KarelXWB

Re: AF66 CDG-LAX (A388-F-HPJE) diverts to Goose Bay (YYR) with an uncontained engine failure to #4 engine

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:11 am

The investigators are lucky:

Some missing parts from #AF66, which lost an engine fan and inlet over Greenland, have been spotted on the ice sheet by helicopter and plans under way to recover them, BEA says

https://twitter.com/ReutersAero/status/ ... 8125564928
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

77west

Re: AF66 CDG-LAX (A388-F-HPJE) diverts to Goose Bay (YYR) with an uncontained engine failure to #4 engine

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:30 am

KarelXWB wrote:

Some missing parts from #AF66, which lost an engine fan and inlet over Greenland, have been spotted on the ice sheet by helicopter and plans under way to recover them, BEA says

That is pretty quick to find, well done to the recovery team.
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

Revelation

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 pm

SAAFNAV wrote:
That schematic is from the Trent 900 (the three spools give it away), but the part might have the same purpose.

Thanks for catching that. I did a google search on GP7200 and did not check the results carefully enough.

SAAFNAV wrote:
Might it be a driveshaft for the accessory drive?

Just a guess, but I was thinking it might have something to do with moving the thrust reversers into position?
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

SAAFNAV

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 pm

SAAFNAV wrote:
Might it be a driveshaft for the accessory drive?

Just a guess, but I was thinking it might have something to do with moving the thrust reversers into position?[/quote]

Not on the outboard engines on the A380.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

Finn350

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:29 pm

It looks like the shaft is related to engine mechanical power transmission as stated earlier

https://www.safran-transmission-systems ... hadowbox=1

ikolkyo

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:31 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

Can't wait to see some pictures, that'd be very interesting to see how they broke up.

pugman211

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Revelation wrote:
pugman211 wrote:
I'm just curious here, but the centre part of the engine is the fan hub nut correct? So the part we can see where the fan sheared off, is that the part that would normally rotate? If it is, then does that mean the shaft is bent/bearing seized, which you would expect really considering the forces involved losing the fan and surrounding area etc. I ask because if a fan can rotate from the wind blowing it, surely it should of changed position during flight. Does that make sense?

The seizure theory is one theory. Another theory is a materials failure ie microscopic deficiency leads to crack forming and then catastrophic failure.

Just to be clear, I don't think the seizure theory is the cause, I believe like others, that this could be a material failure that lead to a crack forming. But I am curious if the engine has infact seized or not, hence why I asked if the part that is sheared off should normally rotate or not.

Thanks for your replies though.

Pug

lowbank

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:37 pm

pugman211 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
pugman211 wrote:
I'm just curious here, but the centre part of the engine is the fan hub nut correct? So the part we can see where the fan sheared off, is that the part that would normally rotate? If it is, then does that mean the shaft is bent/bearing seized, which you would expect really considering the forces involved losing the fan and surrounding area etc. I ask because if a fan can rotate from the wind blowing it, surely it should of changed position during flight. Does that make sense?

The seizure theory is one theory. Another theory is a materials failure ie microscopic deficiency leads to crack forming and then catastrophic failure.

Just to be clear, I don't think the seizure theory is the cause, I believe like others, that this could be a material failure that lead to a crack forming. But I am curious if the engine has infact seized or not, hence why I asked if the part that is sheared off should normally rotate or not.

Pug

I have sat through loads of investigation presentations and normally it's not just one cause/reason engines fail like this. Now this could be one that's away from the norm and it's a single cause. It should be a quick investigation if that is the case. Especially if they get both halves of the disc that failed.
The investigators will already know if the engine still turns and will have ruled it in or out.
They may have already ruled in or out material fatigue failure. It's a very obvious failure mode if the crack has not been too damaged during the failure event.
What surprises me is, if they thought it was that, I would have expected immediate inspections either to be done voluntarily or if not be instructed.

I think we might just find it's a more complicated failure than just metal fatigue.

I am watching with great interest for the first news from the investigators.
Every days a school day.

kalvado

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:12 pm

lowbank wrote:
They may have already ruled in or out material fatigue failure. It's a very obvious failure mode if the crack has not been too damaged during the failure event.
What surprises me is, if they thought it was that, I would have expected immediate inspections either to be done voluntarily or if not be instructed.

If I was running AF maintence department, I would definitely be looking at the way to check suspicious spot on other engines. It may be an inconclusive inspection, and may be easier to say than actually do such a thing, but if at least something may be done....

lowbank

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:20 pm

I am fairly sure there will be some very high level discussions going on.
Every days a school day.

Revelation

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Reuters gives us a one-liner:

BRIEF-France says parts of ruptured Air France A380 engine spotted

... but no details ...

sgbroimp

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Revelation wrote:
Reuters gives us a one-liner:

BRIEF-France says parts of ruptured Air France A380 engine spotted

... but no details ...

Hope that is correct and that they find them all. The Sioux City Investigation only went into gear when the farmer found the engine parts. And this may be the really lucky part: The fact that this flight was west coast bound took it over Greenland. If this had been bound for JFK or other east coast airports, those parts would be in the drink because we almost never fly that far north (I do the JFK run a lot).

kalvado

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:28 pm

lowbank wrote:
I am fairly sure there will be some very high level discussions going on.

Of course there will be; but inspecting other engines for signs of similar failure has to be part of it regardless. After all, discussion must be based on some data - and if data says engines got some problems...

ssteve

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:48 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41515516 "Air France engine debris found in Greenland" 95mi SE of Paamiut... lucky. They were over the Atlantic much more than they were over Greenland.

sgbroimp

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 pm

ssteve wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41515516 "Air France engine debris found in Greenland" 95mi SE of Paamiut... lucky. They were over the Atlantic much more than they were over Greenland.

And even then, they were not far over Greenland mainland at all, looking at the map. Lots of incredible luck on this one.

Theseus

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing the picture of the debris. That will be interesting to see...

pugman211

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm

lowbank wrote:
pugman211 wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Pug

I have sat through loads of investigation presentations and normally it's not just one cause/reason engines fail like this. Now this could be one that's away from the norm and it's a single cause. It should be a quick investigation if that is the case. Especially if they get both halves of the disc that failed.
The investigators will already know if the engine still turns and will have ruled it in or out.

I think we might just find it's a more complicated failure than just metal fatigue.

I am watching with great interest for the first news from the investigators.

Thank you for your input lowbank. Greatly appreciated.

RJWNL

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
ssteve wrote:

And even then, they were not far over Greenland mainland at all, looking at the map. Lots of incredible luck on this one.

But was it a complete coincidence? If the engine failed when thrust was increased to climb to a higher level, it could be very logical they did so over Greenland to meet an ATC restriction flying over the ocean to Canada?

KarelXWB

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Several photos of the recovered debris have been released.

The investigators are extremely lucky the debris didn't end up in sea.

https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/916336247752323072
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

sgbroimp

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Now who and what aircraft goes in to retrieve?

gatibosgru

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:28 pm

That looks remote AF! Glad they were lucky enough to find AND retrieve the debris!
@DadCelo

sgbroimp

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:44 pm

More than likely there will be a mapping of what the parts are and in which order the hit the ground as that might help tell them what failed first. If so, there may be a wait until these are pulled out of there.

lowbank

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:52 pm

The photos look like parts of the fan case, it's the fan they need. Hope they find it soon.
Every days a school day.

mcg

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:35 pm

keesje wrote:
WIederling wrote:
UAL747422 wrote:

Agreed. Although, the 777 can travel on one engine for a couple of hours.

Every ETOPS ( ICAO/EASA/FAA defnition) Twin is supposed to do that.

It's not so much one engine going poeff. This happening on a twin, I would listen & watch the remaining engine as if my life depended on it. I would wonder why #1 failed, something obviously went wrong. Is that something relevant for #2? On a polar ETOPS 330 flight..

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=uncontained+engine+failure&FORM=HDRSC2

Your life would depend on the remaining engine.

Theseus

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:43 pm

lowbank wrote:
The photos look like parts of the fan case, it's the fan they need. Hope they find it soon.

Is the first one not a blade ? Probably less interesting for the investigation than the fan axis would be, but finding and mapping these parts may help find more...

lowbank

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Based on the size of the blokes boot, no
Every days a school day.

Tugger

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:05 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
ssteve wrote:

Yes, looking at the map that is the edge, I am wondering "how far east, how far south" as the pictures look like it is on the larger ice sheet.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

sgbroimp

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 pm

keesje wrote:
WIederling wrote:
UAL747422 wrote:

Agreed. Although, the 777 can travel on one engine for a couple of hours.

It's not so much one engine going poeff. This happening on a twin, I would listen & watch the remaining engine as if my life depended on it. I would wonder why #1 failed, something obviously went wrong. Is that something relevant for #2? On a polar ETOPS 330 flight..

Yes, twin losing an engine would be a blood pressure booster. That is why I seek out the 4 holers for trips over the drink. Odds are good on a twin, but I like the 4's a lot better, period.

ikolkyo

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:21 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
keesje wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Yes, twin losing an engine would be a blood pressure booster. That is why I seek out the 4 holers for trips over the drink. Odds are good on a twin, but I like the 4's a lot better, period.

Well 4 holers aren't going to be around much longer, soon your only choice is going to be an A380 or LH748

Jayafe

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:54 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
Well 4 holers aren't going to be around much longer, soon your only choice is going to be an A380 or LH748

IB's A340s are still going to be around for a while :)

ikolkyo

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Jayafe wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

We'll see how long they last, IB starts getting A350s next year to replace the A346.

Jayafe

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:01 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
We'll see how long they last, IB starts getting A350s next year to replace the A346.

They just got retrofitted and put Y+ into the market, plus the high&hot needs of IB destinations and delivery slots for the A359s and A330s, you can expect 5-7 years minimum flying.

AirlineCritic

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:08 am

KarelXWB wrote:

If this is a not a fan, what is it?

Tedd

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:31 am

AirlineCritic wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

It could be a mamuth's tusk......or a fan blade!

pabloeing

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 am

Jayafe wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

2020 will be his last year for a while of IB A346......

WIederling

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:25 am

Tedd wrote:

ground flat to work for moving air :-)

GP7 fan: metal or plastic fan blades? IMU the fragment looks like a segment of the leading edge a fan blade?
Murphy is an optimist

Tedd

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:42 am

WIederling wrote:
Tedd wrote:

ground flat to work for moving air :-)

GP7 fan: metal or plastic fan blades? IMU the fragment looks like a segment of the leading edge a fan blade?

Hollow titaniun blades, so one-piece. The GP7200 is built around a .72 scale GE90 110B/115B core, & PW fan & low pressure system.

lowbank

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 am

Having had a second look, I have to disagree with myself.

Yes, it certainly appears to be a piece of fan blade. Cannot say if leading edge or trailing edge. You can see it's two pieces joined together so yes it's a piece of fan blade.
Every days a school day.

JoergAtADN

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:44 pm

AirlineCritic wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

If this is a fan blade, than the airplane was A380 model airplane scaled 1:5.

Just compare the size of this metal part with the shoe of the photographer.

Jörg

WIederling

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:20 pm

JoergAtADN wrote:

nobody said it was a complete fan blade, with price tag still attached. :-)
Murphy is an optimist

OldAeroGuy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 pm

RJWNL wrote:

But was it a complete coincidence? If the engine failed when thrust was increased to climb to a higher level, it could be very logical they did so over Greenland to meet an ATC restriction flying over the ocean to Canada?

What ATC restriction? Airplanes, including Twins, fly over oceans all the time for Canadian destinations. Besides, the original destination was LAX.

The A380 was over Greenland as that routing is close to the great circle (shortest) path.
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

Theseus

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:02 pm

JoergAtADN wrote:

Jörg

Oh, I had not recognised this as a shoe before reading your message. :-)
On the other hand, given what it went through (the fan case probably...), it could be just a fragment of a blade.

I looked a bit at the diagram and do not see what other part it could be. Any idea ?

lowbank

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:26 pm

JoergAtADN wrote:
AirlineCritic wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

Jörg

I didn't think it was a piece of Fan blade until I looked at on my iPad instead of my phone.

I think it is a piece fan blade. What makes me think that is the shape of the radiused edge. Also I see that it is made from two pieces of titanium diffusion bonded together.

I did spend several years working on making Fan blades.

There not many parts diffusion bonded together on an engine so I am 99% sure.
Every days a school day.

RJWNL

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 pm

OldAeroGuy wrote:

What ATC restriction? Airplanes, including Twins, fly over oceans all the time for Canadian destinations. Besides, the original destination was LAX.

The A380 was over Greenland as that routing is close to the great circle (shortest) path.

I was thinking they would be talking to some ATC station in Greenland and swich to Gander ATC once over the ocean but it seems most crossings over Greenland are controlled procedurally from Reykjavik except for the very South which is controlled by Gander(?).
Thus if they did just start a climb this probably wouldn't have anything to do with Greenland and having to be at a certain flightlevel before joining Gander. The parts falling over land would be a lucky coincidence indeed... Just saying that in aviation what might seem a coincidence at first could be the result of the procedures followed.

sgbroimp

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:26 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
sgbroimp wrote:
keesje wrote:

Yep, them's what I fly when I can.

LamboAston

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 am

Are they going to longline those larger parts out underneath a helicopter?
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

Catfry

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm

there's a three day old article in danish describing a bit about the search (selected bits below, my translation):

https://knr.gl/da/nyheder/air-greenland ... dlandsisen

Det fortæller Martin Puggaard, chef for Havarikommissionen i Danmark.
- Vores opgave er at finde og bjærge de dele fra flyet, som har forladt flyet. De skal efterfølgende sendes til de franske myndigheder, som har det overordnede ansvar for undersøgelsen, siger han til KNR.
Onsdag lykkedes det personale fra Air Greenland at finde flere dele af motoren på Indlandsisen, 150 kilometer sydøst for Paamiut.
Umiddelbart kan det lyde som at lede efter en isklump i et isbjerg, men ved at analysere de tilgængelige fakta, er det lykkedes for Havarikommissionen at indsnævre området til i første omgang fem gange femten kilometer.
- Vi har lavet en analyse af flyets rute, højde og vindhastighed og på den baggrund har vi lokaliseret et område, hvor vi har ledt, siger Puggaard.
Onsdag sendte Air Greenland så en AS350 afsted, og det lykkedes piloterne at finde frem til en række dele fra flyet. Men der mangler stadig at blive fundet de resterende dele, og det er i øjeblikket besværliggjort af dårligt vejr i området.

Says Martin Puggaard, chief for the danish accident investigation board:
"Our task is to find an recover those parts which have departed the plane. They are subsequently to be sent to the french authorities, who have the primary responsibility for the investigation".
wednesday, personnel from Air Greenland succeded in finding several pieces of the engine on the inland icecap, 150 km southeast of Paamiut.
At first blush it might sound like finding a icecube in an iceberg, but by analyzing available data it has been possible to for the AIB to narrow the area to about five by fifteen km at first pass.
"We have made an analysis of the planes route, height and wind speed, and on that background we determined an area where we have searched", says Puggaard.
Wedesday Air Greenland sent a AS250, and the pilots succeeded in finding some parts of the plane. But there still remains to be found the rest , and at the moment the weather is hampering the search.

Revelation

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Catfry wrote:
there's a three day old article in danish describing a bit about the search (selected bits below, my translation):

Thank you for the translation, it is much appreciated.

richierich

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Amazing...they can find a 1m long piece of a fan blade which exited a cruising aircraft at 38,000ft and landed on an Arctic shelf of ice, but we still cannot locate a missing airliner on the other side of the planet.
None shall pass!!!!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:27 pm

richierich wrote:
Amazing...they can find a 1m long piece of a fan blade which exited a cruising aircraft at 38,000ft and landed on an Arctic shelf of ice, but we still cannot locate a missing airliner on the other side of the planet.

It would have been very easy to find that missing airliner if it was on top of a white snow covered ice sheet....

They will not likely find any of the parts that impacted the water - or penetrated the ice and sank.

Have a great day,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos