TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Does GRR need a flight to Mexico or Canada again?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm

With GRR being a great city and all (I've been there), I was just wondering if GRR will need a flight to Mexico or Canada again? I think at one point GRR had a flight to YYZ from AC, but it was cut due to being unprofitable.

Midwestindy

Re: Does GRR need a flight to Mexico or Canada again?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
With GRR being a great city and all (I've been there), I was just wondering if GRR will need a flight to Mexico or Canada again? I think at one point GRR had a flight to YYZ from AC, but it was cut due to being unprofitable.

I think "need" is the wrong choice of words in this situation, I think a better question would be, can GRR support a flight to Canada or Mexico?
'17:ADD ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CMN CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DKR DTW DXB ENU FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH

BoeingGuy

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:

Didn't you kind of just answer your own question? Apparently, GRR doesn't have flights to Canada or Mexico because the airlines don't yet feel it's profitable to do so.

Unfortunately, being a great city or area doesn't mean there should be more flights. Otherwise, places like YLW, FLG, MMH, MRY, RDD and others would have more service than they do.

flymco753

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
I'd say, give it a few more years, don't forget GRR is developing into a pretty well off city and air service will come. TVC is only going to be getting started with air service with their target goals being increased service to ORD and DTW, while getting Allegiant on board to serve Florida, which is doable from TVC.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

loisencroach

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:26 am

Is there an FIS at GRR designed for passengers?

glbltrvlr

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:19 am

loisencroach wrote:

Not today. And they just completed a major refurb of the central terminal. Strangely enough, despite extending the terminal out to support central screening upstairs, they kept the checked bag scanning machines in the lobby. Can you say face plant?

tjwgrr

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 am

glbltrvlr wrote:
loisencroach wrote:

Not today. And they just completed a major refurb of the central terminal. Strangely enough, despite extending the terminal out to support central screening upstairs, they kept the checked bag scanning machines in the lobby. Can you say face plant?

Phase two of the refurb (starting in 2018) includes relocating the bag scanning devices to a location away from the public “land side” area of the terminal. As far as FIS, don’t sell GRR short- the airport board is quite aggressive and forward thinking.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

mke717spotter

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 am

LAN has charter flights to CUN, MBJ, and PUJ.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

BigTexFlyer

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:54 am

Does GRR have Burger King and McDonalds?

Seems to be an important topic in this forum.

rufusmi

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:15 am

Living in the area, I think GRR would much more easily support several more Florida flights and other domestic destinations long before any international service. Most traffic around here seems to be domestic.

redwingspilot

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:47 am

GRR used to have flights to YYZ on Air Canada operated by Air Georgian on a Beech 1900. It was cut a few years back, American Eagle employees ground handled the flights.

redwingspilot

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:48 am

loisencroach wrote:

No need because YYZ has pre-clearance but custom services are available

YYZLGA

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:47 am

Given AC's expansion to the likes of OMA, I think a restoration of the flight to YYZ is certainly conceivable. There are a lot more Europe flights to feed now than there were when they last served GRR. The currency exchange is also more favourable.

klm617

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Commuter Express was the first airline to operated GRR-YYZ wit a stop at MBS. Yes I think that GRR-YYZ is inevitable in the very near future.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

knope2001

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:00 pm

klm617 wrote:
Commuter Express was the first airline to operated GRR-YYZ wit a stop at MBS. Yes I think that GRR-YYZ is inevitable in the very near future.

Skyway also served it for several years 2x/day -- I believe the arrival of AC* kicked them out. At the time YYZ-GRR was characterized to me as one of Skyway's highest-yielding routes. Operating into Toronto was a definite pain for them if anything went wrong (a simple tire change could be a big issue) but the revenue made it worthwhile.

freakyrat

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm

redwingspilot wrote:
loisencroach wrote:

FIS is still required to be available even with pre-clearance.

Bobloblaw

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:58 pm

freakyrat wrote:
redwingspilot wrote:
loisencroach wrote:

FIS is still required to be available even with pre-clearance.

then how did Air Canada fly GRR-YYZ for years? They dont have an FIS

OzarkD9S

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:32 pm

BigTexFlyer wrote:

Does GRR have Burger King and McDonalds?

Seems to be an important topic in this forum.

Alas, they have neither. But you can get a burger at the MI Tap Room. :bigthumbsup:
Next Up: STL-MIA-GCM-MIA-STL. Fun in the December sun! :santahat:

LOT767301ER

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:51 pm

then how did Air Canada fly GRR-YYZ for years? They dont have an FIS

There is a CBP Office at GRR (Probably staffed to 1-2 people) and it can be used in the extraordinary event that the flight could not be pre-cleared.

superjeff

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Grand Rapids' issue has nothing to do with its size or ability to support service. It has to do with the misfortune of being approximately halfway between Chicago and Detroit, which means a major hub (and the significant number of flights those two cities can offer), so GRR is not able to compete for a lot of service, other than to/from the majors' hubs. Grand Rapids is a stronger market than many of the other secondary (to Detroit) Michigan cities, with an affluent population and significant business travel providing decent O&D as well. I can definitely see AC or WS flying YYZ-GRR-YYZ in the future, using Dash 8 (Q400) equipment.

BC77008

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:58 pm

GRR already has plenty of service to Canada and Mexico, via ORD, EWR, DFW, IAH, CLT, ATL, etc.
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

dmstorm22

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 pm

superjeff wrote:
Grand Rapids' issue has nothing to do with its size or ability to support service. It has to do with the misfortune of being approximately halfway between Chicago and Detroit, which means a major hub (and the significant number of flights those two cities can offer), so GRR is not able to compete for a lot of service, other than to/from the majors' hubs. Grand Rapids is a stronger market than many of the other secondary (to Detroit) Michigan cities, with an affluent population and significant business travel providing decent O&D as well. I can definitely see AC or WS flying YYZ-GRR-YYZ in the future, using Dash 8 (Q400) equipment.

It does have significant business travel, but how much of that business travel is to Canada?

GRR has grown quite a bit and has good connectivity with a number of US hubs/major markets. I can't see a YYZ-GRR flight unless there is some business connection I am overlooking or there are a lot of O&D demand.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 pm

Okay makes sense. Thanks for the replies...so those in GRR usually connect in ORD or DTW? Okay, that makes sense.

9w748capt

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
Okay makes sense. Thanks for the replies...so those in GRR usually connect in ORD or DTW? Okay, that makes sense.

??? I'm not sure how this wasn't obvious before but ok...

drdisque

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:03 am

GRR could definitely support seasonal public charter service to CUN if it had a FIS. However, it's not worth it to build a FIS just for that (although RFD and LAN basically did).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos