ACDC8

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 am

I like it. While it may be "bland", its German, so it has a sense of conservativeness while being fresh, clean and modern with a touch of simple elegance :bigthumbsup:
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

VC10er

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am

GSPSPOT wrote:
jreuschl wrote:

Credit to a Facebook user Hon Mok for this. MUCH better. Even remove the circle if you want to make it more simplistic.

Now, THAT is truly spectacular.

YES, YES AND YES! This is near a perfect branding refresh. (Remember brand and Branding are different things) - this looks orange, but I’m assuming it’s Lufthansa Yellow.

Even if some may see the cropping as trendy, it would be easy to retreat from in the future- the baby is still there and the bath water has been changed. I’m not fond of the over used tail swath going down the fuselage (ala: FedEx) but it (like the cropped symbol) is replaceable in the future.
Getting rid of the yellow was a mistake. They will regret it more than the angled business class seats they installed!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

EPA001

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:43 am

Braybuddy wrote:
Lufthansa must be the first airline to do this. I can't think of any other. It's an interesting approach to corporate branding, and time will tell if it succeeds. Nice to see some creative thinking for once, instead of standard approach of slapping the airline colours over everything.

I think so too that they are the first to go through their company styling from the top to the bottom. Also I can not remember any other airline doing such a thing. Time will indeed tell if it will haven been successful but I am confident it will.

Braybuddy wrote:
People will get used to the absence of yellow on the fleet -- after all, it's practically a clone of the previous Qantas livery, which was simply a red tail, albeit with a black typeface for the Qantas. This is not much different at all. Sometimes less is more, and I think it will really work for Lufthansa. In my mind, it's image has moved up a notch, while becoming more dynamic and modern at the same time.

Agreed. The yellow on the tail will soon be forgotten, especially if the yellow takes it's upgraded position at LH-counters, on boarding passes and all other LH-items where the yellow will accentuate the looks of the airline. And more and more aircraft will lose the yellow on the tail when they are due for repainting.

Lilienthal

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Where are they hiding the 321? Has it been spotted yet?

upintheair2018

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Lilienthal wrote:

It was painted in Ostrava. Should have arrived in Munich this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLDC10

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm

VC10er wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:
jreuschl wrote:

Credit to a Facebook user Hon Mok for this. MUCH better. Even remove the circle if you want to make it more simplistic.

Now, THAT is truly spectacular.

YES, YES AND YES! This is near a perfect branding refresh. (Remember brand and Branding are different things) - this looks orange, but I’m assuming it’s Lufthansa Yellow.

Even if some may see the cropping as trendy, it would be easy to retreat from in the future- the baby is still there and the bath water has been changed. I’m not fond of the over used tail swath going down the fuselage (ala: FedEx) but it (like the cropped symbol) is replaceable in the future.
Getting rid of the yellow was a mistake. They will regret it more than the angled business class seats they installed!

I have to disagree. The circle is broken, and the circle is an important component of the brand. The application in the image above doesn't fit with the overall branding strategy, and looks a little unprofessional.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E170/E175/E190

george77300

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 pm

upintheair2018 wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:

It was painted in Ostrava. Should have arrived in Munich this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still in Ostrava according to FR24. It arrived 25th Jan. Don't know when it's leaving though although probably soon based on above info.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A388

B712 B733 B734 B735 B738 B742 B744 B752 B763 B772 B77E B773 B77W

AT75 AT76 C208 P46T SR20 SR22 TBM8

BA EI EK EY FR GT IG JQ KX PG PW QF QR SQ TG TP U2 UA VS WY ZB

oldannyboy

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:03 pm

EPA001 wrote:
IslandRob wrote:
It's a shame Lufthansa settled on such a lame livery. What a disappointment, what a missed opportunity. -ir

The way I see it they succeeded much better than almost everyone to take a very sharp and integral look at their corporate identity. I am very impressed with the results of that strategy so far. I don't think they have missed any opportunity at all. The result is phenomenal.

I realise the livery is for most people 99% of what an airline looks like, but in facts it is way, way more than that. And LH has realised this very, very well. Sure, the livery could be (a bit) more spectacular or colourful but that was just the one thing they didn't look for. And what they selected is again virtually timeless, which is a great quality imho.

Oh, c'mon, please! There's nothing sharp, inventive or innovative in stripping the entire fuselage of any colour, conceptual design, marquees or logos... it's...absolutely empty, it's VOID... The result is hardly phenomenal. It's a pure white fuselage with a dark blue fin. End of story.
They could have come up with such a bare, poor, stripped-down design in a 30-minute brown bag, after having written an outline of bullet points on a napkin! They certainly didn't need to hire consultants for what essentially looks like an in-between leases temporary scheme!

The rest is PR spiel at best...it's froth, nothing more. People don't have the time -or the desire- to be guided "in order to better understand' the intentions of designers. Design should be self-explanatory. If a design fails to address its own mission statement, then that is the definition of a branding incident (see the BA world design).
And let us all be reminded that the aircraft livery is the very essential bit -the key- of any airline corporate design philosophy. It's not some secondary thing. The rest is ancillary bits and bobs (desks, carts, service equipment, signage...) that randomly come up (depending on the airport) in varying degrees of consistency along the whole passenger journey, but matter very little.

seahawk

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 pm

I would doubt that the livery is an essential thing today. When do you actually see the outside of the plane? I bet that the social media channels of every airline have more customer interactions in a day, than the livery of the fleet has in a month (I tend to say year). (customer interaction, meaning a person actively getting into contact with the airline)

EPA001

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

Oh, c'mon, please! There's nothing sharp, inventive or innovative in stripping the entire fuselage of any colour, conceptual design, marquees or logos... it's...absolutely empty, it's VOID... The result is hardly phenomenal. It's a pure white fuselage with a dark blue fin. End of story.

Even though that is a personal opinion, and no fact, maybe it is if your focus is only on the livery on the fuselage of airplanes. If you broaden the view, which is exactly what LH has done to the maximum, it makes a lot of sense to me. That I think is phenomenal. End of my story. ;)

Lilienthal

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
(...)
They could have come up with such a bare, poor, stripped-down design in a 30-minute brown bag, after having written an outline of bullet points on a napkin! They certainly didn't need to hire consultants for what essentially looks like an in-between leases temporary scheme!
(...)
The rest is PR spiel at best...it's froth, nothing more.
(...)
The rest is ancillary bits and bobs (desks, carts, service equipment, signage...) that randomly come up (depending on the airport) in varying degrees of consistency along the whole passenger journey, but matter very little.

Sorry to be so blunt but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Redesigning the visual identity of a brand is time-consuming and complex. It's a whole strategy that translates to every single thing that is owned by the airline, in the real and the digital world. And no, you can't come up with that in 30 minutes. Just because it looks simple to you, doesn't mean that it actually is.

It's ok if you don't like it, but that's what they came up with and we'll see how it plays out... Us humans are just uncomfortable with change, so give it some time. You'll be surprised how quickly people will stop missing the egg yolk or the grey underbelly...

Braybuddy

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
Us humans are just uncomfortable with change, so give it some time.

You can multiply that 1000% where a.net is concerned!

Lilienthal wrote:
You'll be surprised how quickly people will stop missing the egg yolk or the grey underbelly...

You know the reducion of yellow to the bare minimum (small flashes and "surprises") actually makes it more noticeable, which I think is the master stroke of this innovative approach to airline corporate identity. Lufthansa may even start a trend here . . .

KLDC10

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Lufthansa expects a Facebook livestream to begin at 18:40CET, which is just around 25 minutes time, if anyone would like to follow the presentation live: https://www.facebook.com/Lufthansa/
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E170/E175/E190

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

EPA001 wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Even though that is a personal opinion, and no fact, maybe it is if your focus is only on the livery on the fuselage of airplanes. If you broaden the view, which is exactly what LH has done to the maximum, it makes a lot of sense to me. That I think is phenomenal. End of my story. ;)

This thread is about the Lufthansa livery as seen on it's aircraft though, not a pan company corporate image. Not everyone will experience the entire package in a balanced context, therefore I'm with the naysayers on this. You may wish to try and view the livery this way too and see if you still think it's "phenomenal" ? I know I don't.

PixelPilot

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:

Lilienthal wrote:
You'll be surprised how quickly people will stop missing the egg yolk or the grey underbelly...

You know the reducion of yellow to the bare minimum (small flashes and "surprises") actually makes it more noticeable, which I think is the master stroke of this innovative approach to airline corporate identity. Lufthansa may even start a trend here . . .

So true.
Reading a.net one can come with a conclusion that w should be flying liveries from the 50s. Waaaay too many people are stuck in the past and have serious issues with adapting to new.
I read some people will not fly LH anymore cause of this ROFL. Talk about stupid really.
Last edited by PixelPilot on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Lilienthal wrote:

On the move now...

https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH9921/105c0220

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:31 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:

Lilienthal wrote:

So true.
Reading a.net one can come with a conclusion that w should be flying liveries from the 50s. Waaaay too many people are stuck in the past and have serious issues with adapting to new.
I read some people will not fly LH anymore cause of this ROFL. Talk about stupid really.

I've never been a new livery basher or unable to adapt to change. I thought the furore over the American Airlines new livery in 2013 was laughable personally. Having particpated in this thread so far, my opinion is that it's not so much objection to change as objection to what it changed too. Personally I thought the previous Lufthansa scheme was as about as minimal as you can get using mainly white as a palette, little did I know though. And no, I don't buy Lufthansa's corporate spin on this idea at all, it looks cheap and most probably is cheap. IAG had a chance to provide something tasteful and lasting for Iberia but went down a similar route. Both airlines have produced something that smacks of 'low repainting costs' and 'short term lease' for their aircraft and no amount of smoke and mirrors from a PR guy will convince me otherwise. Whether or not this is new trend or policy, it's a sad day when airlines no longer consider an eye catching design as important or necessary...
Last edited by JannEejit on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jworks158

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:31 pm

The explore the new event is starting now.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ3u2UqmuZs
Traveled on..
(A359,A343,A319/320/321)(B744/B748,B762,B752,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JBU,UAL(UCA, ASQ, CHQ, LOF),AAL(EGF,AWI,LOF,PDT) ,DAL(COM),TRS,SWA,LH,AFR,AZA,VX,COA
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

PixelPilot

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:41 pm

JannEejit wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

So true.

I've never been a new livery basher or unable to adapt to change. I thought the furore over the American Airlines new livery in 2013 was laughable personally. Having particpated in this thread so far, my opinion is that it's not so much objection to change as objection to what it changed too. Personally I thought the previous Lufthansa scheme was as about as minimal as you can get using mainly white as a palette, little did I know though. And no, I don't buy Lufthansa's corporate spin on this idea at all, it looks cheap and most probably is cheap. IAG had a chance to provide something tasteful and lasting for Iberia but went down a similar route. Both airlines have produced something that smacks of 'low repainting costs' and 'short term lease' for their aircraft and no amount of smoke and mirrors from a PR guy will convince me otherwise. Whether or not this is new trend or policy, it's a sad day when airlines no longer consider an eye catching design as important or necessary...

Which is why they have a lot of people making this decision that is based on a lot of more factors than some personal opinions.
I like it a lot so they nailed it if you ask me. Old one had zero appeal to me.

ro1960

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Lilienthal wrote:

Here are the details of the A321 and 748 tour for tomorrow, February 8 (in French):

https://laerien.fr/2018/02/05/lufthansa-a321-nouvelle-livree-paris-cdg-jeudi-8-fevrier/

KarelXWB

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:06 pm

LH emphasizes that yellow colors will not be removed in the cabin.

Even Spohr is wearing yellow socks at the unveiling ceremony this evening.

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/961288401075961856
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

PixelPilot

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Clothing looks great. very classy.

KLDC10

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:27 pm

And a first glance at A321 D-AISP in the new scheme, from AeroNews Romania on Twitter:

PixelPilot

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Not sure if it was mentioned, anybody know why didn't they paint their flagship (according to their website it is the 380) and instead the went with the Queen?

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:34 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
LH emphasizes that yellow colors will not be removed in the cabin.

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/961288401075961856

And another executive with a yellow boarding card stuffed in his top pocket, plus the female exec in a green dress which I thought was her personal tribute to the UTA livery ? ;-)

The actual 747 reveal showed that A: They do consider the aircraft to be the star of the show and B: All that white makes for a great projector screen. They terminated the live-cast moments after the fancy projections ended and the 'clean' aircraft was revealed. My money is on a split board within Lufthansa on this one and that it has plenty of opposition from within as well as support.

Lilienthal

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Not sure if it was mentioned, anybody know why didn't they paint their flagship (according to their website it is the 380) and instead the went with the Queen?

Because she just looks better.

Braybuddy

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:51 pm

JannEejit wrote:
IAG had a chance to provide something tasteful and lasting for Iberia but went down a similar route.

I didn't like the new Iberia livery because the design represents absolutely nothing -- and I still don't like it. Finnair uses just white and blue, yet looks very smart and clean, but then it's very Scandi. Qantas uses a very similar scheme to Lufthansa (apart from the colours), yet it's highly respected and even considered iconic. Nobody has every accused it of looking like a LCC. I really do get the new Lufthansa image -- although I admit I did get a shock when I saw it first. It's very neat, very clean, very German. Now it's also very contemporary -- something the old livery could never be accused of -- and, as someone in the live broadcast said, very elegant. It would be a disaster if the aircraft were allowed to get dirty, but with Lufthansa they won't, so they really are one of few airlines who can pull this look off successfully. People will get used to the lack of yellow (although it's still there, but you have to look for it :D ). It had to go to bring the image more upmarket.

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 pm

PixelPilot wrote:

Good question, you might wonder why the A350 wasn't chosen either, it being the newest type in service ?

KarelXWB

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 pm

And now the first A321 has been repainted, see https://twitter.com/AeronewsRO/status/9 ... 6818949121
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
IAG had a chance to provide something tasteful and lasting for Iberia but went down a similar route.

I didn't like the new Iberia livery because the design represents absolutely nothing -- and I still don't like it. Finnair uses just white and blue, yet looks very smart and clean, but then it's very Scandi. Qantas uses a very similar scheme to Lufthansa (apart from the colours), yet it's highly respected and even considered iconic. Nobody has every accused it of looking like a LCC. I really do get the new Lufthansa image -- although I admit I did get a shock when I saw it first. It's very neat, very clean, very German. Now it's also very contemporary -- something the old livery could never be accused of -- and, as someone in the live broadcast said, very elegant. It would be a disaster if the aircraft were allowed to get dirty, but with Lufthansa they won't, so they really are one of few airlines who can pull this look off successfully. People will get used to the lack of yellow (although it's still there, but you have to look for it :D ). It had to go to bring the image more upmarket.

I think Finnair works (just) because the text is large and adorns the full length of the fuselage, whereas Lufthansa and Iberia are effectively painted tails on otherwise mainly blank fuselages. When Pan Am dropped their traditional cheatline look and went billboard, it also worked for similar reasons as Finnair. When I first saw new Iberia my first reaction was that a billboard 'Iberia' text would have balanced the livery out, much like their previous Iberian sun cheatline did by running along the upper fuselage.

I'm not overly upset by the lack of yellow in the Lufthansa design, it's just the lack of anything, period ! In a world that's increasingly full of 'eurowhite' liveries, look at JAL etc, I just do not buy comments like 'smart, clean and 'very German'. They may have pulled it off were we awash with bold, full colour schemes across the airline industry as we know it, but alas we are not and this minimalist white aircraft look appears to be a new trend, very much on the increase. It could have been so much better and so easy to achieve too. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what Lufthansa does with it's aircraft, but as an aircraft enthusiast (and that incudes liveries too) these types of half hearted efforts are nothing but disappointing to me. A bunch of shoddily presented middle aged airline execs and marketing gurus in 'ever so contemporary' suits without ties towing the corporate line won't convince me either.
Last edited by JannEejit on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ojjunior

Re: Rumor: LH might introduce a new/revised livery in 2018

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:09 pm

LTU932 wrote:
From the database:

Sooner787

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:30 pm

JannEejit wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Good question, you might wonder why the A350 wasn't chosen either, it being the newest type in service ?

LH's next A359 will wear the new livery. She's on the flightline at TLS waiting her turn in the paint barn

PixelPilot

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

LH's next A359 will wear the new livery. She's on the flightline at TLS waiting her turn in the paint barn

Ultimately all of them will be painted, I was wondering why Queen was the first.
There's way more estate on the 380 as well so logic doesn't apply much here.

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:47 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Ultimately all of them will be painted, I was wondering why Queen was the first.
There's way more estate on the 380 as well so logic doesn't apply much here.

Perhaps the paint store has a 10,000,000 litres of eurowhite per single purchase, policy ? ;-) Or maybe they'd like to do a commemorative in flight shot with the retro, current and new livery 748's ? My guess is they just chose to celebrate Lufthansa's long association with the 747.

EPA001

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:28 pm

JannEejit wrote:
My money is on a split board within Lufthansa on this one and that it has plenty of opposition from within as well as support.

If that were true something would have leaked out to the media very soon. Or the change would not have been put into effect in the company at all. You are just speculating and that speculation is based on nothing factual.

It is fine that the strategy of LH does not convince you, you are entitled to your own opinion. Just as anybody else here. But such wild speculations outed here just because you won't let yourself being convinced by LH's policy is out of place imho.

redcap1962

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

Like to have one of those for my next flight with Lusthansa!

Anybody knows were to get them? But must be the very same colour!

(... to the LH marketing people: Would be a great giveaway or article for the fanshop!)

seahawk

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:48 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

If you see the first LH planes in the old livery back 30 years ago, they looked extremely modern on the ramp. In the time when flashy colours, polished metal and cheatlines were still the norm, the reduced eurowhite scheme without the cheatline was as modern and clean as the new livery is today.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufthans ... -430/74805

Although I think a yellow crane on the engines would be a nice touch.

ACCS300

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm

I have no doubt the yellow will reappear somewhere in the near future as I'm sure there's a ton of internal objection to the loss. I predict either the crane and circle but only the outline this time. This small change would seem very doable even after much of the fleet is re-painted.

787Driver

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:14 pm

seahawk wrote:
Although I think a yellow crane on the engines would be a nice touch.

No thanks. Either you choose to use yellow on every logo on the aircraft or you don't use it on any logo.

Using a mix of different colours on the same logos in various locations is exactly what they wanted to avoid as explained in a video posted earlier. They even referred to the different looks of the same logo collected at one page as the "wall of shame".
Last edited by 787Driver on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:14 pm

EPA001 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

It is fine that the strategy of LH does not convince you, you are entitled to your own opinion. Just as anybody else here. But such wild speculations outed here just because you won't let yourself being convinced by LH's policy is out of place imho.

If you're telling me that everyone within the Lufthansa executive was in agreement on this then I'll share your opinion that wild speculation is rife. Going by the reaction on here and elsewhere, opinion is very much split and I'd assume that theory also applies across boardrooms and within companies. Speculation it may be, but where is the harm in that ? ;-)

SpaceshipDC10

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Having watched the marketing video & looked at the 747 picture several times, I still don't like the aircraft livery. I find it too cold and perhaps boring. That they have removed the grey, especially on the engines, is alright, but I think the yellow logo, especially with that orange-yellow, gave the livery just a hint of classy warmth and brightness.

Since we are at it, where do the blue and yellow colors stem from for Lufthansa ? Often, (former) national carrier have the national flag colors as part of the livery, but not Lufthansa.

questions

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
And now the first A321 has been repainted, see https://twitter.com/AeronewsRO/status/9 ... 6818949121

Is the light on the tail? The crane logo on the tail looks illuminated which is kind of cool. Is this just the photo or was a special paint used so that it would look like its glowing in low light?

bspc

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 pm

This video pretty much explains their thinking behind the new Design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_puSnvKy_ak

The yellow also doesn't go away, its just not part of the exterior of the aircraft. I think its important to understand that we live in 2018 and the older yellow Lufthansa is known for just doesn't work in today's world of design (which is all about simplicity).

bagoldex

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
I have no doubt the yellow will reappear somewhere in the near future as I'm sure there's a ton of internal objection to the loss. I predict either the crane and circle but only the outline this time. This small change would seem very doable even after much of the fleet is re-painted.

They aren't going to waste the money changing the livery again just to appease the employees. If they don't like it, they can hit the bricks.

JannEejit

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 pm

bagoldex wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

They aren't going to waste the money changing the livery again just to appease the employees. If they don't like it, they can hit the bricks.

I wouldn't rule it out, American Airlines held a staff vote after the 2013 livery release, such was the backlash and lest we forget how strongly the German public felt about the post Thomas Cook rebranding of Condor.

fortytwoeyes

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
Qantas uses a very similar scheme to Lufthansa (apart from the colours), yet it's highly respected and even considered iconic. Nobody has every accused it of looking like a LCC.

With Qantas it makes sense to extend the tail colour down the fuselage, because the logo does so as well. The LH logo doesn't, so the empty blue bit on the fuselage doesn't have any point.

BWIAirport

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:10 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
And a first glance at A321 D-AISP in the new scheme, from AeroNews Romania on Twitter:

Did they really leave the engines gray or is that just the lighting?
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 752 762 A319 A320 A321 A343

Sooner787

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Must be the lighting. The engines are white and it also appears from a few of the 748
pics that they painted the wings white as well?

EChid

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:45 pm

I really don't get all of the guessing about why this colour scheme and why these planes. It's dead simple: money.

First, they've reduced their colour scheme from 4 to 2 colours. Money saved, just as AC did and just as a plethora of others have. I expect someone crunched the numbers on a two-colour scheme, told the board that they could cut their costs on a bunch of expensive 747/A380 repaints and use it as an opportunity to get a little bit of PR. As for the 747? I'm guessing it was just up for a paint refresh and it was considered 'good enough' as a VLA of Lufthansa's that they went with it.

Braybuddy

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:00 pm

JannEejit wrote:
A bunch of shoddily presented middle aged airline execs and marketing gurus in 'ever so contemporary' suits without ties towing the corporate line won't convince me either.

You left out "overpaid" . . . :D

fortytwoeyes wrote:
[With Qantas it makes sense to extend the tail colour down the fuselage, because the logo does so as well. The LH logo doesn't, so the empty blue bit on the fuselage doesn't have any point.

I see your where you're coming from, but had they confined the blue to the tail, the result would have been just another tweak of the old livery, which I think is what they wanted to avoid. Extending the blue down makes it much more dramatic and drags it right out of the 1970s/80s. My initial reaction was coloured more by the fact that they went for such a big change, which I thought was wonderful. The old livery has been a bugbear of mine on here for a long, long time, and was top of my hitlist in any thread discussing airlines that needed a new livery (it's no longer Fustythansa :D). So my first reaction was delight that it was gone, and I have to admit, the second (brief) reaction was that the new livery did seem odd. But no longer: it's quite easy to get used to if you completely forget about seeing yellow. And who can deny that dark blue and pure white are a very smart colour comination?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos