planelover

Best Spots For Spotters To Spot At Bwi?

Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:20 am

Hey all,
I'm going to be traveling to DC and was planning on stoping by BWI. Where is the best spot to spot? Are non-passengers allowed at the international gates? That's probably a dumb question, but it has been about 7 years since I've been in a large international airport. Doesn't the Concord fly there? Thanks you all.
Have fun.

HlywdCatft

RE: Best Spots For Spotters To Spot At Bwi?

Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:31 am

The concorde I think years back flew into Dulles.

In an Airliners or Airways magazine they did a feature of BWI. There is some kind of actual designated place for Spotters, but I couldnt tell you exactly where it is. It actually is in a building with a restaurant somewhere near a runway.

But if you are looking for International while you are in Washington, BWI is probably the wrong place, you probably would want to go to Dulles.

BWI is good if you want to see a lot of Southwest and Air Tran

OzarkD9S

Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:32 am

No Concorde, unless it's a charter. Try the observation deck between the B and C concourses. Not allowed in the International Gates (or any gates) without a ticket. There is a perimeter spotting area if you're driving.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

BWIrwy4

Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:17 am

The spotters lounge is between B and C concourses. It is directly beneath the control tower, so it gives a good view. I haven't been there since Sept. 11, but I don't think it is behind security. There is an designated outdoor viewing area off of route 176, which I believe is still open. Non-passengers won't be allowed at the international gates, which is a shame. It's a nice new facility. Enjoy the trip!