EGGD
Topic Author

Rapid Expansion 4 Regional/Secondary Euro Airpts?

Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:27 am

Hi guys,

It seems that, this looks like the future. The sudden growth of Low cost airlines will most likely result in a rapid increase in size for regional and secondary airports througout Europe, where landing fee's are lower and slots are more flexible. This is thanks to Ryanair, Go Fly, and easyjet who are inhabiting these airports like wildfire.

I think, that the WTC attacks might have actually aided this growth, taking buisness away from the major airlines, but Low-cost airlines load-factors remaining stable and increasing. Along with clever advertisments to get passengers on these airlines. Big orders from Ryanair, easyjet and Go Fly are all pending (Go, not confirmed yet? And easyjet still speculation?). I hope the success of these airlines continue! Especially in the vacancies that BA left with their 'all LHR' mentality.

I think soon alot of airports could follow London Stansteds path, becoming medium sized airports that handle millions of passengers a year.

Your thoughts?

Dan

gkirk

RE: Rapid Expansion 4 Regional/Secondary Euro Airpts?

Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:58 am

Yes look for UK airport growth at BRS,GLA,NCL,EDI,EMA over the next few years due to low-cost carriers.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

connector4you

Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:53 pm

Oh absolutely, business is booming at small regional airports not only in Europe but also in Canada due to low-cost operators. Expensive landing and operating fees, airport improvement taxes, scarce/non- flexible slots, extra security fees just to name few reasons why big airports are to be avoided by LO-CO operators.
In my opinion the LO-CO's appeal to its customers could be summarized as follow.

-very low airfares (5-150 Euros)
-point-to-point regional service

So as long as these LO-CO's will diversify their networks, small regional airports could see a significant increase in traffic and associated business opportunities. In turn, I see a need for these small airports to encourage and to offer as many incentives as possible to these LO-CO's especially in the earlier stages.

In my opinion at these low rates even the poorest Eastern-European market is screaming and begging for service….That's right it's a bargain even for them!

Cheers

petertenthije

Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:48 am

If it will happen in the future? It is already happening right now. Just look at the explosian of flights from Brussels South (Charleroi).
Attamottamotta!

EGGD
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:23 am

There are more flights, but no expansion. Bristol is one of many to need a second new terminal in 2 years, and a bigger apron..

bmi330

Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:46 am

a like the low cost carrers cause they offer everyone a better deal so the low cost carriers rock. from my home city of glasgow ryian air arent only cheaper than ba they also offer direct flights and go nad easy jet are planing the same.

ps hope there is a major expansion in glasgow relly soon

airsicknessbag

Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:54 am

Both extension of current runways and rededicating military airfields for civilian use will become increasingly difficult, legally speaking. So increasing services at existing airports yes, but don´t expect many new airports.

Daniel Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos