KLDC10
Topic Author

Delta introduces complimentary Prosecco in International Economy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Pretty much as the title says; Delta is introducing complimentary Prosecco in International Economy. This is a pretty smart move, which will further differentiate Delta from their competitors. I'm glad to see further improvements and investments in the economy class experience.

See the following articles for more details:
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/delta- ... al-flights
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

USAirALB

Re: Delta introduces complimentary Prosecco in International Economy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I believe AA offers complimentary Prosecco in Y as well on all international long haul routes as well but they only stock four or so mini bottles so when it’s gone it’s gone.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77W, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 388

Newbiepilot

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm

The US Carriers are all back to having free beer and wine on long haul international flights. For the most part, if an international flight has complimentary meals, wine and beer is included. Does Prosecco really make a difference? I never thought it was particularly popular for economy passengers. Maybe I'm wrong.

KLDC10
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:05 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I believe AA offers complimentary Prosecco in Y as well on all international long haul routes as well but they only stock four or so mini bottles so when it’s gone it’s gone.

Well, unfortunately it's either mini-bottles or nothing I guess, because otherwise the wine just goes flat. As you point out, it kind of limits the amount they can carry though.

Newbiepilot wrote:
The US Carriers are all back to having free beer and wine on long haul international flights. For the most part, if an international flight has complimentary meals, wine and beer is included. Does Prosecco really make a difference? I never thought it was particularly popular for economy passengers. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess it's something that feels a bit more "premium" because it's closer to Champagne than standard red or white wine. It's not something I'd rush to drink personally, but I can see how it might be appealing.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

oceanvikram

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Enjoy it while you can. In a few years time the US3 will stop making profits. This could be for various reasons such as war, technological or service disruption, terrorism, high cost fuel and so on.

Then Y services will return to LCC type. The front of the plane the hard products will be replaced with latest and greatest only when they are 5 years behind the rest of the European and Asian airlines.

FoxtrotSierra

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:10 pm

oceanvikram wrote:
Enjoy it while you can. In a few years time the US3 will stop making profits. This could be for various reasons such as war, technological or service disruption, terrorism, high cost fuel and so on.

Tell that to Doug Parker.

panamair

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm

USAirALB wrote:

I don't believe AA offers sparkling wine as an option at all. Beer and wine are complimentary on all long haul international, but spirits are only comped on flights to Japan, Australia, and NZ; they are for purchase to Europe and Latin America..I can't recall any US carrier in recent times even offering a sparkling wine option (not even for purchase) in Coach before this DL move...

tofur

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:

It is surprisingly popular in economy class and we usually sell out on transcon and transborder routes. At Air Canada we also offer premium wines by the glass from business class for sale in economy on North American routes, and that too is extremely well received. I think the addition of complimentary Prosecco to Delta's international economy class will be a hit. Congratulations to Delta Air Lines and their innovative product enhancements!

Kilopond

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:56 pm

:D If they had a better sense of humour and some guts they would start serving Crimea Shampanskoye and Freixinet Cava...

dcajet

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Kilopond wrote:
:D If they had a better sense of humour and some guts they would start serving Crimea Shampanskoye...

Paint thinner? :champagne: :champagne:
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

TheAccountant

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Delta offers free liquor (spirits) in International Economy on all flights as well, not just wine and beer

SmithAir747

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:21 am

Prosecco tastes great...especially when mixed in equal parts with grapefruit juice! (By the way, I've never seen grapefruit juice on airlines or on cruise ships; if it were, I'd have it mixed half-and-half with prosecco.)

Is there a name for that mix? It was suggested to me at a destination liquor store in Calgary to mix prosecco (LaMarca) and grapefruit juice in equal parts.

SmithAir747
Last edited by SmithAir747 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Newbiepilot

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:51 am

panamair wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

I don't believe AA offers sparkling wine as an option at all. Beer and wine are complimentary on all long haul international, but spirits are only comped on flights to Japan, Australia, and NZ; they are for purchase to Europe and Latin America..I can't recall any US carrier in recent times even offering a sparkling wine option (not even for purchase) in Coach before this DL move...

Pre merger UA added sparkling wine for about $8 in economy on domestic flights around 2010.

N383SW

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:30 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
panamair wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Pre merger UA added sparkling wine for about $8 in economy on domestic flights around 2010.

WN added Sparkling Wine this year, its $5 IIRC

StudiodeKadent

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:47 am

Good for Delta.

Isn't competition a great thing? Face it, if it weren't for ME3 competition internationally and JetBlue/Virgin America competition domestically, stuff like this wouldn't happen. The US3 know they need to be less crappy. And they're improving substantially. I'm happy to see this.

United Airline

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:04 am

Any US airlines offering free hard liquor on international flights? I know UA used to but not anymore.

These are taken for granted on Asian/European airlines like SQ, CX, BA, LH etc.

flyguy89

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:08 am

As someone who, with exceedingly rare exception, can only ever travel coach, I've always found DL to have the best economy product in North America and I'm glad to see they're continuing to improve. Their hard product with wifi, seat back TVs and charging ports is consistent and exceeds the other US carriers. DL never did do away with their peanuts/pretzels/cookies snack service unlike the others, and I find their BOB menu offerings very good. I was recently able to sample as well their transcon product in Y from New York to LA where printed menus were distributed with a choice of three complimentary lunch selections to choose from...my first complimentary meal in domestic Y in about 15 years.

dredgy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:14 am

SmithAir747 wrote:
Prosecco tastes great...especially when mixed in equal parts with grapefruit juice! (By the way, I've never seen grapefruit juice on airlines or on cruise ships; if it were, I'd have it mixed half-and-half with prosecco.)

Is there a name for that mix? It was suggested to me at a destination liquor store in Calgary to mix prosecco (LaMarca) and grapefruit juice in equal parts.

That particular cocktail is named "The Abomination" :p
Does America have origin laws that specify Prosecco must be Italian? Here in Australia, you can buy proper, tasty, Italian Prosecco but you can also buy Australian made "prosecco" which basically seems to be a sweetened sparkling wine, akin to crappy moscato. Therefore Prosecco here is widely known as something cheap and sweet, not something exquisite and dry.

LAXLHR

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 am

Kilopond wrote:
:D If they had a better sense of humour and some guts they would start serving Crimea Shampanskoye and Freixinet Cava...

Bwahahahahaha! Nice one :-)
BA JM EA GK QH PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH AK CX U2 EK 9W 6E UK G8 TP VY VN PC LO OK

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

AirAfreak

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:25 am

Cheers to Proscecco! Now bring back the "Mile-High Mojito!" ☺☺☺
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:01 am

oceanvikram wrote:

Then Y services will return to LCC type. The front of the plane the hard products will be replaced with latest and greatest only when they are 5 years behind the rest of the European and Asian airlines.

You're of a particular level of naivete if you believe Euro/Asian carriers are going to be immune from similar effect.....
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

dcajet

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:27 pm

dredgy wrote:
Does America have origin laws that specify Prosecco must be Italian? Here in Australia, you can buy proper, tasty, Italian Prosecco but you can also buy Australian made "prosecco" which basically seems to be a sweetened sparkling wine, akin to crappy moscato. Therefore Prosecco here is widely known as something cheap and sweet, not something exquisite and dry.

I think the laws that count on the examples here are the ones from the EU, that state that products such as champagne, Parmesan cheese, etc, can only be called as such if they are produced in those geographical regions under the AOC/DOC regulations. Not sure if proper Italian Prosecco wine falls under the EU DOC rules, but I'd suspect it does, as Italians are quite protective of their regional brands/products.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 pm

DL has 'best economy product?" I guess its all in the interest of the poster. I flew them the other day and thought it was nothing more than a glorified SW. After all I had read about them from the DL BB's on here, expected a higher standard only to find it wasn't close. Im not saying that any of the domestic 3 are heads up over the other 2, just that their are very close in what they offer and just a notch above the LCC's.

cpd

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:00 am

KLDC10 wrote:
Pretty much as the title says; Delta is introducing complimentary Prosecco in International Economy. This is a pretty smart move, which will further differentiate Delta from their competitors. I'm glad to see further improvements and investments in the economy class experience.

See the following articles for more details:
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/delta- ... al-flights

Don't see how it is particularly different. I do remember having various selections of white and red wine, beer and even cognac on Emirates recently in economy class. Didn't have to pay extra for any of it. It's all fairly standard on a lot of international airlines.

I suspect the US carriers wouldn't bother if they didn't have to.

flyguy89

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:24 am

727200 wrote:
DL has 'best economy product?" I guess its all in the interest of the poster. I flew them the other day and thought it was nothing more than a glorified SW. After all I had read about them from the DL BB's on here, expected a higher standard only to find it wasn't close. Im not saying that any of the domestic 3 are heads up over the other 2, just that their are very close in what they offer and just a notch above the LCC's.

It's just been my experience that among the US 3 + Air Canada, DL has the best product when it comes to economy. They're nothing mind-blowing I grant you, but DL invested early and often in Wi-Fi/power ports/IFE which is more consistent fleet-wide compared to their rivals who have only begun to aggressively invest in these areas in recent years. UA comes a close second IMO with the updated cabins they revealed and their BOB offerings are quite good...they only just recently reintroduced complimentary snacks however and it will be a couple years before their new hard product is widely available. AA...just blah. In economy the only notable step they've undertaken recently is announcing the removal of seat back IFE, but no adjustment of their hard product unlike UA who went Wi-Fi streaming IFE only but at least is planning to roll out mobile device-friendly seats with power ports.

FlyHappy

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Its funny, I've been tempted to post a smarmy reply to this since its was posted. Something along the lines of "big deal, so what?" - and express aloud what regular flyers fascination it is with very, very small things on board. The constant harping about free food/liquor, BoB complaints, do the F/A's smile enough, etc, etc -

But........ I've actually changed my mind in 36 hours.
I think its fairly accepted that Delta provides the most *consistent* Y experience across their network (of the US3). Internationally, its certainly improved over the bottom years, but has some work to do if they are to be compared to Asian/ME carriers. I think Delta's Y is comparable to EU legacies (some may find LH superior in ways, thats fair). Domestically, UA and AA are far more inconsistent, one flight might be great, the next might be horrid. Delta seems to have done the best job in the post merger era of standardizing operations, training, equipment and an intangible level of human..... something. Can't describe it, you just know it when you see it.

So - does Prosecco to cattle class really matter? No, not really - but I think I've decided its a very nice small effort to rewind history a little to the best parts of the regulated era (meaning high service/amenity standards) on long-haul in Y. The symbolism of "celebration" with a sparkling beverage to commence a journey; just a hint of the travel romance of yesterday. Humans are funny creatures - I could get on board with slightly sour attitude (for a million reasons, long queue, late departure, stress), but it might be instantly changed with a pleasant few seconds of service from an F/A, hot towel, celebratory bubbly? I mean, something I recognize as trivial might actually change my subjective memory of that same flight - I have many memories of the 70's and 80's where my attitude on a flight pivoted on small events.

So I recognize that stocking Prosecco for 300 pax must have a weight cost to catering, and it is just another drink choice... but good on Delta. They are making a statement, and spending some actual money to do so. They need to make sure they do not knee-jerk eliminate it the first time a route starts to lose money, or they have a bad financial quarter; that is the point of presenting yourself as a quality product with consistency - don't make the pax flight experience different one month to the next due to your corporate performance.

I really don't even like Delta; I'm required to fly them on occasions for various reasons - but I'd be lying to myself if I don't give them credit for leading the US4 pack in a small resurgence of improved customer experience. I would like to think that someway, somehow, small acts like these could put pressure on UA/AA to similarly up the bar, re-establishing a new, higher bar of standards for US long-haul...... but, I really doubt it.

EddieDude

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Does DL consider U.S.-Canada and U.S.-Mexico flights as international for purposes of amenities, meals, etc?
Upcoming AM MEX-LAX 73H, VA LAX-MEL 77W.

FlyHappy

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 pm

EddieDude wrote:
Does DL consider U.S.-Canada and U.S.-Mexico flights as international for purposes of amenities, meals, etc?

I've got no industry knowlege, but I'll take a stab -
Its my impression that DL does not delineate amenities based specifically on Int'l or not (Canada and Mexico obviously being international) , but does so based on flight time, somewhere around 5 hours.
Based on the geographical location of DL's hubs and gateway cities, I'd say only ATL <-> YVR, SEA <-> CUN, DTW <-> PVR/SJD, JFK <-> SJD/MEX and similar routes might qualify.
Aside from YVR, DL seems to really only serve Canada via MSP on shortish flights (at least on their own metal) as far as I can tell.

Prost

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 pm

The Mexico/Canada routes, and Caribbean are catered as domestic.

FlyHappy

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Prost wrote:
The Mexico/Canada routes, and Caribbean are catered as domestic.

Even Seattle to Cancun? Man, that's long...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos