LY744
Topic Author

AC Tango To Commence YQG And YXU Services

Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:49 am

Finally!  Big thumbs up

AC Tango will start daily flights to Windsor ON (YQG) and London ON (YXU) this June 17th. Tickets will become available for booking on Feb. 28th. No info about the a/c to be used on the flights. This will bring the number of cities served by Tango to 23. They will fly the following routes: London-Halifax, London-Calgary-Vancouver, Windsor-Ottawa-Halifax, Windsor-Winnipeg-Calgary. It seems that AC chose not to "compete with themselves" with the new routes (to YQG anyways, as Air Ontario only serves YYZ). Two other new routes to be introduced are Saskatoon-YVR, and Regina(YQR)-YVR.

Anyone knows what a/c they will use on the new routes (A320/732)?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

http://www.flytango.com/en/tango/press/21feb2002_1.html

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

captaingomes

RE: AC Tango To Commence YQG And YXU Services

Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:32 am

I am very interested in seeing how these services do. I have a feeling that some of the smaller "underserved" markets might do reasonably well with new, value focused air travel, and will see increased air travel numbers at their respective airports.
This is just a theory I have, and might not necessarily hold true for all airports (such as YWG, hehehe).

So with Tango and Westjet expanding to new, previously underserved airports, let's see how they end up doing, and if they give up those routes, or end up expanding.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

yow

Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:39 am

It's great to see nonstops returning between YQG and YOW. I will definitely be flying that one this summer to bypass YYZ.  Smile If AC continues to turn Tango into serving secondary markets and to a large degree not competing head-on with WestJet, it will successful for them, b/c the lower costs of Tango, should make these routes with lower yield potentials profitable for them.

spyderz

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:56 am

Look for most of those flights to be with 732's. I'm probably pretty sure that the YXU-YYC-YVR flight will be one since last summer this route was operated with a Air Canada mainline 732.

anywho

yow

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:05 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually AC has 20-30 732s in addition to the eventual fleet of the 13 ex-CP 320s, flying in Tango colours someday; especially if the economy continues to gradually improve.

fallingeese

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:31 pm

Any news when the 737-200's are joining the fleet? Where are they to be painted?
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

fly_yhm

Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:22 pm

They are basically turning this into the LLC.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

Tennisace

Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:17 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't both Windsor and London at one time have service to all of Toronto Pearson, Toronto Island, Ottawa, and Montreal?? I'm sure these two cities are glad to get the new service, especially jets! I bet the London-Halifax route will be summer only.

lymanm

Yow

Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:33 pm

Don't be surprised if the majority of AC domestic will be ALL Tango in the future...
buhh bye

LY744
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:45 pm

"I'm sure these two cities are glad to get the new service, especially jets!"

Oh yeah! Big grin

It's just that the only place you can fly to from Windsor on an airline (Air Ontario) is YYZ, with Dash-8-100 and -300's. There is also the 3x weekly winter SSV A320 service to popular southern destinations. Apart from that, there are a few Georgian C208's daily flights from YHM, YXU, and possibly YYZ (don't remember). Those are all cargo, though. The C208's carry a nice CP-like livery.  Smile

I believe you are right about the flight from YQG to YYZ, YUL, YOW and T Island. The Air Ontario YOW flights were only introduced (re-introduced?) in the spring of 2001, but cancelled a few months later, I believe the Montreal flights were also cancelled relatively recently (last year?).

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:34 pm

Lymanm wrote: "Don't be surprised if the majority of AC domestic will be ALL Tango in the future..."

Given the big hints that Robert Milton has been making about running Air Canada more and more like a low-cost carrier, it's not far-fetched to assume that Milton's intentions are for Tango to overtake the mainline in the domestic market.

AC mainline would then become a primarily trans-continental and international carrier, no longer doing milk runs like Toronto-St. John's, Winnipeg-Calgary or Vancouver-Edmonton.

The decision to go into Abbotsford is interesting. Can an attempt at extracting wage concessions be on the way, in order to get costs closer to Westjet levels?

fly_yhm

Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:17 am

its really funny how that are trying to get at westjet but don't even fly into their eastern hub hmmmmm. ]People fly with us at yhm from as far away as places like Barrie and Guelph. Supposily AC has been at YHM lately and been talking about bringing Tango but im not sure about it.

Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

yow

RE: Yow

Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:09 am

Lymanm...I won't be surprised at all, at least on the non-ACR, secondary routes.