Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Re: The Future of ISP

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 pm

American only has that one gate at ISP. I think they might be pulling out some flights as March is not a busy time and most people will go South during those months.

I see it as that they might start flights to DCA (Hub) and that way they would have 2 and 2.

Nice catch!

Art at ISP

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Nice story in today's Newsday about ISP. Here's the link but it may be behind a pay wall:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/tra ... 1.15101521

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:51 am

Very interesting! I love how they are saving money aswell as that they have fully lowered the $ per passenger

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:35 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
American only has that one gate at ISP. I think they might be pulling out some flights as March is not a busy time and most people will go South during those months.

I see it as that they might start flights to DCA (Hub) and that way they would have 2 and 2.

Nice catch!

With the amount of flights they have daily into ISP, American does not need to reduce flights to make room at their one gate. They only have, what, 3 flights a day now to PHL? So to add one or two flights to another city would be easily accomplished with one gate without reducing any other flights. They could easily run 8-10 flights a day out of one gate, as long as there is no overlap in their schedules. If they are indeed reducing flights down to 2 (which I remain skeptical of this far in advance), I doubt it has to do with making room, facilities-wise.

That being said, I could see them possibly preparing to route existing traffic through another hub (i.e. CLT or DCA). The 2 and 2 idea isn't a terrible one (with 2 flights to PHL and 2 to (hopefully) CLT).
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Art at ISP

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:02 pm

I would hope that either AA will expand their city offerings or DL will return to ISP at some point. It seems to make sense for DL, to have two or three daily flights to DTW and or ATL.
I know the airport commissioner personally and have spoken to her about the choice of F9, but I guess as long as they are doing well, they are good--but I would never fly them. I don't care for unbundled fares, but the most concerning issue for me is IRROPS customer service-there basically is none...if a flight is delayed or cancelled you can't move to another airline without buying a completely separate ticket, and you are at the airline's mercy...as indicated by the recent 12 hour delay on a flight between ISP and MCO.

WNflyer1523

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

So today PVD just announced a daily summer seasonal flight to YYZ on Air Canada CRJ-200. Here's to hoping that ISP could get the same in the future!

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:21 am

WNflyer1523 wrote:
So today PVD just announced a daily summer seasonal flight to YYZ on Air Canada CRJ-200. Here's to hoping that ISP could get the same in the future!

I think YYZ-ISP would do very well especially for business

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:47 am

I know its coming... But the suspense of "Expansion" is crazy!!

Has anyone gotten any insite!?!

LIMA has made a press release and part of it was about airlines that left us. And also announced how American gave LIMA a Silver trophy for on time performance, Ground crew and efficientness of LIMA. Which brings us to the big rumor that American is going to pull a 2/3 route expansion at KISP in the upcoming year.

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Today American started CRJ200 flights from PHL into ISP along with the ERJ145 (2 times daily with each aircraft (4 a Day)

Why could this be? Is the CRJ200 about the same size or is it bigger/smaller?

flymco753

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Both have roughly 50 seats.
Whether you call Central Florida home, or your favorite travel destination, we hope that you’ll return soon! Have a pleasant flight.

*Future Route Network Planner*

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 pm

flymco753 wrote:

So you wouldn't consider it an "Upgrade" would you?

flymco753

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

So you wouldn't consider it an "Upgrade" would you?
No, a E145 to a CRJ-700 would be an upgrade, for Delta, a 737-800 to an A320 wouldn’t be considered an upgrade because they’re basically the same.
Whether you call Central Florida home, or your favorite travel destination, we hope that you’ll return soon! Have a pleasant flight.

*Future Route Network Planner*

evank516

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Comfort wise it's probably a downgrade.

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Oh.. You guys think it’s just because of the lack of aircraft or.....?!?

WNflyer1523

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
Today American started CRJ200 flights from PHL into ISP along with the ERJ145 (2 times daily with each aircraft (4 a Day)

It's likely not due to an increase/decrease in demand, as they both have the same seating capacity. Maybe they have a shortage in planes, preparing for the busy holiday season, or both?

CXA330300

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

I could see AA switching PHL to DCA.
Home airport now: JFK

evank516

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

CXA330300 wrote:

They operated both for quite some time. ISP-DCA was axed due to the US/AA merger which resulted in the merged airline giving up slots. DCA may come back at some point if/when AA gets the slots needed for it.

Moose135

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:

Is that related to the Air Wisconsin flying going away? I've read that Envoy is bringing back -145s to fill in for that.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
Moose135 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

Is that related to the Air Wisconsin flying going away? I've read that Envoy is bringing back -145s to fill in for that.

Islip has had the E145s for about 2 months now but now the CRJ200 has joined us at LIMA!

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 pm

CXA330300 wrote:

I see them adding DCA on top of PHL.

Maybe they would decrease the frequency of PHL but they wouldn’t get rid of it!

WNflyer1523

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:54 pm

CXA330300 wrote:

I wouldn't see them dropping PHL, but maybe they will add DCA. I remember back in 2014 when they were forced to give up a bunch of routes from DCA because of the merger, and there was an opening for 1 slot at DCA, they applied for the ISP-DCA route but lost to WN who started MCI-DCA.
If they were to re-start that route, I could see 2x daily on CRJ2, increasing to 3x daily in the summertime.

However, I think it's more likely that they would add ISP-CLT instead of ISP-DCA. 2x daily CRJ9 with a RON E175 would cover this route well IMO.

GuruJanitor

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 pm

What about Norwegian’s short haul offerings to the Caribbean? On the surface ISP could be a good base for that, and if anyone would try it, its probably Norwegian. I think the demand would be there for a 737. Dont see them doing any transatlantic ops like previously mentioned with the short runway. I seem to remember Newsday mentioning Aer Lingus testing the waters with that some years back but without a runway extension it was a nonstarter.

(Also first time poster, long time reader. Grew up flying out of ISP in its heyday, live in NYC now but still interested in the hometown field)

Moose135

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Islip has had the E145s for about 2 months now but now the CRJ200 has joined us at LIMA!

Thanks! I misread that as the E-145 had been added in place of the CRJ-200.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 pm

GuruJanitor wrote:
What about Norwegian’s short haul offerings to the Caribbean? On the surface ISP could be a good base for that, and if anyone would try it, its probably Norwegian. I think the demand would be there for a 737. Dont see them doing any transatlantic ops like previously mentioned with the short runway. I seem to remember Newsday mentioning Aer Lingus testing the waters with that some years back but without a runway extension it was a nonstarter.

(Also first time poster, long time reader. Grew up flying out of ISP in its heyday, live in NYC now but still interested in the hometown field)

Many European Carriers have stated that ISP May be in their future (Norwegian, WOW, Aer Lingus, and RyanAir to Name a few). I see Norwegian announcing service in 2019 as that is when ISP is able to do International Flights (TSA Thing). I see them announcing DUB, BGO, PTP, FDF, SXM.

They could definitely operate those out of ISP even with the runway being short. Aswell That ISP is working on getting a runway expand in the upcoming years

WNflyer1523

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
GuruJanitor wrote:

Many European Carriers have stated that ISP May be in their future (Norwegian, WOW, Aer Lingus, and RyanAir to Name a few). I see Norwegian announcing service in 2019 as that is when ISP is able to do International Flights (TSA Thing). I see them announcing DUB, BGO, PTP, FDF, SXM.

They could definitely operate those out of ISP even with the runway being short. Aswell That ISP is working on getting a runway expand in the upcoming years

If Frontier likes ISP, I could see them adding San Juan summer seasonal, 3-4x weekly on an a319.

GuruJanitor

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:
GuruJanitor wrote:

If Frontier likes ISP, I could see them adding San Juan summer seasonal, 3-4x weekly on an a319.

I read somewhere on ANet (perhaps it was earlier in this thread) that Frontier is doing quite well, even regularly filling their a321s. I think the demand is there to keep em around and even expand, and admittedly anecdotal evidence shows (ie friends and family still on the Island) always are clammoring for Caribbean flights out of Islip. I think Aruba would do fantastic a few times a week, with both local leisure demand and the US preclearance facility.

Is ISP still getting a customs facility installed?

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:32 pm

GuruJanitor wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

I read somewhere on ANet (perhaps it was earlier in this thread) that Frontier is doing quite well, even regularly filling their a321s. I think the demand is there to keep em around and even expand, and admittedly anecdotal evidence shows (ie friends and family still on the Island) always are clammoring for Caribbean flights out of Islip. I think Aruba would do fantastic a few times a week, with both local leisure demand and the US preclearance facility.

Is ISP still getting a customs facility installed?

Yes they are. In 2019

Jshank83

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:36 pm

ISP-CLT on F9 is not going to start anymore

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Yep they cancelled that like a month ago. There are speculations of Frontier starting other Carolina Service.

Jshank83

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Yep they cancelled that like a month ago. There are speculations of Frontier starting other Carolina Service.

Oh Thanks. I didn't realize it was that long ago.

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:13 pm

What opportunities are there out there for KISP?!?

NBGSkyGod

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:

I would love to see someone do ISP-BOS, not likely though.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:04 pm

BOS should work as there is alot of demand from long island to the bos area, but In reality I think it doesnt for a few reasons.

If you lived east of the airport you can take the ferry and it's not that much actual driving, mostly on the ferry you can watch Netflix,work etc. If you live to the West you could drive around or jump on the cheap and frequent flights from JFK. The geography of long island is its hard to get anywhere since your on an island but headed to Boston is one place you can avoid NYC entirely and just drive and head east to the ferries. Maybe if a Southwest or frontier did it with larger planes, more frequent services, and cheaper people would be interested. Overall I think DCA is more baldly needed. The traffic you have to face driving makes that a very long trip. DCA or IAD I would think should be on the airports list of most badly needed.

MHFCPA

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
WN got up to around 40 flights

I recall reading some time back that Southwest peaked at 51 flights per day out of ISP.

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:54 pm

MHFCPA wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
WN got up to around 40 flights

I recall reading some time back that Southwest peaked at 51 flights per day out of ISP.

Hopefully they will bring them all back :)

The MDW and BNA Routes would do very well now but Southwest has not brought them back.

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:28 pm

NBGSkyGod wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

I would love to see someone do ISP-BOS, not likely though.

It may work... But I dont know what airline would do it.. (Unless Spirit or Delta came in to KISP)

WNflyer1523

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Would love to see AA initiate ORD-ISP, 2x daily on E175 would probably do well. Lots of people connect thru ORD, have business there, or are simply going there for leisure and/or to see friends/family.

WNflyer1523

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
The MDW and BNA Routes would do very well now but Southwest has not brought them back.

Not too sure about this. Southwest just doesn't seem to care about BNA lately, maybe if they had more connecting destinations out of BNA, ISP-BNA would work. I don't think they'd want to compete with Frontier on ISP-Chicago.

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:17 am

WNflyer1523 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

Not too sure about this. Southwest just doesn't seem to care about BNA lately, maybe if they had more connecting destinations out of BNA, ISP-BNA would work. I don't think they'd want to compete with Frontier on ISP-Chicago.

You don’t think that they would want to completely match Frontier?

Frontier:
KATL
KORD
KDTW
KMSP

Southwest:
KATL or KBNA
KMDW
(Forget DTW)
(Forget MSP)

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:35 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
BOS should work as there is alot of demand from long island to the bos area, but In reality I think it doesnt for a few reasons.

If you lived east of the airport you can take the ferry and it's not that much actual driving, mostly on the ferry you can watch Netflix,work etc. If you live to the West you could drive around or jump on the cheap and frequent flights from JFK. The geography of long island is its hard to get anywhere since your on an island but headed to Boston is one place you can avoid NYC entirely and just drive and head east to the ferries. Maybe if a Southwest or frontier did it with larger planes, more frequent services, and cheaper people would be interested. Overall I think DCA is more baldly needed. The traffic you have to face driving makes that a very long trip. DCA or IAD I would think should be on the airports list of most badly needed.

DCA is definitely needed and hopefully AA will come through for ISP! But Boston apparently hasn't worked in the past so... :)

evank516

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

Frontier:
KATL
KORD
KDTW
KMSP

Southwest:
KATL or KBNA
KMDW
(Forget DTW)
(Forget MSP)

I'm still maintaining that DL will be watching how F9 performs on ISP-ATL/DTW. If it does well I do think DL will return.

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:27 pm

evank516 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:

Frontier:
KATL
KORD
KDTW
KMSP

Southwest:
KATL or KBNA
KMDW
(Forget DTW)
(Forget MSP)

I'm still maintaining that DL will be watching how F9 performs on ISP-ATL/DTW. If it does well I do think DL will return.

And that’s what I’m hoping as when Delta Joins, Then the possibility of JetBlue coming in increases

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:20 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

Frontier:
KATL
KORD
KDTW
KMSP

Southwest:
KATL or KBNA
KMDW
(Forget DTW)
(Forget MSP)

And that’s what I’m hoping as when Delta Joins, Then the possibility of JetBlue coming in increases

I'm slightly confused; Why would Delta's presence increase the chances of JetBlue coming to ISP?
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

DL757NYC

Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:38 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
GuruJanitor wrote:

In the late 8 early 9th they wanted to extend the runway to attract flights from Europe. The residents screamed bloody murder. It was loud with the DC 9/md80 and 727 and 737-200 today you don't get any noise from the airport jets are a lot quite but the time to expand was then. What could have been :/

evank516

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:34 pm

MesaFlyGuy wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:
evank516 wrote:

I'm slightly confused; Why would Delta's presence increase the chances of JetBlue coming to ISP?

This one has me baffled too. I don't see jetBlue coming to ISP at all unless they can find a niche in ISP-BOS.

varsity

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Carnival did 727 service to SJU the secondary markets on Puerto Rico (Ponce, Aguadilla) for quite a while IIRC. It wouldn't surprise me too much to see B6 add those or the same Florida cities they run from the other secondary NY airports (SWF, HPN). Nothing major though. It seems like you can fly a plane from anywhere in the Northeast to MCO and people will get on it.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

evank516

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:07 pm

varsity wrote:
Carnival did 727 service to SJU the secondary markets on Puerto Rico (Ponce, Aguadilla) for quite a while IIRC. It wouldn't surprise me too much to see B6 add those or the same Florida cities they run from the other secondary NY airports (SWF, HPN). Nothing major though. It seems like you can fly a plane from anywhere in the Northeast to MCO and people will get on it.

Except the difference between HPN/SWF and ISP is the lack of WN in HPN and SWF. B6 has no one to compete with on nonstop routes to Florida while they would be head to head with WN on those routes out of ISP. In SWF and HPN their competition is connecting options through ATL/CLT/DCA/DTW/PHL.

varsity

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:28 pm

True, but don't they compete on price with the big boys (and WN in some cases) on those routes at the big three airports? They seem to be holding their own at EWR where KP and other entrants fell to CO/UA predatory tactics. I don't see this as a major expansion so much as spreading out existing demand even further around the catchment area, especially since daytime slots at JFK remain at a premium and I'm guessing at ISP they are not. A single frequency to MCO/FLL/TPA might not ruffle too many feathers

Am I wrong that it seems like F9 gets into these secondary airports and then abandons them before they've even given the market a chance to develop? I'm thinking of ILG, particularly.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

varsity

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:36 pm

evank516 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

This one has me baffled too. I don't see jetBlue coming to ISP at all unless they can find a niche in ISP-BOS.

Same here. The addition of a major to an already limited market causes yet another player to come in?

For ISP-BOS could Cape Air's equipment do it? They seem to be doing okay with the B6 code shares to the summer islands. If it took off then maybe upgauge to the E190?

Balloonchaser
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:11 pm

varsity wrote:
evank516 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:

Same here. The addition of a major to an already limited market causes yet another player to come in?

For ISP-BOS could Cape Air's equipment do it? They seem to be doing okay with the B6 code shares to the summer islands. If it took off then maybe upgauge to the E190?

It could work, but some people don’t like going up to go back down.. I would love to see that but I don’t think JetBlue is that interested in ISP until we become international... Even then, I don’t think they will add a lot of service (if any)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos