airlineguy

Most Economical Aircraft

Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:41 am

If you were to start an airline and have it's base/HUB @ IND and serve cities such as: DTW, MDY, MKE, DSM, CLE, ATL, & MCI. What type of aircraft would be the most economical and profitable? Your thoughts?

My thoughts: Saab 340 or Dash 8

ILuvYak40

RE: Most Economical Aircraft

Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:51 am

Although at this point I highly doubt the sanity of anybody who wants to hub an airline out of IND  Big grin (having lived there for six years), I would anyways recommend the Saab 340. If you want to snag more pax with the regional jets (many don't like flying props), I'd personally head for the ERJ family.

airlineguy

Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:04 am

When did you live in IND? Its grown alot in the last few years. It has alot of corp headquaters here. ie...Conseco, Lillys to name a couple. Plus IND is a growing airport itsself.

ILuvYak40

Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:29 am

Airlineguy -

Right now I live in Cleveland. When I did live in Indianapolis, I lived just north of Carmel (outer suburb).

And you're right, IND does have quite a few major corporations (I was kind of joking around when I mocked your hub idea  Smile ). Hopefully once the midfield terminal is completed in a few years (I believe they have already broken ground for it!) IND will blossom as a central US hub... great location to US population centers, and fairly cheap airport fees as compared to other major airports.

Also, IND has a large (1.7 million people) and quickly growing metropolitan area. Of course, most of this growth is coming from Hamilton County, which is doubling in size every 10 years.  Smile I'm sure O&D won't be a problem if we get enough Hoosiers to fly.  Laugh out loud

airlineguy

Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:57 am

Yes the mid field terminal broke grown this past Aug.