Indy
Topic Author
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: IND - New Runway & Major FX Expansion Coming?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Indy wrote:
There is also the old terminal area. Not sure if that will be used for FX because of the distance.


? distance doesn't seem to be an issue for FX, they already have two hangars on the completely opposite side of the property...


A hangar is one thing, but I doubt you are going to tow cargo back and forth over a great distance. That seems far too inefficient.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 642
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: IND - New Runway & Major FX Expansion Coming?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 am

Indy wrote:
A hangar is one thing, but I doubt you are going to tow cargo back and forth over a great distance. That seems far too inefficient.
I agree the location of the hangar means nothing but towing cargo to the old terminal ramp doesn't look any further than towing cargo to the farthest reaches of the FX MEM ramp. The 777 ramp in MEM is even removed and separated by the cross runway from the main FX facility, much as it would be at IND using the old terminal ramp.
FLYi
 
Indy
Topic Author
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: IND - New Runway & Major FX Expansion Coming?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 am

flyPIT wrote:
Indy wrote:
A hangar is one thing, but I doubt you are going to tow cargo back and forth over a great distance. That seems far too inefficient.
I agree the location of the hangar means nothing but towing cargo to the old terminal ramp doesn't look any further than towing cargo to the farthest reaches of the FX MEM ramp. The 777 ramp in MEM is even removed and separated by the cross runway from the main FX facility, much as it would be at IND using the old terminal ramp.


How long of a tug drive is it? The route from the FX sort facility to the old terminal location is very indirect. From the middle of the sort facility to the middle of the old terminal location is 10k feet. That includes taking the road around the end of the crosswind runway that a tug would have to take. Round trip is just under 4 miles. How long would that take at tug speed? Not sure that long of a run is practical. I checked MEM and the distance from the middle of the sort facility to the location across the runway is just shy of 7k feet. Round trip it is over a mile shorter.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
jetmatt777
Support
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: IND - New Runway & Major FX Expansion Coming?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:07 am

Indy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Indy wrote:
A hangar is one thing, but I doubt you are going to tow cargo back and forth over a great distance. That seems far too inefficient.
I agree the location of the hangar means nothing but towing cargo to the old terminal ramp doesn't look any further than towing cargo to the farthest reaches of the FX MEM ramp. The 777 ramp in MEM is even removed and separated by the cross runway from the main FX facility, much as it would be at IND using the old terminal ramp.


How long of a tug drive is it? The route from the FX sort facility to the old terminal location is very indirect. From the middle of the sort facility to the middle of the old terminal location is 10k feet. That includes taking the road around the end of the crosswind runway that a tug would have to take. Round trip is just under 4 miles. How long would that take at tug speed? Not sure that long of a run is practical. I checked MEM and the distance from the middle of the sort facility to the location across the runway is just shy of 7k feet. Round trip it is over a mile shorter.


Tugs usually ride around 15-20 mph. Bobtail freight trucks can do whatever speed you want (F350 with a bobtail instead of a bed) but they are usually mechanically governed to 25-35 mph. Dolly/cart wheel speed is the limiting factor on those.

That would be a hellacious distance on a tug...
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
Krivak
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Re: IND - New Runway & Major FX Expansion Coming?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Indy wrote:
There is also the old terminal area. Not sure if that will be used for FX because of the distance.


? distance doesn't seem to be an issue for FX, they already have two hangars on the completely opposite side of the property...


I believe they use them, they dont own them. As far as the old terminal, nothing's been said about using it. MEM is currently at capacity for space for fedex, so IND is the next one to be expanded because we are not landlocked and full up. MEM has had to reorganize a few times, and they have aircraft specific gates to ensure max capacity. Fedex IND gates are, with the exception of the 757 area and the two 777 gates, all sized for MD-11 aircraft to ensure any widebody can park in any gate.

Looks like they're actually going to use that area near the contractor gate for more dolly parking, and move that tug lot down about 500 or so feet further towards the end of the ramp, as there is more space.


jetmatt777 wrote:
Indy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
I agree the location of the hangar means nothing but towing cargo to the old terminal ramp doesn't look any further than towing cargo to the farthest reaches of the FX MEM ramp. The 777 ramp in MEM is even removed and separated by the cross runway from the main FX facility, much as it would be at IND using the old terminal ramp.


How long of a tug drive is it? The route from the FX sort facility to the old terminal location is very indirect. From the middle of the sort facility to the middle of the old terminal location is 10k feet. That includes taking the road around the end of the crosswind runway that a tug would have to take. Round trip is just under 4 miles. How long would that take at tug speed? Not sure that long of a run is practical. I checked MEM and the distance from the middle of the sort facility to the location across the runway is just shy of 7k feet. Round trip it is over a mile shorter.


Tugs usually ride around 15-20 mph. Bobtail freight trucks can do whatever speed you want (F350 with a bobtail instead of a bed) but they are usually mechanically governed to 25-35 mph. Dolly/cart wheel speed is the limiting factor on those.

That would be a hellacious distance on a tug...


There's a postal tug or two that makes the trip to us, they say it takes over half an hour one way. Fedex tugs are governed to 10ish mph, as that is the speed limit in our drivelanes. Further reduced to 5 mph (policy) within 50 feet of an aircraft. Some of the tugs have broken governers, Ive even towed dollies with them. That course of action is NOT recommended, those dollies will start slamming into the hitch, then swaying the faster you go. I backed down on speed pretty quickly.
 
jetmatt777
Support
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: IND - New Runway & Major FX Expansion Coming?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 am

I have a tractor I use at work (I try and beat others to check it out) because the governor is broken. Occasionally the airport will put up the feedback speed limit signs that tell you how fast you are going and it tops out at 21 mph without a load. Pulling a cart and 30 checked bags it runs about 17. So they are certainly not speed Demons. Most of ours are governed at 14 according to the signs.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos