ro1960
Topic Author

German registration question

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:56 pm

I noticed that German registrations are still at the beginning of the alphabet (D-A***) whereas British are at G-E***, French at F-H***.

Is this a reflection of the low number of aircraft registered in Germany or are they using a different system?

DABYT

Re: German registration question

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:23 am

I don't know the british system but in Germany the second letter indicates the different aircraft registration classes by weight:

D-A... >20 tons
D-B... > 14 to 20 tons
D-C... > 5,7 to 14 tons
D-E... single engine aircraft < 2 tons
D-F... single engine aircraft 2 to 5,7 tons
D-G... multi engine < 2 tons
D-H... Rotorcraft/Helicopter
D-K... power glider
D-L... airship
D-O... balloon

The number of aircraft registered in Germany is published by the German Federal Aviation Authority (Luftfahrtbundesamt) every year. According to 2016 statistics there were 777 aircraft registered in the class >20 tons

More info here:
http://www.lba.de/DE/Presse/Statistiken/Statistik_Luftfahrzeuge.html?nn=701932

ro1960
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:55 am

Very interesting that they have different classes in the registration system. This explains the -A for most commercial aircraft. I think other countries just increment as they register new planes. -AAAA, -AAAB, etc. regardless of the tonnage.

Noshow

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 am

As an informal company style Lufthansa uses the third letter after D and A to show the aircraft manufacturer. B stands for Boeing and I for airbus (International) for example. Third letter M stands for "Megaliner" on Lufthansa A380s.
German airplanes must have their flag on the tail. If a company like Lufthansa for branding reasons wants to move the flag elsewhere it must have a special permit by the aviation authority LBA. LH has that permit.

Andy33

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 am

On the UK system commercial airlines can and do request specific registrations, so for example the new 788 which will be delivered to British Airways next month will carry G-ZBJI, and easyJet's next A320neo will be G-UZHC. As a result you can't take the fact that some other planes are getting registrations in G-E*** as showing how many registrations have been issued.

Pendennis

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 am

And remember that Germany reuses registrations, the UK and many others do not. I believe the charge made for an "out of sequence" registration is still quite nominal.

BartSimpson

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:58 am

Andy33 wrote:
...so for example the new 788 which will be delivered to British Airways next month will carry G-ZBJI, and easyJet's next A320neo will be G-UZHC...

I know that Virgin is quite playful with their names and registrations but I don't get the joke on these two regs. Or isn't there one at all?

ChrisKen

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:08 am

Pendennis wrote:
I believe the charge made for an "out of sequence" registration is still quite nominal.

£300 plus usual (£138) registration fee. Add another £150 to reserve the mark 6 mths prior to use and up to £250 for same day processing.

flyingphil

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 am

I have always wondered why german registered aircraft require a German flag on the tail?

Even a new airbus with a temporary german registration has to have a German flag.. I can't think of any other country that requires this..

Andy33

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
...so for example the new 788 which will be delivered to British Airways next month will carry G-ZBJI, and easyJet's next A320neo will be G-UZHC...

I know that Virgin is quite playful with their names and registrations but I don't get the joke on these two regs. Or isn't there one at all?

No joke at all. BA use the last three letters of the registration as their internal "fleet number" to identify individual aircraft, and their first concern is to avoid duplication. After that they go for blocks of registrations that help to indicate the type of aircraft, so 788s are G-ZBJ*, 789s are G-ZBK*, and 787-10s will be G-ZBL*. They have used a vaguely humorous theme in the past, where A380s are in the series G-XLE*, the XL being for eXtra Large.
easyJet just go for long alphabetic blocks of registrations, originally they used blocks beginning G-EZ**, but with the Neos they've opted for G-UZ** instead. They need long runs of registrations because of the fleet size - there are 158 planes on order at the moment! There is a slight connection between the actual letters used and the airline - their ICAO code is EZY, the IATA code is U2, both echoed in the series chosen.

777klm

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 am

flyingphil wrote:
I have always wondered why german registered aircraft require a German flag on the tail?

Even a new airbus with a temporary german registration has to have a German flag.. I can't think of any other country that requires this..

yeah, i notice that too. they often have two flags when the painting is (almost) completed but the aircraft is still in test phase: the german flag on the upper section of the tail and the customer origin flag on the usual spot.

also interesting: new boeing aircraft seem to get their new (and often foreign) registration right away.
Next flight: AMS - TLL - AMS

Noshow

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:20 am

I think in Germany you could opt for a European Union flag as well. Or even both at the same time.
Switzerland has a similar rule requiring the swiss cross on their tails.

TedToToe

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Noshow wrote:
Switzerland has a similar rule requiring the swiss cross on their tails.

With the exception of Liechtenstein which also uses the Swiss register!

ro1960
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Noshow wrote:
As an informal company style Lufthansa uses the third letter after D and A to show the aircraft manufacturer. B stands for Boeing and I for airbus (International) for example. Third letter M stands for "Megaliner" on Lufthansa A380s.

Thanks for the info, quite interesting.

ro1960
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Andy33 wrote:
No joke at all. BA use the last three letters of the registration as their internal "fleet number" to identify individual aircraft, and their first concern is to avoid duplication. After that they go for blocks of registrations that help to indicate the type of aircraft, so 788s are G-ZBJ*, 789s are G-ZBK*, and 787-10s will be G-ZBL*.

With this system they can only have 26 units of each type. How do they handle fleets over 26 units?

Andy33 wrote:
They have used a vaguely humorous theme in the past, where A380s are in the series G-XLE*, the XL being for eXtra Large.
easyJet just go for long alphabetic blocks of registrations, originally they used blocks beginning G-EZ**, but with the Neos they've opted for G-UZ** instead. They need long runs of registrations because of the fleet size - there are 158 planes on order at the moment! There is a slight connection between the actual letters used and the airline - their ICAO code is EZY, the IATA code is U2, both echoed in the series chosen.

Thanks, interesting info.

ro1960
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Pendennis wrote:
And remember that Germany reuses registrations, the UK and many others do not.

That's what I thought. I've been seeing those D-A*** for years. France seems to just go in incremental sequences and not reuse regs.

vhqpa

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:08 pm

ro1960 wrote:
With this system they can only have 26 units of each type. How do they handle fleets over 26 units?

25 actually. In the UK "Q" cannot be used. If they have more than 25 they usually start a new sequence. For instance on the 744 they started with BNLx then moved onto BYGx and CIVx.

BA is known for using cryptic three letter sequences that correspond to a particular type usually involving Roman numerals

Off the top of my head

BUSx - Early A320 from BCAL's original order
BNLx - 744 "Brand New Large aircraft"
BYGx - 744 Play on the word "Big"
CIVx - 744 "Civil Four" (Roman numerals)
ZZZx - 772 resembles "777"
VIIx - GE 77E seven in Roman numerals
YMMx - RR 77E "Year 2000"
STBx - 77W "STretched Boeing"
XLEx - A380 "eXtra Large"
GATx - A320 Gatwick based
EUxx - A32S "European fleet"

They even had a DC-10 registered G-DCIO but credit for that one goes to BCAL.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Andy33

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:10 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
No joke at all. BA use the last three letters of the registration as their internal "fleet number" to identify individual aircraft, and their first concern is to avoid duplication. After that they go for blocks of registrations that help to indicate the type of aircraft, so 788s are G-ZBJ*, 789s are G-ZBK*, and 787-10s will be G-ZBL*.

They use more than one series - so the once 57 744s started at G-BNLA, ran through the BNL* series, started a new one at G-CIVA, ran though the CIV* series, started a new one at G-BYGA and got as far as G-BYGG before deliveries ceased due to orders having been converted to 772-ERs. There are actually 25 registrations in each series, the letter Q isn't used.
The 130 A320 family planes have what looks like less organised registrations because as well as planes new to BA, there are ones that were new to British Midland (G-DBC* and G-MID*), GB Airways (G-TTO*), and BMED (G-MED*) which retained their registrations as they were already on the UK register, and used ones originally registered in other countries, re-registered in the G-GAT*series because they are allocated to London Gatwick. A318/319/320/321 planes new to BA all have registrations beginning G-EU**. This will change for A320neo and A321neo planes on order for delivery from next year onwards.
Finally the 772-ERs use two series, G-VII* (cunning pun on Roman numeral for 7) and G-YMM* (delivered from 2000 onwards, another Roman numeral pun, MM being 2000 in Roman numerals), plus the one-off G-RAES, given its registration in honour of the Royal Aeronautical Society, usually known as RAeS. This is the only "special" registration in the BA fleet, all the others follow some sort of pattern.

LH423

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Andy33 wrote:

BA have and, in the case of the 787s, are using letters to stand in for numbers. For instance, their first four 777s (non-ER, A models) were registered G-ZZZA-D, the Z being the letter arguably most closely resembling a 7. They abandoned this practice with the ER deliveries, G-VII* for those with GE, G-YMM* for those with RR, plus the outlier, G-RAES, which is named in honour of the Royal Aeronautical Society. The decision to go with ZB for the 787s, I believe, is rooted in the same pun (B being most closely like an 8). It looks like the pun ends there, other than J has been assigned to the -8 fleet and K to the -9 fleet.
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

winterlight

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 pm

vhqpa wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

BA is known for using cryptic three letter sequences that correspond to a particular type usually involving Roman numerals

Off the top of my head

Their A320neo fleet will be G-TTN* (Three Twenty Neo) and the A321neo the less clever G-NEO*.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

marcelh

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Noshow wrote:
I think in Germany you could opt for a European Union flag as well. Or even both at the same time.

Both flags simultaneously is allowed, but the German flag is mandatory. A lot of gliders in Europe are D-registered and non-Germans like to replace the German flag with the EU flag.

AirInterCRV

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:38 pm

French regs seem to be open to whatever customization is available.
Hence:
F-ORLY for Air Caraïbes as a tribute to their home airport
F-HSEA, F-HSEX (now sold) and F-HSUN for Corsair's 744s...

ro1960
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 pm

winterlight wrote:

Their A320neo fleet will be G-TTN* (Three Twenty Neo) and the A321neo the less clever G-NEO*.

Again, just 25 units each max.?

OlafW

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Noshow wrote:

Some more 3rd position letters which might have a meaning:
D-AIN* are A320neos
D-AIX* are A350s (XWB)

About the reusage of registrations, the 747-8is got the registrations that the 747-100s already had - with exception of D-ABYB, which was the only one written off after a crash in Nairobi

Some naming convention was also used for LH Cityline:
- The BAe/Avro jets were D-AVR*, of course including D-AVRO
- The Canadairs were D-AC** with the first batch sporting the D-ACL* regs and the latest CRJ900 being the NG version D-ACN*

Finally, Augsburg Airways, who were part of the LH Regional group, put IATA codes of mostly German (regional) airports into the registrations of the Dash-8A/B/Cs. The Dash-8Ds then started with D-DH**

leleko747

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 am

Question:

I've also noticed that German planes don't seem to have the registration printed under or over the wings (or at least one wing).
Many other European aircraft from other countries seem to adopt that, except Germany. Why?
But the, i've seen a pic of a SunExpress Deutschland B737-800 sporting the reg under one of the wings (a German reg). Is it up to the airline or something?

vhqpa wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

25 actually. In the UK "Q" cannot be used. If they have more than 25 they usually start a new sequence. For instance on the 744 they started with BNLx then moved onto BYGx and CIVx.

Off the top of my head

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing!
I also recall BA have (or had) a Boeing 777 with an odd registration: G-RAES

If I remember correctely, "RAES" was an acronym and was put as a homage. But I simply can't remember what it was.
Anyone...???
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190.
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

VirginFlyer

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:23 am

leleko747 wrote:
I also recall BA have (or had) a Boeing 777 with an odd registration: G-RAES

If I remember correctely, "RAES" was an acronym and was put as a homage. But I simply can't remember what it was.
Anyone...???

RAeS = Royal Aeronautical Society

V/F
"It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

DABYT

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 am

leleko747 wrote:
Question:

I've also noticed that German planes don't seem to have the registration printed under or over the wings (or at least one wing).
Many other European aircraft from other countries seem to adopt that, except Germany. Why?
But the, i've seen a pic of a SunExpress Deutschland B737-800 Sporting the reg under one of the wings (a German reg). Is it up to the airline or something?

For aircraft under 5,7 tons in Germany it is mandatory to have the registration painted under the left wing.

belfordrocks

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 am

Of course there's also Air Austral, which at times had registrations bearing their destinations, F-OMAY (Mayotte), F-ORUN (Reunion), F-OPAR (Paris), F-ONOU (Noumea) and F-OSYD (Sydney)
A340-500 Queen of the Skies

leleko747

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:10 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:

Very nice! Thanks :bouncy:

DABYT wrote:
For aircraft under 5,7 tons in Germany it is mandatory to have the registration painted under the left wing.

That still doesn't explain the SunExpress B737-800...
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190.
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

Noshow

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Great knowledge coming together. Thanks to all.

ro1960
Topic Author

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 am

Noshow wrote:
Great knowledge coming together. Thanks to all.

Absolutely. Thanks all.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos