dr1980
Topic Author

Nova Scotia Premier says Enthusiasm growing for direct flights to China

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Maybe i’m just being a pessimistic Nova Scotian, but this seems very far fetched. It’s quite a long haul for what i can only imagine would be a thin market.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova ... -1.4391203
A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 B06 B462 B712 B722 B732 B733 B735 B736 B73G B738 B752 B762 B763 B764 B77W C152 CRJ1 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DC93 E135 E140 E145 E170 E190 J328 MD83 MD88 MD90

cedarjet

Re: Nova Scotia Premier says Enthusiasm growing for direct flights to China

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Utterly ridiculous — which means 100+ replies on a.net!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

YVRing

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:21 pm

I mean there may be demand for once or twice a week with all the chinese students in the region along with tourism and some code share/jv connections to other nearby cities... It's not like the flight would have to be profitable...

Overthecascades

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 pm

The province is not well known in China at all.

zakuivcustom

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 pm

I thought the like of MIA TPAC is ridiculous enough. Then we have something that actually beat that.

The article talk about lobster - although I'm not sure how many Chinese (in China) would say "Nova Scotia Lobster" instead of "Canadian lobster" in general (I've only heard of "Boston lobster", even if it's most likely not from Boston itself :p). The Chinese population in the maritime provinces is minimal, and any of those traffic can be much better served through YYZ anyway.

Oh well, never say never, but I'm personally pessimistic about it, even if Chinese airlines in general have too much money too waste.

MAH4546

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:43 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
I thought the like of MIA TPAC is ridiculous enough. Then we have something that actually beat that.

The single largest market in Norh America to East Asia without a nonstop is Miami (then Philadelphia and Orlando). So I guess talking about any new North America-East Asia gateway is absurd.
a.

TerminalD

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:50 pm

dr1980 wrote:
Maybe i’m just being a pessimistic Nova Scotian, but this seems very far fetched. It’s quite a long haul for what i can only imagine would be a thin market.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova ... -1.4391203

Pass the pipe?

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm

laughable stock

whywhyzee

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Counterpoint- what about a YHZ-YYZ-Asia or YHZ-YUL-Asia same plane service. Technically still direct, and it would make it much more viable.

SuperTwin

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Could they have been talking about this in terms of direct Freighter flights?

If they meant passenger flights, that is beyond ridiculous and coming from people who know nothing about the airline industry.
SuperTwin

raylee67

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm

There is no market for scheduled passenger flights for sure. But there could be a market for seasonal tourist charters, just like those between Japan and Yellowknife. I can see that happening with occasional flights carrying tour groups to Halifax.

There is also definitely a market for cargo flights. Note that Korean Air is already flying cargo flights from Halifax. I went to rural Nova Scotia a few months ago, and many fishermen and restaurant owners told me that so much lobsters are being exported to China these two years and they saw prices of lobsters skyrocketed. So a one or two weekly 777F to fly lobsters and scallops from Nova Scotia is probably viable, and probably quite profitable, given the cargo is quite valuable and time sensitive.

jordanh wrote:
YVRing wrote:
I mean there may be demand for once or twice a week with all the chinese students in the region along with tourism and some code share/jv connections to other nearby cities... It's not like the flight would have to be profitable...

How many Chinese students are in Nova Scotia? Six? Seven? :roll: .

I saw quite a lot of them at Dalhousie in Halifax just in June when I went there (as a tourist from Ontario). Of course you cannot compare that to the number you see at University of Toronto or UBC, but it's surprising to bump into so many Mandarin speaking student looking people near the campus (so I presume they are students). That said, I don't think the student VFR demand would be able to support direct flights, not even seasonal flights during Lunar New Year or Christmas. May be one or two chartered flights on Dec 21 and 22 would be OK.
319 320 321 332 333 342 343 345 388 707 717 732 736 73G 738 739 74R 742 743 744 74E 748 757 762 763 772 77E 77L 773 77W D10 M80 135 140 145 175 190 DH1 DH4 CRJ CR7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

jordanh

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:22 pm

YVRing wrote:

How many Chinese students are in Nova Scotia? Six? Seven? :roll:

This sounds like klm617 from DTW has moved to Nova Scotia...

Thenoflyzone

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

First off, the Canada-China bilateral is maxed out as far as Chinese carriers go. So right now, only a Canadian carrier can add more Canada-China flights. AC will not stray away from their current strategy as far as international expansion goes (which is focusing on their 3 main hubs of YYZ, YVR and YUL) and launch YHZ-PEK.

Second, the Atlantic Canada-China market is well served through YYZ and YUL. Realistically, the next logical Canadian city to get Chinese service is YEG, and even that is a long shot right now due to the bilateral restrictions. I'm not mentioning YOW because of its proximity to YUL and YYZ.

This is wishful thinking on behalf of the Nova Scotians. That is all. You cant blame them for trying.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

SaschaYHZ

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 pm

I doubt there's enough of a market....there are a lot of Asian students, but I highly doubt a non-stop flight would be worthwhile, even on a seasonal basis.

zakuivcustom

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:11 pm

SaschaYHZ wrote:
I doubt there's enough of a market....there are a lot of Asian students, but I highly doubt a non-stop flight would be worthwhile, even on a seasonal basis.

Student traffic are highly seasonal and not exactly high yield anyway.

Bilateral aside, when bigger cities like YUL only get 4/wk to PEK and 1/day to PVG, along with YYC which is 3/wk to PEK only, a flight to YHZ, where the whole province of Nova Scotia (7065) has 1/10 of # of Chinese in Calgary ALONE (75470, there are 155965 Chinese total in Alberta, with 60715 in YEG), a non-stop is a total pipe dream.

TS-IOR

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 pm

That's real enthusiasm and politicians love these kind of wows from time to time. That may be talking about freight for some apple and seafood as a funny guy said above, but no way for any passenger service, not even a one seasonal drop. The commuters and regionals to YUL and YYZ are doing a great job connecting NS to the world.

SaschaYHZ

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:16 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
SaschaYHZ wrote:

Student traffic are highly seasonal and not exactly high yield anyway.

Bilateral aside, when bigger cities like YUL only get 4/wk to PEK and 1/day to PVG, along with YYC which is 3/wk to PEK only, a flight to YHZ, where the whole province of Nova Scotia (7065) has 1/10 of # of Chinese in Calgary ALONE (75470, there are 155965 Chinese total in Alberta, with 60715 in YEG), a non-stop is a total pipe dream.

Essentially what I'm trying to say.Seeing as YUL is a little more than an hour's flight and YYZ can be a little bit on either side of 2 hours depending on wind, it's not an unreasonable way to connect.

Dominion301

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
First off, the Canada-China bilateral is maxed out as far as Chinese carriers go. So right now, only a Canadian carrier can add more Canada-China flights. AC will not stray away from their current strategy as far as international expansion goes (which is focusing on their 3 main hubs of YYZ, YVR and YUL) and launch YHZ-PEK.

Second, the Atlantic Canada-China market is well served through YYZ and YUL. Realistically, the next logical Canadian city to get Chinese service is YEG, and even that is a long shot right now due to the bilateral restrictions. I'm not mentioning YOW because of its proximity to YUL and YYZ.

This is wishful thinking on behalf of the Nova Scotians. That is all. You cant blame them for trying.

After YYC, YOW is the next largest market to mainland China, ahead of YEG. Is service to China out of YHZ realistic? Yes...if you’re talking about a weekly freighter service during lobster season. Apart from that umm no.

thekorean

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:45 am

I can see a cargo flight. Think KE flew to Halifax.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 am

thekorean wrote:
I can see a cargo flight. Think KE flew to Halifax.

Indeed they do. Random search for the flight on Flightaware, it seems like it's a single weekly flight operating ICN-ANC-ORD (as KE287) then ORD-YHZ-ANC-ICN (as KE288).
Dominion301 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

After YYC, YOW is the next largest market to mainland China, ahead of YEG. Is service to China out of YHZ realistic? Yes...if you’re talking about a weekly freighter service during lobster season. Apart from that umm no.

I do agree with a "direct" (i.e. didn't say "non-stop") cargo flight on, let say, Air China Cargo, is probable. Something like PEK-ANC-YHZ.

admanager

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 am

Well Japanese tourism to the Maritimes is not insignificant. Recent BBC story "Anne of Green Gables: The most popular redhead in Japan"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39809999.
At least we're not discussing Charlottetown to Asia, almost makes Halifax sound viable.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:29 am

admanager wrote:
Well Japanese tourism to the Maritimes is not insignificant. Recent BBC story "Anne of Green Gables: The most popular redhead in Japan"
At least we're not discussing Charlottetown to Asia, almost makes Halifax sound viable.

Percentage wise, yes, it's not insignificant. But 3500/year is only 10 PDEW, not nearly enough for a non-stop flight :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

On the flip side, though, I was randomly looking at a Japanese travel website on "most popular Canada destination" and PEI is actually up on the list (Behind Vancouver, Toronto/Niagara Falls, Montreal & Quebec, Banff/Canadian Rockies, and Yellowknife). Have to look way down to find Halifax or Nova Scotia, though.

BobPatterson

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:43 am

jordanh wrote:
YVRing wrote:

About 1,000 Chinese students at Dalhousie:

http://unews.ca/chinese-students-flock-to-dalhousie-3/
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
Counterpoint- what about a YHZ-YYZ-Asia or YHZ-YUL-Asia same plane service. Technically still direct, and it would make it much more viable.

Not really. If an Asian carrier can fill a flight to YYZ or YUL, why continue the service to YHZ? You're essentially adding the expense of operating a second leg for no gain, since you cannot sell tickets between YYZ and YHZ.

Such a potential route cannot be compared to CX between YVR-JFK or CA on YUL-HAV, as said airlines can at least sell tickets on these legs and make extra money. (CA's YUL-HAV most likely doesn't make a profit)

As for a Canadian carrier, AC will never launch scheduled flights from YHZ to Asia, be it non stop, or one stop. I can say that with 100% certainty. Hence why Nova Scotia was pitching the idea to the Chinese Ambassador, and not AC, which can actually launch YHZ-China relatively quickly, if they so wish. Chinese carriers cannot.

This might also be a gimmick orchestrated by China to try and negotiate more landing rights in Canada. Wouldn't surprise me.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

BigTexFlyer

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Utterly ridiculous — which means 100+ replies on a.net!

And will start threads about the merits of small midwestern cities to South America, Japan, and Europe (forgot, we have two of those already).

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:19 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
jordanh wrote:
YVRing wrote:

About 1,000 Chinese students at Dalhousie:

http://unews.ca/chinese-students-flock-to-dalhousie-3/

Using the logic of the OP, we got 1000 at Dalhousie, but looking at random Big 10 universities, there are 5600 Chinese at UIUC, ~3000 at IU along with ~3700 at Purdue, and ~3000 (Approximate, the only data I saw was "about 1 out of 10 students") at Iowa. So, CMI-PEK, IND-PVG, and CID-WUH daily flights should work. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not really. If an Asian carrier can fill a flight to YYZ or YUL, why continue the service to YHZ? You're essentially adding the expense of operating a second leg for no gain, since you cannot sell tickets between YYZ and YHZ.

It does depend whether Canada will allow 5th freedom (or is it 8th freedom?) for a foreign carrier. WS and AC will definitely be not happy if they do, though.

Well, unless that airline buy 500 C-Series, then maybe Canada will allow that :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

777PHX

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 pm

I can’t imagine it’s high on the list of priorities for either a Canadian or Chinese airline. Does Halifax even have a transatlantic flight, as close as they are to Europe?

ghYHZ

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 pm

For a number of year......developers have been in Germany selling Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island Vacation Properties. We now have nonstop flights on Condor 4 times weekly from Frankfurt and Munich to Halifax.

Similarly there is now Chinese Investment in Vacation Properties along Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore…..so I guess we’ll wait and see what happens!

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 pm

777PHX wrote:
I can’t imagine it’s high on the list of priorities for either a Canadian or Chinese airline. Does Halifax even have a transatlantic flight, as close as they are to Europe?

Only year-round TATL, I believe, is 2/wk YHZ-LHR on AC. They do have a fair amount of seasonal TATL flights, though (to CDG, FRA, MUC, DUB, GLA, KEF).

And it's not just TATL flights that they're lacking anyway. Not a whole ton of US flights either. There is 2/day to EWR on UA, 2/day to BOS on AC along with 1/day on WS, and 3/wk to MCO on WS. That's about it, though.

ghYHZ

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 pm

admanager wrote:

A few years ago Northwest had a DTW to Charlottetown PEI flight that was timed to connect to/from Tokyo......and it was all because Anne of Green Gables.

Go anywhere on Prince Edward Island your will find signs, menus etc in English, French and Japanese.

ghYHZ

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 pm

777PHX wrote:

AC '767 year 'round - Daily in summer 4/week in winter

Plus in Summer:
Westjet to Glasgow
Icelandair to Reykjavik
Condor to Frankfort and Munich
ASL French Airlines to Dublin and Paris

And hop a couple of hundred miles over to St. John's Newfoundland and you also have:

Air Canada daily in summer to Heathrow on an A319....but will switch to a new '737 MAX next May. Winter service is a couple of flights a week on a '767.
Then there are Westjet's two daily flights on '737s from St John's to Dublin and also Gatwick about 6 months of the year.

Tenbru73

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:42 am

New to this.
I work at YHZ. The idea of a passenger flight to Asia is Ridiculous. There's no demand that I've seen.
However, the province does wastes a lot of money on a ferry to the Maine... Who knows hahaha!

A once a week cargo flight makes sense as the airport is looking to expand in that area.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1 ... -footprint

I'm pretty sure the YHZ-MUC flight will be replaced with another FRA flight. The Condor 67's from MUC has had great loads... But it seems FRAPORT is putting pressure tactics on Condor.
https://www.travel4news.at/106403/condo ... -muenchen/

Something interesting I saw in the latest Air Canada En Route magazine (nov issue) was them showing a YHZ-FRA flight... Probably a typo.
The Condor FRA flights do come in more full than the LHR... Maybe AC notices it now.

Dominion301

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 am

777PHX wrote:

Interesting question. Assuming you’re from PHX, YHZ only has more transatlantic capacity than PHX and as mentioned above, a heck of a lot more routes to Europe than PHX does...albeit all but LHR are summer-seasonal.

777PHX

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 am

Dominion301 wrote:
777PHX wrote:

Interesting question. Assuming you’re from PHX, YHZ only has more transatlantic capacity than PHX and as mentioned above, a heck of a lot more routes to Europe than PHX does...albeit all but LHR are summer-seasonal.

All from an airport that would be fourth in size in the PHX area and seventh in movements. Fantastic!

Dominion301

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 am

777PHX wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
777PHX wrote:

All from an airport that would be fourth in size in the PHX area and seventh in movements. Fantastic!

Pretty cool eh!...but I’m not sure what you mean by fourth in size? YHZ handles more pax than AZA and what other PHX-area airports are you referring to? Believe me I’m envious of YHZ’s transatlantic offering too. I’m at YOW (a city 3 times the size of YHZ) where we only have LHR year-round and FRA summer-seasonally...although I’m hopeful for more within the next 5 years as MAXes and 321LRs enter airline fleets.

c933103

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 am

I saw a stat that say there are ~3000 Chinese in Nova Scotia back in 2007. What are they mostly doing?

777PHX

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:23 am

Dominion301 wrote:
777PHX wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Pretty cool eh!...but I’m not sure what you mean by fourth in size? YHZ handles more pax than AZA and what other PHX-area airports are you referring to? Believe me I’m envious of YHZ’s transatlantic offering too. I’m at YOW (a city 3 times the size of YHZ) where we only have LHR year-round and FRA summer-seasonally...although I’m hopeful for more within the next 5 years as MAXes and 321LRs enter airline fleets.

PHX, AZA, and Luke all have bigger runways/more of them. Pretty much every airport besides Luke and Chandler have more movements.

FA9295

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:48 am

Yeah, right... Good luck with that one Nova Scotia...

Dominion301

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm

777PHX wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
777PHX wrote:

PHX, AZA, and Luke all have bigger runways/more of them. Pretty much every airport besides Luke and Chandler have more movements.

Being not much above sea level with a 10,000 foot runway is more than adequate for YHZ to handle just about anything up to a 747...I don't think they're A380 capable.

As for movements, that's kinda irrelevant comparing general aviation airports to airports whose focus lies strongly within commercial aviation. Metropolitan population of a city is far more relevant.

ghYHZ

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:42 pm

[quote="Dominion301]Being not much above sea level with a 10,000 foot runway is more than adequate for YHZ to handle just about anything up to a 747...I don't think they're A380 capable[/quote].

Been there....done that a couple of times:......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.2778086

And '747s ?...... Both KLM and CP Air has scheduled flight on '747s between Halifax and Amsterdam in the '80s and '747 cargo aircraft are here often. And with the ramp-up to the holiday season there will be more in to load up on lobster. Big market in Asia and Europe .

777PHX

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
As for movements, that's kinda irrelevant comparing general aviation airports to airports whose focus lies strongly within commercial aviation.

That's rather uninteresting when Phoenix so far outclasses anything Halifax can offer.

But ok, let's use Gateway, which is a commercial airport to Westjet and Allegiant. It still has almost three times as many movements as Halifax does.

Metropolitan population of a city is far more relevant.

The disparity between the two is so large it's not even worth discussing. Needless to say, the city I live in which is a suburb of Phoenix that you're probably not familiar with, has 70,000 more residents than the entire Halifax metro area.

Halifax has the transatlantic service it does because of its geography, not because it's some center of the geopolitical universe or because it has millions of people.

iseeyyc

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:08 am

The quaint people of Nova Scotia are starting to get a bit antsy at seeing large numbers of 'people from away'. No doubt they view a potential flight as a 'tentacle into the orient' and the 'silk road' of lobsters and maple syrup in exchange for precious yen!

Airontario

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 am

777PHX wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
As for movements, that's kinda irrelevant comparing general aviation airports to airports whose focus lies strongly within commercial aviation.

That's rather uninteresting when Phoenix so far outclasses anything Halifax can offer.

But ok, let's use Gateway, which is a commercial airport to Westjet and Allegiant. It still has almost three times as many movements as Halifax does.

The disparity between the two is so large it's not even worth discussing. Needless to say, the city I live in which is a suburb of Phoenix that you're probably not familiar with, has 70,000 more residents than the entire Halifax metro area.

Halifax has the transatlantic service it does because of its geography, not because it's some center of the geopolitical universe or because it has millions of people.

I really don't get what you seem to arguing here. Nobody is stating that Halifax is some massive market. Everyone here says it's not feasible to have any flights to Asia (except very sporadic cargo service). What does Phoenix have to do with anything?

Dominion301

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:54 am

Airontario wrote:
777PHX wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I really don't get what you seem to arguing here. Nobody is stating that Halifax is some massive market. Everyone here says it's not feasible to have any flights to Asia (except very sporadic cargo service). What does Phoenix have to do with anything?

The Phoenix tie in, is the person from the PHX-area further up the chain was originally wondering whether YHZ had any transatlantic service, yet alone transpacific. Noticing the poster's username is 777PHX, I responded that not only does YHZ have transatlantic service, but that it has a lot more service (i.e. routes and flight frequencies) and somewhat more seat capacity to Europe than PHX has, despite Halifax being 1/10 the population of Phoenix.

777PHX, I do fully agree with you on the point that YHZ's geography plays a big part as to why it has so much Europe service. As far as the Phoenix "outclasses" Halifax part, I'm not sure what you're talking about. It's like comparing Maritime lobster to desert cactus.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos