USAirKid
Topic Author
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:38 am

In the US, safety cards must have a statement of where the final assembly for the airplane occurred.

Thinking through the manufacturers only Airbus currently manufactures the same model airplane in multiple countries. (Yes, there were a few MD-80s and MD-90s in US airline fleets that were assembled in China, but they're not in production anymore.)

The only Airbus products US airlines currently fly the A320 Family, A330, and A350. It appears only the A320 family of airplane is produced in multiple countries, specifically Toulouse, France; Hamburg, Germany; Tianjin, China; and Mobile, Alabama, United States. From my understanding all of the deliveries from the Airbus's Chinese plant are delivered to Chinese airlines. All the planes from the US plant are delivered to US airlines. The plants France and Germany both deliver airplanes to US airlines as well as airlines in other countries.

Are airlines making the effort to ensure that the safety card's properly reflects the airplane's country of final assembly? How much of an operational pain is it?

I know Delta had specific color stripes on the front of the MD-90 safety cards: one for the US assembled aircraft, and one for the Chinese assembled aircraft. Do they do something similar for the A320 family?
 
paullam
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 am

I know that JetBlue writes it on their cards. A couple of months ago I flew SFO-BOS on on of their A321. The card said it was manufactured in Hamburg which I checked and it was true.
717 733 735 737 738 744 752 763 77E 77W 788 789 | 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | AT75 AT76 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C | E190 | F70 | RJ1H | SF34 | ASK21
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1001
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 am

USAirKid wrote:
Thinking through the manufacturers only Airbus currently manufactures the same model airplane in multiple countries. (Yes, there were a few MD-80s and MD-90s in US airline fleets that were assembled in China, but they're not in production anymore.)


The ERJ-145 was built both in Brazil and in China from 2003 to 2016. They still build the business jet variant in China.


USAirKid wrote:
From my understanding all of the deliveries from the Airbus's Chinese plant are delivered to Chinese airlines.


I think they delivered a few to other Asian airlines, but I may be wrong.


USAirKid wrote:
How much of an operational pain is it?


At my airline, each aircraft has a large package of safety cards lying in one of the overhead lockers. Restocking a plane with new safety cards should be a relatively easy task if they do it like that. It's not like they have to deliver one card here and 3 cards there across the entire fleet.
 
aviatorcraig
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 am

USAirKid wrote:
From my understanding all of the deliveries from the Airbus's Chinese plant are delivered to Chinese airlines.


They may of course be sold on to "second users" in the west, so I guess the safety card requirement would still apply.


USAirKid wrote:
How much of an operational pain is it?


There is way more airframe specific paperwork that an airline has to deal with on a daily basis than a bunch of safety cards!

Anyone know why this strange rule exists anyway?
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!
 
AirbusMDCFAN
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:51 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 pm

paullam wrote:
I know that JetBlue writes it on their cards. A couple of months ago I flew SFO-BOS on on of their A321. The card said it was manufactured in Hamburg which I checked and it was true.


There are a few 2 US built 321s in the B6 fleet. The updated A321 safety card has both the USA or Germany listed as the country of final assembly of the aircraft.

N965JT, and 1 other 9 either 7 or 8 registered A321 are Mobile built A321s
 
chepos
Posts: 6001
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 pm

At AA we have some A321's manufactured in Mobile. Those safety cards have a yellow stripe on them and state final assembly of the aircraft was completed in the USA.
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
USAirKid
Topic Author
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:46 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:

Anyone know why this strange rule exists anyway?


AFAIK, it was introduced by a Washington state legislator.. One of those small things that they did to "support" Boeing.
 
jonair8
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:10 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 pm

How is it that B6 can just keep one edition of the A321 safety card that says built in the USA or Germany on it and have it work for both planes? DL has to have the German and the American built A321 safety card editions separate
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 2513
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:05 pm

jonair8 wrote:
How is it that B6 can just keep one edition of the A321 safety card that says built in the USA or Germany on it and have it work for both planes? DL has to have the German and the American built A321 safety card editions separate


Different FSDO means different rules, in general.
From my cold, dead hands
 
thegoldenargosy
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Delta has some MD-90s that were made in China. The safety card on those planes says China.
 
catiii
Posts: 2621
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 pm

USAirKid wrote:

Are airlines making the effort to ensure that the safety card's properly reflects the airplane's country of final assembly?



Since they're required to do it, yes. Did you think for some reason they picked and chose which regs they want to follow and which ones they did not?
 
catiii
Posts: 2621
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:24 pm

jonair8 wrote:
How is it that B6 can just keep one edition of the A321 safety card that says built in the USA or Germany on it and have it work for both planes? DL has to have the German and the American built A321 safety card editions separate


It doesn't. Read up the thread.
 
nutsaboutplanes
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 pm

This comes up every now and again. It's not uncommon to have the aircraft cleaners make mistakes (cards are re-stocked during cabin cleaning). The cleaners throughout the system know to look out for this and do a pretty good job of catching and correcting mistakes.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR
 
User avatar
FredrikHAD
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:29 pm

USAirKid wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

Anyone know why this strange rule exists anyway?


AFAIK, it was introduced by a Washington state legislator.. One of those small things that they did to "support" Boeing.


So, another case of protectionism causing a lot of extra effort and added cost for the general public... Surely, this must be an FAA rule that applies only in the US, right? Even though I almost always read the safety card, despite knowing most of the ones I come across by heart, I've never seen anything about the country of final assembly in Europe.

/Fredrik
 
paullam
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:53 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
paullam wrote:
I know that JetBlue writes it on their cards. A couple of months ago I flew SFO-BOS on on of their A321. The card said it was manufactured in Hamburg which I checked and it was true.


There are a few 2 US built 321s in the B6 fleet. The updated A321 safety card has both the USA or Germany listed as the country of final assembly of the aircraft.

N965JT, and 1 other 9 either 7 or 8 registered A321 are Mobile built A321s


I've been on N968JT which has been assembled in Hamburg.
717 733 735 737 738 744 752 763 77E 77W 788 789 | 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | AT75 AT76 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C | E190 | F70 | RJ1H | SF34 | ASK21
 
coolian2
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:59 pm

FredrikHAD wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

Anyone know why this strange rule exists anyway?


AFAIK, it was introduced by a Washington state legislator.. One of those small things that they did to "support" Boeing.


So, another case of protectionism causing a lot of extra effort and added cost for the general public... Surely, this must be an FAA rule that applies only in the US, right? Even though I almost always read the safety card, despite knowing most of the ones I come across by heart, I've never seen anything about the country of final assembly in Europe.

/Fredrik


As I understand it started around the same time as "Freedom Fries". So make of that what you will.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:34 pm

As far as UA goes, I would think all of their A319s were made in Hamburg, and all the A320s were built in Toulouse. The Mobile plant only opened last year, and the China plant opened in 2008. UA is taking delivery of some used China Southern A319s, but I am pretty sure all of the frames they are taking were manufactured around 2006/2007.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
weekendppl
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:59 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Here's a blog post with some introductory history on this one: http://www.nycaviation.com/2017/05/faa-comply-president-trumps-executive-order-regulations/41662. Yup. From the clowns who brought us Freedom Fries. The Right Wingers never like a regulation unless it's one they invented.
 
USAirKid
Topic Author
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: US A320 Family Safety Card Country of Final Assembly

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:09 am

weekendppl wrote:
Here's a blog post with some introductory history on this one: http://www.nycaviation.com/2017/05/faa-comply-president-trumps-executive-order-regulations/41662. Yup. From the clowns who brought us Freedom Fries. The Right Wingers never like a regulation unless it's one they invented.



Woops! I was wrong. I guess WA's legislators didn't have much to do with this..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos