LAXintl
Topic Author

Re: World Airways - proposed longhaul ULCC start up

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Bit more news.

Miami based investment firm says it now formally acquired the intellectual property of World Airways, and say they indeed seek to launch a low cost, long haul airline flying Boeing 787 and are in talks with Boeing for 10-frames.

Press release:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 51714.html

They also have a website now
https://worldairways.com/

=

Good luck :sarcastic:
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

dabpit

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:57 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Good luck

They will need it. The fact that Ed Wegel is in charge makes me think it will fail like his last projects...
Carpe Diem

TerminalD

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:00 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Bit more news.

Miami based investment firm says it now formally acquired the intellectual property of World Airways, and say they indeed seek to launch a low cost, long haul airline flying Boeing 787 and are in talks with Boeing for 10-frames.

Press release:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 51714.html

They also have a website now
https://worldairways.com/

=

Good luck :sarcastic:

So they previously were just using the trademarks without permission? LOL. I hope it succeeds, but who knows.

jnev3289

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm

I mean I think a US based LHLC carrier could work... I don't think it's crazy at all. It's basically what the 787 was made for. The whole re birthing an old airline is stupid and tired, but the concept on its own has merit imo

SQ22

News about new World Airways (ULCC start up)

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 pm

I have created a new thread on this topic, please do not kick old threads.

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1359797

VirginFlyer

Re: News about new World Airways (ULCC start up)

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 am

Interesting name in the press release:

"Today, we are proud to begin preparations to launch scheduled operations from the US to Asia and Latin America. We will be partnering with low cost, short haul carriers in the US and in the regions we serve to provide connecting traffic to and from our initial planned gateways. We plan to announce our new brand look and feel within the next few weeks, under the direction of our Founding CMO, Freddie Laker."

I presume that is the son of the late great Sir Freddie?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

jnev3289

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:01 am

Also interesting they're choosing Asia and LATAM instead of ME or Europe

jimbo737

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:08 am

I'm sure all the LCC's and ULCC's are already begging to feed the latest paper airline.

Who dreams this nonsense up?

jimbo737

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:08 am

I'm sure all the LCC's and ULCC's are already begging to feed the latest paper airline.

SkyVoice

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 am

jimbo737 wrote:

Jimbo, I think that it is time to remind readers what the late Coach Bill Walsh once said: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results." OTOH, there are no USA-flagged LHLC carriers right now, so I do wish them well. It is not the new carrier's business model that I object to, but its name. If people don't stop resurrecting defunct airlines' names as if they were Lazarus, sooner or later someone is bound to found ". . . the next ValuJet."
"Son, don't ever try to make sense out of nonsense." - my grandmother

flyingphil

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 am

“..under the direction of our Founding CMO, Freddie Laker..”

Err what? Trying to use Freddie Laker legacy as well? I doubt if that many people now remember the original Freddie Laker, Laker Airlines and Skytrain. What is a CMO anyway?

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 am

As much as I dislike re-births, I wish them well. There's a lot of potential in the niche they are aiming to fill. I also loved the WORLD logo.... wish we could see an beautiful tri-jet reborn in those colours...

Polot

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 am

flyingphil wrote:
“..under the direction of our Founding CMO, Freddie Laker..”

Err what? Trying to use Freddie Laker legacy as well? I doubt if that many people now remember the original Freddie Laker, Laker Airlines and Skytrain. What is a CMO anyway?

CMO= Chief Marketing Officer

xdlx

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 am

When you live long enough to see the same thing tried over and over again......... the only constant here is the # of FAILED attempts at making the Dream become a reality. Ed will probably be joined soon with names like Selvaggio, and McCarthy et al...... with a SOLID record to drive airlines to the ground! Good Riddance!

Keith2004

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:16 pm

jnev3289 wrote:

US to Europe LCC market is kinda crowded at the moment (WOW, Norwegian, Level among others) LATAM does not have much LCC competition to US
ME they would have to compete with ME3, and ME is not really a big US destination as it is more of a Transit region for ME3
As for Asia, flights are consistently found between $400-$500 to Asia from US, not sure how they go lower than that

IndianicWorld

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Really hard to see this working.

It will need feed to fill the seats, whilst competing against established players.

At the end of the day, we have many people that think they have found a unique market position and have failed dismally. This is a very hard industry after all.

OA940

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Way overdue. LCLH in the US will definitely work well. Just like DY, it'll open up a new market segment that couldn't be opened up before. Looking forward to seeing what they do in terms of cabins.
A350/CSeries = bae

Nicoeddf

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:15 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
It's basically what the 787 was made for.

What does the 787, or any other modern widebody for that matter, offer that corrects the fundamental problem of achieving sustainable yields with non-feeded P2P flights?
No, the 787 is not made for LHLC, neither is any other modern widebody.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

jnev3289

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

What does the 787, or any other modern widebody for that matter, offer that corrects the fundamental problem of achieving sustainable yields with non-feeded P2P flights?

Really?
https://www.oilandgas360.com/boeings-78 ... non-stops/
https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals ... 87-is.html
http://unroadwarrior.boardingarea.com/2 ... y-the-787/

Some quotes from other articles:
"When US manufacturer Boeing first introduced the Boeing 787 Dreamliner it was marketed as a hub-buster, an aircraft that would enable airlines to fly non-stop point-to-point services between non-hub airports"
“It will allow some more hub to smaller point flying than perhaps was possible before, or perhaps earlier than before because the market size required to make a route profitable has reduced."

mffoda

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm

I don't see any airline or aviation experience in the groups core businesses. :scratchchin:

That doesn't bode well for a start up...

From the article:

About 777 Partners

777 Partners is a Miami based investment firm focused on a broad spectrum of specialty finance businesses, asset originators and financial technology and services providers. Our overarching thesis is to incubate new ventures and to make control investments in businesses with scalable profiles and ambitious management teams operating in attractive markets. 777's senior management team is composed of industry veterans with backgrounds in private equity, venture capital, investment banking, financial technology, insurance, actuarial science, asset management, structured-credit, ABS, risk, analytics, complex commercial litigation and computer science. For more info, please see http://www.777part.com.
harder than woodpecker lips...

Nicoeddf

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:09 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

Really?

"When US manufacturer Boeing first introduced the Boeing 787 Dreamliner it was marketed as a hub-buster, an aircraft that would enable airlines to fly non-stop point-to-point services between non-hub airports"
“It will allow some more hub to smaller point flying than perhaps was possible before, or perhaps earlier than before because the market size required to make a route profitable has reduced."

I am sorry, but your choice of quotes are not substantiating your claim. "It was marketed as" is not exactly what I would need to read. Also, "it will allow SOME more hub to smaller point" flying...sorry to say, by far not sufficient to either make the claim that the 787 was, marketing aside, made for P2P or made for any LHLC in particular. All but very few todays 787 are flying the exact same routes 767s were flying before.
No, the 787 wasn't made for LHLC and neither is it used for it, anywhere. As I said, the fundamental problem of filling widebody sized A/C without feeding LHLC style hasn't been solved.
from the altar of god

jnev3289

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Really?

I am sorry, but your choice of quotes are not substantiating your claim. "It was marketed as" is not exactly what I would need to read. Also, "it will allow SOME more hub to smaller point" flying...sorry to say, by far not sufficient to either make the claim that the 787 was, marketing aside, made for P2P or made for any LHLC in particular. All but very few todays 787 are flying the exact same routes 767s were flying before.
No, the 787 wasn't made for LHLC and neither is it used for it, anywhere. As I said, the fundamental problem of filling widebody sized A/C without feeding LHLC style hasn't been solved.

Yea those idiots at Boeing have no idea what they're talking about. Too bad you weren't on the job market when they hired the people who marketed the 787

aviationjunky

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a US LHLC airline yet. With bases in main hubs in JFK, MIA, and LAX, and focus cities in ATL, SEA, LAS, HOU, and ORD, I think they could do amazing things! Look at what DU is doing! With the right support and pricing, I think they could do great!
LAS is Life

TWFlyGuy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:00 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a US LHLC airline yet. With bases in main hubs in JFK, MIA, and LAX, and focus cities in ATL, SEA, LAS, HOU, and ORD, I think they could do amazing things! Look at what DU is doing! With the right support and pricing, I think they could do great!

There was one, it just went out of business a while back. Tower Air

allegiantflyer

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:06 pm

In many ways I think a U.S. based long haul ULCC is the best solution to the "Norwegian problem"

I want them to succeed for this sole purpose: I think the World livery/logo is so beautiful, it deserves to be viewed in better places than the graveyards of GYR
Last edited by allegiantflyer on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicoeddf

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:06 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
Yea those idiots at Boeing have no idea what they're talking about. Too bad you weren't on the job market when they hired the people who marketed the 787

Sensitive much about the Dreamliner? No worries, the plane is an excellent piece of carbon. Proudly all Boeing? No worries again, I have a soft spot for the products.
But Boeing knew the 787 is the perfect P2P plane just as much as Airbus knew 4engines4Longhaul is the way to into the future... ;)

Go World Airways though...not hoping for much, but wish them every success with whatever state-of-the-art plane they chose of which none gives them any better chance of overcoming missing feed and low yields for a large plane.
from the altar of god

toxtethogrady

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm

It's a Laker Airways retread. Off the website...

"...We plan to announce our new brand look and feel within the next few weeks, under the direction of our Founding CMO, Freddie Laker...”

tjh8402

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Really?

Um, Norwegian and Scoot have basically based their entire LHLC model on the 787 so it's absolutely used for that. other LHLC carriers have or are going to add it to their networks (the three TUI carriers, Westjet, Jetstar)

jnev3289

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

Sensitive much about the Dreamliner? No worries, the plane is an excellent piece of carbon. Proudly all Boeing? No worries again, I have a soft spot for the products.
But Boeing knew the 787 is the perfect P2P plane just as much as Airbus knew 4engines4Longhaul is the way to into the future... ;)

Go World Airways though...not hoping for much, but wish them every success with whatever state-of-the-art plane they chose of which none gives them any better chance of overcoming missing feed and low yields for a large plane.

I'm not some Boeing fanboy by any means. My favorite plane is the A340 actually (787 a close 2nd, i'll grant you that) I just don't agree that the 787 wasn't designed for long and thin routes. It just was

rotating14

New airline to buy 10 787s

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

The investment firm 777 partners is in the process of resurrecting the old World Airways name and mimic the DY operating model.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ng-revived

Slash787

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:27 pm

I just have a feeling that this whole thing won't be successful.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:11 pm

A story out of CAPA. A320 family may be in the cards initially.

World Airways director of business development Adam Weiss, speaking on CAPA TV, stated (Mar-2018) the Boeing 787 is the carrier's "target" aircraft, however its unit economic costs are too prohibitive for a startup. Mr Weiss pointed out it is "almost three times" more expensive to operate a 787 on London-Boston service compared to a A321LR, stressing "we're trying to be really thoughtful about our equipment selection".
World Airways ultimately plans to migrate its fleet to 787 aircraft and anticipates operating "20 or so" aircraft within five years, which will "probably" comprise mostly 787, Bombardier Dash 8 and Dash 9 equipment. He stressed "we're not set" on any specific aircraft yet, as it consider various options. World will "probably" start with two aircraft and increase to five "within a year". Mr Weiss noted it may start with A320 aircraft, explaining: "We haven't identified anything specifically yet. But, to us, that's the entry point into the market".

https://centreforaviation.com/news/worl ... ies-773912
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Bricktop

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Sounds like they really have their ducks all in a row. :shakehead:

RJNUT

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm

what's a Bombardier Dash -9?

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:32 pm

LAXintl wrote:

World Airways director of business development Adam Weiss, speaking on CAPA TV, stated (Mar-2018) the Boeing 787 is the carrier's "target" aircraft, however its unit economic costs are too prohibitive for a startup. Mr Weiss pointed out it is "almost three times" more expensive to operate a 787 on London-Boston service compared to a A321LR, stressing "we're trying to be really thoughtful about our equipment selection".
World Airways ultimately plans to migrate its fleet to 787 aircraft and anticipates operating "20 or so" aircraft within five years, which will "probably" comprise mostly 787, Bombardier Dash 8 and Dash 9 equipment. He stressed "we're not set" on any specific aircraft yet, as it consider various options. World will "probably" start with two aircraft and increase to five "within a year". Mr Weiss noted it may start with A320 aircraft, explaining: "We haven't identified anything specifically yet. But, to us, that's the entry point into the market".

The correct link:
https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... update-643

Umm...seems like they're all over the place to me. A321LR, then maybe some 330(neo?), then 787. It's really hard to be "low cost" and have a fleet that's all over the place. :white:

I do wish them the best, but I just don't see them being in the business for too long.

travaz

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:39 pm

I thought it was all about Asia and South America?
I really don't see the fascination with trying to revive old Airline names. What does recycling an old name buy you? I don't think anyone is going to buy a ticket because you have an old historic Airline name. I think they would be better to create a name that appeals to their focus market. I bet if you asked 1000 people on the street who World Airways were you would get 1000 "No Idea" replies. How about Asia R Us ummm I mean London umm or is it LATAM?

admanager

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 pm

I thought this was an interesting statement. "777 Partners is humbled by the opportunity to participate in the relaunch of World," I'd say they might be humbled again in a few years based on the business plan outlined in post 32 by LAXintl. Bombardier Dash 9?

Varsity1

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:21 pm

DY is losing money faster than anyone on earth, and they want to replicate that?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Lose the 787. Go A330-300. Add the A321neo if you like. Skip new-build widebodies and lease gently used instead. Roll them over as more A330s come on the market. If you need longer legs, get a few -200s. If you can’t reach it with an A330, you’ve no business trying to serve it as an LHLC.
-Dave

spinkid

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:47 pm

World Airways is a great name for a carrier that intends to serve International destinations. Most of the flying public don't remember the original World Airways so I don't see it being a turn off for anyone.

The concern I have for them is where are they getting all this money to buy/lease new 787 aircraft? For a ULCC that is a lot of capital to raise, , and how long before they can take delivery?

I would think they could pick up used 777 or A330 much faster to get started until they can take delivery of 787's. To deep South America there is a market for a ULCC. NK and B6 offer lots of service to Northern South America, but only from Florida. Asia is untapped as well. Someone mentioned finding one way prices of $400 and $500, but those are few and far between, perhaps on China Eastern and making a connection. If they offer service to unserved or underserved markets like BKK or Cebu, or maybe even HKT (Phuket) that would be interesting. Offer some eye dropping $99 each way fares to stimulate interest. Anything is possible, but they are going to have to do a lot of interesting accounting even if they are able to fill them up to make them viable money makers.

I don't see any U.S. based ULCC carriers lining up to feed them until they are a little more established. Allegiant doesn't offer connections, maybe Frontier would have an interest? NK? possibly.

strfyr51

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Keith2004 wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

here

US to Europe LCC market is kinda crowded at the moment (WOW, Norwegian, Level among others) LATAM does not have much LCC competition to US
ME they would have to compete with ME3, and ME is not really a big US destination as it is more of a Transit region for ME3
As for Asia, flights are consistently found between $400-$500 to Asia from US, not sure how they go lower than that

Here is the diference between any new World Airways and Norwegian or any other NON- American carriers, Once Worlds has their FAA opperarting Certificate. They can get feed from any City in the USA and take passengers to any city IN the USA unlike Norwegian or the ME3 Carriers. This is an advantage NONE of the foreign LCC'S will EVER have or Acquire. The USA has few Holiday airlines in operation Unlike Europe. So this Idea No matter how Suspect Could actually become a winner if properly Funded Managed and operated. And? The CEO and the BOD will have to be primarily American.

wjcandee

Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:31 am

I had so much fun looking at the 777 Partners web site.

Wow.

Seriously, these Masters of the Universe look like a bunch of bartenders at some Miami hotel. Except for the GC and Founder. They look like old-guy regulars at said bar/club who like to sit around and watch the waitresses.

Seriously, what's with all the facial hair? And the London School of Economics guy who doesn't realize that you can get custom shirts so you don't need to leave your collar unbuttoned around your fat neck?

Has anybody checked to see that this isn't just some parody site?

Prost

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:21 am

I can’t imagine MIA-NRT/HKG/ICN and DTW-anywhere aren’t the first routes that they start. Such low hanging fruit!

globetrotter94

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:18 am

Hmmm... I was originally going to say that I found them trying to be subtle and not just directly go for "PanAm" to be an encouraging sign, but now I see that "World Airways" refers to a different defunct carrier.
6E, 9W, AF, AI, BA, BI, CA, DN, IC, JL, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK*, UA, VS

asctty

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:16 am

Have they been folowing the Norwegian thread? Or are they waitng to buy the Norwegian aircraft when that model goes belly up?

OA940

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 am

OK, I really wish they succeed. I really do. It's about time the US gets a LHLC airline. But that? Nope.
A350/CSeries = bae

flymco753

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:13 pm

RJNUT wrote:
They probably have it confused with the Q400.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*

rbavfan

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:38 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Whats is a Dash 9?

rbavfan

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:44 pm

flymco753 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:
They probably have it confused with the Q400.

For a high end professional site they claim to be to get you to sign up. They should know the difference.

rbavfan

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:00 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
Keith2004 wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

here

Here is the diference between any new World Airways and Norwegian or any other NON- American carriers, Once Worlds has their FAA opperarting Certificate. They can get feed from any City in the USA and take passengers to any city IN the USA unlike Norwegian or the ME3 Carriers. This is an advantage NONE of the foreign LCC'S will EVER have or Acquire. The USA has few Holiday airlines in operation Unlike Europe. So this Idea No matter how Suspect Could actually become a winner if properly Funded Managed and operated. And? The CEO and the BOD will have to be primarily American.

So your saying Emirates does not get any of that feed from jetBlue because they are not a US airline so they can't get it.
What about all the feed BA, JAL & Qantas gets from AA.
Korean, China Airlines, China southern, China Eastern, AeroMexico, KLM, Air France get from Delta.
Air China, Air New Zealand, ANA, Lufthansa get from United.

I guess those don't count. Oh yeah and do you think AA, DL, UA are going to be happy to provide feed to someone undercutting their own routes?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos