HlywdCatft
Topic Author

Air China At Dtw?

Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:17 pm

I know Air China code shares with Northwest on the DTW and Shanghai and DTW Beijing flights for Northwest. But all of the new signs for the Midfield Terminal for the airlines have Northwest, Continental, KLM and Air China on them.

Does that mean that Air China will be serving DTW soon? I have heard that KLM will be making its return to DTW this spring.

aking8488

RE: Air China At Dtw?

Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:21 pm

Interesting...that would be great! The only comment I would make regarding this is that KLM's logo is omnipresent--even in smalltown NW destinations such as Paduach, KY, Rochester, MN, and Mason City, IA...certainly nowhere near candidate cities for new KLM routes.

Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:24 pm

May 5th KLM will be returning to Detroit with MD11 service from AMS.

Also, i doubt Air China will be serving DTW. The signs just mean they are code sharing.

HlywdCatft
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:25 pm

yeah but elsewhere like the towns you mention it says Northwest/KLM together. All of these are seperate on the signs at DTW. The signs leave plenty of room for more airlines to be added too.

Brittish Airways and Lufthansa are supposed to fly out of Midfield, but their names arent on the signs yet.

HlywdCatft
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:37 pm

There's been a lot of talk about a lot of International flights being added to DTW with the new terminal and the much quicker processing. I don't know if that is just more Northwest internationals or foreign carriers too.

I have heard people saying in the forums in the past that Air France was interested in flying here.

Airlines that I am shocked that aren't at DTW yet.

LOT- Detroit has a huge Polish community after New York and Chicago.

Alitalia- Also a huge Italian community

Japan Air/ANA - Many Japanese businesses located in Detroit, Northwest 744s go out fully loaded to NRT and Osaka every day even post 9/11. Northwest needs some competition on those routes

Korean Air - a lot of Korean businesses.

Basically any type of Mid Eastern airline. Royal Jordanian Airlines has a weekly A310 flight to DTW. Detroit has the largest Middle Eastern population outside the Mid East.

Do you think some of these are possible now that the midfield is open?

azjubilee

Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:22 pm

It's called an alliance. Remember those? Northwest and KLM are the pioneers of them. Look closer at the signs and you'll see Malaysia there too. Look later this year for the brand name to finally be announced of the NW/KLM/CO etc... alliance.

AZJ

HlywdCatft
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:42 pm

Yeah I am aware that they code share on flights and are part of the Wings Alliance. Like I mentioned earlier at other airports it would have Northwest/KLM together on the sign instead of seperate. These signs say "Airlines serving Midfield" and has Air China totally seperate from Northwest on the sign. This is what begs the question as to if Air China will actually fly here itself. There has been an Air China ticketing office on Ford Road in Westland for a couple of years now.

I was wondering now if the Wings Alliance members would start serving DTW. KLM is coming back in May as mentioned, but would Malaysia and Air China?

As far as I know all of the major players in Star Alliance serve Chicago's United hub and not just United itself using a Lufthansa or ANA codeshare on a United aircraft bound for Germany or Japan.

Same as with Dallas at least pre 9-11, several of AA's alliance members were serving DFW and not just AA flying with their code shares only.

I think now with the new international terminal at Midfield it is very possible to start seeing more carriers serving DTW. I think DTW is very underserved by international carriers other than Northwest, British and Lufthansa and KLM, oh plus those Dash 8 flights from Air Canada.

I remember before the Republic and Northwest merger seeing Icelandair fly DC-8s, LOT with their Il-62, Alitalia with 747s, Sabena with DC-10s and 747s, JAT with a DC-10 quite often. It would be nice to see that international variety back again.

azjubilee

Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:02 pm

I see what you're saying. I thought you were talking about the signs inside the terminal.

By the way, there is no such thing as the Wings alliance. That was totally media speculation. There is no brand name just yet for the alliance. According to passages, that will be announced this year.

The reason you probably see Air China on those signs is that Air China sells tickets from DTW to PEK and SHA. Therefore, if you've purchased a ticket from Air China to these destinations you think you're traveling on an Air China airplane, when in fact you're on a NW plane. This eliminates confusion I suppose.

Air China could very well start service to DTW, but I think NW will just take care of that for them.

AZJ

Mitchell Gant

Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:12 pm

Air China will not be flying to DTW anytime soon, despite the signage. Just like Iberia and South African won't be flying out of IAH even though the outdoor signage indicates they operate in Terminal A. It's called a codeshare, and as far as the passenger knows the airline on the ticket is the airline that operates the plane....unless they read the fine print.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos