planemanofnz
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:40 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
2h30m drive between Launceston and Hobart there is no reason not to treat the state as one market for a long haul flight.

Obzerva wrote:
Tasmanians won’t drive over 2 hours to Hobart for an international flight, when they can just connect through MEL out of LST/DPO/BWT.

Some would, just as some drive would from NTL to SYD, from MCY or OOL to BNE, and from from HLZ to AKL, despite each of these cities having their own airports. Ultimately, the time spent in airports is consistently voted as the most stressful part of a journey - AKL would offer international - international transfers from HBA (within one terminal), as opposed to MEL or SYD, which might be more attractive for Northern Tasmanians. This group might also be attracted to NZ's wider destination offering in the Pacific Islands, potentially cheaper fares to the Americas, unique in-flight product offerings (like the Skycouch), bigger and more comfortable jets for their whole journey (instead of part on a turboprop), as well as the ability to earn and use VA points.

DavidByrne wrote:
As an addendum re HBA - I was there last in January and found that accommodation costs were astronomical because of a serious capacity shortfall. Tasmania needs to address that issue if it wants to attract international visitors.

RyanairGuru wrote:
Any long haul flight into AYQ is a none starter. The Voyages properties have a year-round occupancy rate of near enough 100%. There is no point flying in more guests when the resort cannot accommodate the numbers visiting already.

First, who said anything about attracting new visitors? There are large existing numbers of visitors that these flights could be used to steal passengers away from, who currently use QF or other established players (read the figures in post 125 - for Tasmania, about 70,000 annually from Asia (for a SIN - HBA flight) and 55,000 annually from New Zealand, the United States and Canada (for an AKL - HBA flight), and for Ayers Rock, about 40,000 annually from Asia (for a SIN - AYQ flight) and 80,000 annually from New Zealand, the United States and Canada (for an AKL - AYQ flight)) . In any event, international visitors to Central Australia grew 4.2% last year, while those to Tasmania grew 13% in the same period, so growth is being facilitated

Cheers,

C.
 
747m8te
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am

Qantas16 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
HBA has had wide body service in the past. Back in the 1980s I flew HBA-AKL on QF on a 762, returning a fortnight later AKL-MEL-HBA (also on a 762) after QF canned the nonstop flight. That flight was also canned in pretty short order. And of course NZ operated CHC-HBA for many years with a 737, preceded by a bizarre arrangement where AN and TN each operated fortnightly services on CHC-HBA with a 727-200, but masquerading as a QF flight (QF393 IIRC) because the Federal government insisted that international flights were the sole preserve of Qantas. Customs facilities were available for all these services - can't imagine that wouldn't be available again if required.

I just had a check on HBA's Apron chart: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip ... 01-140.pdf

The biggest plane the apron seems to be able to receive is B763 at 1A, which is almost extinct from SE Asia/Australia. This also involves blocking both spot 1 and 2.

As such I don't currently believe that they can receive any A330/777/787 service due to fuselage length and wingspan.

Cheers
Michael


I'm 95% sure I've heard stories of QF flying 747's to HBA when they were first introduced on test/training flights. Either way, a 747 will be in HBA ~12months from now on a QF Antarctica flight

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/Fli ... ember-2018


Qantas were running 742s on the Melbourne to Hobart route during the Pilot dispute all those years ago, also Qantas have operated the 747 on a couple of charters to HBA over the years since, I vaguely remember even 744 Wunala visited one time. But yes they will also have the Antarctica flights coming :-)
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 6987
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am

planemanofnz wrote:
First, who said anything about attracting new visitors? There are large existing numbers of visitors that these flights could be used to steal passengers away from


But almost none of those visitors solely visit Uluru. The number of international tourists who visit Uluru (or Tasmania for that matter) who don't during the same trip also go to Sydney or one of the other major capitals is tiny.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
First, who said anything about attracting new visitors? There are large existing numbers of visitors that these flights could be used to steal passengers away from


But almost none of those visitors solely visit Uluru. The number of international tourists who visit Uluru (or Tasmania for that matter) who don't during the same trip also go to Sydney or one of the other major capitals is tiny.

Do you have any sources or statistics to verify this?

International visitors to the Northern Territory spend, on average, 8 nights there, while for Tasmania, that figure is 16 nights. Such extended stays demonstrate that these regions are significant destinations in their own right. For many visitors, SYD would of course be incorporated into their journey because they have to go through SYD - there are no direct flights.

A traveler from SIN to AYQ or from AKL to HBA would immediately be drawn to a non-stop flight - a stop in SYD almost doubles the journey for both routes.

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
MillwallSean
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
First, who said anything about attracting new visitors? There are large existing numbers of visitors that these flights could be used to steal passengers away from


But almost none of those visitors solely visit Uluru. The number of international tourists who visit Uluru (or Tasmania for that matter) who don't during the same trip also go to Sydney or one of the other major capitals is tiny.

Do you have any sources or statistics to verify this?

International visitors to the Northern Territory spend, on average, 8 nights there, while for Tasmania, that figure is 16 nights. Such extended stays demonstrate that these regions are significant destinations in their own right. For many visitors, SYD would of course be incorporated into their journey because they have to go through SYD - there are no direct flights.

A traveler from SIN to AYQ or from AKL to HBA would immediately be drawn to a non-stop flight - a stop in SYD almost doubles the journey for both routes.

Cheers,

C.

Are you arguing that visitors would fly in, see Ayers Rock and then fly out again? Based on the total number of Asian visitor stat? Hmm I see absolutely no correlation between your stat (which includes alot of people not coming from anywhere close to SIN) and demand for a nonstop between SIN-AYQ.
Sure you can stimulate demand with a nonstop, but since presently the demand between SIN-AYQ is counted on one hands fingers it feels a bit difficult to argue for the viability of the route...

Is there a correlation between average length of a stay and demand for a route? The average stay in Australia is 34 nights. That number includes a lot (VFR staying alot longer than tourists for example) and is based on information supplied voluntarily.
What it fail to show is potential between two airports or that a particular location is a destination in itself (Prague one of the most visited cities and definitely a destination in itself sees the average visitor spend 4.5 nights and should by that metric be a market of little importance).

My belief is that any new nonstop route would start by looking at O/D. I don't have the stats for AKL-HBA, but seeing those stats would say alot more about route viability than total visitor numbers to Tasmania.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:33 pm

MillwallSean wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

But almost none of those visitors solely visit Uluru. The number of international tourists who visit Uluru (or Tasmania for that matter) who don't during the same trip also go to Sydney or one of the other major capitals is tiny.

Do you have any sources or statistics to verify this?

International visitors to the Northern Territory spend, on average, 8 nights there, while for Tasmania, that figure is 16 nights. Such extended stays demonstrate that these regions are significant destinations in their own right. For many visitors, SYD would of course be incorporated into their journey because they have to go through SYD - there are no direct flights.

A traveler from SIN to AYQ or from AKL to HBA would immediately be drawn to a non-stop flight - a stop in SYD almost doubles the journey for both routes.

Cheers,

C.

Are you arguing that visitors would fly in, see Ayers Rock and then fly out again? Based on the total number of Asian visitor stat? Hmm I see absolutely no correlation between your stat (which includes alot of people not coming from anywhere close to SIN) and demand for a nonstop between SIN-AYQ.
Sure you can stimulate demand with a nonstop, but since presently the demand between SIN-AYQ is counted on one hands fingers it feels a bit difficult to argue for the viability of the route...

Is there a correlation between average length of a stay and demand for a route? The average stay in Australia is 34 nights. That number includes a lot (VFR staying alot longer than tourists for example) and is based on information supplied voluntarily.
What it fail to show is potential between two airports or that a particular location is a destination in itself (Prague one of the most visited cities and definitely a destination in itself sees the average visitor spend 4.5 nights and should by that metric be a market of little importance).

My belief is that any new nonstop route would start by looking at O/D. I don't have the stats for AKL-HBA, but seeing those stats would say alot more about route viability than total visitor numbers to Tasmania.

Fair enough - probably no market, you're right. Nevertheless, fun to hypothesize.

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:27 pm

QF 789 Update

Delivery date for VH-ZNC has been pushed back 2 weeks to 15/1/18
VH-ZNB is due to enter final assembly in a week's time (16/10/17)
VH-ZNA is ready for delivery (according to the 787 blog), though wont leave PAE until 17/10/17
Forum Moderator
 
Melb94
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:34 am

Just a quick question, is gate 10 at Melbourne T2 closed? I was checking their international departures page and gate 10 is not listed anywhere.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:13 am

Adelaide airport sees lift in net profit after increase in international passengers

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/1 ... assengers/
Forum Moderator
 
QF29
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 am

QF28 is currently diverting to MEL
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B737-4/6/7/8 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8, Q-400
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4735
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am

QF29 wrote:
QF28 is currently diverting to MEL


Southerly winds hitting SYD.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
decry
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am

EK413 wrote:
QF29 wrote:
QF28 is currently diverting to MEL


Southerly winds hitting SYD.

EK413


Is this really the reason?
 
melpax
Posts: 1774
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 am

Police blitz on taxi drivers refusing short fares at Melbourne Airport - a big problem for those who live in or have to travel to surrounding suburbs (and these can include some not so close suburbs as well). Didn't realise it was a $396 fine for a taxi driver to refuse a fare once hailed!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/taxi- ... ywryo.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:34 pm

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
There is an Icelandair 752 that has just departed AKL heading to Australia. While I'm not 100% sure I believe it is heading to HBA. Flight number is FI1404

https://www.flightradar24.com/ICE1404/f22c019


What is it doing in this part of the world?


It's an Abercrombe & Kent charter.

https://www.abercrombiekent.com/pageflip/2017/ak-pj-atw-gk-2017/index.html
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4735
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:15 pm

decry wrote:
EK413 wrote:
QF29 wrote:
QF28 is currently diverting to MEL


Southerly winds hitting SYD.

EK413


Is this really the reason?


Sydney had strong winds forecast and the QF28 therefore had to divert possibly due to low fuel.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
luftaom
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 4:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:17 pm

melpax wrote:
Police blitz on taxi drivers refusing short fares at Melbourne Airport - a big problem for those who live in or have to travel to surrounding suburbs (and these can include some not so close suburbs as well). Didn't realise it was a $396 fine for a taxi driver to refuse a fare once hailed!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/taxi- ... ywryo.html


I have a little bit of sympathy for the drivers - if you have waited for ~90minutes (or more) in the holding bay and then get a short fare you are losing money. In Sydney there is a policy whereby if the cabs can get back to the holding bay within 22 minutes of being released to the pick up rank they can go back to the front of the queue. The only catch is that 22 minutes is really tight - because it's measured from the front of the holding bay - so there are at least 3 or 4 minutes (more if luggage is involved) until you have passengers in your cab and are leaving the rank. To get to the destination, take payment, get the passengers out and get back within less than 18 minutes means that the destination needs to be really really close.

Before I get the plethora of the standard 'if they don't like it they should find a new job' comments - I'm not a cab driver, never have been, don't know any cab drivers and I fully appreciate that working a rank is the luck of the draw. I just have sympathy for the economics of being a driver - which on average are very poor. The money to be made in the cab business was (pre uber) always at the licence plate and payment levels and not with the poor saps working a 12 hour turn (with the inherent unsociable hours) with guaranteed expenses (the fees for each 12 hour shift paid to the bailor of the cab) and non-guaranteed returns (short fares after waiting an age on a rank). Post uber I don't know that anyone is making money - except maybe the tyre companies.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.
 
a320fan
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 pm

This is getting onto a different tangent now and not related to CIV Av, but I don't see why Cab drivers shouldn't be on salary. I presume they're technically subcontracted out? Ethically poor business model imo. Uber not great either but offer much better service so if I have to use a cab they get my money.
Airliners flowen in: 737-700, 737-800, A320, A321, 777-300ER, 777-200ER, 777-300, 787-8, A330-200, Q300
 
Jetstar315
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Gate 10 at Melbourne is definitely open. It is situated on the north western (now wait for this!) between gates 11 & 15. I think an Irishman must have decided on the gate designations!!
 
Obzerva
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am

luftaom wrote:
melpax wrote:
Police blitz on taxi drivers refusing short fares at Melbourne Airport - a big problem for those who live in or have to travel to surrounding suburbs (and these can include some not so close suburbs as well). Didn't realise it was a $396 fine for a taxi driver to refuse a fare once hailed!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/taxi- ... ywryo.html


I have a little bit of sympathy for the drivers - if you have waited for ~90minutes (or more) in the holding bay and then get a short fare you are losing money. In Sydney there is a policy whereby if the cabs can get back to the holding bay within 22 minutes of being released to the pick up rank they can go back to the front of the queue. The only catch is that 22 minutes is really tight - because it's measured from the front of the holding bay - so there are at least 3 or 4 minutes (more if luggage is involved) until you have passengers in your cab and are leaving the rank. To get to the destination, take payment, get the passengers out and get back within less than 18 minutes means that the destination needs to be really really close.

Before I get the plethora of the standard 'if they don't like it they should find a new job' comments - I'm not a cab driver, never have been, don't know any cab drivers and I fully appreciate that working a rank is the luck of the draw. I just have sympathy for the economics of being a driver - which on average are very poor. The money to be made in the cab business was (pre uber) always at the licence plate and payment levels and not with the poor saps working a 12 hour turn (with the inherent unsociable hours) with guaranteed expenses (the fees for each 12 hour shift paid to the bailor of the cab) and non-guaranteed returns (short fares after waiting an age on a rank). Post uber I don't know that anyone is making money - except maybe the tyre companies.


Thee used to be an "unofficial policy" that if you were a local to the airport you could simply jump in a cab upstairs from departures as someone else was getting out, you just told the attendant that you were only going to Tullamarine/Airport West, etc and they would let it slide, used to do it for years.
No longer being a local, I'm told by a colleague who does live local to MEL that they stopped letting that happen about a year ago.
 
smi0006
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:35 am

luftaom wrote:
melpax wrote:
Police blitz on taxi drivers refusing short fares at Melbourne Airport - a big problem for those who live in or have to travel to surrounding suburbs (and these can include some not so close suburbs as well). Didn't realise it was a $396 fine for a taxi driver to refuse a fare once hailed!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/taxi- ... ywryo.html


I have a little bit of sympathy for the drivers - if you have waited for ~90minutes (or more) in the holding bay and then get a short fare you are losing money. In Sydney there is a policy whereby if the cabs can get back to the holding bay within 22 minutes of being released to the pick up rank they can go back to the front of the queue. The only catch is that 22 minutes is really tight - because it's measured from the front of the holding bay - so there are at least 3 or 4 minutes (more if luggage is involved) until you have passengers in your cab and are leaving the rank. To get to the destination, take payment, get the passengers out and get back within less than 18 minutes means that the destination needs to be really really close.

Before I get the plethora of the standard 'if they don't like it they should find a new job' comments - I'm not a cab driver, never have been, don't know any cab drivers and I fully appreciate that working a rank is the luck of the draw. I just have sympathy for the economics of being a driver - which on average are very poor. The money to be made in the cab business was (pre uber) always at the licence plate and payment levels and not with the poor saps working a 12 hour turn (with the inherent unsociable hours) with guaranteed expenses (the fees for each 12 hour shift paid to the bailor of the cab) and non-guaranteed returns (short fares after waiting an age on a rank). Post uber I don't know that anyone is making money - except maybe the tyre companies.


I don’t know how it works, but I’m a sure there is a similar process in Melbourne. Taxi drivers normally ask if you are going beyond Essendon, as that seems to form some sort of perimiter but not sure on specifics.
 
AsiaTravel
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:02 am

Is Qantas giving a hint on their next aircraft type with this loan amount?

Qantas raising A$350 million in loan, allows switching aircraft types used as collateral

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-qantas-fundraising/qantas-raising-a350-million-in-loan-allows-switching-aircraft-types-used-as-collateral-idUSKBN1CF0BY
 
luftaom
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 4:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
Is Qantas giving a hint on their next aircraft type with this loan amount?

Qantas raising A$350 million in loan, allows switching aircraft types used as collateral

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-qantas-fundraising/qantas-raising-a350-million-in-loan-allows-switching-aircraft-types-used-as-collateral-idUSKBN1CF0BY


I suspect that it's just a syndicated loan agreement with some (very limited) flexibility in the aircraft in the security net. Typically aircraft finance facilities are secured by a single or a couple of very similar aircraft. What this sounds like is a mechanism for aircraft to be added or subtracted from the security net, no doubt involving the security trustee's consent and a independent valuation and assessment of the aircraft moving in or out of the security net. I suspect the facility agreement will have a hardwired mechanism to allow for the interest spread to move up and down depending on the value of the collateral i.e. the more collateral the lower the interest (and vv).
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4735
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 am

Speaking of aircraft today QF will officially be handed over the "keys" of -ZNA 10am Seattle time.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 am

EK413 wrote:
Speaking of aircraft today QF will officially be handed over the "keys" of -ZNA 10am Seattle time.

EK413


Are you sure, I heard something different?
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4735
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Speaking of aircraft today QF will officially be handed over the "keys" of -ZNA 10am Seattle time.

EK413


Are you sure, I heard something different?


I heard 10th of October 10am Seattle local exchange of title.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
melpax
Posts: 1774
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

Obzerva wrote:

Thee used to be an "unofficial policy" that if you were a local to the airport you could simply jump in a cab upstairs from departures as someone else was getting out, you just told the attendant that you were only going to Tullamarine/Airport West, etc and they would let it slide, used to do it for years.
No longer being a local, I'm told by a colleague who does live local to MEL that they stopped letting that happen about a year ago.


Apparently the airport put a stop to it as they wanted their 'cut' of the fare. Drivers can be fined for accepting fares on the departures level apparently.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
travelhound
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am

It looks like QANTAS are using their asset pool as collateral. This could be two edged sword. I suspect the terms of the contract will be based around the liquidity of assets rather than collateral on a asset, where the financier takes on the (relatively low) risk.

This deal could unencumber aircraft in the Jetstar portfolio, allowing those assets to be leveraged for growth of the business (i.e. Purchase of new A320NEO on finance).

This is a smart financing move by QANTAS, but could bite it if the market tanks.

Its all about exposure, so I suspect QANTAS would have properly assessed the risk.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 am

I have heard a rumour that an airline servicing PER in considering upgrading equipment
Forum Moderator
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5691
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:41 am

qf789 wrote:
I have heard a rumour that an airline servicing PER in considering upgrading equipment


That's a broad clue.

MH 738-333
TG 788-359/772/77W
SQ 333/772-388/77W/359
NZ 789-772
SA 343-346
CX 333-359/77W

Could be anyone what do EY use? 332 to 77W/789?

You use upgrade rather than upgauge so something newer but a similar size?!
 
qf744fan
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
qf789 wrote:
I have heard a rumour that an airline servicing PER in considering upgrading equipment


That's a broad clue.

MH 738-333
TG 788-359/772/77W
SQ 333/772-388/77W/359
NZ 789-772
SA 343-346
CX 333-359/77W

Could be anyone what do EY use? 332 to 77W/789?

You use upgrade rather than upgauge so something newer but a similar size?!


I remember hearing that EK wanted to go twice daily 388, this would be an upgrade of note
 
AsiaTravel
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
qf789 wrote:
I have heard a rumour that an airline servicing PER in considering upgrading equipment


That's a broad clue.

MH 738-333
TG 788-359/772/77W
SQ 333/772-388/77W/359
NZ 789-772
SA 343-346
CX 333-359/77W

Could be anyone what do EY use? 332 to 77W/789?

You use upgrade rather than upgauge so something newer but a similar size?!


CX is already going 359 at the end of this month.
 
getluv
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:42 am

EK will drop BNE-AKL and MEL-AKL as part of their revised partnership with QF. QF to add frequencies and will upguage some services between MEL/BNE-AKL.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ip-update/
Censoring is for cowards.
 
BAeRJ100
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
qf789 wrote:
SA 343-346

Could be anyone what do EY use? 332 to 77W/789?!


EY has been a 789 for a while now. SAA also already uses A346s every now and then.

qf744fan wrote:
I remember hearing that EK wanted to go twice daily 388, this would be an upgrade of note


EK has already operated twice daily A380 to PER, between August 2016 and March of this year.
B738-9/744ER/752/752/763/77L/77W/788/789
A320/321/332/333/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900
 
smi0006
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 am

getluv wrote:
EK will drop BNE-AKL and MEL-AKL as part of their revised partnership with QF. QF to add frequencies and will upguage some services between MEL/BNE-AKL.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ip-update/


Interesting news. Press release states connect to London Perth. Wonder if we’ll see seasonal Perth extended? Be good to see the schedule.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:57 am

The only airline i can see upgrading out of PER is EY to 777 or AirAsia from DPS to A330, but that would likely be seasonal.

The only other long shot would be QR but i dont think there is enough premium demand to fill the 388.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 am

BAeRJ100 wrote:

qf744fan wrote:
I remember hearing that EK wanted to go twice daily 388, this would be an upgrade of note


EK has already operated twice daily A380 to PER, between August 2016 and March of this year.


Actually EK axed the second A388 service to PER in Oct 16, it then returned for Dec/Jan and then went back to 777 in Feb
Forum Moderator
 
qf744fan
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:36 am

qf789 wrote:
BAeRJ100 wrote:

qf744fan wrote:
I remember hearing that EK wanted to go twice daily 388, this would be an upgrade of note


EK has already operated twice daily A380 to PER, between August 2016 and March of this year.


Actually EK axed the second A388 service to PER in Oct 16, it then returned for Dec/Jan and then went back to 777 in Feb



Congratulations to me for being so in the loop at my local :lol: . Thanks for the update guys.
 
log0008
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 am

smi0006 wrote:
getluv wrote:
EK will drop BNE-AKL and MEL-AKL as part of their revised partnership with QF. QF to add frequencies and will upguage some services between MEL/BNE-AKL.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ip-update/


Interesting news. Press release states connect to London Perth. Wonder if we’ll see seasonal Perth extended? Be good to see the schedule.


It seems more targetted at people connecting at Melbourne but that creates a 2 stop flight.

QF Changes to MEL

QF153 MEL 07:45 - 13:20 AKL 738
QF159 MEL 10:45 - 16:20 AKL A332
QF155 MEL 18:15 - 23:50 AKL 738
QF151 MEL 23:35 - 05:50+1 AKL A332

Also on the topic of A330's QF will now have even less A330's on domestic sectors - I also heard from someone at VA that they are aiming to remove all A330's from domestic opps within 2 years.
 
MooLor
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 am

smi0006 wrote:
getluv wrote:
EK will drop BNE-AKL and MEL-AKL as part of their revised partnership with QF. QF to add frequencies and will upguage some services between MEL/BNE-AKL.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ip-update/


Interesting news. Press release states connect to London Perth. Wonder if we’ll see seasonal Perth extended? Be good to see the schedule.


Fairfax is saying "Emirates will begin services directly between Dubai and New Zealand bypassing Melbourne and Brisbane...", which kinda reads as dropping a flight to both MEL & BNE.

Simply dropping the NZ tags and establishing new direct NZ routes makes more sense.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/qantas-and-emirates-compete-for-kiwis-with-extra-flights-20171011-gyykd7.html
 
User avatar
A330freak
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:47 am

Video of ZNA being assembled and painted
https://www.facebook.com/Qantas/videos/ ... 631692686/
 
Obzerva
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 am

qf789 wrote:
I have heard a rumour that an airline servicing PER in considering upgrading equipment


That would time in with the rumoured upgrade to a new business class for a subset of the 737 fleet, similar to Jetblue’s Mint product

Assuming the a330s would launch SYD/BNE to HKG and mystery Chinese city
 
log0008
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks to Ausbt we now have a table showing all the QF changes for BNE/SYD/MEL-AKL:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/here-is-qantas ... o-auckland

BNE gains 2 extra 737 flights each week and 1 flight upgraded to A330
MEL sees a new A330 flight each day and 1 flight upgraded to the A330 6 days per week




Image
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4735
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:42 am

qf789 wrote:
I have heard a rumour that an airline servicing PER in considering upgrading equipment


EY B77W upgauge ;)

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1279
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-emir ... SKBN1CG06K

Interesting commentary from Reuters re QF/EK
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1279
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 am

I am surprised that QF hasn't put on more flights e.g. AKL-PER year round, or AKL-ADL (or maybe AKL-HBA even) as part of the approval process with the ACCC. These changes create a 3.7% volume decrease. The original approval required QF and EK to maintain pre competition capacity on TT - which at the time seemed to be the only really 'onerous' condition on the deal.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

qf2220 wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-emirates-airline-qantas/emirates-to-quit-some-new-zealand-flights-as-part-of-new-qantas-pact-idUSKBN1CG06K

Interesting commentary from Reuters re QF/EK


Interesting indeed, particularly this bit

“Increasingly it is Qantas driving the Emirates partnership,” the CAPA Centre for Aviation wrote in a research note in August. “For Emirates this is not ideal but there are still very cogent reasons for the partnership and it would prefer a weaker partnership to none – or, worse, the prospect of Qantas working with one of Emirates’ competitors.”
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:50 am

Dan23 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
I have heard a rumour that an airline servicing PER in considering upgrading equipment


EY B77W upgauge ;)

EK413

Not CX swapping the A330 for A350?


No that has already being announced

The rumour I have heard is EY is considering upgrading from 789 to 77W
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4735
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 pm

qf789 wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EY B77W upgauge ;)

EK413

Not CX swapping the A330 for A350?


No that has already being announced

The rumour I have heard is EY is considering upgrading from 789 to 77W


Hmm, okay that will only leave QF upgauge their daily QF71 PER-SIN service to A330 equipment year round?

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
SonOfABeech
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Probably too early to know for sure, but any idea how the Socceroos will get to SAP?
 
User avatar
SJL
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:01 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
Not CX swapping the A330 for A350?


No that has already being announced

The rumour I have heard is EY is considering upgrading from 789 to 77W


Hmm, okay that will only leave QF upgauge their daily QF71 PER-SIN service to A330 equipment year round?

EK413


I could see SQ bring the A350 to PER, or even combine two of the four daily flights into one, operated with a 773 or 77W. The 772 fleet continues to decline in numbers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos