TWFlyGuy
Topic Author

Updated: MCI New Terminal Vote Passed

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Trying to avoid having this sent to the polls forum but curious of what, if any, repercussions there will be if Kansas City, MO residents vote 'No' to a new single terminal. Does anyone know if airlines will make any decisions to draw down service in any way going forward? I have to imagine that on the next agreement for fees airlines may push the cost of the currently closed Terminal A to taxpayers and not use their fees to support a closed terminal. Thoughts?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread title updated

RJNUT

Re: MCI New Terminal Vote

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm

No service drawdown threats are imminent and Term A is mothballed . Not sure what fees are going toward maintaining it other than water and heat. The airlines would not be involved in those costs. They only pay rent on space they use plus landing fees and fuel

TWFlyGuy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:32 pm

RJNUT wrote:
No service drawdown threats are imminent and Term A is mothballed . Not sure what fees are going toward maintaining it other than water and heat. The airlines would not be involved in those costs. They only pay rent on space they use plus landing fees and fuel

Those water and heating bills are paid for through the fees. Not taxpayer money. I could see given the amount of time and effort they put into the vote, especially WN, the airlines wanting to be a lot pickier going forward and saying they want anything outside of their immediate needs removed from their fees. Let the taxpayers figure out the rest.

Most carriers will simply continue on as they are but I could see WN drawing down some of the close in Midwest service creating a spiraling situation for the airport.

sw733

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

I truly doubt any airlines will leave solely because of a no vote. They may not like it, but in the end if they're making money and feel it's worth serving Kansas City (over 2.1 million people, so not small by any means) they won't be leaving. Service just may not grow as much as it would with a new terminal.

evank516

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:44 pm

When is the vote? Tomorrow?

sw733

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 pm

evank516 wrote:
When is the vote? Tomorrow?

Yes

Jshank83

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
sw733 wrote:
I truly doubt any airlines will leave solely because of a no vote. They may not like it, but in the end if they're making money and feel it's worth serving Kansas City (over 2.1 million people, so not small by any means) they won't be leaving. Service just may not grow as much as it would with a new terminal.

Agree with this. If there is money to be made on a route, someone will run it. I don't think much service leaves just because the vote doesn't pass. I think new routes will just grow slower than if they had a better setup. No one (WN) will set up many connecting passengers in the current setup and that would continue. I'm also not convinced a new terminal will make a huge difference in service level either. Probably a few more WN flights since they could feed a few more connections through it, but that's about it. If a route make sense O&D wise, I think it would be added in either terminal setup.

KCaviator

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:45 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
Trying to avoid having this sent to the polls forum but curious of what, if any, repercussions there will be if Kansas City, MO residents vote 'No' to a new single terminal. Does anyone know if airlines will make any decisions to draw down service in any way going forward? I have to imagine that on the next agreement for fees airlines may push the cost of the currently closed Terminal A to taxpayers and not use their fees to support a closed terminal. Thoughts?

The only repercussions is that the residents and visitors of KC will be stuck with a third world airport if the vote is a “no.”

enilria

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 pm

KCaviator wrote:
TWFlyGuy wrote:

The only repercussions is that the residents and visitors of KC will be stuck with a third world airport if the vote is a “no.”

I think everybody would agree that the terminal precludes anybody running much of a connecting operation. A NO vote will continue to limit WN and preclude any new airline from attempting a focus city.

TWFlyGuy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:28 pm

sw733 wrote:

I don't think they will pull out tomorrow but will WN maybe remove some of the Midwest flying as the next need for refurbishment comes up? Things like that.

ctrabs0114

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:39 pm

As much as I like the relative ease of B Terminal at MCI having flown into and out of there a few times, especially where it's a very short walk to baggage claim from the gate compared to other cities, MCI is due for a new terminal.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL

TVNWZ

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 pm

If the passengers come, so will the airlines. No difference if "no."

TWFlyGuy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:18 pm

TVNWZ wrote:

Except they will be quickly be gate constrained and re-opening Terminal A will become more costly to open for each day it's closed. So any new adds would seemingly be countered with shuttered routes I would think.

Jshank83

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

Except they will be quickly be gate constrained and re-opening Terminal A will become more costly to open for each day it's closed. So any new adds would seemingly be countered with shuttered routes I would think.

Their new terminal pretty much will have the same amount of gates as they do now in B and C. I count 37 jetways (with a couple spots for others). The new terminal will have 35 gates that can expand to 42. So they aren't gaining much, if any.

jubguy3

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 am

TVNWZ wrote:

Thanks but this is not true at all. I'm associated with the SLC terminal reconstruction project and part of the reason that they decided to build the new airport, besides it being structurally unsound, was to increase connection capacity for delta significantly. Delta is constrained with the widebody gates in summer months (D2, D4, D6) because only two can be used at a time for widebody ops. So they have to schedule ATL-SLC, ATL-SLC-HNL, SLC-LHR, SLC-AMS, SLC-CDG and SLC-AMS on KLM within a constrictive amount of space, especially the CDG and AMS flights that are timed for connections and the ATL-SLC-HNL flight that has to arrive in the middle of the day. This is actually why growth has been limited at SLC - there are simply not enough gates even though many of them are open for large parts of the day, especially now that part of the E concourse has been eliminated for the terminal reconstruction project.

So yes, if you have gates, the airlines will come, and so will PAX. The airlines aren't going to exit MCI entirely, but they're certainly going to operate within their means if they don't get the space they want.

Maybe you guys should have been saving money with PFCs. We saved more than a billion dollars over the last few decades... keep costs low and ensure the loyalty of your airlines.

Jshank83

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:26 am

jubguy3 wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

Thanks but this is not true at all. I'm associated with the SLC terminal reconstruction project and part of the reason that they decided to build the new airport, besides it being structurally unsound, was to increase connection capacity for delta significantly. Delta is constrained with the widebody gates in summer months (D2, D4, D6) because only two can be used at a time for widebody ops. So they have to schedule ATL-SLC, ATL-SLC-HNL, SLC-LHR, SLC-AMS, SLC-CDG and SLC-AMS on KLM within a constrictive amount of space, especially the CDG and AMS flights that are timed for connections and the ATL-SLC-HNL flight that has to arrive in the middle of the day. This is actually why growth has been limited at SLC - there are simply not enough gates even though many of them are open for large parts of the day, especially now that part of the E concourse has been eliminated for the terminal reconstruction project.

So yes, if you have gates, the airlines will come, and so will PAX. The airlines aren't going to exit MCI entirely, but they're certainly going to operate within their means if they don't get the space they want.

Maybe you guys should have been saving money with PFCs. We saved more than a billion dollars over the last few decades... keep costs low and ensure the loyalty of your airlines.

You can hardly compare SLC and MCI. SLC is a major legacy airline hub airport with over twice as many passengers, including lots of connections. MCI has far less passengers and only something like 4% connecting traffic. They have different needs and the airlines at them are expecting different things from each. MCI isn't going to have a shortage of wide body gate issues. They don't have any wide bodies flying there now and probably won't have more than a couple in the future. MCI has the gates now for more flights, it just isn't the best setup. They could accommodate more flights if someone wanted to fly them though.

jubguy3

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:41 am

Jshank83 wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

You can hardly compare SLC and MCI. SLC is a major legacy airline hub airport with over twice as many passengers, including lots of connections. MCI has far less passengers and only something like 4% connecting traffic. They have different needs and the airlines at them are expecting different things from each. MCI isn't going to have a shortage of wide body gate issues. They don't have any wide bodies flying there now and probably won't have more than a couple in the future. MCI has the gates now for more flights, it just isn't the best setup. They could accommodate more flights if someone wanted to fly them though.

It was more representative of the situation as a whole that could be explained in the context of a few certain instances. MCI does not have enough capacity and their facilities are failing. They need to vote for this. If they don't now, then when? Infrastructure spending is one of the most productive and beneficial forms of spending that taxpayers can instigate. MCI, like MSY, IND, and RDU (which are airports in similar situations), will benefit from a new airport.

chalupas54

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm

I predict that the vote will fail-narrowly. Most New-MCI supporters do not live within the city limits of Kansas City. Most live in Overland Park, Shawnee, etc.

TVNWZ

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm

chalupas54 wrote:
I predict that the vote will fail-narrowly. Most New-MCI supporters do not live within the city limits of Kansas City. Most live in Overland Park, Shawnee, etc.

That is my bet. The airport needs a regional authority that can encompass all constituents. But, that won't happen, either.

enilria

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:29 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

In most cases I would argue that the cost of a new terminal actually deters airlines which has happened in DAB/MLB/IND and many others, but MCI is unique because MCI really has a shot of being a connecting hub of some sort with WN or somebody else and the current terminal really prevents that. So, in the case of MCI I think there is clearly benefit from a new terminal for the community. I think if this is voted down it will take away jobs, tourism, etc. from the area that would have been gained by having a facility that could support connecting traffic.

jplatts

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Southwest has announced plans to serve Cancun nonstop from CMH, IND, and RDU, all of which are much smaller Southwest Airlines stations than MCI is, but Southwest has not announced any plans to serve CUN nonstop from MCI. Southwest adding MCI-CUN nonstop service could possibly happen if the new terminal gets built at MCI.

Jshank83

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:49 pm

jplatts wrote:
Southwest has announced plans to serve Cancun nonstop from CMH, IND, and RDU, all of which are much smaller Southwest Airlines stations than MCI is, but Southwest has not announced any plans to serve CUN nonstop from MCI. Southwest adding MCI-CUN nonstop service could possibly happen if the new terminal gets built at MCI.

MCI also already has 3 airlines running that route. That might have something to do with WN not running it from MCI.

KCaviator

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:50 pm

jplatts wrote:

Are those markets as saturated as MCI’s though? MCI already has AA, DL, and F9, plus AM running charters for what I presume to be vacation/travel companies. While I’m 100% for a new terminal, that doesn’t change the fact that there’s already 3 and a half airlines flying this route.

chalupas54

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:55 pm

jplatts wrote:

Another reminder.

New Terminal does not equal More Flights. This is a huge fallacy being spread by KC media. Do not expect WN to dismantle STL to bring more flights to MCI.

Also, keep in mind MCI posted a deficit in passenger numbers last month. The market is not performing.

TVNWZ

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:35 pm

There you go....wrecking preconceived notions.

FlyingJhawk

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:45 pm

chalupas54 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Another reminder.

New Terminal does not equal More Flights. This is a huge fallacy being spread by KC media. Do not expect WN to dismantle STL to bring more flights to MCI.

Also, keep in mind MCI posted a deficit in passenger numbers last month. The market is not performing.

While the previous month was a deficit from August the Year over Year growth in September has risen for years. You can find the stats here...
http://flykci.com/newsroom/statistical- ... tatistics/

sw733

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:47 pm

chalupas54 wrote:

I haven't seen any proof of this at all. I see it pretty mixed around the entire metro area.

Midwestindy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

MCI also already has 3 airlines running that route. That might have something to do with WN not running it from MCI.

KCaviator wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Are those markets as saturated as MCI’s though? MCI already has AA, DL, and F9, plus AM running charters for what I presume to be vacation/travel companies. While I’m 100% for a new terminal, that doesn’t change the fact that there’s already 3 and a half airlines flying this route.

WN just announced PIT-CUN, and PIT has AA/Apple Vacations/DL/Vacation Express on that route and IND/CMH/RDU(year-round) have at least 2 carriers to CUN, WN could open up CUN from MCI and easily push out F9 and AM...

enilria wrote:
In most cases I would argue that the cost of a new terminal actually deters airlines which has happened in DAB/MLB/IND and many others, but MCI is unique because MCI really has a shot of being a connecting hub of some sort with WN or somebody else and the current terminal really prevents that. So, in the case of MCI I think there is clearly benefit from a new terminal for the community. I think if this is voted down it will take away jobs, tourism, etc. from the area that would have been gained by having a facility that could support connecting traffic.

I would say that is half the story though, IND's new terminal came at exactly the worst time when airlines were cutting routes/flights across the board. IND needed to build a new terminal there is no way around it, it just came at an unfortunate time. IND was basically in the same boat that MCI is today, the new terminal at IND was meant(at least in part) to allow DL to expand their operations(hence DL basically having A concourse to themselves) similar to the possibility of WN expanding at MCI today.
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

chalupas54

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:53 pm

FlyingJhawk wrote:
chalupas54 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Another reminder.

While the previous month was a deficit from August the Year over Year growth in September has risen for years. You can find the stats here...

Even with that, the growth occurring in the MCI market is not keeping up with peer airports. To deny there is a market problem in Kansas City is covering up an issue. American, Southwest, Allegiant, and Frontier have all cut frequencies and flights out of MCI. To blame it on the airport facility is an excuse. Even as airport officials at MCI have said: There is currently nothing preventing an airline from operating at MCI. The cuts are market-based. Anyone trying to convice otherwise is being deceptive. I do believe MCI needs a new terminal. However, I believe it is being sold for the wrong reasons.

chalupas54

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:56 pm

sw733 wrote:
chalupas54 wrote:

I haven't seen any proof of this at all. I see it pretty mixed around the entire metro area.

I should have rephrased this. The most vocal opponents of the airport live in the city limits. The most vocal supporters do not appear to.

sw733

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:56 pm

ITT: Kansas City should get a new airport so that a fifth airline can start seasonal, 1x weekly service to Cancun...

blhp68

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:58 pm

chalupas54 wrote:
FlyingJhawk wrote:
chalupas54 wrote:

Another reminder.

Even with that, the growth occurring in the MCI market is not keeping up with peer airports. To deny there is a market problem in Kansas City is covering up an issue. American, Southwest, Allegiant, and Frontier have all cut frequencies and flights out of MCI. To blame it on the airport facility is an excuse. Even as airport officials at MCI have said: There is currently nothing preventing an airline from operating at MCI. The cuts are market-based. Anyone trying to convice otherwise is being deceptive. I do believe MCI needs a new terminal. However, I believe it is being sold for the wrong reasons.

Agree with Chalupa. The proponents jumped the gun on the reasons why. I have been trying to educate folks beyond the incorrect assumptions being made. Instead focusing on the long term plan for the terminal, changing economics, airline needs, etc vs. "losing business or flights" because we don't do anything.

To be fair to the media, they did talk about flights and the airport: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 21881.html

KCaviator

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:12 pm

sw733 wrote:
ITT: Kansas City should get a new airport so that a fifth airline can start seasonal, 1x weekly service to Cancun...

:lol:

RJNUT

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 am

Only 5 per cent of precincts in, but running 68 percent yes 32 percent no

Jshank83

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:57 am

Looks like it isn't even going to be a close vote.

chalupas54

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:03 am

Very surprised. Hope it passes.

KentB27

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 am

chalupas54 wrote:
sw733 wrote:
chalupas54 wrote:

I should have rephrased this. The most vocal opponents of the airport live in the city limits. The most vocal supporters do not appear to.

I've lived in Kansas City my whole life and I would agree. Another thing that could be a factor too is that I sense there is a lot of apathy towards a new terminal at MCI. Most people who live in the KC metro simply don't use MCI enough to really have much of opinion on whether a new terminal is something they want or not. If I asked all of my friends and family in KC about how they feel about this topic most of them would probably tell me that they don't care because they only use MCI a few times a year or less.

Indy

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:42 am

"In Platte County, the new terminal was fetching 75 percent of the vote with nearly half of the precincts reporting. In Clay County, two-thirds of the precincts were in and a new terminal was winning with 70 percent of the vote."

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 47946.html

This is going to be exciting for Kansas City.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

FlyingJhawk

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:44 am

While the vote is not official, I will cancel my plans to move from the area. The metro area rejoices.

But seriously, I lived in the area and used KCI since 1981 and this is freakin' amazing. I was beginning to think my children would never see a new terminal at KCI.

RJNUT

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:53 am

I was in the high school band that was at the dedication of this facility in 1972, but I voted yes! . I actually pine for the old downtown airport which was so cool.
It is now declared a landslide for YES vote

dochawk2

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:14 am

I thought it would shake out 48% yes, 52%no. I’m so pleased with this landslide victory. Now, let’s see how long it will actually take to build.
God, give us wings to fly!

LuvMoreMCI

Kansas City passes new terminal for MCI Airport

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:22 am

New terminal vote passes 70 to 30%. Southwest donations help support passage. I wonder when terminal is complete, will they restore flights to RDU. SMF, PVD they had in the 90s when it was an unofficial focus city for WN during the MDW rebuild.

LuvMoreMCI

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:30 am

Glad to see the terminal pass. What is causing the decrease in flights and passengers to the area? Metro area is growing much faster than STL area, but is lagging STL in flights.

TVNWZ

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:38 am

Great victory. Go MCI!

Cactus739

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:42 am

I have to admit I’m rather surprised it passed. I do love MCI as an arriving passenger.... off the plane and to economy parking in mere minutes. However it’s an unpleasant airport to depart from. Can’t wait to see this project take shape.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

KCaviator

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:42 am

Congrats to this city! Great day to be a Kansas Citian!

AWACSooner

Re: Kansas City passes new terminal for MCI Airport

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:05 am

LuvMoreMCI wrote:
New terminal vote passes 70 to 30%. Southwest donations help support passage. I wonder when terminal is complete, will they restore flights to RDU. SMF, PVD they had in the 90s when it was an unofficial focus city for WN during the MDW rebuild.

And restore OKC service

ctrabs0114

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 am

Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Yet, WN recently announced seasonal weekly (Saturday) PIT-CUN service starting next June, even though AA, DL and two tour operators already operate that route. It's not as though there isn't a precedent for WN to potentially add an MCI-CUN route in the future based on their moves in PIT.

ctrabs0114

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 am

I know it's a few years away, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new KMCI terminal works out. I agree with the article that was posted earlier in the thread that arriving flights are a breeze, but departing can be a pain in the neck at times.

NZ321

Re: Kansas City passes new terminal for MCI Airport

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:49 am

Call it wishful thinking :) but now there is opportunity for MCI to be a hub city for midwest flights.

OKC, DSM, OMA, LNK, CID, FSD, SUX, ICT, ROC, MSN, GBD, GCK, SLN, TUL, FSM, SGF, LIT, LBF, RAP, AMA, FSM, JAN..... for example. For a number of these regional cities MCI would be a more convenient and shorter connection point than backtracking to ORD, DFW, DEN.

MCI could then field more frequency on key routes to major coastal cities. With an efficient connection terminal a lot more is possible.
Plane mad!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos