pitbosflyer
Topic Author

DL JFK-SEA makes unplanned stop due to bathrooms

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Its kind of crazy we don't see more bathroom problems than we do. Especially on such long flights. Its alot of people all using a few bathrooms haha.

Delta flight takes unplanned potty break in Billings, Montana
http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/d ... ca991.html

Reminds me of a time 5 or so years ago I was flying in an AA 757 from LHR to BOS (yes what a miserable way to cross the atlantic). And all the toilets except the one by the 1st class cabin were not functioning. Captain was continuously coming on the loud speaker and basically threatening that he would land the plane in Iceland or Canada if that last toilet stopped working. We understood he was trying to say hold it or face the anger of all your fellow passengers haha. The few brave people that did go the the bathroom after that got glares from all of us. Luckily we made it to BOS....but it was not fun. They even stopped serving beverages when we only had a few hours left. The strangest part was AA never reached out and apologized to any of us. Thank goodness that flight no longer exists with AA.

RDUDDJI

Re: DL JFK-SEA makes unplanned stop due to bathrooms

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:25 pm

That sounds like a crappy flight... ;)
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

admanager

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:

I'm glad they 'canned' it

GolfBravoRomeo

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:02 pm

Wait, I thought only JetBlue had lav issues, and not Delta.

BoeingGuy

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:36 pm

admanager wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:

I'm glad they 'canned' it

I'm glad you were able to "head" to BOS. Sounds like the Captain was getting kind of pissy.

readytotaxi

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm

All sounds a bit Potty to me. :rotfl:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

AndyW35

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Puns, sigh. Lets summarise sensibly, the flight took off and then rapidly went down the pan.

catiii

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Oh man, I can't wait until a certain poster on here tries to spin this...

richierich

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm

catiii wrote:

Gee, who could you possibly mean?

Well, without waiting for a response and subsequent pro-DL angle/JetBlue dig, I will say that I am really not sure how this one flight became news or worthy of a thread with 20 or so replies (of which I have now added one.) Diversions due to lack of functional lavs are rare, but they do happen and are almost never covered by the media. What made this different?
None shall pass!!!!

catiii

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm

richierich wrote:
catiii wrote:

Gee, who could you possibly mean?

Well, without waiting for a response and subsequent pro-DL angle/JetBlue dig, I will say that I am really not sure how this one flight became news or worthy of a thread with 20 or so replies (of which I have now added one.) Diversions due to lack of functional lavs are rare, but they do happen and are almost never covered by the media. What made this different?

I think someone leaked the internal divert report.

flyingcat

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Let's act like adults, now my question is what kind of food were they serving on this flight.

Did they hand out free Metamucil samples in the boarding area? Is Gate Gourmet having a special on chili con carne?

Did they run out of blue juice? How much "displacement" (weight and volume) can the system take before it screams too much?

Perhaps we should move to Tech Ops, I have so many questions.

AAlaxfan

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 pm

catiii wrote:

He's probably pissed off because he can't complain about the crappy B6 toilets anymore!! :lol:
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

Revelation

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Might be the first time someone wanted desperately to get to Billings! :biggrin:
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

Antarius

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm

A whole new meaning to a Reliever airport term
2017 :SIN |HKG |LAX |DFW |HOU |IAH |MAF |LBB |DCA |IAD |ORD |BOS |DEN |LHR |MAD |HNL |ITO |OGG |PHX |DOH |JHB |KUL |DEL |BLR |CDG |ORY |NRT |CGK |BTH |ICN |INV |ABZ |LCY |LTN |SFO |PHL |SJC |SLC |MIA |TPA |PBI |CLT |FLL |CUN

Yflyer

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:39 pm

richierich wrote:
Diversions due to lack of functional lavs are rare, but they do happen and are almost never covered by the media. What made this different?

You'll notice that the story in the OP comes from a local Billings newspaper, not the national media. Diversions for all sorts of reasons make the local news all the time, particularly if there's not much else going on locally that day. If nothing else a flight stopping for a bathroom break makes for a somewhat amusing story for Billings residents to chuckle at. I would guess the humor factor is what makes it worthy of a thread here as well; note that many of the responses are people making jokes about the situation.

F27500

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
Its kind of crazy we don't see more bathroom problems than we do. Especially on such long flights. Its alot of people all using a few bathrooms haha.

Delta flight takes unplanned potty break in Billings, Montana
http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/d ... ca991.html

Reminds me of a time 5 or so years ago I was flying in an AA 757 from LHR to BOS (yes what a miserable way to cross the atlantic). And all the toilets except the one by the 1st class cabin were not functioning. Captain was continuously coming on the loud speaker and basically threatening that he would land the plane in Iceland or Canada if that last toilet stopped working. We understood he was trying to say hold it or face the anger of all your fellow passengers haha. The few brave people that did go the the bathroom after that got glares from all of us. Luckily we made it to BOS....but it was not fun. They even stopped serving beverages when we only had a few hours left. The strangest part was AA never reached out and apologized to any of us. Thank goodness that flight no longer exists with AA.

And what kind of a moron was that pilot? Here is a whole plane load of his company's passengers not having functioning toilet facilities to use on his aircraft .. and he's bullying people about using the lav?

Here is where he should have been apologizing profusely for the bad situation and not addiing more stress to an already uncomfortable situation. D*mn fool.

bgm

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, are the 757 toilets more prone to blockage because of the old swirling blue water they use vs vacuum? Never understood why the 757s has this old system but the 767s don’t.
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin

tlecam

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:02 pm

The article said they were full? Seems weird to me that 4 hours into a flight, the 757’s toilets were full?

I did BOS-SFO for years, mostly on the 757 and never heard of an issue like this. Is this a thing?
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

wjcandee

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm

There are a variety of reasons why stuff like this happens. Tank doesn't get serviced for whatever reason; mechanical malfunction; etc. Rare but happens. Just like at your home.

admanager

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 pm

At least Billings didn't get a Space Peanut" like Joe Dirt did

Meteor Bert: Well, it ain't a meteor.
Joe Dirt: Yeah, it is. It came out of the sky.
Meteor Bert: Well I'm sure it did but it ain't no meteor. It's a big ol' frozen chunk o' shit.
Joe Dirt: What?
Meteor Bert: Oh yeah, see them airplanes they dump their toilets 36,000 feet. The stuff freezes and falls to earth. We call 'em Boeing bombs.
[chomps teeth]
Joe Dirt: No, that can't be. That's not what it is.
Meteor Bert: Oh, afraid so. See that peanut? Dead giveaway.
Joe Dirt: Uhhh, no, that's a space peanut.
Meteor Bert: No, afraid not. That just a big ol' frozen chunk of poopy.

jetmatt777
Support

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Really they should have stopped in DTW. How could DL ignore their best station, DTW would have been the wiser diversion choice.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

SteveXC500

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 pm

I recall a time where a family member was flying MSP-AMS on a NW A333. Toilet issue over Hudson Bay; divert to DTW.

jubguy3

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Really they should have stopped in DTW. How could DL ignore their best station, DTW would have been the wiser diversion choice.

We all know they would divert to ATL to screw over their DTW customers and further dehub the decrepit DTW hub.

SeaDoo

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 am

We all know they would divert to ATL to screw over their DTW customers and further dehub the decrepit DTW hub.[/quote]

Funny :)

IPFreely

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 am

jubguy3 wrote:
We all know they would divert to ATL to screw over their DTW customers and further dehub the decrepit DTW hub.

In this case the managers in ATL might decide that DTW is exactly where they want these passengers to leave their, ummm, deposits.

QueenoftheSkies

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 am

Reminds me of a PS transcon when I worked for UA. Ground forgot to service the potable water and the purser neglected to check the gauge prior to departure. About 2-3hrs out from JFK, water was gone so put comes the hand sanitizer for the labs. Not as “critical” but point being, someone didn’t do their job on the ground and inflight didn’t catch it either.

NWDALMSPDTW

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 am

A passenger put 2 diapers down the toilet, and they ended up becoming frozen in the lav system. Contracted maintenance was able to get one of them out. The 757's have more bathroom issues than other aircraft with vacuum lavs.

Newbiepilot

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:55 am

tlecam wrote:
The article said they were full? Seems weird to me that 4 hours into a flight, the 757’s toilets were full?

I did BOS-SFO for years, mostly on the 757 and never heard of an issue like this. Is this a thing?

The plane had come in from EDI to JFK, which is a rather long flight. If they forgot to service the lavs in JFK, 4 hours into the next flight sounds about right for the tanks reaching capacity. My guess is they forgot to service the lavs. 757s don’t have nice touchscreen displays where any FA can check to see if the tanks are empty and my guess is that someone forgot to check.

The news article says that they were fixed in Billings. My guess is that there aren’t many spare parts in Billings for a 757 lav system but it is possible something clogged and failed. Not servicing is a more likely cause

litz

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
The news article says that they were fixed in Billings. My guess is that there aren’t many spare parts in Billings for a 757 lav system but it is possible something clogged and failed. Not servicing is a more likely cause

I would guess the "fixed in Billings" involved emptying the tanks ...

180 people with crossed legs can be quite a problem.

ooslc

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 pm

NWDALMSPDTW wrote:
A passenger put 2 diapers down the toilet, and they ended up becoming frozen in the lav system. Contracted maintenance was able to get one of them out. The 757's have more bathroom issues than other aircraft with vacuum lavs.

Really? If this what happened it should be pretty common sense NOT to flush diapers down the toilet. Come on! There's a garbage right in there with you.
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

Revelation

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

Guess the bladders/bowels were too full to allow for any backtracking...

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

ssteve

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 pm

NWDALMSPDTW wrote:

They are investigating which passenger... but they have nothing to go on. :duck:

readytotaxi

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 pm

what a load of crap !
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

reltney

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:45 am

X/$& happens.....

Ok, someone had to say it.
I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos