FlyboyOz
Topic Author

Are U Afraid To Look At Engines Through Windows?

Mon Feb 25, 2002 7:47 am

Hey

When I was on the plane, I closed the window blind because I don't like to look at the engines. The engines are shaking all the time and also even the wings bend up. It makes me so worried too much. Then I really hate to look the engines shaking!

So..Are u afraid to look at the engines?

Cheers
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

BA

RE: Are U Afraid To Look At Engines Through Windows?

Mon Feb 25, 2002 7:59 am

That's one of my favorite parts about flying. The wings and engines shaking during turbulence.

It's great during landings and take-off when the flaps shake on there own.

Honestly, I'd be worried if they weren't. Because that'd mean they will snap.

Just like a wooden roller coaster, if the wood is not vibrating and shaking side to side, that's bad, it means the rollercoaster is going to snap.

Just my opinion.  Smile

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:06 am

That has to be one of the funniest things I have heard in awhile. Not to be sadistic or anything, but if turbulence if going to rip off the engines then (1) you've got a lot more to worry about and (2) they are going to fall off with or without your window shade open. Like they say, sit back, relax and enjoy your flight. Most importantly......R E L A X.

SJCguy

Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:39 am

Next time you see a wing flexing, or an engine wobbling, consider this a good thing. At the speed you are going, if those engines and wings weren't given a little grace point to bend and flex, they would rip right off. If you ever go under the wing of an aircraft and right where it meets the fuselage, look at the seam...there's a gel or rubber like substance that is meant for leway during turbulence. Same with the engines. And trust me...those wings and engines can flex a ton before breaking off, a sight you will probably not see. Happy Flying!

SJCguy- SWA

mika

Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:57 am

Lymanm: Chill man

Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:06 am

On the 777, the wings can flex 24 feet upwards before failure occurs...29 for the 747.

Nothing to worry about.

baec777

Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:08 am

No, not really scared or afraid to look at the engine[s] or the wing bending during a flight. I am always close to the engine[s] when I fly on several heavies.

baec

CcrlR

Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:14 am

I like looking at the engines too! They won't fall off. I remember when I was on a America West flight and there was turburlence and the wing was shaking and I thought it was cool though. They have the stuff bolted down so that won't happen.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

quebecair727

Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:21 am

It does not really bother me but each time I just can't stop from thinking about AA191 ORD-LAX on May 25th, 1979.

If you do not know what happened, go take a look at http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/view_details.cgi?date=05251979&airline=American+Airlines

Super Em

Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:25 am

The thought of the wings holding this machine in the air always crosses my mind. However I never see the engines shaking. Maybe the wings during turbulence

Delta15

Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:26 am

SOMETIMES, WINDOW, LOOK OUT OF THE ENGINE CAN SOMETIMES SCARE ME I LIKE ENGINGE, WINDOW SEAT, DELTA 763, 764 WINDOW, BIG WINDOW WIZARD OF OZ, NO NO NO MOMMA SAY!!!HEHEHEHEHBUT POINT TO THE, WINDOW, LONG AS, FO FO, THAILAND, AND MAUI, BUT WINDOW, IT GOOD, UNLESS WIZARD OF OZ (HEHEHE) HAVE A GOOD FLIGHT

ThirtyEcho

Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:29 am

That is all very normal, although I can understand why it bothers you. We don't normally see structures that flex even though they are all around us in the form of buildings that sway in the wind, bridges that expand and contract and shock absorbers on our cars that respond to bumps in the road. I'm glad that it doesn't dissuade you from flying.

EGGD

Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:37 am

The first time I flew on a turboprop that I could remember, I was still a little apprehensive about flying, I didn't want to look at the prop just in case I saw it and it wasn't moving, something reasurring about not looking at it. False sense of security maybe?

One thing is for certain, if you don't like the engines wobbling and the wings flexing, don't fly on an A330!!!!!

Dan  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

acidradio
Crew

Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:22 am

I like to have a seat that has a good view of the front fan of the engine, then when the pilots pull back the throttles mid-air, I can look at the fan, still see it spinning and know it's just a speed reduction  Big grin
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

nighthawk

Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:56 am

I like being able to see the engine, that way i know its still there  Smile

Flying really does not bother me, i even spent the night before i went flying watching a documentary on discovery about airline disasters. Didnt bother me one bit.

UK_Dispatcher

Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:13 am

I think you're on your own there, pal!

Turbulence / a/c shaking gives me quite a thrill if anything!

lmml 14/32

Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:25 am

I used to get uncomfortable on an ageing B720b watching the engines doing ballet under the wings in turbulence.

ExitRow

RE: Are U Afraid To Look At Engines Through Window

Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:40 am

The engines are shaking all the time and also even the wings bend up.

Not to mention those gremlins on the wings...

Seriously, my brother once told me that in the old United Stretch DC-8's, the flight attendants made sure several sets of center aisle curtains had to be shut during flight. This was done so if a passenger in the back looked straight down the aisle, they'd wouldn't see the entire fuselage flex wildly during flight. All normal and part of the design.

I actually like sitting just in front of the wing. You see it all. The sky, the ground and the workings of the wing and engine. Beats the inflight magazines that's for sure.

ExitRow

RJNUT

Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:12 am

I cant believe anyone on this website would have any avaition-related fears ,whatsoever.. C,mon, we all love avation and planes, why fear it?

H. Simpson

Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:37 am

well Rjnut, we have interesting people here, everybody in the world is not the same...

I generally don't have problem when looking at the engine because I never sit next to the engine before!, always infront or behind it, but there was a trip 4 years ago on a damn old NW 742 and I saw their was a fireball BLOW out from the left right engine, we had delayed 1:30 hours due to that, the whole flight from NRT-JFK took us 18 hours!

kaitakfan

Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:17 am

I think I have questioned before how a NRT-JFK flight can take 18 hours!?! when flying LAX-SIN with a stop in Narita only took about 18.5 hours of flying time. when I went. and the distance is significantly longer!

bombayhog

Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:33 am

Rjnut, in response to your statement- I get nervous on airplanes. I love flying and I love airplanes and I fly whenever I get the chance, but I do actually get pretty nervous, on takeoff more than the rest of the flight.

I think that in a lot of ways fearing something can lead to an obsession with it. Not to get too Freudian or anything, but part of the thrill I feel when flying comes from the fear that I tend to experience once in a while.

/gwl

FlyboyOz
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:23 am

Thanks for the information! I'm interested in Aviation but the most important is SAFETY! I need to know whether the plane is OK and ready to fly in the sky. So that's why I have to keep asking questions about safety to flight attendants and pilots about whether it is smooth to fly and hopefully not passing through the turbulence!

baec777

Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:30 am

2nd reply....

No, not really scared or afraid to look at the engine[s] or the wing bending during a flight. I am always close to the engine[s] when I fly on several heavies. Im always sitting at windows when i confirms my tickets by phone 24 hrs in advance, or at the airport.

baec

delta-flyer

RE: Are U Afraid To Look At Engines Through Window

Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:34 am

I am more afraid of the drive to and from the airport. It's a relief to be in the safe confines of an airplane.

Cheers
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

n949wp

Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:35 am

Well, I kinda like this view myself. Big grin

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gordon Ho

'949

Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:44 am

That's the best part--watching the engine/wing shake is jamming.

Big777jet

Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:55 am

I have seen many times shaking engines. It has nothing to worry about it. I love to see movement engines. The only thing worse easy shaking was DC-8-71 United. The plane was on the taxiway and the engines was shaking easily! whoa! I don't mind to see shaking the engines. I love to watch when flying bumpy to see engine shaking. It's fun! Nothing to worry about it.

Big777jet

IMissPiedmont

Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:04 pm

Ah yes. One of my favourite pastimes at the Pima Air museum is to grab hold of the forward cowling on our 707 and shake it when people are around. I can only move it about two inches but it is still fun to watch peoples eyes widen.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

zebfly2

Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:08 pm

I used to be afraid to fly DC-10's after the crash in Chicago back in the late 70's. Their engines looked as if they were jumping up and down like a person on a pogo stick and the vibration from them had me gripping the armrests so tight that I probably would have ripped them off if there was a sudden jerk from turbulence.(lol) But to answer the question no, I'm not afraid. In fact, I prefer to sit near the engines just to watch the reverse thrusters in action after touch down.
Educate your children before others mis-educate them!!!

Whisperliner

For Different Reasons

Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:36 pm

I personally do not like to sit in a window seat that is too close to the engines, as I am worried that a fan blade may disintegrate and the fragments will hit and shatter the window (and I am sure you all know what happens after that)...it has happened before =(
what do u guys think?

IMissPiedmont

RE: Whisperliner

Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:40 pm

Not really. The odds of that happening are so slim as to be non existant. I worry more about getting out of the bathtub than I ever would about this.

An irrational fear, though, is still a fear.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Continental

Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:43 pm

I remembered this one lady was scared after hearing the captain say that we'd hit some big turbulence due to Severe t-storms over FRA. The flight attendant gave her a fell pills, and told her to shut her ears, look at the air conditioner, and let the air conditioner blow on her face! She was quite, then calmed down, and was comfortable the rest of the way!

Continental

VapourTrails

Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:46 pm

As long as what I am seeing is normal when I look out the window then I am not afraid! I'm not saying I don't get nervous, but I don't fly that often so it's more nervous excitment. If I flew every other week I would take it a lot more for granted, but still enjoy it though. I always like a window seat near the wing or behind it, because I don't want to spend the whole flight looking around the cabin!

Click for large version

Photo © Brian Hames

Click for large version

Photo © Graham Hitchen

Click for large version

Photo © Dean Barnes

Click for large version

Photo © Brian Stevenson - Orlando/Tampa Aviation Photography

-VapourTrails =

FlyboyOz
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:19 am

Thanks For the information!