User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 25526
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Here it is. Aircraft is 11 years old MSN 3008.

Image
https://twitter.com/FlightReportCHC/sta ... 0550890496
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
kabq737
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Wow the livery is almost as aimless as the airline name...

Does anybody else think that the logo just aft of the R1 door is very Iberia looking?
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM
 
tomkell92
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:58 pm

kabq737 wrote:
Wow the livery is almost as aimless as the airline name...

Does anybody else think that the logo just aft of the R1 door is very Iberia looking?


I was thinking more like ANA.
However, you can clearly tell it's just the thing from the Air France logo, which I assume is the whole point.
Tom
 
kabq737
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 pm

tomkell92 wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
Wow the livery is almost as aimless as the airline name...

Does anybody else think that the logo just aft of the R1 door is very Iberia looking?


I was thinking more like ANA.
However, you can clearly tell it's just the thing from the Air France logo, which I assume is the whole point.

Oh yeah I can see a little ANA in there as well. Seems like an uninspired livery but I guess that isn't really what matters.
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Looks awful
| A.J-B |

“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 14772
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:06 pm

It's difficult to tell exactly how it looks given that photo makes the tarmac look blue. But generally, my whelm has been undered!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8211
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Terrible terrible terrible. Not only is the name super shite, and the logo awful (one letter filled in looks like when a printer has too much ink), but the dumbest thing about this is that it’s supposed to appeal to “millennials”. Well like the rest of us, they only care about price. To think a “millennial” will spend an extra €0.01 on this compared to Ryanair Norwegian or for that matter British Airways because of the brand is delusional. In fact one of the signature characteristics of a “millennial” is that they are very brand savvy and do not appreciate being patronised or marketed to. Good luck Air France, you’re going to need it
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
deltadudejg
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Personally I feel like it's a knock off of the Airbus house colors. Not a fan, have to say.
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations
 
User avatar
747d10
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:09 pm

If I hadn't been following the Joon threads and was unaware of the new airline, I would have thought that it said either JODA/ or JOOP/ on the body of the place. The tail clears up any potential confusion, though. :roll:
flown: E145/190;F100;L10/15;DC8;D8S;D10;M11;D91/S/5;717;727;72S;732/3/4/5/G/8/9;
741/2/3/4;752;762/3/4;77E/L;A300;310;319;320;321;330;Concorde
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:39 pm

This is a bit off topic, but today in the morning when I was waiting to baord my flight in TXL I was watching the boarding of the AF A321 flight on the very next gate. There were more than a few German's boarding this flight. AF is quite stong in TXL. I can assure you Berlin is very attractive for millenials, but not all Berliners are millenials, so lets wait and see what is going to happen once Joon has operated that route for some month. Actually I expected a Joon bird instead an AF one today.
 
ba319-131
Posts: 8212
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 1:27 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Very underwhelming
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333
 
User avatar
GCT64
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:49 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Terrible terrible terrible. Not only is the name super shite, and the logo awful (one letter filled in looks like when a printer has too much ink), but the dumbest thing about this is that it’s supposed to appeal to “millennials”. Well like the rest of us, they only care about price. To think a “millennial” will spend an extra €0.01 on this compared to Ryanair Norwegian or for that matter British Airways because of the brand is delusional. In fact one of the signature characteristics of a “millennial” is that they are very brand savvy and do not appreciate being patronised or marketed to. Good luck Air France, you’re going to need it


My kids are millennials and they absolutely only care about price. My son went LON-Cyprus via a middle of the night connection in ARN on Norwegian, just because it was cheaper! :roll: :D
I don't think he has flown on the same airline twice, it's all about money :twocents:
Flown in: A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,B190,(..54 more types..),VC10,WESX
 
trent768
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 pm

It looks confusing! The writing on the tail looks like 'joori' but on the fuselage it looks like 'joop'.
I mean, if you wanna use a somewhat 'creative sounding' name at least try to write it clearly! If I was a non-enthusiast, I'm not sure that I can understand the writing.

I really doesn't understand the airline's weird obsession with the millennials. Most of them (or us? I don't really know what generation that I belongs to, not that I care anyway) doesn't really care about brand, it's all about the price. Unless you slap an Apple logo and write iPlane on it, then some of them will sell their kidney just to board the flight LOL!
 
2Holer4Longhaul
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:03 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm

It looks like a great way to lose money.
A junkie for A340s, A380s, and of course Her Majesty the Boeing 747. I wish they were financially viable, but it is not to be.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 9381
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 pm

When I hear the name "Joon"... I think Korean, as it's such a common name in this part of L.A.

I wonder if anyone else would make that initial mistake.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:34 am

Any truth in the rumour they want to start a pond hopping operation called VirJOON Atlantic ? (I'll get my coat) ;-)
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:40 am

I'd like to see a quality photo of this before rushing to judgement...but yeah...
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:45 am

kabq737 wrote:
tomkell92 wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
Wow the livery is almost as aimless as the airline name...

Does anybody else think that the logo just aft of the R1 door is very Iberia looking?


I was thinking more like ANA.
However, you can clearly tell it's just the thing from the Air France logo, which I assume is the whole point.

Oh yeah I can see a little ANA in there as well. Seems like an uninspired livery but I guess that isn't really what matters.


Meh...ANA livery is much nicer. Simple, but does its job.

For me, the livery would have work if not for the bad logo design. The fill-in 'O' in JOON just looks...well, weird.
 
User avatar
VCEflyboy
Posts: 1157
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:59 am

Why didn't they paint the forward slash logo red ? This way it would associate with af
 
NichCage
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:08 am

Pretty bland livery in my opinion.

JOON will take over CDG-BCN from Air France. In fact, CDG-BCN will have three low cost carriers on the route (JOON, EasyJet, and Vueling) while ORY-BCN will have Transavia serving the route. So all low cost airlines on the Paris-Barcelona sector, no mainline.
 
F27500
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 am

Oh, look ... another all white airbus with billboard lettering (and stupid name) ... yawwwwwn.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 7766
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:26 am

This isn’t low cost. Just low fare.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 3541
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:01 am

[twoid][/twoid]
NichCage wrote:
Pretty bland livery in my opinion.

JOON will take over CDG-BCN from Air France. In fact, CDG-BCN will have three low cost carriers on the route (JOON, EasyJet, and Vueling) while ORY-BCN will have Transavia serving the route. So all low cost airlines on the Paris-Barcelona sector, no mainline.


Barcelona is a low yield destination. Unsurprising move.
 
bluejuice
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:55 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:42 am

Now we know what went on when an ANA and JetBlue A320 were spotted behind a hangar at Toulouse. To quote a character on the show Seinfeld, "That plane is... breathtaking."
 
n7371f
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:55 am

Hi, Ted.
 
ALAfly
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 am

As long they keep the awful paint job in there own country nobody will mind. There is enough other crap (paint wise) flying around the globe.
 
andymartin
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:12 am

Who came up with this, a 5 year old child?
 
User avatar
SuperTwin
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:30 am

What a dud. Air France knows how to cook these things up on the regular.
SuperTwin
 
PanzerPowner
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:02 am

andymartin wrote:
Who came up with this, a 5 year old child?

Probably. Board partner comes home late at night to see child's drawing on coffee table, had too many drinks. Think's it's genius and somehow convinces the board to fund and create this monstrosity.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.
 
flyguy89
Posts: 2283
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:10 am

The livery isn't as terrible as that stupid name...Joooooooooon :roll:
 
AirInterCRV
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:28 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:20 am

cedarjet wrote:
Terrible terrible terrible. Not only is the name super shite, and the logo awful (one letter filled in looks like when a printer has too much ink), but the dumbest thing about this is that it’s supposed to appeal to “millennials”. Well like the rest of us, they only care about price. To think a “millennial” will spend an extra €0.01 on this compared to Ryanair Norwegian or for that matter British Airways because of the brand is delusional. In fact one of the signature characteristics of a “millennial” is that they are very brand savvy and do not appreciate being patronised or marketed to. Good luck Air France, you’re going to need it


wow
easy dude. It's just an airplane being painted, no need to go full emotional.
 
PayaLebar
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:28 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Barcelona is a low yield destination.


And a very expensive destination to visit!
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 am

Terrible livery.They could of made it a lot better.
 
User avatar
Lilienthal
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:56 am

Reading about their brand design is a major cringefest.
No Millennial is ever going to post a pic of that logo on instagram, that's for sure....
 
hz747300
Posts: 2072
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 pm

I don't want to be rude, but that is atrocious. I want to blame the photographer because I can't tell if it is blurry, or the logo near the front is really that bad. A younger brand that should appeal to millennials should have more pop. But if the fares are cheap enough, no one will care and fly it anyways.
Keep on truckin'...
 
AirInterCRV
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:28 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:39 pm

https://seekingalpha.com/article/412013 ... transcript

Quote from the AFKL CFO:
"Now what is Joon (redacted: the transcript says "June"). Joon is where we introduce growth in the medium haul by hiring new cabine people with new labor contracts. This is the main point behind Joon. On top of that (...) it can also be an opportunity to be a bit creative in terms of product".

...and yet, so many geniuses here on a.net are blurting out their view about how "terrible" this whole thing is, when in this case marketing is merely a management afterthought. But I guess AF-bashing is always the safe option.

As for the livery, like many things, it's in the eye of the beholder. I, for one, like it better than Level's.
 
User avatar
Lilienthal
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 pm

AirInterCRV wrote:
...and yet, so many geniuses here on a.net are blurting out their view about how "terrible" this whole thing is, when in this case marketing is merely a management afterthought. But I guess AF-bashing is always the safe option.



I don't think anyone is blind to the fact that this is about cost-cutting for Air France in the first place. Just like Lufthansa is doing it with Eurowings, IAG with Level, SQ with Scoot etc. etc. etc...

The thing is... that makes the branding even more ridiculous. Because for what it is trying to achieve (turning a low-standards, low-cost Ryanair competitor into a "lifestyle brand"), it just falls short. The name is weird, livery and logo just look bland, the promotional videos are ridiculous. So people are going to talk about it...

We'll see what the actual product is going to be, and, most importantly, how the fares compare to other low-cost carriers.
 
User avatar
MSPSXMFLIER
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:37 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Hmm, how do you say "song", in French?
 
devron
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:56 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Reading the level treads I can read the same comments as made in this tread but it seems to be doing okay. The picture is indeed not optimal still the livery is not good boring white color.
 
User avatar
ro1960
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:21 pm

The majority of travellers (millenials or not) use agregators to book their flights so they really don't give a crap on what airline they'll end up and even what the livery looks like. There are plenty of questionnable liveries around yet the airlines are succesful. The success of Joon or its failure will have little to do with the livery.
 
Antarius
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:08 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
When I hear the name "Joon"... I think Korean, as it's such a common name in this part of L.A.

I wonder if anyone else would make that initial mistake.


That's my friend's name as well. We have a running joke about it
2017 :SIN |HKG |LAX |DFW |HOU |IAH |MAF |LBB |DCA |IAD |ORD |BOS |DEN |LHR |MAD |HNL |ITO |OGG |PHX |DOH |JHB |KUL |DEL |BLR |CDG |ORY |NRT |CGK |BTH |ICN |INV |ABZ |LCY |LTN |SFO |PHL |SJC |SLC |MIA |TPA |PBI |CLT |FLL |CUN
 
Drucocu
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Ugh this is hideous.
 
anstar
Posts: 3008
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:08 pm

The AFKL has too many brands as it is. Air France, KLM, Cityhopper, Hop!, Transavia, Martinair (cargo) and now Joon. Joon replaces AF on certain routes - it doenst have cheaper flight crew only cheaper cabin crew- is it really wise to replace AF on routes like TXL with an offering specifically targeting millennial's? Surely that is going to alienate another segment of your customer base? Why not just do what IB did with IB express... same brand but cheaper contracts reflecting the industry realities of today.
 
kjeld0d
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Its a bit of a twist on the usual theme..this time its the employees who hold the airline hostage, such that the airline has to do stupid things like this to survive. Reminds me of charity stores where the sales of donated materials are used to employ traditionally "unemployable" people.
 
User avatar
Vasu
Posts: 2996
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:34 am

Re: First Joon A320 emerged from paint

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:05 am

I don't know why, but I think of UTA (the old French airline).

Yeah, I guess I class as a millennial so I might be relevant here. As much as I love to fly unusual airlines and aircraft types, I would rather fly cheaply to lots of different destinations. Which means I tend to do a lot of my flying on the same few airlines (FR, U2, W6 etc.)

Would Joon specifically appeal to me? No. But then again, if I am looking to go somewhere in Europe I will normally do a search of London to 'everywhere' for the dates I'm available and see what comes up. (If I am flying with my wife then there is usually a 'target' country... if it's friends or my brother then nobody really cares as long as it's cheap). The airline is almost always irrelevant. Price and times are the important factors in decision-making.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos