flashmeister

SkyWest To Fly For US Airways?

Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:02 am

I'm not sure that this has been discussed yet... I tried to search for it and didn't come up with anything.

In today's PlaneBusiness Banter, there's a mention of a deal pending to have SkyWest RJs do US Airways flying with some sort of fence in place and some involvement of US Airways pilots in the new flying.

There was a letter circulated to SkyWest pilots, but little further detail.

Does anyone here know more about this? I can't seem to find anything on it...

sfointern

RE: SkyWest To Fly For US Airways?

Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:13 am

All this SkyWest employee can say is that "SkyWest, like all major airlines, is always negotiating with potential partners to capitalize on synergies and the revenue environment"... or something like that.

:D

Pilot issues (on the SkyWest side as well) are the biggest issue... Stay tuned!

flashmeister

Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:24 am

Awww.... come on now... don't hold out on us  Smile

(kidding, I understand, but you are now on the hook to keep us up to date with semi-public news )

sfointern

Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:38 am

Rest assured, Flashmeister. Big grin

If anything, SkyWest wants to remain strictly independent, with its own policies that its been using for 30 years, as it expands even further.

Kohflot

Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:41 am

Where is SkyWest going to get the RJs to paint in US Airways colors?

Hmmm.. bye bye United?
Ask why..

sfointern

Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:48 am

SkyWest is committed to United.

The SFO station is the jewel of achievement in the OO system.

searpqx

Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:29 am

SkyWest is committed to United
While that is true for certain markets, I don't think it in any way limits their opportunity or desire to expand through additional agreements with other carriers. Remember, it was only a few years ago that OO was 'committed' solely to DL. Carriers like SkyWest, Mesa and to some extent American Eagle, have shown that its possible, and profitable, to serve multiple masters.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

OH-LGA

Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:39 am

Searpqx: Absolutely.

To work at SkyWest you cannot have the mentality of being just a United Express carrier or just a Delta Connection carrier. We are both, and some people I know tend to forget that point.

It's very cool, and there's been major expansion as of late on both sides of the operation, DLC expanding out of DFW and UAX expanding out of DEN, in addition to more capacity/new routes being added out of SFO & LAX.

We are, without a doubt, committed to both carriers, and should another opportunity arise, we will see if it is worth it. The people at OO Corporate all have good heads on their shoulders, and I couldn't be more proud of my management, no matter the decisions they make.

I fly for free on US Airways already (as per local station agreement), so that wouldn't change anything...  Big grin but it'd be one more airline to represent proudly.  Smile

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

Kohflot

Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:00 am

Ok.. being committed to both Delta and United is great.. but again, where are the RJs going to come from? If they divert future deliveries to USX, that means either the UAX or DLC would see a significant slowdown in growth.. there are only so many aircraft on order.
Ask why..

sfointern

Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:17 am

Of course SkyWest isn't only committed to United.

SkyWest is commited to its partners, meaning it will not "ditch" one in favor of another without consent... SkyWest is about cooperation and teamwork.

Kohflot, I don't think you'll see CRJs come from the UA and DL side... AFAIK the talks are very preliminary, and any potential US aircraft I think would mean more orders.

Of course, there's the whole UAL scope...

Av8trxx

Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:59 am

The rumor mill churns at FlightInfo:

"The deal that we are hearing is that 50% of the crews will come from USAir pilots that are on furlough. The other 50% will be growth for SkyWest. Next Thurs our chief pilot is coming to SLC for a meeting about this. I will keep you posted. Don't know any number of RJs or bases or destinations..."

"The only part of this that makes sense is that Skywest has the financial moxie to swing the deal and Delta Connection has 104 aircraft on firm order and 396 options that they can not accept due to ALPA's restrictions. Those aircraft have got to go somewhere... "

"this whole USAir/Skywest deal is bad news for Skywest. most of the pilots here at Skywest feel the same way (for the information we have so far). USAir tried to get the same deal with their wholly owned carrer's.... they said 'no', now they are trying to get their furloughed pilots into what would be 'our' jet's. what makes them think we'll accept it over them? i get to work with so-called 'junior' pilots to me who will be holding captain on the jet and making more money than me for the same job. screw that s**t. in addition, they have recall rights at USAir. do you think they'll give two sh**t's flying for skywest. this whole deal is just a bailout for USAir mainline.... and skywest is holding the bucket."

Kohflot

Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:43 am

If that's the deal - US pilots flying SkyWest equipment - you can bet your bottom dollar that SkyWest pilots are going to vote in a union pretty quick..

The other problem for SkyWest is getting itself aligned with an airline in a precarious financial position. If they paint 35 of those 104 firms in US colors, what happens if/when US goes belly up?

This sounds like a bad deal for SkyWest in the making.. if I were one of you employees, I'd try to get as much information as possible about it before accepting it hook, line, and sinker.
Ask why..

usairways85

Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:49 am

but how would skywest be any use to usairways. usairways main airports are all along the east coast, and skywest flies mainly around the western half of the country. so how would skywest flights help provide connections for mainline usairways flights.

CRJCA

USAirways

Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:04 pm

It has nothing to do with geographical location. It has to do with scope and getting aircraft on the property for both Skywest and USAirways. Skywest is running into scope issues with United and Delta so they fear for the future of their RJ deliveries. USAirways needs RJ's to stop the bleeding so there you go.

usairways85

Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:11 pm

i guess i am not understanding it real well. but if skywest was to start operating for usairways they would add new routes throughout the usairways system. so regardless that current skywest routes are in the west, they would add a number of routes out of phl or pit in the east.