User avatar
intotheair
Topic Author
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

On the heels of a brand new terminal opening next month, SBP airport officials are hoping to get flights to at least two new destinations. PDX and DFW are at the top of the list, according to the SLO Tribune:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local ... 80591.html

Officials also say the traffic is steadily increasing and expect it to remain that way:

Passenger numbers are expected to continue to rise, which may encourage airlines to consider adding flights. Administrators expect 450,000 passengers to pass through the airport in the 2017-2018 fiscal year.


I've noticed that UA is now selling the DEN flight as an E175 up from a CR2. The seat map is a little wonky, as it doesn't show F, but the flights are all marked as E175s starting in January.

PDX I suppose makes sense if AS has enough metal for it. DFW seems like a little bit of a stretch. Still though, more than anything I wish is for a DL flight to SLC or LAX. SLC would be a nice complement to the DEN flight, and it still is somewhat surprising that DL doesn't have any service to the Central Coast.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
syvjeff
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:22 am

This is exciting news and hopefully fares are competitive. I live 40 minutes North of Santa Barbara and 1 hour South of San Luis Obispo and since AA/AS/US expanded at SBA prices have been reasonable enough for me to cut back the drive to LAX.

Like OP I would love to see some DL service from either airport to SLC or some airport with connections East. However I don't believe the area is large enough for DL interest.

The strengths of both SBP and SBA is that they are both active college and high tech areas. The only weakness of SBP is they have some limitations on length of runway and somebody told me a higher chance of morning fog.
 
cschleic
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Yes, SBP can have fog issues. It's in a valley. I'm told by a relative who lives there that the AS SEA flight is very popular. It was unfortunate when AA Eagle left; at least they still fly to PHX. But lack of service means a lot of driving to LAX or SFO/SJC (SBP is pretty much halfway between both). Between added time for connections and higher costs, driving to the hub can mean the same amount of total time and cheaper tickets.
 
commavia
Posts: 11422
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

intotheair wrote:
DFW seems like a little bit of a stretch. Still though, more than anything I wish is for a DL flight to SLC or LAX. SLC would be a nice complement to the DEN flight, and it still is somewhat surprising that DL doesn't have any service to the Central Coast.


I agree that DFW-SBP seems implausible. AA's nonstop DFW-SBA appears to be quite a success, but then SBA is a larger market and larger draw that SBP. In terms of AA, I think the best SBP is likely to see is increased capacity - more flights and/or larger aircraft - to PHX.

I also agree that, as the SBP market develops, SLC-SBP may work on Delta - SLC is a good hub with lots of connections.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4067
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm

It appears that traffic growth in the region is at pretty good pace, with the AS E-175's to SBP and mainline to SBA. However, I would be surprised to see any further expansion from QX or OO with AS until they get things figured out with their flight crews.
 
evank516
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm wondering if Delta is willing to take another crack at one of these markets. SBA may be able to sustain SLC service now.
 
ericm2031
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:45 pm

The DEN fight was originally announced as an E75 but keeps getting pushed back. I’m not sure if they’re waiting for the bigger capacity terminal or what. AS flies theirs so I know the place can handle it so I’m not sure why it isn’t being used yet while they are marketing it as that fleet type.
 
ericm2031
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 pm

commavia wrote:
intotheair wrote:
DFW seems like a little bit of a stretch. Still though, more than anything I wish is for a DL flight to SLC or LAX. SLC would be a nice complement to the DEN flight, and it still is somewhat surprising that DL doesn't have any service to the Central Coast.


I agree that DFW-SBP seems implausible. AA's nonstop DFW-SBA appears to be quite a success, but then SBA is a larger market and larger draw that SBP. In terms of AA, I think the best SBP is likely to see is increased capacity - more flights and/or larger aircraft - to PHX.

I also agree that, as the SBP market develops, SLC-SBP may work on Delta - SLC is a good hub with lots of connections.


The DFW-SBA was regularly very weight restricted when it was on a CR9 and I believe SBP is slightly farther and slightly shorter runway. So they would need to somehow get it on an E75 but it would be kind of an oddball route since they don’t fly any of their E75s from DFW to anywhere out in CA.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm glad to see SBP-SAN possibilities at least mentioned in the article since I've thought that market would probably support some traffic (on a QX Q400 in particular.)

I didn't see any mention of "$$$$$". A subsidy by the city or county or whomever, would sure raise the airlines' interest in the market.

bb
 
Boston92
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:56 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:56 pm

I'd rather see UA fly SBA-ORD than adding nonstops to SBP that don't really add any additional one stop destinations.
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm

If AA is going to start flying E175s from DFW to California, there are larger markets than SBP or SBA that are still unserved, like BUR and OAK
 
Boston92
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:56 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
If AA is going to start flying E175s from DFW to California, there are larger markets than SBP or SBA that are still unserved, like BUR and OAK


SBA isn't "unserved". It gets a daily A319.
 
FA9295
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:37 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see an AS SkyWest and/or Horizon E175 commence a PDX-SBP route. If the PDX-SBA AS route works, then this probably would as well...
 
ericm2031
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Boston92 wrote:
I'd rather see UA fly SBA-ORD than adding nonstops to SBP that don't really add any additional one stop destinations.


With mainline now in SBA, I wouldn't be surprised to see this in 2018 for Spring or Summer.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Boston92 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
If AA is going to start flying E175s from DFW to California, there are larger markets than SBP or SBA that are still unserved, like BUR and OAK


SBA isn't "unserved". It gets a daily A319.

Regardless, wouldn’t be Oakland be aore important nonstop market than San Luis Obispo?
-Andrés Juánez
 
loisencroach
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:56 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Boston92 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
If AA is going to start flying E175s from DFW to California, there are larger markets than SBP or SBA that are still unserved, like BUR and OAK


SBA isn't "unserved". It gets a daily A319.


You quoted it without reading it. Read it again.
 
evank516
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 pm

intotheair wrote:
On the heels of a brand new terminal opening next month, SBP airport officials are hoping to get flights to at least two new destinations. PDX and DFW are at the top of the list, according to the SLO Tribune:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local ... 80591.html

Officials also say the traffic is steadily increasing and expect it to remain that way:

Passenger numbers are expected to continue to rise, which may encourage airlines to consider adding flights. Administrators expect 450,000 passengers to pass through the airport in the 2017-2018 fiscal year.


I've noticed that UA is now selling the DEN flight as an E175 up from a CR2. The seat map is a little wonky, as it doesn't show F, but the flights are all marked as E175s starting in January.

PDX I suppose makes sense if AS has enough metal for it. DFW seems like a little bit of a stretch. Still though, more than anything I wish is for a DL flight to SLC or LAX. SLC would be a nice complement to the DEN flight, and it still is somewhat surprising that DL doesn't have any service to the Central Coast.


I think DL used to fly it with CRJs. Pretty sure it was Santa Barbara, but may have been both. With the apparent increase in demand at SBA I can't imagine DL isn't at least evaluating the possibility of restoring SLC flights to the area. Probably won't be more than the CR9, but it brings the widget to the area.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Topic Author
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
The DEN fight was originally announced as an E75 but keeps getting pushed back. I’m not sure if they’re waiting for the bigger capacity terminal or what. AS flies theirs so I know the place can handle it so I’m not sure why it isn’t being used yet while they are marketing it as that fleet type.

As others have pointed out, AS already brings the E175 to SBP. It's certainly possible, but bumping up the DEN flight to E175 may be somewhat tricky with the current terminal. Four flights to DEN, SFO, LAX, and PHX all leave between 5:30 and 6:20, and that boarding area is standing room only. The new terminal should help. I see UA also occasionally rotates the DEN aircraft at SBP with the ones to SFO and LAX, so perhaps that may be a consideration in upgauging.

evank516 wrote:
I think DL used to fly it with CRJs. Pretty sure it was Santa Barbara, but may have been both. With the apparent increase in demand at SBA I can't imagine DL isn't at least evaluating the possibility of restoring SLC flights to the area. Probably won't be more than the CR9, but it brings the widget to the area.

I think they flew into both SBP and SBA until sometime around 2009 when the majors all started cutting back small markets. MRY is also lacking DL service.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
Boston92
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:56 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:55 pm

loisencroach wrote:
Boston92 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
If AA is going to start flying E175s from DFW to California, there are larger markets than SBP or SBA that are still unserved, like BUR and OAK


SBA isn't "unserved". It gets a daily A319.


You quoted it without reading it. Read it again.


No, I didn't. The poster meant "unserved" in the sense of not having any service at all, not unserved with E175.
 
Boston92
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:56 am

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:55 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Boston92 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
If AA is going to start flying E175s from DFW to California, there are larger markets than SBP or SBA that are still unserved, like BUR and OAK


SBA isn't "unserved". It gets a daily A319.

Regardless, wouldn’t be Oakland be aore important nonstop market than San Luis Obispo?


Not really sure why you would make that leap.
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: SBP officials eyeing flights to PDX, DFW

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Boston92 wrote:
loisencroach wrote:
Boston92 wrote:

SBA isn't "unserved". It gets a daily A319.


You quoted it without reading it. Read it again.


No, I didn't. The poster meant "unserved" in the sense of not having any service at all, not unserved with E175.


I said OAK and BUR are unserved, not SBA.

At the same time, I didn't know there was a DFW-SBA flight, so now I know.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos