atcsundevil

Re: Mexico's Interjet $$$ problems & Sukhoi fleet

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:30 pm

This discussion has nothing to do with the US Federal Reserve, or Obama, or anything along those lines. Keep the discussion on topic. Unrelated politics belong in Non Av.

✈️ atcsundevil

TerminalD

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:27 pm

b747400erf wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
b747400erf wrote:

https://qz.com/1059552/fewer-mexican-tr ... -election/

By March, the latest data available from the US government, tourism from Mexico had plummeted by 16% compared with the same month last year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trad ... SKBN1CL2CC

Mexico’s Finance Minister Jose Antonio Meade said on Monday that the peso’s recent depreciation reflects uncertainty about the NAFTA renegotiation process and questions about how quickly the U.S. Federal Reserve will normalize rates.

Need more?

I don't know tourism, but according to MIDT, O&D traffic to Mexico from the USA is up 10.3% YTD through Summer and averaged +10% in the Jun-Aug Summer period as well.

Also, April T100 (the most recent month for intl), shows total passenger volume USA-Mexico jumped from 1.09m each way in April 2016 to 1.29m each way in April 2017.

So, I don't know the sources of this "travel to Mexico has cratered due to the President", but it is baseless. The data shows strongly the opposite. It's *possible* tourism is down, but then business and VFR are shooting up like a rocketship to offset it...so bottom line, it's all B.S. The market is up strongly.

where is your citation?

the numbers you cite, without a citation, are most likely due to the change in the bilateral agreement starting in August.

I stated that tourism numbers are decreasing. I also stated the attempts to remove America from NAFTA. These are big barriers to a small airline trying to fill their seats in new routes on new airplanes. The business climate is unstable. Mexico's currency is suffering and could get worse if the American Federal Reserve raises interest rates. Every single one of these are the result of the current American administration.

Where is the citation?
"according to MIDT"
"Also, April T100"

Just gotta read...

KrustyTheKlown

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 pm

If Interjet's problems were mainly due to US-MX traffic its closest peer should have similar problems but Volaris seems to be doing fine.

To me it seems the SSJ100 are Interjet's biggest problem because not only more than a few of them aren't making money but Interjet has to use their larger A320s to replace them in thin routes (i.e. flying half empty).

lightsaber

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 pm

sergegva wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
I wish the SSJ100 well, but it just has too many issues. I gave then a fair chance, but too many are parked, not just by internet. Look at the abandoned fleet in Russia.

Some late links:
Airfleets shows 13 parked:
http://www.airfleets.net/exploit/production-ssj.htm

I don't think this number is a good indicator.
5 of them (MSN 12, 13, 14, 15, 17) are early production birds. Aeroflot shortly used them, then they were exchanged for newer aircraft. It's SSJ100's terrible teens.
5 of them belongs to bankrupted companies. They are also relatively old (between MSN 7 - 31)
1 was a test plane (MSN 4)

These 11 aircraft more or less never flew. In any case, there is nothing new with them.
The remaining two are Interjet's XA-PBA (substantially damaged in 2015 when it hit a passenger jetway while being towed), and IrAero's RA-89034 who seems to be in service (flightradar24).

According to Planespotters/Airfleet, except Interjet's accidented aircraft, since MSN 32 100% of them are currently in service (newest = MSN 135).
I'm not saying that there isn't any problems with the SSJ-100. But the fact that Sukhoi was not able to deliver more than 18 new aircreft in 2017 (well... it's not as worse as Cseries :shhh:), and that nobody in the west ordered a SSJ100 since Citijet's test, is maybe a better indicator of eventual problems.

Combine my previous link of 98% dispatch reliability the was bragged about (I posted a link earlier). That is a big problem.

I'd like to know what other airlines are or are not parking SSJs.

Show me high utilization (8 or more flights or 9+ hours per day) and we'll know the SSJ is OK. But this is for a fleet, not a line. No one is bragging about SSJ utilization, that is telling.

For reference, HA flies 14 flights per day with the 717, with a surge up to 17 in peak season.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

abrelosojos

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:16 pm

I am still surprised that InterJet has not overhauled their management team given all these challenges. Just poach from Volaris and Aeroméxico?!

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Wayfarer515

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:15 am

Spacepope wrote:
sergegva wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
I wish the SSJ100 well, but it just has too many issues. I gave then a fair chance, but too many are parked, not just by internet. Look at the abandoned fleet in Russia.

Some late links:
Airfleets shows 13 parked:
http://www.airfleets.net/exploit/production-ssj.htm

I don't think this number is a good indicator.
5 of them (MSN 12, 13, 14, 15, 17) are early production birds. Aeroflot shortly used them, then they were exchanged for newer aircraft. It's SSJ100's terrible teens.
5 of them belongs to bankrupted companies. They are also relatively old (between MSN 7 - 31)
1 was a test plane (MSN 4)

These 11 aircraft more or less never flew. In any case, there is nothing new with them.
The remaining two are Interjet's XA-PBA (substantially damaged in 2015 when it hit a passenger jetway while being towed), and IrAero's RA-89034 who seems to be in service (flightradar24).

According to Planespotters/Airfleet, except Interjet's accidented aircraft, since MSN 32 100% of them are currently in service (newest = MSN 135).
I'm not saying that there isn't any problems with the SSJ-100. But the fact that Sukhoi was not able to deliver more than 18 new aircreft in 2017 (well... it's not as worse as Cseries :shhh:), and that nobody in the west ordered a SSJ100 since Citijet's test, is maybe a better indicator of eventual problems.

One thing sticks out here: 18 aircraft delivered last year, alleged powerplant issues, and 36 shipsets of engines produced per year (but still the engine production capacity being pointed out as the problem by our cheerleader member)... something doesn't add up.

Meh, either you have some serious reading deficiency skills or you did not even bother to read the article in its entirety, they are only barely keeping up with engine production for the new airframes and are able just to build a few for spares/substitution. In any case, just check Cityjet's EI-FWD and EI-FWE flying for BN, and you will see in the past few months these birds have been basically flying non-stop, EI-FWC which is destined to be on standby, is barely being used lately and will soon move back to Cityjet's fleet. I am not saying the SSJ doesn't have issues still, I am just saying that in this specific case it is a Powerjet issue, not Sukhoi's.

BTW, the main issue with the airframe itself as of the latest report from SCAC is the air conditioning sensor wrongly reporting a fault, but since this is a MEL component most of the time it results in a no go until a certified technician can confirm this is a false positive. IIRC correctly there were somewhere around 47+ flights cancelled last year because of this single item, something that should have been dealt with some time ago and that SCAC has failed to address properly.

Wayfarer515

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:50 am

Finally all the myths and rumors on this matter have been dispelled by no other than the CEO of IAJ, I will reserve my comments since I think the explanations given by Mr.Garza are clear enough, e.g. calling the SSJ a money-making machine:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... en-443424/

Polot

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I’m no expert, but isn’t a dispatch reliability of <90% pretty awful (especially as that is not including aircraft out for maintence or the nebulous “other work.”)?

rrlopes

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Polot wrote:
I’m no expert, but isn’t a dispatch reliability of <90% pretty awful (especially as that is not including aircraft out for maintence or the nebulous “other work.”)?

I was going to comment the same. I can reconcile having a <90% Dispatch Reliability with being a "Money-Maker".

Maybe it's a money maker for their MRO provider... ;)

Polot

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:59 pm

rrlopes wrote:
Polot wrote:

I was going to comment the same. I can reconcile having a <90% Dispatch Reliability with being a "Money-Maker".

Well the capital cost of 10 SSJs at Interjet is equal to the predelivery payment of one A320.

In order words Interjet are getting the planes for a song. Yet Interjet still has a huge A320 fleet with a large Neo order...

ap305

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Superjet say in the article that the 90% quote is availability rather than dispatch reliability. What stands out is that the capital cost of 10 ssj is equal to one pre-delivery payment for a single a320?
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna

lightsaber

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:24 pm

rrlopes wrote:
Polot wrote:

90% being available is... not a money maker. Sukhoi needs to find out what is wrong and fix it.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

usflyer msp

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm

It would have been helpful if they provided figures for iaj's 32X fleet in comparison - otherwise it seems like they are playing semantics games...

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:46 pm

lightsaber wrote:
90% being available is... not a money maker. Sukhoi needs to find out what is wrong and fix it.

Lightsaber

I don't doubt that it is a money maker if they got the SSJ for the price they claim: "Interjet negotiated a "sweet deal" with the airframer for the SSJ100, with the capital cost of 10 aircraft roughly equal to the pre-delivery payment for one Airbus A320" (from article).

Capital cost or lease rates are part of overall cost and affect profit/loss. Get something cheap enough... and high maintenance and normal operating cost do not matter so much...

Have a great day,

lightsaber

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:30 am

2175301 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I don't doubt that it is a money maker if they got the SSJ for the price they claim: "Interjet negotiated a "sweet deal" with the airframer for the SSJ100, with the capital cost of 10 aircraft roughly equal to the pre-delivery payment for one Airbus A320" (from article).

Capital cost or lease rates are part of overall cost and affect profit/loss. Get something cheap enough... and high maintenance and normal operating cost do not matter so much...

Have a great day,

There is always a trade between variable and fixed costs. But if the availability is really only 90%, the low fixed costs will be destroyed by high costs for non-availability. e.g., we know Interjet has had to dispatch Airbus aircraft to compensate. There is a high cost for poor service (no repeat customers).

Basically, every percent of missed service costs about 2.5% to 3% of total costs. Since aircraft purchase is less than 15% of operating costs, a 10% loss in service means that *more* than the cost of a Western aircraft is being eaten up by poor reliability. You cannot plan away 90% availability. That means you have to keep 25% to 30% of the aircraft off line as backups with backup pilots. Serviced to be ready.

Recall this is a scheduled airline that must have a plane ready to fly at the appointed time. Even worse is when a 2nd aircraft has to be flown in to recover a crew and passengers. That costs far more than a reliable aircraft.

If operating unreliable aircraft was a viable business model, we wouldn't have seen so many poorly run companies go bankrupt. It can be done. For example, at the end the 733s in WNs fleet were doing poorly. WN just kept 20%+ available as a backup.

Do recall aircraft must be maintained on the calendar, cycles, and hours. There is a high per month cost for keeping an aircraft ready to use. It is generally only viable to do so as an aircraft is being retired in mass.

Lightsaber

Wayfarer515

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:44 am

Let's be careful about pointing the blame to Sukhoi, the article mentions it is due to the Sam146 and not the airframe itself. It also seems there is always a spare aircraft ready whenever an issue arises. Not ideal, but they seem to manage. It seems Cityjet does the same always having one spare airframe available for SN.

As for the acquisition cost, I think there is something lost in translation there, AFAIK these frames went for IAJ at a price of 16MUSD a piece, which means that the pre-payment of 10 airframes somewhere around 1.6MUSD each, making 10 airframes the equivalent of the pre-delivery payment for an A320 somewhere around 1.6MUSDx10. I don't think Sukhoi gave them a 1.6MUSD price tag for them, not even AFL go this deal(AFL's SSJs went somewhere around 15MUSD each).

NWAROOSTER

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:01 am

If the. SSJ100 is going to be marketed to airlines in the Western Hemisphere there needs to be a certified Maintenance Facility that is the in the Western Hemisphere that is fully capable of repairing, making certified parts or obtaining them with out a long term wait for parts for a grounded aircraft that doesn't make money. This includes all Maintenance checks including C and D checks. If there is no overhaul facility in the Western Hemisphere the SSJ100 and the upcoming MC-21 have no reason to be operating in the Western Hemisphere. You cannot sell an aircraft that the manufacturer of an aircraft that cannot be supported and used in reliable flying condition. If I am not mistaken Cubana needs to ferry their aircraft to the Russian Republic for all significant maintenance.:old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

32andBelow

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:52 am

lightsaber wrote:
2175301 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Have a great day,

There is always a trade between variable and fixed costs. But if the availability is really only 90%, the low fixed costs will be destroyed by high costs for non-availability. e.g., we know Interjet has had to dispatch Airbus aircraft to compensate. There is a high cost for poor service (no repeat customers).

Basically, every percent of missed service costs about 2.5% to 3% of total costs. Since aircraft purchase is less than 15% of operating costs, a 10% loss in service means that *more* than the cost of a Western aircraft is being eaten up by poor reliability. You cannot plan away 90% availability. That means you have to keep 25% to 30% of the aircraft off line as backups with backup pilots. Serviced to be ready.

Recall this is a scheduled airline that must have a plane ready to fly at the appointed time. Even worse is when a 2nd aircraft has to be flown in to recover a crew and passengers. That costs far more than a reliable aircraft.

If operating unreliable aircraft was a viable business model, we wouldn't have seen so many poorly run companies go bankrupt. It can be done. For example, at the end the 733s in WNs fleet were doing poorly. WN just kept 20%+ available as a backup.

Do recall aircraft must be maintained on the calendar, cycles, and hours. There is a high per month cost for keeping an aircraft ready to use. It is generally only viable to do so as an aircraft is being retired in mass.

Lightsaber

Yah but if they are that cheap running 2-3 spares should be cost effective and cover 15+ at 90% reliability.

Gregd75

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 am

Interjet has announced that they will cease operating on 5 rountes from Mexico City; Aguascalientes, Campeche, La Paz, Minatitlan and Reynosa, stating slot restrictions as the reason.

However, no other airline is mentioning slot restrictions-so why would this only apply to Interjet and not others, such as Aeromexico, Vivaaerobus and Volaris?

Of course, the other interesting point is that these 5 routes were Sukhoi operated.

So.... does Interjet have financial problems or problems with the superjet?

mercure1

Stranded Russian Jets in Mexican Hangars Haunt Troubled Airline

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Four of the Mexican airline’s Sukhoi Superjet 100s -- out of a fleet of 22 -- have been grounded for at least five months because of engine maintenance delays. The Russian-made aircraft, which average just four years old, are now being cannibalized, an industry term for when a plane is slowly scrapped for parts to keep other jets running.

A grounded plane is a wasted plane, and Interjet’s offline aircraft are symbolic of an airline that’s veered off course. Once one of Mexico’s hopefuls to bring a new era of competition to the industry, Interjet has muddled along with a questionable strategy while more nimble rivals have appeared on the scene. Now, the stranded Sukhoi Superjets are adding to concerns about whether ABC Aerolineas, the company’s formal name, will ever thrive.

Interjet made a splash as Mexico’s first airline for the budget-conscious flyer when it was founded in 2005. The company’s regional focus and deeply discounted ticket prices quickly turned it into the No. 2 airline by passengers as of 2011. But in the years that followed, the carrier hit turbulent skies, causing the company’s overall market share to stagnate while ultra-low-cost rival Controladora Vuela Compania de Aviacion, known as Volaris, has seen its stake soar. “It’ll be hard for it to survive without a change of strategy,” Ozores says. “It’s hard operating in the middle.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ed-airline

Seems Interjet not only are stuck with a troubled aircraft, their entire business model might be flawed being stuck in the middle between full service carrier like Aeromexico and LCCs Volaris and Viva

TC957

Re: Stranded Russian Jets in Mexican Hangars Haunt Troubled Airline

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Not good. What are Sukhoi doing about this ?

reffado

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Maintenance has always been what's plagued Russian airliners, hasn't it? I hoped to see the trend die with the SSJ, but I guess the theme still stands. Hopefully Sukhoi can assist in getting this resolved soon.

andrefranca

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm

travelled with interjet twice and found their service professional but waay too pricey, so for that reasons I think more and more mexicans will tag to volaris and vivaaerobus...
Andre F. :blockhead:

iceberg210

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm

You wonder at what point they'll say screw it, pull down their flying a bit and transform to an all Airbus fleet, or if they have the resources if they'll look at the E2 MRJ or C Series instead. Being the first for anything is hard and being the first North American SSJ I'm sure has been no picnic, but with next generation jets on the horizon you wonder if it might be a good time to jump off the wagon and move on from the experiment.

KarelXWB

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Interjet being in trouble seems to be based on speculation:

“There are doubts about the viability of the business,” says Carlos Ozores, an air-transport specialist at ICF,

Interjet confirmed the grounded aircraft but said it’s in good financial shape.

So which one is true?

Airline is still receiving brand new Airbus aircraft though.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

LAXintl

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:06 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

So which one is true?

Interjet is privately held (their IPO was pulled) so its finances can be murky at best.

Based on financial numbers it publicly releases (very late) its long tended to lag peers. So while on paper they do report a profit, I think we can probably say the true financial picture of the company is a bit less clear due to its structure and lack of reporting clarity.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Slug71

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:38 pm

reffado wrote:
Maintenance has always been what's plagued Russian airliners, hasn't it? I hoped to see the trend die with the SSJ, but I guess the theme still stands. Hopefully Sukhoi can assist in getting this resolved soon.

Yup. And their fighters. Was really hoping the JV with SAFRAN would be a positive step forward.

Siren

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Slug71 wrote:

Yup. And their fighters. Was really hoping the JV with SAFRAN would be a positive step forward.

If the rumors are to be believed, Safran is the reason for the SSJ maintenance issues - ie, they are not manufacturing necessary replacement parts due to some arcane business reasons, and my understanding is that NPO Saturn wants to take over the construction of the necessary parts. This is the chatter I've heard from the maintenance guys I know - so take it with a grain of salt. But, it doesn't look good. The western partners have consistently dropped the ball on the SSJ.... First, Alenia, and then Safran...
Siren: 32 year old single white female based @ KLAX. Aviation nerd, political wonk, disability rights activist, German car enthusiast, Californian Independence leader & evangelist

Slug71

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Siren wrote:
Slug71 wrote:

If the rumors are to be believed, Safran is the reason for the SSJ maintenance issues - ie, they are not manufacturing necessary replacement parts due to some arcane business reasons, and my understanding is that NPO Saturn wants to take over the construction of the necessary parts. This is the chatter I've heard from the maintenance guys I know - so take it with a grain of salt. But, it doesn't look good. The western partners have consistently dropped the ball on the SSJ.... First, Alenia, and then Safran...

Interesting. Well if there is any truth to that, I'm sure Safran has good reason. It really would be a shame though. Wonder if it has anything to do with NPO Saturn bringing chinese engineers on board. Or the fact that they aren't being used for anything else (MC-21 or CR929). Actually, I don't even think Powerjet will be used on the SSJ 130.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:17 am

Didn't we just have a Norweigan has $$$$ problems forum. For now this is just a rumor. Sounds like some ssj management issues and trouble getting parts.

They have been quite happy with the ssj, I flew on it , I found interjet ssj extremely nice and the crew raved how much thru enjoy it.

AirbusMDCFAN

Stranded Russian Jets in Mexican Hangars Haunt Troubled Airline

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 am

Link/Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ed-airline

"In cavernous jet hangars in and around Mexico City, Interjet has a secret."

"Four of the Mexican airline’s Sukhoi Superjet 100s -- out of a fleet of 22 -- have been grounded for at least five months because of engine maintenance delays. " "The Russian-made aircraft, which average just four years old, are now being cannibalized, an industry term for when a plane is slowly scrapped for parts to keep other jets running."

"Now, the stranded Sukhoi Superjets are adding to concerns about whether ABC Aerolineas, the company’s formal name, will ever thrive."

Could Interjet transform it's business model into that of likes of VivaMexico as an Ultra Low Cost Carrier.
Are the Sukhoi Superjets part of the issue with higher operating and maintence costs.

Armadillo1

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:14 am

if your competitor need such articles it means you doing right.

Interjet has no need to "transform as ULC" as they feeling good with they own strategy.
for 2017
https://www.20minutos.com.mx/noticia/31 ... diciembre/
they transferred 11 984 966 px (+12%)

and ssj for them still money maker and trusted plane, using up to 8 segment route in 1 day
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... en-443424/

Armadillo1

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:22 am

also, Volaris grounded 4 of 11 A319, and Aeromexico Connect - all 19 E135/145

it all about market demand.

about grounded ssj:
XA-JLG - substantially damaged barrel
XA-PBA - nose damage, grounded since 2015

the rest is
XA-BVM
XA-JLV
and i think can be used when they will be needed

also about "Interjet need to transform"
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlin ... yoffs.html

holcakker

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 am

If it was a successful type then the debates wouldn't be about if marginal airlines can make it work or not.

cedarjet

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 am

SSJ is a pretty successful aircraft especially for the once-flailing Russian industry. 150 airframes delivered, with 37 deliveries scheduled for 2018. It’s not Airbus but pretty respectable. In the decade of the 90s and early 2000s, there were plenty of years where Aviastar were building ONE Tu-204 a year.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

holcakker

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 am

As of today 19 are listed as "stored". Why the operators are not using it if it's so good?

In the decade of the 90s and early 2000s, there were plenty of years where Aviastar were building ONE Tu-204 a year.

Yet the world did just fine without russian built aircraft.

EMBSPBR

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

I love this and it says everything: what you pay is what you get !!!

Excerpts:

The decision to buy them was a technical and economical one,” he says, calling the deal an “extraordinary acquisition agreement” the company wouldn’t have gotten from Brazilian maker Embraer SA."

"JSC Sukhoi doesn’t have a single maintenance facility in the Americas."

The supply chain with this aircraft has been a process,” Garza says from his office overlooking the Mexico City airport. “But we’re getting to where we want to be with them.” To ease maintenance problems, a $7 million consignment stock is being set up this year with Sukhoi parts, he said."

PW100

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/interjet-cannibalising-four-grounded-ssj100s-report-444861

FlightGlobal wrote:
Interjet cannibalising four grounded SSJ100s: report
Mexico's Interjet has grounded four Sukhoi Superjet 100s and is cannibalising the aircraft for parts to keep its remaining 18 SSJ100s operational, according to a report by Bloomberg.

Financial picture may stll be worthwhile . . . :

Garza then referred to the aircraft as a "money-making machine", pointing out that the airline had negotiated a "sweet deal" for its SSJ100 order, with the capital cost of 10 aircraft about equal with the pre-delivery payment for one Airbus A320 - the other type that Interjet operates.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

dtw2hyd

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Read the entire thread, but didn't find what issues SSJ199 has, other than OMG, Interjet is cannibalizing.

If a frame has to be grounded longterm because of engine issues, structural issues or heavy check, "cannibalizing" it to keep rest of the fleet active is a normal industry practice. I know it is not inline with a.net best MX practices guide, but who cares.

As long as those "cannibalized" parts are back in stock through purchase or TCS or exchange program, before the underlying long-term issue is addressed, it is fine.

Wayfarer515

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Interesting response of Mr. Garza regarding these recent flurry of attacks on the SSJ:

1. The issues are with the engine overhaul, not with lack of spares, so no cannibalization whatsoever.
2. The attacks on the SSJ are only because of "obvious", yet unsubstantiated reasons??
3. They chose the SSJ over the E-jet because it is a more capable, efficient and comfortable airplane.
4. They have already renegotiated the last 8 airframes to an operational lease rather than a financial lease plus some other perks.(I am guessing similar terms to what Cityjet has).
5. All of them will be flying in Q12018.

http://enelaire.mx/aclara-interjet-que- ... enimiento/

n7371f
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:04 am

Loco.

Interjet just quietly changed the financing on its remaining Sukhoi jets to lease from purchase (I believe it is 6 remaining). For those who don't know, swapping pre-deliveries from purchased to leased is quite popular with airlines having liquidity problems. This allows Interjet to keep more (badly needed) cash on hand and allow the lessor to put up the majority of money prior to delivery.

This process is done for reasons far different than a sale/lease-back on delivery, which is popular with all airlines worldwide.

Might want to circle next year as the period where Interjet possibly fails. Looking more and more possible...

Wayfarer515 wrote:
Interesting response of Mr. Garza regarding these recent flurry of attacks on the SSJ:

1. The issues are with the engine overhaul, not with lack of spares, so no cannibalization whatsoever.
2. The attacks on the SSJ are only because of "obvious", yet unsubstantiated reasons??
3. They chose the SSJ over the E-jet because it is a more capable, efficient and comfortable airplane.
4. They have already renegotiated the last 8 airframes to an operational lease rather than a financial lease plus some other perks.(I am guessing similar terms to what Cityjet has).
5. All of them will be flying in Q12018.

http://enelaire.mx/aclara-interjet-que- ... enimiento/

r2rho

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Too much speculation and too little information in this thread.
Topped off with the usual Cold War anti-Russian bias.

I think we can infer that Interjet is probably having some liquidity problems, and the SSJ probably has some spare part problems, likely to do with the engine (which was always the limiting factor in the production rate, this is not new), and probably on the Safran side. What exactly we don't know. And somehow all this is coming together, and Sukhoi's and Interjet's competitors are smelling the blood and are pushing a campaign in the industry media.

As of today 19 are listed as "stored". Why the operators are not using it if it's so good?

Please read further up the thread for details about this. Hint: terrible teens.

Well if there is any truth to that, I'm sure Safran has good reason.

Safran currently has its hands full fixing the Silvercrest and ramping up the Leap. SaM146 is probably the lowest thing on their management's priority list right now. So there is probably some truth to this, and to Saturn wanting to pick up that work that Safran currently doesn't have the resoureces for.

If the. SSJ100 is going to be marketed to airlines in the Western Hemisphere there needs to be a certified Maintenance Facility that is the in the Western Hemisphere that is fully capable of repairing, making certified parts or obtaining them with out a long term wait

What is needed is a spares distribution center, not an MRO facility. By the way, it is precisely airlines of the Western Hemisphere who are increasingly sending their aircraft to cheap labor countries - well outside the Western Hemisphere - for heavy maintenance.

KarelXWB

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 pm

EMBSPBR wrote:
"JSC Sukhoi doesn’t have a single maintenance facility in the Americas."

Sukhoi doesn't need a maintenance facility as long as Interjet is the single customer of the type in the Americas. Interjet should be able to perform maintenance themselves, unless the supply chain is unable to deliver spare parts.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos