andymartin
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Im sure this is an early April fool and the actual livery will be unveiled on the A321.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 2454
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 pm

How will this stand out at LHR or JFK vs the other Euro white liveries?
 
birdbrainz
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:57 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm

I love CandyMan's proposed livery.

The one rolled out by LH looks, dare I say it, more East German (DDR days). Yuck, Yuck, Yuck.

I see the UTA comparison way made, and it's a fair one, although UTA's has a big plus: the green doors.

Please bring the gold back, LH!
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.
 
MrBren
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:44 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:52 pm

A321 with new livery in CDG on Feb 8th.

Image
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1492
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 pm

That's pretty smart looking, I like it :) Looks much better IRL than in the CGI.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 pm

If you have 20 minutes to spare, there is a good video about the principles of the re-design:

https://youtu.be/liC1P6RUK-g
 
User avatar
GE90man
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 pm

seahawk wrote:
If you have 20 minutes to spare, there is a good video about the principles of the re-design:

https://youtu.be/liC1P6RUK-g


And if you understand German as well
 
rabenschlag
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:28 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm

seahawk wrote:
If you have 20 minutes to spare, there is a good video about the principles of the re-design:

https://youtu.be/liC1P6RUK-g


Why is this man wearing a scarf inside in 2018? Lost in time?
 
KLDC10
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 pm

seahawk wrote:
If you have 20 minutes to spare, there is a good video about the principles of the re-design:

https://youtu.be/liC1P6RUK-g


That is indeed an interesting video. I took a look at it a little earlier on (posted a couple of days ago). Particularly interesting is the section about the current un-disciplined application of the Kranich. It is important that a brand utilizes its primary symbol with discipline and consistency - I'm pleased to see that the designer is well aware of this problem and seeking to tackle it. He should be applauded for that!
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
blink182
Posts: 5336
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 1999 3:09 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
If you have 20 minutes to spare, there is a good video about the principles of the re-design:

https://youtu.be/liC1P6RUK-g


That is indeed an interesting video. I took a look at it a little earlier on (posted a couple of days ago). Particularly interesting is the section about the current un-disciplined application of the Kranich. It is important that a brand utilizes its primary symbol with discipline and consistency - I'm pleased to see that the designer is well aware of this problem and seeking to tackle it. He should be applauded for that!


I caught that bit as well, and how the Kranich is now seen across a whole variety of mediums throughout a customer’s journey that were unforeseen 30 years ago. He spoke a lot about yellow, and how it will be used for signage and other small cabin service items. LH owns yellow, and it helps to balance out the blue.

If I understood correctly, they aren’t going to senselessly spend a fortune rush the implementation and replace perfectly good cabin service items and airport architecture, given how this is more of an evolution.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...
 
KLDC10
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 pm

blink182 wrote:
I caught that bit as well, and how the Kranich is now seen across a whole variety of mediums throughout a customer’s journey that were unforeseen 30 years ago. He spoke a lot about yellow, and how it will be used for signage and other small cabin service items. LH owns yellow, and it helps to balance out the blue.

If I understood correctly, they aren’t going to senselessly spend a fortune rush the implementation and replace perfectly good cabin service items and airport architecture, given how this is more of an evolution.


Yes indeed, he talked about so-called "yellow surprises", and it looks like the boarding card will now be completely yellow too, which is a very nice touch. It looks like blue ticket counters are forthcoming though - but they looked very smart in the video.

Also interesting was his explanation for moving away from Helvetica - yes, it has to do with licensing costs, but also readability across a variety of applications. Although I am a huge fan of Helvetica, I do fully understand the reasoning behind his decision. And, let's face it, the new font is extremely close to Helvetica in any case.

Yes, that appeared to be the gist of his message. I'm also not a native German speaker, but I got most of what he was saying (who says learning German is a waste of time? ;) ). He spoke about a slow implementation, that the whole thing was a "work in progress". Of course, come Thursday, I think the biggest changes will be seen on the website, social media platforms and digital applications, which can all be very easily transferred to the new "premium" scheme.

I think that it is sometimes easy to forget that the branding process goes far beyond just colors on an airplane. This guy really seems to have thought everything through to the smallest (yellow) details. Not an easy task, but I think he's managed it rather well.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
Antarius
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:21 pm

The renderings looked ok. but the actual bird looks so dull, it is unreal.

It reminds me of this odd unfinished bird

Image
2017 :SIN |HKG |LAX |DFW |HOU |IAH |MAF |LBB |DCA |IAD |ORD |BOS |DEN |LHR |MAD |HNL |ITO |OGG |PHX |DOH |JHB |KUL |DEL |BLR |CDG |ORY |NRT |CGK |BTH |ICN |INV |ABZ |LCY |LTN |SFO |PHL |SJC |SLC |MIA |TPA |PBI |CLT |FLL |CUN
 
User avatar
Lilienthal
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 pm

I think we have to give it some time...

The more i look at it, the more i like it and the more outdated the old livery looks.
It's clean, the dark blue is strong and really makes the white crane pop out. This visually enlarged tail will be quite dominant on the apron... But still, i wish they would have found a way to work a little yellow into it somewhere (more than the weird little rectangle next to the door). All that white makes the "Lufthansa" up front seem pretty small and lonely.


The two videos posted are really interesting and everything certainly makes more sense when you let the designers explain their intensions. Shame its only in German so far.

Key points:
- Lufthansa doesn't really have one single principle color that stands for the brand, but too many (blue, yellow, white, grey, silver) preventing consistent logos and coherent brand presence

-Three principles guiding the rebranding: 1. Lufthansa wants to refocus on the premium market. 2. Digital fitness, coherent visual presence across all media devices. 3. Clarity, brand should always be recognizable and predictable

- Crane: No major changes, but thinner, less caged-in to appear more "premium" yada yada wank wank...

- Colors: combination of blue and yellow does not convey a premium look, neither does the color yellow alone so they went for blue as the leading color in the LH brand. Yellow, as an emotional color, will be used less often but in four very distinctive roles: Orientation (e.g. signs in terminals), distinction (e.g. uniform scarfs), activation (e.g. buttons on the web), yellow discovery (lol... supposed to be little accents of color to loosen it up when blue becomes too dominant e.g. chocolate wrappers, and i guess that's the reason behind the yellow rectangles at the main door...)

- Font: Helvetica not ideal for the digital domain. So they created their own font, heavily inspired by Helvetica. Font should look the same whether it's on an A380 or an Apple Watch.
 
User avatar
EPA001
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:35 pm

seahawk wrote:
If you have 20 minutes to spare, there is a good video about the principles of the re-design:

https://youtu.be/liC1P6RUK-g


Thanks for posting this. The whole thing they have undertaken makes a lot more sense now. I already liked what they have done to the outside skin of the aircraft, but the total package as explained in this video makes it even more convincing. All in all to me it seems like a job weel done by LH.
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:39 am

candyman1101 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome! Here is it is without the yellow line through the titles.

Image

Regards


Very nice. However, as this is Airliners.net (which I have been reading for over 10 years) this thread would be fill with posts like "more modern swooshy nonsense" and "bring back the cheatline!".

As per the actual livery, it's not bad (if it works for QF, it sould stand on its own with LH). I was never a fan of the not-so-current Lufthansa livery so I'm have mixed feelings here. At least it's not such a bloody nasty change as AC did when they got rid of the toothpaste livery :hot:
 
blink182
Posts: 5336
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 1999 3:09 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:59 am

I think one way to look at it is that despite LH being an airline, it realized that most interaction with the airline has very little to do with the outside of the airplane. I wouldn’t be surprised if they worked on digital channels, crew uniforms, airport signage, and cabin items+ interiors first, and then designed the aircraft’s livery last.

Shame that video doesn’t have subtitles, because it’s great insight into how branding works regardless of industry.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 4951
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 am

KLDC10 wrote:
And, let's face it, the new font is extremely close to Helvetica in any case.

I see what you did there... :lol:

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
User avatar
EPA001
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:34 am

blink182 wrote:
I think one way to look at it is that despite LH being an airline, it realized that most interaction with the airline has very little to do with the outside of the airplane. I wouldn’t be surprised if they worked on digital channels, crew uniforms, airport signage, and cabin items+ interiors first, and then designed the aircraft’s livery last.

Shame that video doesn’t have subtitles, because it’s great insight into how branding works regardless of industry.


In the video they explained it as a total package. All items showing LH's colours or the bird throughout the company have been reviewed. From the largest (A380) to the smallest item (which is a single character in the new font they chose for writing) which LH uses in the company worldwide. And all will be streamlined when it comes to appearance and corporate identity. Too bad if you don't understand the (imho beautiful) German language. The video really explains it all in a very conniving matter.
 
C010T3
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 am

EPA001 wrote:
blink182 wrote:
I think one way to look at it is that despite LH being an airline, it realized that most interaction with the airline has very little to do with the outside of the airplane. I wouldn’t be surprised if they worked on digital channels, crew uniforms, airport signage, and cabin items+ interiors first, and then designed the aircraft’s livery last.

Shame that video doesn’t have subtitles, because it’s great insight into how branding works regardless of industry.


In the video they explained it as a total package. All items showing LH's colours or the bird throughout the company have been reviewed. From the largest (A380) to the smallest item (which is a single character in the new font they chose for writing) which LH uses in the company worldwide. And all will be streamlined when it comes to appearance and corporate identity. Too bad if you don't understand the (imho beautiful) German language. The video really explains it all in a very conniving matter.


It's a great video and the rebranding project is good, but the new livery is where they made a mistake.

The yellow was an obstacle for the premium accent they want to achieve, but not on the livery. It's an issue on the upholstery they use, on the excessive use in the signage at aiports etc., but it could have remained on the tail.

It's funny that he mentioned the crane in different colors to be an issue. Having it alternate between blue and white will always be the case. Having a third with the tail version would not be an issue. It was just a question of retiring the yellow crane.
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2095
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 am

Hey, the new livery could've been worse. See China Eastern and Japan Airlines for bland liveries
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:47 am

You should be able to turn automatic English subtitles in the video.

One thing not mentioned in the video is the question what other firms people in Germany associated with yellow and blue. Popular answers include Ryanair and Lidl, both not linked to premium services. I must say I am fan of the rebranding. The use of yellow at the airport and on the digital outlets is great. The uniforms still look very much LH too. The livery makes sense in the regard, still I think I would have preferred a small yellow line in front of the blue at the tail.
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 am

It's typeface not font.
 
redcap1962
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:26 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am

Lilienthal wrote:
Yellow, as an emotional color, will be used less often but in four very distinctive roles: .... yellow discovery (lol... supposed to be little accents of color to loosen it up when blue becomes too dominant e.g. chocolate wrappers,...


Well, then there is hope their beer stays yellow, too :biggrin:
Or do they plan to stop offering it, since it's not a "premium"-drink...? :duck:
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 1542
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 am

Well, in all honesty, yes the video is great, and very..err..."convincing". Exactly. I mean, the issue is that when it takes a full 20-minute video to get convinced about the nature of the job that has just been accomplished, it can only mean one thing: that there is an obvious fail in the general outward appearance of said design. And this is precisely the case. People expected a little splash of yellow on the aircraft. Gold maybe? Silver even. But just blue and white? NO WAY.
The overall concept is great, the desire to move the brand more upmarket understandable, the streamlining of the use of the LH crane too, the need to appear consistent and professional.... This is all good. But then when it comes (when we actually see) the actual livery on the plane you just cannot deny that it looks very colourless, the lack of any [meaningful quantity] of yellow colour is shocking, the aircraft looks very bland, very white; the script in the forward fuselage looks small and isolated; lonely and loosely swimming in a sea of white. Then there's no evident application of the crane circle design in the forward part of the fuselage (huge mistake), nor on those white sad engines (colossal mistake - people would have loved to be "visually reassured" by the crane logo on the engine nacelles when flying).
All in all the work concept is good, but the livery is extremely poorly and unimaginatively executed. Big let down. Another great brand that has been abused and tampered with in the name of god knows what.
 
KLDC10
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Well, in all honesty, yes the video is great, and very..err..."convincing". Exactly. I mean, the issue is that when it takes a full 20-minute video to get convinced about the nature of the job that has just been accomplished, it can only mean one thing: that there is an obvious fail in the general outward appearance of said design. And this is precisely the case. People expected a little splash of yellow on the aircraft. Gold maybe? Silver even. But just blue and white? NO WAY.


Although, to be entirely fair, until the video was released, we hadn't had the chance to see how the new livery will fit into the overall branding application. All we had was a picture of a Boeing 747 wearing a new livery. The brand application as documented in the video provides the canvas onto which the new livery will be projected - so to speak. The full details will be released tomorrow, and we'll be able to examine the entire branding platform. The explanation is necessary now because we don't have the full picture yet - once we do, I think the branding will speak for itself.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
User avatar
Aeroflot777
Posts: 3115
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:15 am

KLDC10 wrote:
Also interesting was his explanation for moving away from Helvetica - yes, it has to do with licensing costs, but also readability across a variety of applications. Although I am a huge fan of Helvetica, I do fully understand the reasoning behind his decision. And, let's face it, the new font is extremely close to Helvetica in any case.


This font "change" interests me the most. Everyone keeps going on and on about a font change, yet my untrained eye can't see a darn difference. Almost makes it seem like a joke.

Is there some sort of comparison between the old Helvetica and what they decided on now? To name this a font change, sounds like a simple way to get out of paying license fees.
 
Airdolomiti
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 10:05 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am

seahawk wrote:
If you have 20 minutes to spare, there is a good video about the principles of the re-design:

https://youtu.be/liC1P6RUK-g


Certainly an interesting watch, thanks for sharing.

Funnily enough, at around the 16:36 mark, when they show an example of how the new typeface differs from the current Helvetica, the aircraft in the background appears to be neither a 747-8 nor even a Lufthansa (or Star Alliance) aircraft :) Looks like a 787, possibly in the old LAN livery, complete with a Oneword logo next to the door.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 1542
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 am

KLDC10 wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
Well, in all honesty, yes the video is great, and very..err..."convincing". Exactly. I mean, the issue is that when it takes a full 20-minute video to get convinced about the nature of the job that has just been accomplished, it can only mean one thing: that there is an obvious fail in the general outward appearance of said design. And this is precisely the case. People expected a little splash of yellow on the aircraft. Gold maybe? Silver even. But just blue and white? NO WAY.


Although, to be entirely fair, until the video was released, we hadn't had the chance to see how the new livery will fit into the overall branding application. All we had was a picture of a Boeing 747 wearing a new livery. The brand application as documented in the video provides the canvas onto which the new livery will be projected - so to speak. The full details will be released tomorrow, and we'll be able to examine the entire branding platform. The explanation is necessary now because we don't have the full picture yet - once we do, I think the branding will speak for itself.


Sorry my dear friend, but no. I do beg to differ. Precisely for the (very weak) arguments you present, you are only reinforcing my conviction that the "livery" (not the overall design concept) is a massive fail.
There's no way 'explaining' or 'understanding' above mentioned overall brand application and design concept will make the actual livery any less dull or uninspiring. When a concept needs a lot of explaining then there's some obvious issue...
Seeing the lovely yellow scarves of the F/As upon boarding will only make people wonder why the heck the yellow was taken away from the fuselage....
 
KLDC10
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
Also interesting was his explanation for moving away from Helvetica - yes, it has to do with licensing costs, but also readability across a variety of applications. Although I am a huge fan of Helvetica, I do fully understand the reasoning behind his decision. And, let's face it, the new font is extremely close to Helvetica in any case.


This font "change" interests me the most. Everyone keeps going on and on about a font change, yet my untrained eye can't see a darn difference. Almost makes it seem like a joke.

Is there some sort of comparison between the old Helvetica and what they decided on now? To name this a font change, sounds like a simple way to get out of paying license fees.


There's a comparison in the video posted by 'seahawk' around the 16:30 mark: https://youtu.be/liC1P6RUK-g
There are some noticeable differences, and I can see how the new typeface might be better suited for digital applications.

oldannyboy wrote:
Sorry my dear friend, but no. I do beg to differ. Precisely for the (very weak) arguments you present, you are only reinforcing my conviction that the "livery" (not the overall design concept) is a massive fail.
There's no way 'explaining' or 'understanding' above mentioned overall brand application and design concept will make the actual livery any less dull or uninspiring. When a concept needs a lot of explaining then there's some obvious issue...
Seeing the lovely yellow scarves of the F/As upon boarding will only make people wonder why the heck the yellow was taken away from the fuselage....


We may have to agree to disagree here. In my view, branding concerns the entire customer experience. The average passenger interacts with the brand at multiple points during the course of their journey. Yes, the airplane itself is the the biggest single application of the brand, but unless you go out of your way to look at it, then most of your interaction will be with other brand aspects. Boarding cards, for example. Ticket counters. Onboard literature. Cabin interiors. Meal tray design. You might spend five minutes looking at the aircraft from the outside, but you could spend up to 12 hours inside, and a few hours more in the airport.

As I explained, I think that the concept will explain itself when we are able to experience it in full. We only have leaks and teasers for the moment.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 1542
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 am

We may have to agree to disagree here. In my view, branding concerns the entire customer experience. The average passenger interacts with the brand at multiple points during the course of their journey. Yes, the airplane itself is the the biggest single application of the brand, but unless you go out of your way to look at it, then most of your interaction will be with other brand aspects. Boarding cards, for example. Ticket counters. Onboard literature. Cabin interiors. Meal tray design. You might spend five minutes looking at the aircraft from the outside, but you could spend up to 12 hours inside, and a few hours more in the airport.

As I explained, I think that the concept will explain itself when we are able to experience it in full. We only have leaks and teasers for the moment.[/quote]

No, no, I actually agree with what you say in terms of 'pax experience' and 'interaction with the brand'. When flying TG for instance I always love the colourful combination of their palette and the way in which it is consistently applied throughout the whole flight experience, from the ads, to the lounges, to the lovely interiors and on to the uniforms of their graceful F/As. Their experience provides A LOT of colour vibrancy and sensory exposure. This is what I crave for when flying, especially long haul. It adds "taste" and "sense" to my experience.
I can see how LH are exactly trying to better aim their brand exposure to convey a specific feeling of uniqueness, class and professional German efficiency.
The one point that lets me down (BIG TIME though) is the lack of colour (yellow) on the aircraft livery, which undeniably should be the de-facto masterpiece of any branding exercise. I would certainly have to struggle to spot a LH jet on a grey November day in the new livery on a busy apron. And so would/will many people from now onwards. Now whether this should be considered a success is another story.....
 
KLDC10
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 am

oldannyboy wrote:
No, no, I actually agree with what you say in terms of 'pax experience' and 'interaction with the brand'. When flying TG for instance I always love the colourful combination of their palette and the way in which it is consistently applied throughout the whole flight experience, from the ads, to the lounges, to the lovely interiors and on to the uniforms of their graceful F/As. Their experience provides A LOT of colour vibrancy and sensory exposure. This is what I crave for when flying, especially long haul. It adds "taste" and "sense" to my experience.
I can see how LH are exactly trying to better aim their brand exposure to convey a specific feeling of uniqueness, class and professional German efficiency.
The one point that lets me down (BIG TIME though) is the lack of colour (yellow) on the aircraft livery, which undeniably should be the de-facto masterpiece of any branding exercise. I would certainly have to struggle to spot a LH jet on a grey November day in the new livery on a busy apron. And so would/will many people from now onwards. Now whether this should be considered a success is another story.....


OK, I'm understanding your standpoint a little better now I think ;)

I guess, personally, when I think of blue and yellow, I think of Ikea, Lidl, Ryanair and Icelandair. None of which are premium brands, as Lufthansa clearly strives to be. Of course, there are ways to apply yellow in a premium manner - it doesn't always have to be a 'cheap' color. I too was quite surprised by the lack of yellow when the livery was unveiled, but I don't think it is a disaster, and it has certainly grown on me since being released. Once a few aircraft are painted, we'll be able to see how the livery works on the apron, and next to other airlines. I think that the stark contrast between the white Kranich and dark blue tail makes the logo "pop", but it's difficult to determine right now whether it will be more/less or equally as noticeable as the 'Spiegelei'.

Actually, on the subject of the 'Spiegelei', I think it is quite a poor application of the Kranich. Because of the way it sits on the tail, it is hard to determine that the yellow is simply the background and that the blue ring is intended to form the circle of the crane. At first glance, it looks as though the outer ring of yellow should be the crane's circle, which of course isn't the case.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 1542
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 am

KLDC10 wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
No, no, I actually agree with what you say in terms of 'pax experience' and 'interaction with the brand'. When flying TG for instance I always love the colourful combination of their palette and the way in which it is consistently applied throughout the whole flight experience, from the ads, to the lounges, to the lovely interiors and on to the uniforms of their graceful F/As. Their experience provides A LOT of colour vibrancy and sensory exposure. This is what I crave for when flying, especially long haul. It adds "taste" and "sense" to my experience.
I can see how LH are exactly trying to better aim their brand exposure to convey a specific feeling of uniqueness, class and professional German efficiency.
The one point that lets me down (BIG TIME though) is the lack of colour (yellow) on the aircraft livery, which undeniably should be the de-facto masterpiece of any branding exercise. I would certainly have to struggle to spot a LH jet on a grey November day in the new livery on a busy apron. And so would/will many people from now onwards. Now whether this should be considered a success is another story.....


OK, I'm understanding your standpoint a little better now I think ;)

I guess, personally, when I think of blue and yellow, I think of Ikea, Lidl, Ryanair and Icelandair. None of which are premium brands, as Lufthansa clearly strives to be. Of course, there are ways to apply yellow in a premium manner - it doesn't always have to be a 'cheap' color. I too was quite surprised by the lack of yellow when the livery was unveiled, but I don't think it is a disaster, and it has certainly grown on me since being released. Once a few aircraft are painted, we'll be able to see how the livery works on the apron, and next to other airlines. I think that the stark contrast between the white Kranich and dark blue tail makes the logo "pop", but it's difficult to determine right now whether it will be more/less or equally as noticeable as the 'Spiegelei'.

Actually, on the subject of the 'Spiegelei', I think it is quite a poor application of the Kranich. Because of the way it sits on the tail, it is hard to determine that the yellow is simply the background and that the blue ring is intended to form the circle of the crane. At first glance, it looks as though the outer ring of yellow should be the crane's circle, which of course isn't the case.


Mmm... There's 'yellow&blue' and "blue&yellow". FR, IKEA, Lids, they are all cheap&cheerful. Icelandair, with their elegant typeface and sleek cheatline do a much better job at creating a sense of professionalism and elegance.
I personally miss the 'Spiegelei', but I could see the Kranich logo being designed/outlined in gold, or platinum, or even silber (- if they deemed yellow to be too brash and loud-) rather than mere white..?. Or they could have added a thin gold/platinum stripe (or yellow of course) to the outer edge of the tail blue mass a-la Qantas...
Now the aircrafts look really very generic. There's no palette to speak of in the aircraft fuselage design.
 
KLDC10
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:38 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Mmm... There's 'yellow&blue' and "blue&yellow". FR, IKEA, Lids, they are all cheap&cheerful. Icelandair, with their elegant typeface and sleek cheatline do a much better job at creating a sense of professionalism and elegance.
I personally miss the 'Spiegelei', but I could see the Kranich logo being designed/outlined in gold, or platinum, or even silber (- if they deemed yellow to be too brash and loud-) rather than mere white..?. Or they could have added a thin gold/platinum stripe (or yellow of course) to the outer edge of the tail blue mass a-la Qantas...
Now the aircrafts look really very generic. There's no palette to speak of in the aircraft fuselage design.


A bit of yellow wouldn't go amiss, you're right. In fact the use of yellow as an accent on the leading-edge of the tail (instead of white) would fit in with the general design philosophy outlined in the video. I don't think it would cheapen the look too much.

It is, of course, possible that Lufthansa would tweak the aircraft livery slightly in response to feedback. They were remarkably receptive to complaints about the 'My Austrian' controversy and soon got rid of the idea.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
VC10er
Posts: 3119
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Sky blue is not a luxury color in the abstract, but it is when it’s Tiffany. Context is EVERYTHING. The yellow (IMPO) was a crucial part of communications for Lufthansa- could it have been used in a new way: sure. Tossing it out may come as a regret. It does feel as if Lufthansa has Singapore envy and wishes to live on that same 5 Star shelf...but imho the yellow wasn’t a hurdle to overcome, it was an opportunity to leverage.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
EPA001
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 pm

VC10er wrote:
Sky blue is not a luxury color in the abstract, but it is when it’s Tiffany. Context is EVERYTHING. The yellow (IMPO) was a crucial part of communications for Lufthansa- could it have been used in a new way: sure. Tossing it out may come as a regret. It does feel as if Lufthansa has Singapore envy and wishes to live on that same 5 Star shelf...but imho the yellow wasn’t a hurdle to overcome, it was an opportunity to leverage.


In the video it is explained clearly that the yellow is only stripped of the aircraft livery design. Overall the yellow will even get an upgrade, but in a new role fitting in the new corporate identity. So they see it as an opportunity, but not on the fuselage of their aircraft. Again, after understanding what they have done and why they have done it I think the people at LH have done a very good job.
 
User avatar
Aeroflot777
Posts: 3115
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:14 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
There's a comparison in the video posted by 'seahawk' around the 16:30 mark


They could have spent a little bit of extra time to have English subtitles for a video concerning a global brand change. The auto translate feature is less than ideal.
But anyway...

Seems the biggest change is numbers and not letters. Even their example of the work "Boeing", nothing really changes. Thus it seems there is not much of a change on the aircraft titles either.
 
JA786A
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:22 pm

They've uploaded an English version of the presentation: https://youtu.be/_puSnvKy_ak
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6232
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 pm

JA786A wrote:
They've uploaded an English version of the presentation: https://youtu.be/_puSnvKy_ak


A lot of thought has gone into this for sure. The new livery is very German: functional, neat and clean: dark blue and white are a great combination. What will also help is the way Lufthansa look after their aircraft: regular cleaning will ensure the new look stays smart. I really hope they don't start tweaking it.
 
User avatar
EPA001
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 pm

JA786A wrote:
They've uploaded an English version of the presentation: https://youtu.be/_puSnvKy_ak


I think it is very good that they have taken this effort for the non-German speaking world to explain the idea behind the operation. After viewing it I guess now many more people than before will understand and appreciate the choices made. I am getting more and more enthusiastic about it. :)
 
sorayafaradiba
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:01 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I have to say I do like the video. Even if you dont like the new livery it is worth watching this video!
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 pm

I would prefer something like this:

Image
 
User avatar
IslandRob
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:48 pm

It's a shame Lufthansa settled on such a lame livery. What a disappointment, what a missed opportunity. -ir
If you wrote me off I'd understand it
Because I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed
 
User avatar
EPA001
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 pm

IslandRob wrote:
It's a shame Lufthansa settled on such a lame livery. What a disappointment, what a missed opportunity. -ir


The way I see it they succeeded much better than almost everyone to take a very sharp and integral look at their corporate identity. I am very impressed with the results of that strategy so far. I don't think they have missed any opportunity at all. The result is phenomenal.

I realise the livery is for most people 99% of what an airline looks like, but in facts it is way, way more than that. And LH has realised this very, very well. Sure, the livery could be (a bit) more spectacular or colourful but that was just the one thing they didn't look for. And what they selected is again virtually timeless, which is a great quality imho.
 
KLDC10
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:22 pm

The English video is a full four minutes shorter than the German equivalent. Must be all of those long German words ;)
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
AirbusOnly
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
The English video is a full four minutes shorter than the German equivalent. Must be all of those long German words ;)


Now you understand why it takes so Long also to establish a new government here... ;-)))
they simply talk too Long...
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 pm

sorayafaradiba wrote:
I have to say I do like the video. Even if you dont like the new livery it is worth watching this video!


To me the video is a classic case of getting your excuses in early. So Lufthansa send out a man in jeans and trainers to explain that the Crane has not been used correctly for years and that blue (like his suit...err... half-suit) is more professional than yellow, but also that yellow is still a large part of the brand, just not on the actual aircraft ? Oh and are you sharing that "OMG" excitement about the shape of the new "U" in 'Lufthansa', no ? Sorry guys but the last time I heard this baloney it was in a popular fable called 'The Emperors New Clothes'.

The new livery is a bland, boring eurowhite look with a 'seen elsewhere' blue tale. Unfortunately within he airline sector, over use of white on aircraft looks like 'returning soon to lessor' or 'can't be bothered'. I thought the last one was dull enough but this takes the biscuit by a country mile.
 
GSPSPOT
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:44 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 pm

jreuschl wrote:
Image

Credit to a Facebook user Hon Mok for this. MUCH better. Even remove the circle if you want to make it more simplistic.

Now, THAT is truly spectacular.
Great Lakes, great life.
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6232
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:59 pm

EPA001 wrote:
The way I see it they succeeded much better than almost everyone to take a very sharp and integral look at their corporate identity. I am very impressed with the results of that strategy so far. I don't think they have missed any opportunity at all. The result is phenomenal.


Lufthansa must be the first airline to do this. I can't think of any other. It's an interesting approach to corporate branding, and time will tell if it succeeds. Nice to see some creative thinking for once, instead of standard approach of slapping the airline colours over everything. People will get used to the absence of yellow on the fleet -- after all, it's practically a clone of the previous Qantas livery, which was simply a red tail, albeit with a black typeface for the Qantas. This is not much different at all. Sometimes less is more, and I think it will really work for Lufthansa. In my mind, it's image has moved up a notch, while becoming more dynamic and modern at the same time.

A couple of years ago, Trinity College in Dublin dropped the gold from its logo, on account of the association with low-cost brands like Ryanair, Ikea, Maxol and Walmart, so I think Lufthansa are just making the same smart move.
 
PixelPilot
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 am

GSPSPOT wrote:
jreuschl wrote:
Image

Credit to a Facebook user Hon Mok for this. MUCH better. Even remove the circle if you want to make it more simplistic.

Now, THAT is truly spectacular.


I think it’s out of whack.
That orange doesn’t fit. At all.
It takes away attention from the rest and that does not how a design should work.
 
redcap1962
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:26 am

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 am

Tomorrow, Feb. 8, both repainted aircraft (D-ABYA, D-AISP) can be seen together at MUC. The 747 will land at approx. 15:30 on the northern runway. The A320 will take off at 15:40 for CDG. Both aircraft will meet at the Apron between Terminal 2 and the satellite, which can be watched best from the visitors terrace in T2. The 747 will taxi towards the visitors hill and should park there for a short time for the photographers. Then it'll take off at approx. 16:00 again on the northern runway. MUC offers a special apron bus tour, starting at 15:00 at the visitors park. Booking: www.munich-airport.de/lufthansa-special-tour

source: https://www.austrianwings.info/2018/02/ ... em-design/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos