Topic Author

UA announces start of PAE-SFO and PAE-DEN

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Looks like AS won't be the only one with service up north in Everett

http://www.king5.com/news/local/united- ... /463314822

DaufuskieGuy

Re: UA announces start of PAE-SFO and PAE-DEN

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:22 pm

wow the traffic on I 5 must be worse than I thought. presumably this this will be RJ service?

jetmatt777
Crew

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:52 pm

No schedules yet but I would assume 2x daily DEN on E175 and 4 daily SFO on E175 or CRJ7.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

SeaDoo

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:52 pm

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/united-ai ... ng-alaska/

Above is the local paper's article. Exciting options for Snohomish County and beyond.

United announcing flights to SFO seems like a good move against Alaska to possibly prevent them from choosing SFO which should be growing in importance for them with the acquisition of Virgin America.
Last edited by SeaDoo on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simpv

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Do we know if there are subsidies associated with starting these new routes?

SeaDoo

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:06 pm

simpv wrote:

I am not aware of there being subsidies for any flights at PAE.

nadavatar64

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Wow I did not expect this! Epic move by UA!

clrd4t8koff

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 pm

I recently had a chance last month to visit PAE and do the Boeing tour. I never saw any Alaska aircraft coming or departing in the three-four hours I was there. Furthermore, looking at this Google earth shot I can't even see what would be used as a commercial airline terminal. Where do AS and soon to be UA park their aircraft for passenger services?

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... oioIhAEwCg

SeaDoo

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:19 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
I recently had a chance last month to visit PAE and do the Boeing tour. I never saw any Alaska aircraft coming or departing in the three-four hours I was there. Furthermore, looking at this Google earth shot I can't even see what would be used as a commercial airline terminal. Where do AS and soon to be UA park their aircraft for passenger services?

No service has begun yet. Alaska doesn't currently serve PAE. There will be a two gate terminal built on the airport grounds.

Polot

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:22 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

PAE service on AS hasn't started yet. Construction is underway on a terminal to open Fall 2018:

https://snohomishcountywa.gov/3651/Prop ... aine-Field
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/bo ... on-begins/

jetblastdubai

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:25 pm

nadavatar64 wrote:
Wow I did not expect this! Epic move by UA!

I doubt that UA was going to cede any market out of SFO to anyone...assuming that AS had planned on making SFO one of their markets out of PAE when they initiate service. Having only 2 gates in the planned terminal should provide a natural barrier to any substantial adds by other competitors.

Could DPA be on UA's radar for this type of alternative service as well?
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

frmrCapCadet

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/bo ... ine-field/

Here is the Seattle Times article. This should not be considered unexpected once Alaska announced service. My suspicions are that all the major airlines are going to want a presence in Everett. Expect upwards of a dozen or two flights per each of the majors. Traffic congestion will be relieved in another ten years by the light rail system, but keep in mind that there will not be an express system. Every train is a local.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
wow the traffic on I 5 must be worse than I thought. presumably this this will be RJ service?

We'll see what the willingness of PAE patrons is to suffer higher fares (RJ are high-CASM planes), lower frequencies, and fewer destinations as the trade-offs for avoiding I-5 through Seattle.

SeaDoo

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/united-airlines-will-offer-flights-from-everetts-paine-field/

Here is the Seattle Times article. This should not be considered unexpected once Alaska announced service. My suspicions are that all the major airlines are going to want a presence in Everett. Expect upwards of a dozen or two flights per each of the majors. Traffic congestion will be relieved in another ten years by the light rail system, but keep in mind that there will not be an express system. Every train is a local.

I would expect the opposite. I think traffic congestion will be worse in 10 years.

commavia

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:17 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
My suspicions are that all the major airlines are going to want a presence in Everett. Expect upwards of a dozen or two flights per each of the majors. Traffic congestion will be relieved in another ten years by the light rail system, but keep in mind that there will not be an express system. Every train is a local.

MIflyer12 wrote:
We'll see what the willingness of PAE patrons is to suffer higher fares (RJ are high-CASM planes), lower frequencies, and fewer destinations as the trade-offs for avoiding I-5 through Seattle.

Yep. I don't question that there will be some segment of the local population willing to pay the premium to fly out of PAE, but "a dozen or two flights per each of the majors" (which I assume means AA, Delta, Southwest and United plus Alaska)? I highly, highly doubt that.

dc10lover

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Surprised Delta wasn't the second airline calling to serve Paine Field.
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

SeaDoo

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:22 pm

dc10lover wrote:

That would have been my guess too. I wouldn't have been shocked had it been WN or HA. I also woudln't be shocked if WN or HA never fly here. I could see a case for each airline. Years ago WN proposed moving all their operations to Boeing Field. I realize Boeing Field is closer to downtown Seattle vs Paine Field which isn't even in the same county. I would think Boeing Field is a littler closer to the idea of operating out of DAL, vs what PAE is to SEA. I think AS has a loyal following in Western Washington. Would HA try to crack into that a little with a flight to PAE, perhaps from OGG?

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:22 pm

dc10lover wrote:

It would cannibalize a hub they want to grow, and they do not have another hub very close.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

717atOGG

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:23 pm

May I suggest that this would be moved to the Washington state air service discussion, located here. I'm going to let the mods have the last word on this, just throwing it out.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1369725&p=19736177#p19736177
SEA, BWI, HNL, OGG, PHX, IAD, LIH; 717, 73G, 738, 739, A332; AS, HA, WN, UA

commavia

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 pm

dc10lover wrote:

My guess is that Delta may be less enthusiastic about PAE given that, I suspect, the economics of its operations at SEA are more dependent on connections and thus more vulnerable to being undermined if incremental O&D traffic is pulled away to other regional airports.

smithbs

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm

I think there is definitely a market for some commercial air out of PAE. I for one am excited about the opportunity, even if there is a slight premium. I would sooner fly out of PAE if there is an opportunity, rather than trudge down to SEA on I-405. For the record, I am in east Snohomish county.

However, I wouldn't get overly ambitious - it will probably always be an RJ airport going to the basic West Coast-ish destinations. And that is fine for me. Bonus would be AS to Hawaii, but that call is for AS to make and I wouldn't fault them for keeping that at SEA.

rwsea

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:35 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Perhaps you should read the article....

rwsea

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:40 pm

smithbs wrote:
I think there is definitely a market for some commercial air out of PAE. I for one am excited about the opportunity, even if there is a slight premium. I would sooner fly out of PAE if there is an opportunity, rather than trudge down to SEA on I-405. For the record, I am in east Snohomish county.

However, I wouldn't get overly ambitious - it will probably always be an RJ airport going to the basic West Coast-ish destinations. And that is fine for me. Bonus would be AS to Hawaii, but that call is for AS to make and I wouldn't fault them for keeping that at SEA.

That's exactly the market it will serve. PAE will be able to support high O&D routes like Bay Area, Southern California, PDX, GEG... maybe ORD/Hawaii. For visitors to the area, the majority of business travellers, and the majority of the population, SEA will still be preferred. It's closer to downtown and has better transportation options. It's a large international hub with flights to all the important markets. PAE provides a nice option for local O&D in the north end that is headed to the most popular destinations.

berari

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Everett can be a good alternative to Seattle Airport for many living in the area. As an example, with Microsoft being headquartered in Redmond WA, which is right in the middle between SEA and PAE, one could make a good argument to fly out of PAE complete with less traffic up the quieter side of I405, small airport feel, and ease of transfer from parking to terminal. If you have driven from the north of Seattle into SEA, you will know that you're going right through downtown Seattle to get to the airport - this stretch always seems to take forever.

I'm surprised that this has not happened sooner.

SeaDoo

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:46 pm

717atOGG wrote:
May I suggest that this would be moved to the Washington state air service discussion, located here. I'm going to let the mods have the last word on this, just throwing it out.

Thanks for starting that discussion, however, I would respectfully say this is most appropriately discussed under its own thread.

ssteve

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:46 pm

commavia wrote:
I don't question that there will be some segment of the local population willing to pay the premium to fly out of PAE

The smart ones will factor in the cost of parking, and if PAE is smart, they'll keep parking costs low. I never thought Seatac was that tough to get to but it sucked parking off airport. Off airport in Burien, at that, to avoid the city of Seatac's ridiculous parking taxes.

But also think of the simpler checkin and TSA screening... can probably park and be at the gate at PAE in 35 minutes versus 75 at Seatac. Those sorts of conveniences add up, especially if you are connecting to a hub without frequent weather backups.

jetmatt777
Crew

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:51 pm

717atOGG wrote:

Then people who follow Denver, San Francisco, or broad United strategy would miss the discussion.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

717atOGG

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:54 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

Then people who follow Denver, San Francisco, or broad United strategy would miss the discussion.

Ok.
SEA, BWI, HNL, OGG, PHX, IAD, LIH; 717, 73G, 738, 739, A332; AS, HA, WN, UA

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:01 pm

rwsea wrote:
PAE will be able to support high O&D routes like Bay Area, Southern California, PDX, GEG... maybe ORD/Hawaii.

SEA-PDX/GEG/SJC/SFO/LAX/SNA/SAN are all relatively high frequency routes for AS, it would seem to support same-day business trips (important to drive up avg fare paid) as well as simple passenger volume. How many of those destinations is AS going to be able to serve 7x or more from PAE? Not too many, IMHO.

dc10lover

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:16 pm

With only 2 Gates, how large will the boarding areas be? If Airbus / Boeing aircraft will be used, then the area has to be large.

Rdh3e

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
SEA-PDX/GEG/SJC/SFO/LAX/SNA/SAN are all relatively high frequency routes for AS, it would seem to support same-day business trips (important to drive up avg fare paid) as well as simple passenger volume. How many of those destinations is AS going to be able to serve 7x or more from PAE? Not too many, IMHO.

Doesn't need to be 7X to be convenient. They could cherry pick the prime channels with 4X and still have solid coverage.

flyfresno

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:21 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
No schedules yet but I would assume 2x daily DEN on E175 and 4 daily SFO on E175 or CRJ7.

That's what it *should* be, but I wouldn't put it past UA to use a CRJ-200 on at least some of those flights.

dc10lover

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Oh, and in a way I have too laugh. Not too many airports are already filled to capacity even before it opens. (Expected). And I expect Southwest to come in and only add flights to California - not eastbound. This will help Southwest build their West Coast Service.

747megatop

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:28 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:

Traffic on I-405 and I-5 is BAAAD in both Seattle and LA. Can't escape it.

ACCS300

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 pm

I see PAE becoming much the same as Abbotsford ( YXX ) is to YVR. The Fraser Valley, much like Snohomish country, is a tough commute, at the best of times to YVR. Hwy 1 like I-5 is challenging with the added struggle of negotiating HWY 17 to 91 then to YVR. Westjet and AC Rouge have had continued success, PAE likely will mirror the success of YXX.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

rwsea wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Perhaps you should re-read the article. Please show me where in there it says where the airline terminal is or where they park?

Don't be such a tool and try adding some actual value if you wish to comment on posts.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Polot wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

PAE service on AS hasn't started yet. Construction is underway on a terminal to open Fall 2018:

https://snohomishcountywa.gov/3651/Prop ... aine-Field
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/bo ... on-begins/

Interesting. In the article the OP posted it says "United Airlines is returning to Paine Field, in Everett," which indicates UA served PAE previously. If the terminal is just now being constructed where did their previous operations happen at PAE?

dc9northwest

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Perhaps you should read the article -- the terminal isn't yet. The planes don't park yet. Any further questions?

PS, what's a teightkoff?

rwsea

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
rwsea wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Perhaps you should re-read the article. Please show me where in there it says where the airline terminal is or where they park?

Don't be such a tool and try adding some actual value if you wish to comment on posts.

You made a point of saying that you never saw any AS aircraft in a 3-4 hour window and that you don't see a terminal on google maps. The article clearly states that the terminal is under construction and that commercial service won't start until 2018. Had you bothered to simply read the article, the answers to your questions would be obvious.

I knew A.net has been going downhill for years, but posts like this really illustrate how bad it's gotten...

SANFan

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:19 pm

What I'm wondering is what sort of control regarding the number of flights and airlines that can be offered at PAE?

We now have AS and UA, and 2 gates; what about AA, NK, WN, F9, G4, B6, etc.? Who determines the maximums and who decides when 'enough' airlines are planning on service?

From an article last May 17, the following facts were announced:
The new terminal will be relatively small, with just two airport gates. With typical turn times that means the peak capacity of the airport will be roughly 16 flights per day.
... Alaska said it plans to operate nine daily departures from the airport.

So 6 for UA, leaves, um, 1 unused departure...?

I just don't get who regulates these numbers? If more cx want in, does AS give up some of their flights? Or UA? Who tells NK and F9 that they can't fly in and out of PAE?

Perhaps AAG ought to release specific plans (routes, flight details) for their proposed service from the airport; maybe that would lock things in a bit?

bb

TransWorldOne

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Something tells me PAE is going to need a bigger terminal. Only two gates seems very, very conservative. With two gates, the terminal will be roughly the size of St. Louis area Mid America airport (BLV) but it is already forecasted to have several more flights.

Bobloblaw

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/united-airlines-will-offer-flights-from-everetts-paine-field/

I doubt that anyone will have 12-24 flights per day there. I dont see that yields will be very good

jetmatt777
Crew

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

I doubt that anyone will have 12-24 flights per day there. I dont see that yields will be very good

With the tight capacity and local pressure to not increase flights, I bet yields will be very good. What will lack is the volume.

OA940

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm

I hope there are more airlines like AA and DL starting service from PAE soon enough... And they're gonna need a larger terminal, like 5-10 gates large.
Last edited by OA940 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A350/CSeries = bae

iamlucky13

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Wow! I never expected United. It seemed to me like the Seattle area was pretty low on their radar, presumably because they did not want to bother going head to head against Delta.

But perhaps that's part of the reason for the Paine Field service, as a way to pull a little bit more traffic from Seatac to connections at UA hubs.

simpv wrote:

There's been no subsidies specifically for commercial service at Paine Field, and the airport itself isn't even committing funding to the project. All the risk is on the developer.

There have been subsidies for decades for general improvements to Paine Field, as with many other airports across the US.

The acceptance of those subsidies are part of what caused a collapse of the lawsuits by opponents of commercial service from PAE. A condition of the subsidies was that the airport has to accept reasonable proposals for commercial service.

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Traffic congestion will be relieved in another ten years by the light rail system, but keep in mind that there will not be an express system. Every train is a local.

More accurately, the worsening of traffic congestion will slow down in another 10 years (19 years to reach it's final terminus, short of downtown Everett), to a degree that depends on how many of those living in and traveling to locations in the narrow ribbon it serves actually use it.

MIflyer12 wrote:

Some of them will. I have family in one of the areas Alaska is expected to serve. I will definitely be comparison shopping.

Aside from up to an hour less time driving each way, even assuming no extra time spent at the airport, a week long trip to visit them potentially involves $150+ parking or $50+ each way for Uber.

These will not all be regional jet operations, and also keep in mind that stage-length adjusted CASM differences are smaller than systemwide average CASM differences.

Also, the best prices at SeaTac are usually the least favorable times to fly. While the destination airport also plays a role in flight times, the lack of congestion at Paine Field should somewhat mitigate the frequency disadvantage.

Paine Field does not have to be where I fly from every flight in order to be a viable airport. The currently planned flights amount to roughly 1-2% of SeaTac's passenger volume, from an airport that is closer than SeaTac to probably about 25% of those who fly through SeaTac.

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Are there any Boeing. Or prate contracts involved in this? Seems like a nice air bridge to contractors/clients in Asia.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa

tkoenig95

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 pm

This is a great opportunity for HA to plant their seed into mainland domestic operations! HAHA

frmrCapCadet

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 pm

From my days using Long Beach when it had only a little traffic, I would say that using small and minor airport is a real pleasure, so long as it is going where you want. Does anyone doubt that there will be half a dozen gates before long?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

iamlucky13

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:40 pm

For those getting unnecessarily testy discussing where the terminal will go, I created a composite graphic a while back using Google's aerial imagery and the drawings from one of the developer's permit applications. The exact building plans have changed a bit since then, but I believe the rough size and building layout are close.

I think I've got the everything scaled better than within 10%.

Get your bearing by looking up the airport in your favorite mapping service and finding the control tower. Note that I followed used the orientation from the engineering drawings, so north is off by about 45 degrees.

mtnwest1979

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:46 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
For those getting unnecessarily testy discussing where the terminal will go, I created a composite graphic a while back using Google's aerial imagery and the drawings from one of the developer's permit applications. The exact building plans have changed a bit since then, but I believe the rough size and building layout are close.

I think I've got the everything scaled better than within 10%.

Get your bearing by looking up the airport in your favorite mapping service and finding the control tower. Note that I followed used the orientation from the engineering drawings, so north is off by about 45 degrees.

lv
Nice except for jetways on wrong side. Like the airline depicted lol.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos