from their selected seats prior to boarding, but in those instances I think the airline is doing the best they can to try to make everyone happy. Obviously, that doesn't always work.


This is starting to look worse and worse for Ms. Coulter.
 
grbauc
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Delta Finally Getting Some Negative Coverage

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:33 pm

pallvidar wrote:
So we can't put our political opinions aside for a few moment to discuss Delta's mistake regardless of who was at the receiving end of it?




It seem has though its impossible. I like your thinking :bigthumbsup:
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 pm

winginit wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
"The airline said that Coulter originally booked seat 15F, which is located by the window in an exit row, however; within 24 hours of the flight’s departure, the customer changed to seat 15D, which is by the aisle. At the time of boarding, Delta inadvertently moved Coulter to 15A, a window seat, when working to accommodate several passengers with seating requests.

When there was some confusion with seating assignments during boarding, a flight attendant stepped in and asked that all of the passengers move to the seats noted on their respective tickets. All customers complied and the flight departed without incident. "


So re-reading this, she wasn't seated in 15D and then asked to move, but rather got onboard, realized she had a different seat than selected, and inquired why. Then it went from there. Somewhere in this thread I think there was a separate comment - perhaps a tweet - from DL that said they asked her to move and she refused, so then they made her move. I'll have to try to track that down.

If she wasn't seated in 15D and then forced to get up and move, then it's not the same as originally understood (by me, anyway). My primary issue is being told to get your butt out of your pre-selected seat and move so someone else can sit where they want to sit. I still don't like the process of moving people from their selected seats prior to boarding, but in those instances I think the airline is doing the best they can to try to make everyone happy. Obviously, that doesn't always work.


This is starting to look worse and worse for Ms. Coulter.


Well, it never really looked all that good. lol However, in reading the NYT article a few minutes ago, I have to say that she articulated how I'd feel (to my own degree) as well. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/busi ... itter.html

“I was in the boarding area 90 minutes before the flight took off, but I was never called to the counter and asked to switch seats,” she wrote in the email.

“Perhaps they should spend less time sneering at their customers’ post-flight commentary and more time investigating why they invite customers to prebook their seats online, only for their gate agents to go into the computer, cancel a reserved seat, print new tickets, and give a prebooked seat to another customer, who apparently wanted the same seat — but not quite enough to bother booking it in advance.”

“I spent time ‘reserving’ — that term has a flexible meaning at Delta — a specific seat, and that’s my hourly rate. I looked up the aircraft, considered my options and booked the seat I wanted. I checked back to see how the flight was filling up to review my options again. I had reasons for choosing 15D, not 15A, or any other seat.”
-Dave
 
bennett123
Posts: 7822
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Would be interesting to know how much of her time is 'worth' $10K.
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 2716
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Would be interesting to know how much of her time is 'worth' $10K.

I think it represents her value of the time she spent harassing some minimum wage intern who did the actual work...
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!
 
jetero
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 pm

DLX, winginit, scbirml:

Keep on fighting the good fight!

The only reason this is an issue is because it's Ann Coulter, as scbriml said:

Scbriml wrote:
The only reason it is "an issue" is because of who she is. :yuck:


So you have people circling the wagons trying to defend something that's just indefensible. Her seat was moved. WAAAH WAAAH! And what does she do afterwards? Go on a tweetstorm like the world is ending, and take pictures of people. (Great photo, BTW. Don't know how anyone can defend that.)

Isn't the Republican Party supposed to be against entitlements?
 
Mir
Posts: 19356
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:55 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:29 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
"The airline said that Coulter originally booked seat 15F, which is located by the window in an exit row, however; within 24 hours of the flight’s departure, the customer changed to seat 15D, which is by the aisle. At the time of boarding, Delta inadvertently moved Coulter to 15A, a window seat, when working to accommodate several passengers with seating requests.

When there was some confusion with seating assignments during boarding, a flight attendant stepped in and asked that all of the passengers move to the seats noted on their respective tickets. All customers complied and the flight departed without incident. "


So re-reading this, she wasn't seated in 15D and then asked to move, but rather got onboard, realized she had a different seat than selected, and inquired why. Then it went from there. Somewhere in this thread I think there was a separate comment - perhaps a tweet - from DL that said they asked her to move and she refused, so then they made her move. I'll have to try to track that down.

If she wasn't seated in 15D and then forced to get up and move, then it's not the same as originally understood (by me, anyway). My primary issue is being told to get your butt out of your pre-selected seat and move so someone else can sit where they want to sit. I still don't like the process of moving people from their selected seats prior to boarding, but in those instances I think the airline is doing the best they can to try to make everyone happy. Obviously, that doesn't always work.


My understanding is that she thought she had selected 15D, and then Delta inadvertently changed it to 15A. When boarding, she would have gotten a new boarding pass, but she didn't pay attention to it and sat down in 15D (which is understandable, since she wasn't expecting a seat change). Then the passenger who had been assigned 15D showed up, found Coulter sitting in her assigned seat, and at that point Coulter found out that she had been swapped to 15A and the crew told her that she needed to move over there. It's a simple misunderstanding with very minor consequences that in no way needed to be escalated the way Coulter did.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 pm

I remember when people just got on a plane and were happy to be up in the air eating pretzels and sipping whisky. It's all become far too complicated now...
 
cokepopper
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 9:44 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
cokepopper wrote:
michman wrote:

They switched her seat after she had already boarded and sat down. There was no new boarding pass printed at the gate. Let's get our facts straight.



Switched AFTER boarding? Do you know this as fact? I haven't seen this anywhere. From what I understand her seat was switched to 15a from 15D before boarding. After getting on a/c she sat in 15a. Flight Attendant Went to brief the exit rows and was asked by coulter why her seat was changed, of course the flight attendant had no idea, as she was assisting with bags and exit row briefing. she then takes picture of Flight Attendant And also takes picture of passenger sitting in 15 D.

Interesting how some posters say take this women out of the equation, but if the same posters would take DELTA Out of the equation I believe they would also be singing a different tune.


What a lame-ass comment. I am one of the people saying take her out of the equation, and I have no skin in the Delta fight. I'm thinking of it as a passenger and having this occur when I'm flying. Is that so tough to understand?

Having said that, I'm wondering where you heard that version? I don't doubt it's veracity, but we haven't been able to nail down the events clearly.

I Heard it through my fellow Delta F/A co-workers.
I see more and more of the story (read my synopsis) is coming out.
 
User avatar
IslandRob
Posts: 521
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 am

scbriml wrote:
Seriously, who cares? It's Ann Coulter.

I assume her boomstick was being serviced.


"Boomstick"? Never mind, I don't want to know! -ir
If you wrote me off I'd understand it
Because I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:34 am

Mir wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
"The airline said that Coulter originally booked seat 15F, which is located by the window in an exit row, however; within 24 hours of the flight’s departure, the customer changed to seat 15D, which is by the aisle. At the time of boarding, Delta inadvertently moved Coulter to 15A, a window seat, when working to accommodate several passengers with seating requests.

When there was some confusion with seating assignments during boarding, a flight attendant stepped in and asked that all of the passengers move to the seats noted on their respective tickets. All customers complied and the flight departed without incident. "


So re-reading this, she wasn't seated in 15D and then asked to move, but rather got onboard, realized she had a different seat than selected, and inquired why. Then it went from there. Somewhere in this thread I think there was a separate comment - perhaps a tweet - from DL that said they asked her to move and she refused, so then they made her move. I'll have to try to track that down.

If she wasn't seated in 15D and then forced to get up and move, then it's not the same as originally understood (by me, anyway). My primary issue is being told to get your butt out of your pre-selected seat and move so someone else can sit where they want to sit. I still don't like the process of moving people from their selected seats prior to boarding, but in those instances I think the airline is doing the best they can to try to make everyone happy. Obviously, that doesn't always work.


My understanding is that she thought she had selected 15D, and then Delta inadvertently changed it to 15A. When boarding, she would have gotten a new boarding pass, but she didn't pay attention to it and sat down in 15D (which is understandable, since she wasn't expecting a seat change). Then the passenger who had been assigned 15D showed up, found Coulter sitting in her assigned seat, and at that point Coulter found out that she had been swapped to 15A and the crew told her that she needed to move over there. It's a simple misunderstanding with very minor consequences that in no way needed to be escalated the way Coulter did.


1. I don't understand how they "inadvertently changed it"? I still think they chose to mention her previous window seat selection and the word "inadvertently" to make it seem like she got what she wanted originally (as if that matters) and that they didn't intentionally change her seat assignment (which I don't believe).

2. How she handled it was ridiculous.

3. So she was given a new boarding pass? That isn't normal to do at the gate, is it? Unless there is a change, at which time wouldn't they normally mention it?
-Dave
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Delta Finally Getting Some Negative Coverage

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:05 am

pallvidar wrote:
So we can't put our political opinions aside for a few moment to discuss Delta's mistake regardless of who was at the receiving end of it?



What mistake? DL has the right to change seat assignments at the last minute for various reasons .

If Ann was that unhappy , she should of said i paid 30.00 extra for this seat and i'm not moving.

Oh well, I hope she got the publicity she was looking for.
 
ryanov
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:38 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:07 am

When you scan a boarding pass on Delta, a coupon may print out that gives you an alternate seat assignment. It can happen for all sorts of reasons. For a while there, it was happening to me regularly on MD88 equipment when they were going through a reconfiguration that eliminated the seat I typically booked. It often happens on upgrades, or if you make a seat change near departure. For whatever reason, the app frequently does not register seat changes after check in, so if you scan a mobile boarding pass, it may print one of those seat coupons as well.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:11 am

ryanov wrote:
When you scan a boarding pass on Delta, a coupon may print out that gives you an alternate seat assignment. It can happen for all sorts of reasons. For a while there, it was happening to me regularly on MD88 equipment when they were going through a reconfiguration that eliminated the seat I typically booked. It often happens on upgrades, or if you make a seat change near departure. For whatever reason, the app frequently does not register seat changes after check in, so if you scan a mobile boarding pass, it may print one of those seat coupons as well.


Interesting - I didn't know that. Thanks.

I wonder if it printed a new boarding pass for her as it was scanned, the gate agent mentioned a seat change, and AC thought it was referencing her own change made from the previous day? Then she boarded, went to her chosen seat, the other gal boarded, AC had to move, then when she flagged down the FA and the FA had no answers, she got pissed. Then she had two hours to stew on it before starting the twitter rants after arrival in FL.

Anyhow....
-Dave
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 14571
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:30 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Just because you don't care where you sit, or care if they move you without giving you a reason, doesn't mean everyone does.


I didn't say that. I've been moved from my selected seat on several occasions, normally with no more explanation then "I'm afraid we've had to move you, sir"
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
alfa164
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Delta Finally Getting Some Negative Coverage

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 am

grbauc wrote:
How come so many in America can't agree to disagree.......


Because to some people - and Ann Coulter is one of the worst - anyone who disagrees with you is the enemy, and must be eliminated, exterminated, or shut down.

In the USA, it is compared to throwing red meat to the dogs... and she makes a lot of money doing it. Unfortunately, it only stirs hatred - not debate or discussion - and, in that case, no one seems able to "agree to disagree."
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 15876
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:23 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
“I spent time ‘reserving’ — that term has a flexible meaning at Delta — a specific seat, and that’s my hourly rate. I looked up the aircraft, considered my options and booked the seat I wanted. I checked back to see how the flight was filling up to review my options again. I had reasons for choosing 15D, not 15A, or any other seat.”

On top of all the rest, now she admits it takes her an hour of billable time to choose an airline seat? Oy! Neither party is covering themselves with glory here, IMHO.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5673
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:59 am

People can hammer as much as they want to on the airlines right to change your seat assignment. If the airline lets you pay for your seat assignment that right is gone. You paid for this one seat. If the airline still wants to move you, they should at least pay you immediately back what you paid for your seat assignment and should not wait for your complaint. I would just file it under fraud, taking money for a service they are not prepared to provide.
 
alfa164
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:53 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
People can hammer as much as they want to on the airlines right to change your seat assignment. If the airline lets you pay for your seat assignment that right is gone. You paid for this one seat. If the airline still wants to move you, they should at least pay you immediately back what you paid for your seat assignment and should not wait for your complaint. I would just file it under fraud, taking money for a service they are not prepared to provide.

Not exactly; you pay for a seat in a particular section of the aircraft.

And I still don't understand why people are so anal-retentive about seats... :roll:
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5673
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 pm

alfa164 wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
People can hammer as much as they want to on the airlines right to change your seat assignment. If the airline lets you pay for your seat assignment that right is gone. You paid for this one seat. If the airline still wants to move you, they should at least pay you immediately back what you paid for your seat assignment and should not wait for your complaint. I would just file it under fraud, taking money for a service they are not prepared to provide.

Not exactly; you pay for a seat in a particular section of the aircraft.

And I still don't understand why people are so anal-retentive about seats... :roll:


You paid for being able to choose a certain seat. Not a class or a particular section. And I am anal retentive when somebody tries to swindle you out of your money, with offering something, letting you pay and than wriggles out of providing it. And it makes no difference if it is 5 $ or 1,000.
 
User avatar
IslandRob
Posts: 521
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:40 pm

alfa164 wrote:
And I still don't understand why people are so anal-retentive about seats... :roll:


Because, in the me-first society we've cultivated, many people have lost all sense of perspective and proportion. -ir
If you wrote me off I'd understand it
Because I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed
 
D L X
Posts: 11895
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:25 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

You paid for being able to choose a certain seat. Not a class or a particular section. And I am anal retentive when somebody tries to swindle you out of your money, with offering something, letting you pay and than wriggles out of providing it. And it makes no difference if it is 5 $ or 1,000.



Can you point to the place in the contract of carriage that says that?

Coulter paid $30 for something and got $30 worth of something extremely similar. The ONLY reasons she is complaining is because an "immigrant" has the seat she wanted (though she apparently ended up in a seat she had earlier chosen) and because bitch and moan is what she does. Again, if you cannot recognize this as her m.o., you haven't been paying attention to her over the years. You've been taken for fools.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5673
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:11 pm

D L X wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

You paid for being able to choose a certain seat. Not a class or a particular section. And I am anal retentive when somebody tries to swindle you out of your money, with offering something, letting you pay and than wriggles out of providing it. And it makes no difference if it is 5 $ or 1,000.



Can you point to the place in the contract of carriage that says that?

Coulter paid $30 for something and got $30 worth of something extremely similar. The ONLY reasons she is complaining is because an "immigrant" has the seat she wanted (though she apparently ended up in a seat she had earlier chosen) and because bitch and moan is what she does. Again, if you cannot recognize this as her m.o., you haven't been paying attention to her over the years. You've been taken for fools.


If you pay extra for being able to choose your seat, the offer to choose your seat is made by the airline, you accept that offer and pay. If you pay 30 USD for being able to choose your seat and you are moved by the airline, without the airline returning your money, the airline defrauded you of 30 USD.

If the airline is nickel and diming for "extras", than they should deliver extras or repay.
 
ual763
Topic Author
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:35 pm

I suppose some of you will blast the source of this video, but anyways, here is a better explanation at least from her side of what happened.

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos ... 153286336/
 
33lspotter
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm

I can't stand Ann Coulter, and disagree with the vast majority of what she says. That said, I am on her side on this one -- it seems to me that Delta was in the wrong here.
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388
 
don0245
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:44 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm

I think the bigger matter is that society has changed so much. People think they can do what they want to do with no regard to anyone but themselves. Not much respect anymore.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:07 pm

scbriml wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Just because you don't care where you sit, or care if they move you without giving you a reason, doesn't mean everyone does.


I didn't say that. I've been moved from my selected seat on several occasions, normally with no more explanation then "I'm afraid we've had to move you, sir"


Yes, and you obviously weren't bothered by it. I'm just saying that some people aren't going to be happy with seeing someone else take their chosen seat "just because". Some couldn't care less. Tomato. Tomahto.
-Dave
 
User avatar
OA412
Crew
Posts: 4144
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 pm

I agree with those who say you can't divorce the person from the event. I don't care where you lean politically. I don't care if you're left, right, or sideways, if you're a professional provocateur, then people are going to question your motives. Ms. Coulter is such a person, and her decision to, let's be honest, blow this even way out of proportion is in keeping with the professional image she's cultivated over the last two-plus decades.

mjoelnir wrote:
D L X wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

You paid for being able to choose a certain seat. Not a class or a particular section. And I am anal retentive when somebody tries to swindle you out of your money, with offering something, letting you pay and than wriggles out of providing it. And it makes no difference if it is 5 $ or 1,000.



Can you point to the place in the contract of carriage that says that?

Coulter paid $30 for something and got $30 worth of something extremely similar. The ONLY reasons she is complaining is because an "immigrant" has the seat she wanted (though she apparently ended up in a seat she had earlier chosen) and because bitch and moan is what she does. Again, if you cannot recognize this as her m.o., you haven't been paying attention to her over the years. You've been taken for fools.


If you pay extra for being able to choose your seat, the offer to choose your seat is made by the airline, you accept that offer and pay. If you pay 30 USD for being able to choose your seat and you are moved by the airline, without the airline returning your money, the airline defrauded you of 30 USD.

If the airline is nickel and diming for "extras", than they should deliver extras or repay.


Except it didn't defraud her. She received a seat "substantially similar" to the one she'd reserved and paid for. She wasn't even moved to a different row. Rather than 15D, which is an aisle, she was seated in 15A, which is a window. She still received the same type of seat, same exit row, same everything. The only difference was that she ended up with a window, rather than an aisle, but I can't imagine any court ruling that difference substantial. For her to have been defrauded, she would have had to be moved to a row with less legroom and DL would have had to refuse to refund the $30. That does not appear to be the case here.

Now, some of us do have certain motion sensitivities that are amplified based on where we're sitting on an aircraft. For me, it's much better to sit in an aisle rather than a window. If she has a specific reason such as that for requesting an aisle over a window, then she should have brought that up with the flight crew. She hasn't mentioned anything so far, so I assume that's not an issue in this particular circumstance. Sometimes they can't accommodate. I've had to deal with being moved from aisle to window. It wasn't fun, but I dealt with it and moved on with my life.

Personally, I think people are crazy to pay extra for a seat assignment unless they receive extra legroom. The whole idea of "preferred seats" that are only "preferred" because I get off an aircraft a few minutes sooner than those farther back is stupid, but people are dumb enough to pay those fees, so the airlines are cashing in.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:12 pm

D L X wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

You paid for being able to choose a certain seat. Not a class or a particular section. And I am anal retentive when somebody tries to swindle you out of your money, with offering something, letting you pay and than wriggles out of providing it. And it makes no difference if it is 5 $ or 1,000.



Can you point to the place in the contract of carriage that says that?

Coulter paid $30 for something and got $30 worth of something extremely similar. The ONLY reasons she is complaining is because an "immigrant" has the seat she wanted (though she apparently ended up in a seat she had earlier chosen) and because bitch and moan is what she does. Again, if you cannot recognize this as her m.o., you haven't been paying attention to her over the years. You've been taken for fools.


People keep making this about Ann Coulter, which is fine, but a lot of us are putting ourselves in her shoes and looking at it through that prism and not the I-Hate-Ann-Coulter prism. Tear her apart - i couldn't care less - but at least acknowledge that some people care about where they sit, take the time to find the flight and seating option they want (as offered by the airline), perhaps pay extra for that option, and don't want to see it just casually brushed aside for no apparent reason.

I get the FAs are busy, and that gate agents are overwhelmed, and that people are too caught up in the little things, but it's a business, I'm the customer, I did my part, and I just want that to be respected.
-Dave
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:19 pm

ual763 wrote:
I suppose some of you will blast the source of this video, but anyways, here is a better explanation at least from her side of what happened.

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos ... 153286336/


Well, it added more details about it, but at the same time, it really does scream FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS. lol
-Dave
 
blockski
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:35 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
D L X wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

You paid for being able to choose a certain seat. Not a class or a particular section. And I am anal retentive when somebody tries to swindle you out of your money, with offering something, letting you pay and than wriggles out of providing it. And it makes no difference if it is 5 $ or 1,000.



Can you point to the place in the contract of carriage that says that?

Coulter paid $30 for something and got $30 worth of something extremely similar. The ONLY reasons she is complaining is because an "immigrant" has the seat she wanted (though she apparently ended up in a seat she had earlier chosen) and because bitch and moan is what she does. Again, if you cannot recognize this as her m.o., you haven't been paying attention to her over the years. You've been taken for fools.


People keep making this about Ann Coulter, which is fine, but a lot of us are putting ourselves in her shoes and looking at it through that prism and not the I-Hate-Ann-Coulter prism. Tear her apart - i couldn't care less - but at least acknowledge that some people care about where they sit, take the time to find the flight and seating option they want (as offered by the airline), perhaps pay extra for that option, and don't want to see it just casually brushed aside for no apparent reason.

I get the FAs are busy, and that gate agents are overwhelmed, and that people are too caught up in the little things, but it's a business, I'm the customer, I did my part, and I just want that to be respected.


Delta screwed up, they admitted as such, and refunded Coulter's $30.

None of that justifies the level of vitriol from Coulter - particularly the stuff directed at the other passengers who had no fault here at all. Ann Coulter made this about Ann Coulter.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5673
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:42 pm

OA412 wrote:
I agree with those who say you can't divorce the person from the event. I don't care where you lean politically. I don't care if you're left, right, or sideways, if you're a professional provocateur, then people are going to question your motives. Ms. Coulter is such a person, and her decision to, let's be honest, blow this even way out of proportion is in keeping with the professional image she's cultivated over the last two-plus decades.

mjoelnir wrote:
D L X wrote:


Can you point to the place in the contract of carriage that says that?

Coulter paid $30 for something and got $30 worth of something extremely similar. The ONLY reasons she is complaining is because an "immigrant" has the seat she wanted (though she apparently ended up in a seat she had earlier chosen) and because bitch and moan is what she does. Again, if you cannot recognize this as her m.o., you haven't been paying attention to her over the years. You've been taken for fools.


If you pay extra for being able to choose your seat, the offer to choose your seat is made by the airline, you accept that offer and pay. If you pay 30 USD for being able to choose your seat and you are moved by the airline, without the airline returning your money, the airline defrauded you of 30 USD.

If the airline is nickel and diming for "extras", than they should deliver extras or repay.


Except it didn't defraud her. She received a seat "substantially similar" to the one she'd reserved and paid for. She wasn't even moved to a different row. Rather than 15D, which is an aisle, she was seated in 15A, which is a window. She still received the same type of seat, same exit row, same everything. The only difference was that she ended up with a window, rather than an aisle, but I can't imagine any court ruling that difference substantial. For her to have been defrauded, she would have had to be moved to a row with less legroom and DL would have had to refuse to refund the $30. That does not appear to be the case here.

Now, some of us do have certain motion sensitivities that are amplified based on where we're sitting on an aircraft. For me, it's much better to sit in an aisle rather than a window. If she has a specific reason such as that for requesting an aisle over a window, then she should have brought that up with the flight crew. She hasn't mentioned anything so far, so I assume that's not an issue in this particular circumstance. Sometimes they can't accommodate. I've had to deal with being moved from aisle to window. It wasn't fun, but I dealt with it and moved on with my life.

Personally, I think people are crazy to pay extra for a seat assignment unless they receive extra legroom. The whole idea of "preferred seats" that are only "preferred" because I get off an aircraft a few minutes sooner than those farther back is stupid, but people are dumb enough to pay those fees, so the airlines are cashing in.


They defrauded her, they admitted it and payed her the 30 USD back. If the airline offer the possibility of choosing a seat for a fee, a similar seat is NOT what they offered and got payed for.
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:27 pm

OA412 wrote:
Except it didn't defraud her. She received a seat "substantially similar" to the one she'd reserved and paid for. She wasn't even moved to a different row. Rather than 15D, which is an aisle, she was seated in 15A, which is a window. She still received the same type of seat, same exit row, same everything. The only difference was that she ended up with a window, rather than an aisle, but I can't imagine any court ruling that difference substantial. For her to have been defrauded, she would have had to be moved to a row with less legroom and DL would have had to refuse to refund the $30. That does not appear to be the case here.


Yes they did, and it's sad to see you and others defend fraudulent business practices. No wonder the airlines are viewed so negatively by the average traveler. Sometimes they are crooks. I don't expect the airlines to turn a rough experience into a glamourous one, but at the very least they can treat customers with respect.

When the airline offers to make a seat assignment, there's no warning that says you are only guaranteed to be seated in a seat - determined by the airline alone - viewed as "substantially similar". I for one, don't view a window seat and aisle seat the same. One is considerably more valuable to me (in my case the window, the opposite of Coulter's preference). Once you've selected a seat, there shouldn't be any movement out of that seat except for unforeseen operational necessities or voluntary switches. $30 should have been the bare minimum in compensation. I'm not surprised that DL failed to go beyond that for their customer.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:52 pm

blockski wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
D L X wrote:


Can you point to the place in the contract of carriage that says that?

Coulter paid $30 for something and got $30 worth of something extremely similar. The ONLY reasons she is complaining is because an "immigrant" has the seat she wanted (though she apparently ended up in a seat she had earlier chosen) and because bitch and moan is what she does. Again, if you cannot recognize this as her m.o., you haven't been paying attention to her over the years. You've been taken for fools.


People keep making this about Ann Coulter, which is fine, but a lot of us are putting ourselves in her shoes and looking at it through that prism and not the I-Hate-Ann-Coulter prism. Tear her apart - i couldn't care less - but at least acknowledge that some people care about where they sit, take the time to find the flight and seating option they want (as offered by the airline), perhaps pay extra for that option, and don't want to see it just casually brushed aside for no apparent reason.

I get the FAs are busy, and that gate agents are overwhelmed, and that people are too caught up in the little things, but it's a business, I'm the customer, I did my part, and I just want that to be respected.


Delta screwed up, they admitted as such, and refunded Coulter's $30.

None of that justifies the level of vitriol from Coulter - particularly the stuff directed at the other passengers who had no fault here at all. Ann Coulter made this about Ann Coulter.


I get it - people are pissed at her. Have you even once seen me defend her behavior? I said it's abhorrent. I'm guessing from your response, you're missing my point.
-Dave
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm

OA412 wrote:
I agree with those who say you can't divorce the person from the event. I don't care where you lean politically. I don't care if you're left, right, or sideways, if you're a professional provocateur, then people are going to question your motives. Ms. Coulter is such a person, and her decision to, let's be honest, blow this even way out of proportion is in keeping with the professional image she's cultivated over the last two-plus decades. .


While you are 100% true because airline employees been thumbing their nose at passengers for last 16 years in the name of security, no normal person can reason with them, only someone famous, slightly off or belong to a privileged class can do it.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7186
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm

If you watch her interview in the listed link, she explains that the $30 was never her concern. She was very specific about the window seat not being as roomy as the aisle seat. Again, first world problems, but the $30 wasn't her issue.
-Dave
 
User avatar
OA412
Crew
Posts: 4144
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
hey defrauded her, they admitted it and payed her the 30 USD back. If the airline offer the possibility of choosing a seat for a fee, a similar seat is NOT what they offered and got payed for.
MSPNWA wrote:
Yes they did, and it's sad to see you and others defend fraudulent business practices. No wonder the airlines are viewed so negatively by the average traveler. Sometimes they are crooks. I don't expect the airlines to turn a rough experience into a glamourous one, but at the very least they can treat customers with respect.

de·fraud
dəˈfrôd
verb
illegally obtain money from (someone) by deception.
"he used a false identity to defraud the bank of thousands of dollars"
synonyms: swindle, cheat, rob, embezzle; More

Seriously, how does DL refunding her $30 dollars qualify as them defrauding her? If we're going to throw words around, we should ensure we're using them correctly. This is not a case of fraud. Period.
MSPNWA wrote:
I'm not surprised that DL failed to go beyond that for their customer.

Right and American or United would have? NONE of the big three cares about going above and beyond for their customer. NONE.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
D L X
Posts: 11895
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

They defrauded her, they admitted it and payed her the 30 USD back. If the airline offer the possibility of choosing a seat for a fee, a similar seat is NOT what they offered and got payed for.


DEFRAUDED?! You're exaggerating almost as much as Coulter here.

I'm not sure you realize it, but they refunded her the $30. (Even though they assigned her to a $30 seat, which she then got for free.) Once they refunded her, she was made whole. What exactly is it that you want Delta to do for her now?




Also, it seems very apparent that most of you have not looked at the Contract of Carriage.

RULE 240: FLIGHT DELAYS/CANCELLATIONS
A. Flight Schedules are Not Guaranteed
Delta will exercise reasonable efforts to carry passengers and their baggage according to
Delta’s published schedules and the schedule reflected on the passenger’s ticket, but
published schedules, flight times, aircraft type, seat assignments, and similar details
reflected in the ticket or Delta’s published schedules are not guaranteed and form no part of
this contract. . Delta may substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, delay or cancel flights,
change seat assignments, and alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket at any time.
Schedules are subject to change without notice.
 
YouGeeElWhy
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Why is this dumpster fire of a thread still open?
 
User avatar
TVNWZ
Posts: 1880
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Why is this dumpster fire of a thread still open?


Because it's entertaining!
 
D L X
Posts: 11895
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Why is this dumpster fire of a thread still open?


Because it's entertaining!

^^^


This. :)
 
User avatar
OA412
Crew
Posts: 4144
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 pm

D L X wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:
Why is this dumpster fire of a thread still open?


Because it's entertaining!

^^^


This. :)

Indeed, overall I don't see any major issue with the thread that requires locking it.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
32andBelow
Posts: 3032
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Ann Coulter is trash. Delta should black list her.
 
alfa164
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
If you watch her interview in the listed link, she explains that the $30 was never her concern. She was very specific about the window seat not being as roomy as the aisle seat. Again, first world problems, but the $30 wasn't her issue.

Since when is a window seat "not as roomy" as an aisle seat - in the same section, in the same row? From what I read earlier, she had first selected (I wonder how many hours she took to do that?) a window seat, the subsequently changed it. Perhaps she has some bi-polar condition... she can't make up her mind... ;)

Now she is grasping at straws.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:39 pm

US3 should care about this issue because when passengers realize paid advanced seat selection has no value, they will stop paying and US3 will lose several $$$Millions.

Cannot sell snake oil for too long.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5673
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Delta moves seat of Ann Coulter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 pm

D L X wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

They defrauded her, they admitted it and payed her the 30 USD back. If the airline offer the possibility of choosing a seat for a fee, a similar seat is NOT what they offered and got payed for.


DEFRAUDED?! You're exaggerating almost as much as Coulter here.

I'm not sure you realize it, but they refunded her the $30. (Even though they assigned her to a $30 seat, which she then got for free.) Once they refunded her, she was made whole. What exactly is it that you want Delta to do for her now?




Also, it seems very apparent that most of you have not looked at the Contract of Carriage.

RULE 240: FLIGHT DELAYS/CANCELLATIONS
A. Flight Schedules are Not Guaranteed
Delta will exercise reasonable efforts to carry passengers and their baggage according to
Delta’s published schedules and the schedule reflected on the passenger’s ticket, but
published schedules, flight times, aircraft type, seat assignments, and similar details
reflected in the ticket or Delta’s published schedules are not guaranteed and form no part of
this contract. . Delta may substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, delay or cancel flights,
change seat assignments, and alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket at any time.
Schedules are subject to change without notice.


Did Delta exercise reasonable efforts? It seems you all completely ignore that part and only read the rest. And where is the quote that Delta has not to refund for not provided service?

Paying up when one is called out is your idea of a trustworthy business? When you do not provide a service you refund without being asked. How many forget or do not know about their rights, or the process takes that much time that one gives up and the airline keeps the money, nice extra business called fraud by me.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos