mia
Topic Author

YTM to US

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Does anyone know if there have ever been direct flights from the US to YTM? I am thinking a seasonal 2x weekly from New York City or Boston may sell.

Today, Porter could possibly do the flight from EWR or Jet Blue from JFK (code share with Porter). There would be New York City originating traffic and catchment for connections.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

VirginFlyer

Re: YTM to US

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 pm

^^^
Is what is showing as the opening post of this thread actually in reply what is showing as the first reply? Strange...

V/F
"It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

atcsundevil
Crew

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
^^^
Is what is showing as the opening post of this thread actually in reply what is showing as the first reply? Strange...

V/F

Not sure how that happened! Very weird.

USPIT10L wrote:
CO flew EWRYTM for a couple years before the UA merger. IINM, PD did the same afterward for awhile.

Because some sort of goofy error happened here (your post appeared before the OP), I'm going to remove your comment just for formatting purposes. Your comment will still be visible in this post. Unfortunately I don't have a way of rearranging the order of posts in the thread.
Forum Moderator

aamd11

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:04 am

mia wrote:
Porter could possibly do the flight from EWR

They used to fly it weekly. This was one season probably five or six years ago when Porter's YTM program was at its peak.

An EWR-YTZ flight was dropped in favour of a EWR-YTM on Thursdays, around 1000. On arrival at YTM the aircraft then operated to YTZ (probably via YUL). On Sunday, one of the YTM departures would be to EWR. At EWR the aircraft then operated a scheduled EWR-YTZ.

It never returned the following season, presumably a combination of weak traffic and expired incentives.

AAvgeek744

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 am

aamd11 wrote:
mia wrote:

They used to fly it weekly. This was one season probably five or six years ago when Porter's YTM program was at its peak.

An EWR-YTZ flight was dropped in favour of a EWR-YTM on Thursdays, around 1000. On arrival at YTM the aircraft then operated to YTZ (probably via YUL). On Sunday, one of the YTM departures would be to EWR. At EWR the aircraft then operated a scheduled EWR-YTZ.

It never returned the following season, presumably a combination of weak traffic and expired incentives.

I tired once to do a dummy booking just to see how many flights went into YTM from YTZ. I couldn't find anything. Is the service season really short or what?

rbavfan

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 am

Recently one airline cut service to Ottawa due to low loads. Why would a route to an area, with low population, about half way between Montreal & Ottawa and farther north work? Whats there to attract enough passengers that the Capital could not?

wrongwayup

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:11 am

rbavfan wrote:
Recently one airline cut service to Ottawa due to low loads. Why would a route to an area, with low population, about half way between Montreal & Ottawa and farther north work? Whats there to attract enough passengers that the Capital could not?

Mont Tremblant is a popular vacation town. PD was marketing to the "weekend getaway" crowd in Toronto.

rbavfan

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:27 am

wrongwayup wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

Mont Tremblant is a popular vacation town. PD was marketing to the "weekend getaway" crowd in Toronto.

OK

Dominion301

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 pm

rbavfan wrote:

YTM serves Mont Tremblant, the Whistler of Eastern Canada, hence the seasonal winter service. YTM's actually 40km closer to YUL than it is to YOW.

What route out of Ottawa was cut recently (not counting winter sun destinations)? The last one I can think of was AC cut YOW-YYT from year-round to seasonal last year...unless you want to count AC shifting YOW-NYC from LGA to EWR earlier this year.

In fact, YOW for the first time in eons has actually gained some new routes. DL to LGA at the same time as when AC switched to EWR, and starting today YFC on PD and next week YSJ on PD, which is also a brand-new destination for YOW.

For a couple of winters, a couple of the weekly YTZ-YTM flights stopped at YOW...can't remember if it was like that last winter or whether that will happen again this winter. Though not advertised, you could actually buy a YOW-YTM ticket. One-way, taxes-in was only like $79.

hOMSaR

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
^^^

V/F

I have seen, on several occasions here and there, replies showing up as the first post of a thread, with the actual thread starter underneath it. I sometimes wonder if it is due to some peculiarities with how internal timestamps are generated.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

Skywatcher

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Continental used to fly E-145's from EWR to YTM during the winter ski season. I'm not sure if they still do.
I was at Tremblant last week and it was quite crowded-mostly Canadians though.

Dominion301

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Continental used to fly E-145's from EWR to YTM during the winter ski season. I'm not sure if they still do.
I was at Tremblant last week and it was quite crowded-mostly Canadians though.

Oh yeah I remember that. It lasted a couple of winters. Long gone though...not surprising given how many Canadian airports the US3 have pulled out of in the past 5 years.

aamd11

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:39 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
aamd11 wrote:
mia wrote:

I tired once to do a dummy booking just to see how many flights went into YTM from YTZ. I couldn't find anything. Is the service season really short or what?

Winter generally runs mid-December to early April. Usually around four days per week, with more frequencies added during the deepest winter periods (Feb/Mar). Total service is maybe about 8x weekly these days (once upon a time it was 13 or so).

Summer service is twice weekly, last week of June until Labour Day.

AAvgeek744

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 pm

aamd11 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
aamd11 wrote:

Winter generally runs mid-December to early April. Usually around four days per week, with more frequencies added during the deepest winter periods (Feb/Mar). Total service is maybe about 8x weekly these days (once upon a time it was 13 or so).

Summer service is twice weekly, last week of June until Labour Day.

Thanks. I figured the service was limited, I obviously just didn't try the right day or time.

MIflyer12

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

YTM serves Mont Tremblant, the Whistler of Eastern Canada, hence the seasonal winter service.

That is a very, very generous description of Mont Tremblant. In ski lift capacity and skiable terrain, Tremblant is a small fraction of Whistler-Blackcomb. As a an international destination ski resort? Hah ha ha!!

Dominion301

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

YTM serves Mont Tremblant, the Whistler of Eastern Canada, hence the seasonal winter service.

That is a very, very generous description of Mont Tremblant. In ski lift capacity and skiable terrain, Tremblant is a small fraction of Whistler-Blackcomb. As a an international destination ski resort? Hah ha ha!!

I think you took my words a little too well literally. Tremblant is owned by the same company that owned & operated Whistler Blackomb until a couple of years ago. The description I provided rings true. Tremblant is the biggest ski resort in Eastern Canada and the closest equivalent to what's in BC.

Beirut is often dubbed "the Paris of the Middle East". It doesn't mean it's an exact replica.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos