Lpbri
Topic Author
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Today AA announced the intro schedule for the 737 MAX. The first will arrive in late September and will first fly between MIA and LGA. Amazingly, the first service won't start until late November. They say the two months are for route proving and certification. I wonder what there is to prove and what certification is required. It's only a 737.
 
717atOGG
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Will these be based in MIA or will they rotate through the system like the 738? Also, what will they do with 100 of these? AA only has 50 MD-80 planes to replace that are left. Could these be used for future growth or to retire some early-build 737-800's?
SEA, BWI, HNL, OGG, PHX, IAD, LIH; 717, 73G, 738, 739, A332; AS, HA, WN, UA
 
alasizon
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 pm

717atOGG wrote:
Will these be based in MIA or will they rotate through the system like the 738? Also, what will they do with 100 of these? AA only has 50 MD-80 planes to replace that are left. Could these be used for future growth or to retire some early-build 737-800's?


The MD-80s are being replaced by current gen 321s and 738s for the most part. At least 50 of these will eventually replace the 320s that are still floating around.
Customer Operations Manager & Tower Planner
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 8839
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Lpbri wrote:
They say the two months are for route proving and certification.

Who is "they?"

The aircraft is already proven and certified for anything they might need. Other than an extended ETOPS allotment, not sure what else they would need to prove, or how they would therefore do so flying to LGA.

I'm betting this is more just internal protocol + crew familiarization.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 6830
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 pm

alasizon wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
Will these be based in MIA or will they rotate through the system like the 738? Also, what will they do with 100 of these? AA only has 50 MD-80 planes to replace that are left. Could these be used for future growth or to retire some early-build 737-800's?


The MD-80s are being replaced by current gen 321s and 738s for the most part. At least 50 of these will eventually replace the 320s that are still floating around.

738 and A321ceos deliveries are wrapping up this year, there are only a handful of each left to be delivered. AA's narrowbody intake (ignoring RJs) is soon going to be only 737 Maxes until early 2019 when A321neo deliveries start.
 
mmo
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:58 pm

The "they" which require the certification and proving runs are the FAA. When an airline receives a new aircraft type the FAA requires a whole series of things the airline must demonstrate. Even though the aircraft is certified, the fact is AA has not flown the MZX previously and must jump through all the hoops.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 6830
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm

mmo wrote:
The "they" which require the certification and proving runs are the FAA. When an airline receives a new aircraft type the FAA requires a whole series of things the airline must demonstrate. Even though the aircraft is certified, the fact is AA has not flown the MZX previously and must jump through all the hoops.

Yes, the FAA has just certified that the 737 Max is safe to fly. AA has to demonstrate that they can safely fly the 737 Max.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:32 pm

And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.
 
flymia
Posts: 6965
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Did AA scrap the small leg room in the MAX or is it still at 30 inches opposed to 31? If so, not really looking forward towards the MAX.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
mikeyp224
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm

jumbojet wrote:
And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.


The fact that AA has opted to not have seatback IFE installed on these new planes is well known and has been discussed ad nauseam. Could we please find another dead horse to beat??
 
ty97
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:48 pm

flymia wrote:
Did AA scrap the small leg room in the MAX or is it still at 30 inches opposed to 31? If so, not really looking forward towards the MAX.


172 seats with 30 inch pitch in Y that AA marketing claims 'feels like' 31 inch pitch.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 pm

mikeyp224 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.


The fact that AA has opted to not have seatback IFE installed on these new planes is well known and has been discussed ad nauseam. Could we please find another dead horse to beat??


I was hoping that maybe AA would come to the rational decision and reverse course on not installing the IFE similar to how they changed their minds with reducing seat pitch to some inhumane dimension. In fact, wasn't reducing the seat pitch happening, and then not happening on these new B737's?
 
flymia
Posts: 6965
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 pm

ty97 wrote:
flymia wrote:
Did AA scrap the small leg room in the MAX or is it still at 30 inches opposed to 31? If so, not really looking forward towards the MAX.


172 seats with 30 inch pitch in Y that AA marketing claims 'feels like' 31 inch pitch.


Yea. Just like Basic Economy (that is going network wide soon) gives us more options. All airlines are the same these days, other than B6. At least they have a bit of extra comfort and try to please the consumer.

Regarding the IFE, while I do highly prefer in-seat IFE its not a deal breaker. The streaming IFE has worked very well when I have done it, and I get how much easier the plane is to maintain and the weight savings. But in seat IFE is always preferred, much easier and more comfortable.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 1591
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:07 pm

717atOGG wrote:
Will these be based in MIA or will they rotate through the system like the 738? Also, what will they do with 100 of these? AA only has 50 MD-80 planes to replace that are left. Could these be used for future growth or to retire some early-build 737-800's?


They quite possibly could be based at LGA. LGA has a couple hangars and does a lot of 737 maintenance work so they could be limited to and from LGA to start out with.
 
Jo8338
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:27 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:19 am

Anyone know what registrations and tail numbers will be used? How many F Seats?
 
eastalt
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:04 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:15 am

jumbojet wrote:
And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.

Why would the lack of IFE on the new jets be a step in the wrong direction? IFE is not a benefit to the airlines bottom line. Most passengers travel with IPads and other devices to entertain themselves. Further, as an airline employee, I would rather airlines provide passengers with access to internet. Trust me, IFE is a bad decision. Its maintenance intensive and there is no return on the investment.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 973
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:27 am

I wonder if the MAX requires a type addition to AA's CFR 121 certificate or if it falls under the 738.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7166
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:51 am

jumbojet wrote:
And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.


Give it a rest. I flew DL LAX-SEA in April and the much-touted IFE was inoperable. Of course, expecting it, I packed my iPad in my overhead bag and had no way of getting to it as I was stuck in a window behind three fully reclined seats. Hell lotta good IFE did me. What should have been a positive ended up being the most dreary flight I'd had in a long time.

IFE is easier than dealing with your own device right up until it doesn't work. I like the WN streaming content - at least I know my iPad will work.
-Dave
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:55 am

I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.
 
Rookie87
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:16 am

Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.


If AA bothers you, wait till you get on UA, Spirit! And HEAVENS! Frontier.

Anyways, what do the proving runs usually entail?
And I wonder, why LGA-MIA?
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:26 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.


Give it a rest. I flew DL LAX-SEA in April and the much-touted IFE was inoperable. Of course, expecting it, I packed my iPad in my overhead bag and had no way of getting to it as I was stuck in a window behind three fully reclined seats. Hell lotta good IFE did me. What should have been a positive ended up being the most dreary flight I'd had in a long time.

IFE is easier than dealing with your own device right up until it doesn't work. I like the WN streaming content - at least I know my iPad will work.


A two hour flight with no IFE? Oh gosh that must have been dreadful, I'm glad you live to tell the story.
 
OB1504
Posts: 3164
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:58 am

ty97 wrote:
172 seats with 30 inch pitch in Y that AA marketing claims 'feels like' 31 inch pitch.


Except for the 3 lucky rows with 29" pitch that will feel like 30", I guess.

The A319s have 30" pitch and I honestly couldn't tell the difference flying on an A319 and 737 in the same day. The slimline seats do help.

Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.


AA is currently flying 93 A319s with 30" pitch and no IFE and I see no outrage.

You realize Frontier and Spirit cram them in at 28"?
 
sagechan
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:30 pm

OB1504 wrote:
ty97 wrote:
172 seats with 30 inch pitch in Y that AA marketing claims 'feels like' 31 inch pitch.


Except for the 3 lucky rows with 29" pitch that will feel like 30", I guess.

The A319s have 30" pitch and I honestly couldn't tell the difference flying on an A319 and 737 in the same day. The slimline seats do help.

Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.


AA is currently flying 93 A319s with 30" pitch and no IFE and I see no outrage.

You realize Frontier and Spirit cram them in at 28"?


They did away with the 3 rows of 29", all have at least 30". Im 6'2" & 280lbs, ive had no trouble in the 30" A319s. No IFE = no boxes underseat and streaming is better anyway.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 772, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH8, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY
 
CRJ900
Posts: 2079
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:48 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm

172 seats in a two-class legacy B737-800 fuselage is pretty efficient use of space. Only a few years ago 150-160 seats would have been maximum. Will AA use smart-flex concept with galley + one/two lavs on the aft wall or will they reduce First? Or both?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Maybe they wanna prove to the FAA that flying on them in Economy will be miserable. Seems to be a requirement these days.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
User avatar
Boeing778X
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
Anyone know what registrations and tail numbers will be used? How many F Seats?


There will be 16 F seats.

Tail and fleet numbers will just be a continuation of the current 737 trend.

https://m.planespotters.net/production- ... tus=future
Been On: 722 733 73G 738, 752, 763, 788, A319, A320, A321, E140, E145, E45X, E175, C208, Q400, CRJ7, CRJ9, MD82, MD83
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.


If AA bothers you, wait till you get on UA, Spirit! And HEAVENS! Frontier.

Anyways, what do the proving runs usually entail?
And I wonder, why LGA-MIA?


AA has 172 seats on their 738s; UA has 166 on theirs, IIRC. So why would UA be worse?

If you're talking about service, my last AA flight (2001) was so bad (screaming - yes, SCREAMING - flight attendants) that I've never gone back.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm

30" pitch and airlines scratch their heads wondering why so many air rage incidents are occurring. No IFE on these birds so when the next electronics ban hits, you'll be staring at the ceiling for a few hours or trying to read the worthless inflight mag that is mostly adds. I'm avoiding the MAX on AA!
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 748 752 753 762 763 772 77W DC9 MD80/88 DC10 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 CS300 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 1591
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
And I wonder, why LGA-MIA?


LGA does a lot of 737 maintenance and exclusively 737 maintenance. They do A and B checks. It might be good to have a focused team at LGA trained on the MAX and has spare part inventory. It can be helpful to keep things small and focused. MIA is also a big maintenance station for AA.

There are also a lot of daily flights between MIA and LGA and almost exclusively 737. Should be very easy to swap flights around unlike other hub to hub routes that have more fleet diversity.
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:33 pm

nine4nine wrote:
30" pitch and airlines scratch their heads wondering why so many air rage incidents are occurring. No IFE on these birds so when the next electronics ban hits, you'll be staring at the ceiling for a few hours or trying to read the worthless inflight mag that is mostly adds. I'm avoiding the MAX on AA!


Iv never heard of a ban on books, newspapers and magazines.....Reading is a lost art, explains why our society is in the dumps and people no longer have critical thinking skills.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:07 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
30" pitch and airlines scratch their heads wondering why so many air rage incidents are occurring. No IFE on these birds so when the next electronics ban hits, you'll be staring at the ceiling for a few hours or trying to read the worthless inflight mag that is mostly adds. I'm avoiding the MAX on AA!


Iv never heard of a ban on books, newspapers and magazines.....Reading is a lost art, explains why our society is in the dumps and people no longer have critical thinking skills.



I read documents all day for my career. Sometimes a soothing visual escape from reality where there are no text and no pages is nice. So while I agree with your point about less people embracing the lost art of reading, not all people would chose to do so in today's times.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 748 752 753 762 763 772 77W DC9 MD80/88 DC10 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 CS300 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120
 
AMollenhauer9
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:39 pm

I realize that it is the first route, but i'm somewhat surprised these aren't at ORD. I'm fairly certain ORD has the highest percentage of 737 ops of any of the major hubs.
 
Lemieux
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.

Lol it's not that serious, relax. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the MAX in AA's fleet, hope they utilize them a somewhat decent amount out of DFW though.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/738/752/753/762/763/77W, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Some people can't have a flight without IFE? Fair enough a 6 hour plus flight but 2 hours really. Try sleeping,reading or talk to someone.It isn't hard,would love to see you on flight from Scotland to the Canary Islands.
 
wn676
Posts: 1481
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives.


Parker and his family have traveled in coach quite often, even internationally.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
AA321T
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 pm

CRJ900 wrote:
172 seats in a two-class legacy B737-800 fuselage is pretty efficient use of space. Only a few years ago 150-160 seats would have been maximum. Will AA use smart-flex concept with galley + one/two lavs on the aft wall or will they reduce First? Or both?


Neither. The galleys are the same (besides switching to the Atlas standard) and the lav placement is the same. They are keeping F at 16 but are able to gain additional seats in Y by switching one Main Cabin Extra row to normal Main Cabin and by using new slimline seats.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 am

I wonder how far they'll ever fly with the extra range.

I've flown a lot with Southwest and didn't mind the lack of IFE to degrade my experience. In fact, on some of my most recent flights (ok just two of them that I remember!) I actually chat with the people next to me about just about anything. Somehow even one of the best airlines has the best people flying, at least on my experience.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 am

FlyHossD wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.


If AA bothers you, wait till you get on UA, Spirit! And HEAVENS! Frontier.

Anyways, what do the proving runs usually entail?
And I wonder, why LGA-MIA?


AA has 172 seats on their 738s; UA has 166 on theirs, IIRC. So why would UA be worse?

If you're talking about service, my last AA flight (2001) was so bad (screaming - yes, SCREAMING - flight attendants) that I've never gone back.

AA's service has increased dramatically from maybe a year after the merger on all my flights ( mostly CLT, MIA, and DFW flying). 16 years ago I can imagine it would be a lot different.
Polot wrote:
alasizon wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
Will these be based in MIA or will they rotate through the system like the 738? Also, what will they do with 100 of these? AA only has 50 MD-80 planes to replace that are left. Could these be used for future growth or to retire some early-build 737-800's?


The MD-80s are being replaced by current gen 321s and 738s for the most part. At least 50 of these will eventually replace the 320s that are still floating around.

738 and A321ceos deliveries are wrapping up this year, there are only a handful of each left to be delivered. AA's narrowbody intake (ignoring RJs) is soon going to be only 737 Maxes until early 2019 when A321neo deliveries start.

So does that mean L-US Hubs will get some? That'd be a nice change. I find the 320 (not the nice refurbished 319s, or the old mega-legroom 321s) to be the most tired and undesirable out of the Charlotte hub.
-Andrés Juánez
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:06 am

I'll take ANY LUS aircraft anyday over these 737-8 Max's.
 
User avatar
uberflieger
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 am

Lpbri wrote:
MIA and LGA

Since moving headquarters to Texas has there ever been a new fleet type certification away from DFW?

:airplane:
Angel Jacinto Noh Tun para Presidente
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUdQvNUpl4
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 7166
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:31 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.


Give it a rest. I flew DL LAX-SEA in April and the much-touted IFE was inoperable. Of course, expecting it, I packed my iPad in my overhead bag and had no way of getting to it as I was stuck in a window behind three fully reclined seats. Hell lotta good IFE did me. What should have been a positive ended up being the most dreary flight I'd had in a long time.

IFE is easier than dealing with your own device right up until it doesn't work. I like the WN streaming content - at least I know my iPad will work.


A two hour flight with no IFE? Oh gosh that must have been dreadful, I'm glad you live to tell the story.


I'm glad you agree then that IFE is not that important and that AA not having it is no big deal.
-Dave
 
questions
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:49 am

How are AA pilots type certified? Do/can B738 pilots fly A319/320/321?
 
twaconnie
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.


If AA bothers you, wait till you get on UA, Spirit! And HEAVENS! Frontier.

Anyways, what do the proving runs usually entail?
And I wonder, why LGA-MIA?


I never thought I would say this but train travel is looking better every day.
 
User avatar
hispanola
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Here in Europe, short-haul IFE is very uncommon. Fly EI, IB, BA, AF, SN... you won't have a screen in front of you. 3 hour flights without IFE aren't impossible to survive. People usually just read, sleep, look out the window, or talk to each other. Besides, since AA will have free streaming of entertainment, all you need is a smartphone to have your IFE. Seat-back screens take up space, add weight to the aircraft, and waste energy.

The seating arrangement does sound tight, but other airlines like I2 (Iberia Express) are much worse. 28 pitch in economy. Flying that DUB-MAD is painful.
From Co. Down living in PNA.
 
ckfred
Posts: 4891
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:17 pm

When AA started taking deliveries of new 738s, back in 2009 IIRC, the new planes were based at LAX. I seem to recall that the first two planes were doing LAX-ORD-MSP-ORD-LAX trips.

As for the IFE, as others have said, so many people now have devices for watching video and listening to music that some airlines feel that IFE, or at least seatback IFE, is no longer the necessity that it used to be.

But, it seems that airlines, such as AA, that don't install seatback entertainment, should at least devise some sort of slot in the seatback to hold an iPad mini/Amazon Kindle/Samsung Galaxy Tab/other tablet. If you're sitting in F, you can't put both the tablet and a meal on a tray table. Frankly, in Y, I don't want a cup of coffee or cold beverage on a tray table with a tablet. Between being in close quarters and turbulence, that is a good way to fry a tablet.

The one question I have is whether the the 737MAX will have audio in the armrest, or any ceiling screens for showing movies? If there are no screens whatsoever, then the FAs will have to do safety demonstrations, as they do on the MD-80s.
 
airlinereporter
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Also in the schedule for the MAX is DFW-ANC 2018 seasonal service. That's a 7 hour flight, currently served by the 757.
 
AA321T
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:47 pm

ckfred wrote:
The one question I have is whether the the 737MAX will have audio in the armrest, or any ceiling screens for showing movies? If there are no screens whatsoever, then the FAs will have to do safety demonstrations, as they do on the MD-80s.


No audio in the armrest and no ceiling screens. It has a system for pre-recorded announcements that will play at different stages of flight. Flight attendants will manually perform the demo to the pre-recorded announcement (same as many regionals).
 
flymia
Posts: 6965
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:07 pm

questions wrote:
How are AA pilots type certified? Do/can B738 pilots fly A319/320/321?


They don't fly different types. But a 738 pilot will be able to fly a 737Max upon difference training. The same way a 757 and 767 pilot can fly both planes and a A319/20/21 pilot can fly all the planes or a 744 and 748 pilot etc..

TheGeordielad wrote:
Some people can't have a flight without IFE? Fair enough a 6 hour plus flight but 2 hours really. Try sleeping,reading or talk to someone.It isn't hard,would love to see you on flight from Scotland to the Canary Islands.


You know the 738 and A319 does MIA-SEA right? That flight yesterday in the 738 was 6 hours and 21mins. Takes longer than it does to fly from NYC or Boston to London.

I highly prefer in seat IFE but I don't need it, I have magazines, books, Ipad etc.. But in seat IFE is just so much easier and comfortable.

I agree the seats should come with some type of slot to insert iphones ipads etc.. Or else, its pretty uncomfortable looking down if you want to watch the streaming IFE.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
N62NA
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:57 pm

twaconnie wrote:
I never thought I would say this but train travel is looking better every day.


About half my trips between Miami and NYC each year are on the overnight Amtrak Silver Meteor. The price for a roomette is about the same as an F ticket.

The train is relaxing, the food in the dining car is good - and included in the price - and the privacy is wonderful.
How come I can't upload an avatar photo to my profile?
 
OB1504
Posts: 3164
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 pm

AA321T wrote:
ckfred wrote:
The one question I have is whether the the 737MAX will have audio in the armrest, or any ceiling screens for showing movies? If there are no screens whatsoever, then the FAs will have to do safety demonstrations, as they do on the MD-80s.


No audio in the armrest and no ceiling screens. It has a system for pre-recorded announcements that will play at different stages of flight. Flight attendants will manually perform the demo to the pre-recorded announcement (same as many regionals).


When/where was this confirmed? I thought they just weren't going to do seatback TVs and that the IFE offerings would otherwise be the same as most of the current 737-800s.

I agree that IFE may not essential anymore, but to not put any IFE whatsoever in a brand new airplane makes me wonder if they're trying to be more like Spirit than Delta. How do they expect to command a revenue premium with a subpar hard product?

It's starting to sound like I can get the 737 MAX experience today by just flying in an LUS A319, with the bonus of having lavatories actually sized for adult human beings.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos