don0245

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Yawn, going back to bed! I expected a heck of a lot more than black and white.
No creativity at LH??

KLDC10

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 pm

na wrote:
[Right.

And not to forget, the beloved "Spiegelei" was always an oddity in the LH Design world. It was used nowhere else than on the airplanes. No matter how important and sympathetic - it was an oddity.

Indeed. I wrote earlier in the thread that it is quite hard to distinguish the circle of the Kranich when the logo is applied to the Spiegelei. Of course, we know that the circle is blue, but to the average onlooker, I suspect the outer yellow circle is more noticeable. As recognizable as the Spiegelei is, it wasn't a particularly good brand application.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

infinit

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 pm

VC10er wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Imagine if Singapore cropped the Crane? That would be a mistake of epic proportion. Yet, while totally 70’s in its design- the Crain is just as contemporary as it needs to be because it stands for so much more.

I agree with your point fully but just pointing out that Singapore Airline's logo is more of a handle of a keris dagger that resembles a bird than it is a bird, yet alone a crane specifically. Just saying :P

holcakker

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm

BobMUC wrote:
I like this photo of both planes together in Munich:

https://www.facebook.com/Aeronews.ro/ph ... 26/?type=3

MUC and FRA will be quite a dull place in a few years.

bmacleod

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Agree it was time for a new livery but I miss the yellow in the tail emblem.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

gzm

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:03 pm

It gives the impression that somebody turned off the lights. Why was this necessary? But after all,it is their airline not mine...
Can you imagine if the Olympic rings were stamped all-white on the tail? What would you say?
Some people do not realize that a tail is not a lapel or uniform you can put a pin on.
Last edited by gzm on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EChid

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:03 pm

richiemo wrote:
Yet another classic livery flushed down the toilet - change for the sake of change. This is ugly, drab and souless. You'll no longer know a Lufthansa plane from far off in the distance. It'll look like a freighter jet. All blue and white. Could it be more drab. This may be worse than Delta's dull and drab 2007 livery. What a shame. A timeless classic gone. Air Canada's blue and Lufthansa's blue and orange, all gone the same year. Pity.

Are people still upset about Air Canada's change? It wasn't 'classic'. It was a thoroughly 2000s design that didn't age especially well (I remember thinking that it was pretty unappealing/insipid well before the change). It was unique, yes, but not pretty (aside from the expensive tail detail). The new AC scheme is much more 'classic' than the previous one because it reflects a bunch of their previous liveries, whereas the 2005 toothpaste one did not. How many hours did people spend on the forums of 2005 whinging about their blue scheme then, you think?

At least with Lufthansa you can claim that it was a 'classic' design because it had existed for more than 12 years.

dennypayne

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:43 pm

BobMUC wrote:

I think it looks better on the smaller A321 - not quite so much overwhelming "whiteness."
My hovercraft is full of eels.

787Driver

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm

dennypayne wrote:
BobMUC wrote:

I think it looks better on the smaller A321 - not quite so much overwhelming "whiteness."

For the same reason, I think it will look better on the A380. Massive tail and relatively short plane compared to the part that will be painted.

shamrock350

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm in two minds about this, the overall brand refresh has been done very well and will go down as a classic example of how to refine your current image and successfully take it in a new direction but the execution of the livery is poor, it's been overthought and oversimplified to the point of almost not existing. All that effort and work only to end up with nothing more than a white plane with a dark tail? It misses the mark in my opinion.

I don't think the livery needs yellow but it does need something, I'm just not sure what.

seahawk

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 pm

I thought about that as well. But whatever I tried it did not look better. The only thing that would add a touch of colour without making the overall design unbalanced would be a blue crane on the engines.

shamrock350

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm

I think the official draft designs shown here gave them plenty to work with which is why I'm even more disappointed with what they eventually produced.

The branding itself seems to have been done well, making yellow an accent colour, refining the Kranich and deepening the blue all work very well but it doesn't translate on the livery.

Clipper101

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:12 pm

I figure they kept it straightforward & simple composed of only two colours so to make the paint job more economical; costing them less in paint, painting material & work manhours ! A smart move if you ask me.

holzmann

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:39 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
I think the official draft designs shown here gave them plenty to work with which is why I'm even more disappointed with what they eventually produced.

The branding itself seems to have been done well, making yellow an accent colour, refining the Kranich and deepening the blue all work very well but it doesn't translate on the livery.

Looking at that, it came down to hot pink (hello Qantas!) and different shades of blue. Heck, I see an all-white livery in there too. I also see variations of complete and broken circles of the logo on the tail, just as a few members here proposed. I also see a few where the crane fills the lower portion of the AC, just as proposed by users here. One thing is for certain is that yellow was out of all of the concepts. Don't see it.

In conclusion: the members of this forum are better artists than whichever firm did the concepts for LH.

holzmann

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Though I am curious why we didn't add yellow to these fine examples...

JulietteBravo

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:54 pm

seahawk wrote:
I thought about that as well. But whatever I tried it did not look better. The only thing that would add a touch of colour without making the overall design unbalanced would be a blue crane on the engines.

I had a similar thought. But finally i come to my personal conclusion: The design is superb - what is missing: a little german flag on the upper part of the tail fin (line an immatriculation)

redcap1962

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

Even Spohr is wearing yellow socks at the unveiling ceremony this evening.

Any evidence that he did? Photos, footage...? :bouncy:

sandyb123

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Yawn yawn double yawn. This is one of the most retrograde livery changes I have ever seen. Design is subjective... I get that, but the blue and yellow LH tail is iconic the world over. I don't think that this shines a light anywhere near it.

Does anyone know if the belly has any kind of Lufthansa reference on it for those looking up (ala Virgin, Emirates, Qantas etc).

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

BojamDelta

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 pm

When I first saw it I thought it may have been a BA style hybrid (Landor to world tail) livery before the grand unveiling
of the real new livery!!
Disappointed, looks under cooked without a bit of yellow.

Bo)am

MarkusMUC

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm

I didn't like the livery days before.
Meanwhile I like it.
It is elegant and classic. In my view it is a good idea to give the colour blue a more important role.

BobMUC

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:34 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

Even Spohr is wearing yellow socks at the unveiling ceremony this evening.

Any evidence that he did? Photos, footage...? :bouncy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ3u2UqmuZs

Go to 31:57

sixtyseven

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:02 am

I think it’s fantastic. Clean, crisp. The yellow was nice but I don’t think it’s required. Big thumbs up
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

325i

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 am

Hi Folks, quite a disparate collection of opinions.
Personally I like the new rendition ,moving with times.
Now on this note would the boards of Aer Lingus, Austrian and Singapore sit down and "move with the times".
I realise that the above suggestion will be off thread but worthy of comments.
Cheers 325i.

TAP343

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 am

#BringBackTheYellow

redcap1962

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 am

Make Yellow Great AGAIN!

hongkongflyer

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:26 am

BojamDelta wrote:
When I first saw it I thought it may have been a BA style hybrid (Landor to world tail) livery before the grand unveiling
of the real new livery!!

Bo)am

No, they have a stupid yellow label next to door L1 to welcome you on board.

EK413

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:48 am

Anyone able to photo shop these images of the now demised iconic symbol of LH (I'll miss this sight) with the new bland livery.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

N415XJ

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:56 am

shamrock350 wrote:

Incredible... they managed to pick the most bland and uninspiring scheme out of a sea of bland and uninspiring schemes.

Also, I can't help but get very strong Syrian Air vibes from most of the tails...

N415XJ

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:56 am

EDIT: Double post. Sorry.

ro1960

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:59 am

BobMUC wrote:

I'm not thrilled by the new livery but I don't dislike it. However it makes it less recognizable from afar.

coachclass

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:30 am

Horrible, no imagination, FEDEX .

Jamake1

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:40 am

holcakker wrote:

This is the best response yet to LH’s new livery. Well said.
Come fly the sun.

JannEejit

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 am

BojamDelta wrote:
of the real new livery!!

Bo)am

I wondered that too, it also reminded me of the new American livery prior to reveal when pics appeared of their pre-delivery 77W in base grey fuselage and white tail. Imagine if that had remained the actual livery ? Possibly still more interesting than Lufthansa mind you ! ;-)

JannEejit

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 am

325i wrote:
Now on this note would the boards of Aer Lingus, Austrian and Singapore sit down and "move with the times".
Cheers 325i.

Funnily enough Aer Lingus did have a short term lease 767 in an all white livery (EI-CAM), with a simple white shamrock on a green tail and Aer Lingus texts, at a time when other leases (L-1011, MD-11) received the full paint job. IIRC it was actively being considered by the Aer Lingus board for the rest of the fleet before being discounted. I suppose IAG could have their way yet...

Braybuddy

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:10 am

N415XJ wrote:
Incredible... they managed to pick the most bland and uninspiring scheme out of a sea of bland and uninspiring schemes.

This has clearly been a process of consultation, discussion and elimination over a very long time. I see where you're coming from, and I can understand why some of the alternative liveries posted on here might be popular (particularly with aviation geeks), Lufthansa clearly wanted a break with the past without dumping their whole identity. The Lufthansa design team are not a bunch of amateurs who sat down and drew a design on the back of a napkin and handed it to the board and said "this is what we're going for". They know the airline inside out and its mindset, and the image they want to project. They clearly had a lot of alternatives, which probably initially looked nice -- like some renditions on here -- but after much consultation and discussion and a process of elimination, arrived at the current design. They obviously decided that the yellow was dragging the brand downmarket, yet didn't want to dump it completely as it has been an important part of their identity. So they cleverly reduced it to flashes and "surprises", which, IMHO, is the master stroke of this whole revamp. No other airline has done this before (as far as I know). As I've said before, reducing it actually makes it more noticeable. I'm not a huge fan this minimalist look, but in some cases it works (particularly Qantas and Air France), however it looks incredibly smart in this livery, given the dark shade of blue and the way it's applied (with the white strip at the front of the tail and they way the blue separates and flows down the back of the fuselage). Given that new liveries generally get a roasting on here, the way it has been received has been remarkably positive. How many times have you heard "I didn't like it at first, but now it's starting to grow on me" on these forums? I think this is what will happen here. I'll bet my yellow socks on it . . . :D

787Driver

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:36 am

Braybuddy wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

This has clearly been a process of consultation, discussion and elimination over a very long time. I see where you're coming from, and I can understand why some of the alternative liveries posted on here might be popular (particularly with aviation geeks), Lufthansa clearly wanted a break with the past without dumping their whole identity. The Lufthansa design team are not a bunch of amateurs who sat down and drew a design on the back of a napkin and handed it to the board and said "this is what we're going for". They know the airline inside out and its mindset, and the image they want to project. They clearly had a lot of alternatives, which probably initially looked nice -- like some renditions on here -- but after much consultation and discussion and a process of elimination, arrived at the current design. They obviously decided that the yellow was dragging the brand downmarket, yet didn't want to dump it completely as it has been an important part of their identity. So they cleverly reduced it to flashes and "surprises", which, IMHO, is the master stroke of this whole revamp. No other airline has done this before (as far as I know). As I've said before, reducing it actually makes it more noticeable. I'm not a huge fan this minimalist look, but in some cases it works (particularly Qantas and Air France), however it looks incredibly smart in this livery, given the dark shade of blue and the way it's applied (with the white strip at the front of the tail and they way the blue separates and flows down the back of the fuselage). Given that new liveries generally get a roasting on here, the way it has been received has been remarkably positive. How many times have you heard "I didn't like it at first, but now it's starting to grow on me" on these forums? I think this is what will happen here. I'll bet my yellow socks on it . . . :D

I think you are right. This is another case of less is more.

I am starting to like it more already, however I would have loved to see the same livery where they had kept the dark blue colour from the previous livery to compare that with the almost black colour they decided on.

I think many liveries proposed here look unprofessional or are too busy and would not appeal to the premium market Lufthansa wants to attract.

Also interesting how not many people criticise the Qantas livery when it's pretty much identical to the LH one, but red instead of dark blue.

seahawk

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:44 am

If you want a branding that is consistent over all application the livery is good. And liveries that cut the circle around the crane or even remove the circle won´t work due to that. Imho the new tail logo is fine, illuminated at night it will work better than the old one, so you would need to keep that and add some yellow to it. The only barely good idea imho is a small yellow strip in front of the blue, like the stripes on a pilot uniform.

TC957

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 am

Can one of you clever graphic designers come up with a scheme where the tail circle is in the colours of the German flag and a thin dividing cheatline between the blue rear end and white fuselage is also in the colours of the German flag ?
Just curious how that'll look.
Thanks

EPA001

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm

holcakker wrote:

For sure they will be more lively and classy in few years. :)

MarkusMUC wrote:
I didn't like the livery days before.
Meanwhile I like it.
It is elegant and classic. In my view it is a good idea to give the colour blue a more important role.

I completely agree. And as I ave stated earlier, we will get used to the new livery quite fast, and the customers will get even more accustomed to the new branding of the whole LH-product. My guess is it will be highly appreciated quite soon.

Braybuddy wrote:

Very well said! :highfive:

shamrock350

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:36 pm

325i wrote:
Cheers 325i.

Hands off Aer Lingus!

It needs a refresh but I'd hate to see them lose the current Shamrock design or green top livery, a eurowhite livery would be a backward step for them. Interestingly, both KLM and Aer Lingus have followed a similar path when it comes to livery evolution, KLM have tweaked their's more often but both remain along the same lines.

Would anyone suggest KLM "move with the times" or have they done enough to keep their livery fresh?

Lufthansa has stayed true to their brand with this refresh, while the livery is lacklustre in quantity, it's unashamedly Lufthansa in detail. I'd hope any update to Aer Lingus, KLM or even Singapore Airlines would follow the same process, a refresh that modernises but remains true to their roots and company direction.

LTU932

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:01 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Would anyone suggest KLM "move with the times" or have they done enough to keep their livery fresh?
KL already revised its livery.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

shamrock350

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:43 pm

LTU932 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
KL already revised its livery

I should have clarified I'd already included the latest update in my thinking. Not that I'm a particular fan of this droop of the cheat line.

Braybuddy

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:25 pm

holcakker wrote:
BobMUC wrote:

If you were to compare it to education, they will look more like universities, and less like nursery schools. :smile:

One of the reasons I’m so thrilled with this new look is that, going on previous form, I only every believed that any changes to Lufthansa’s livery would be very gradual and very minimal. On previous occasions I’ve said that I’d love to see the Kranich reworked, and when I first saw this design I thought that would be a nice touch. But I see what the design team were doing now so am perfectly happy to go along with that. It looks SO smart now, rendered in pure white on that dark blue background. You just have to forget that you expect to see yellow. :bigthumbsup:

redcap1962

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:37 pm

A friend drew my attention to this: Go to FR24, click FRA airport and see the small arr/dep columns on the left. There is a mix of the LH-symbol now. Spiegelei on roughly 60% of all LH flights gone, the area within circle with the crane inside beeing white. There are exceptions though, and all LH-CityLine flights (E190, CRJ9) have the Spiegelei still. The new symbols also come with the new font which apperars clearly slimmer.

Similar at MUC, HAM, TXL.

Work in progress it seems...

PS: Which source is that photo in #1012 from??? Sadly this guy is in front and it is quite a bit out of focus...

PPS: The square yellow "welcome" badge seems to be only at L1 on both A321 & 748.
Mr. Spohr, am I not welcome, when I board your aircraft through a door behind L1...?
:roll:

Braybuddy

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:20 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
PS: Which source is that photo in #1012 from??? Sadly this guy is in front and it is quite a bit out of focus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoLWB3F ... tu.be&t=85

Kno

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:46 pm

The new livery is awful. They really had an opportunity here to do something great and blew it. Bland and cheap is the impression I get.

why is it that we live in an era where airline executives and marketing departments have absolutely no taste?

The only new livery I've liked is ACs, which ironically most people here seem to dislike.

stylo777

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:48 pm

I was just following D-AISP on FR24. It was deployed to MAD on LH1122/23 rotation which involves an OVN in MAD.
What surprised me the most that LH1122 arrives around 8pm and LH1123 departs next morning around 8.30am which in overall is a layover of 12 hours (!!!).
This is certainly very long for a shorthaul flight, isn't it?

ooh and I like the new livery and it looks the best on the 321 in my opinion.

767333ER

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:17 pm

787Driver wrote:
767333ER wrote:
I know I said I wasn’t much of a fan of blue/yellow colour combos, but at the same time, this final version of my edit to the livery makes it look much better.

This is okay, instead of the oversized logo someone else suggested.

I do think that the blue color they decided on is just a tad too dark.

I agree it’s betger than the oversized logo because that also looks cheap for the kind of look they were going for, but the blue sometimes also looks black of purple and isn’t a very distinctive shade of blue.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

787Driver

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:25 pm

767333ER wrote:
787Driver wrote:
767333ER wrote:
I know I said I wasn’t much of a fan of blue/yellow colour combos, but at the same time, this final version of my edit to the livery makes it look much better.

This is okay, instead of the oversized logo someone else suggested.

I do think that the blue color they decided on is just a tad too dark.

I agree it’s betger than the oversized logo because that also looks cheap for the kind of look they were going for, but the blue sometimes also looks black of purple and isn’t a very distinctive shade of blue.

Agreed. I think the blue color they decided on is slightly too dark.

jworks158

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

I couldn't agree more with you, that being said I do have a few more notes to add. On the subject of the yellow surprise, I feel like the welcome aboard square of yellow should be present on all doors that are used for boarding, especially on the long haul aircraft. Being from BOS where they only use the second door for boarding on the 748.

While scrolling through here today, I had a yellow surprise moment. It was in the form of advertisement on the side of my screen, (can't seem to get the screen shot to upload) though but it was a fantastic use of the new brand guidelines I and would love to see more of their brand reflect this style.

On the branding/livery note, I love there use of the yellow surprise. I find it adds a refreshing tone and pop to a clean and simple new brand. However I don't like the new livery on the 748. That being said I do like the new livery on the airbus models. Not too make this an airbus boeing discussion, but I like how the LH designers scaled the crane on the airbus models, where it sits lower on the tail. I also feel like there is still room for a surprise element on the exterior though I don't expect to see any changes.

Interestingly enough as many of you have said as I look back on the old livery, It does look old now. I think the majority of this is the use of gray.
Has anyone done a rendering of the old livery, mixed with the new as concept? What I mean by this is a rendering with the old blue, and the old yellow circle. Combined with the extended tail paint section into the fuselage, with the lowered crane.

Lastly I wanted to lament about a minor detail which I am surprised many of you haven't talked more about. This is the two letter plane code on the tail. With the new scheme which has a heavy focus on cleanliness I do understand that it needed to be removed, but it is something which made LH planes a lot easier to identify, and it will be missed.
Traveled on..
A359,A343,A319/320/321
744/748,762,752,732/737/738,717
E190,E145
CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200
MD-83

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos