Eindhoven
Topic Author

Rumour: W6 to start a base at EIN, start EIN-KEF

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:08 am

I heard a rumour today that after LTN EIN was to become the second base for W6 in western Europe. It is already a focus city with many destinations but no base. First route was to be EIN-KEF.

I think after the success of LTN this is very possible but it is a rumour. Can't say for sure.. What do you think?

LTenEleven

Re: Rumour: W6 to start a base at EIN, start EIN-KEF

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:32 am

It would not be hugely surprising. Wizz Air are placing increased emphasis on Western Europe, growing beyond the traditional East-West links.

The hand luggage policy change was a clear sign of this (and even acknowledged as such in invest relation calls). While immigrant traffic could accept paying for hand luggage, it was a more difficult concept to get accepted in other market segments.

Wizz Air have 280+ planed in order and even accounting for numerous retirements, they are aiming to be a big player.

Operating a fleet largely composed of A321s/A321 NEOs, their cost base will become harder to beat. Ryanair’s union recognition will also give Wizz Air a (small) advantage, for the time being at least.

lavalampluva

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:06 am

How much more can KEF hold??
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

SCQ83

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:48 am

I think EIN has still a lot of room to grow and W6 would make a lot of sense there.

The two closest big hubs (AMS and BRU) have no WizzAir presence and a very limited FR presence (only one route in AMS!). At the center of Benelux, that is an extremely populated and very touristic area at the same time (Amsterdam, Brugge, etc.). CRL is in a relatively similar situation and has +2 million PAX more as today.

For instance, if you look at W6 new destinations in LTN, from EIN those are not served except ATH and TLV with Transavia:

- Athens: only Transavia
- Bari: unserved from EIN
- Bratislava: unserved from EIN
- Larnaca: unserved from EIN
- Lviv: unserved from EIN
- Reykjavik-Keflavík: unserved from EIN
- Split: unserved from EIN
- Tallinn: unserved from EIN
- Tel Aviv: only Transavia
- Tirana: unserved from EIN

And I could see all of them working at EIN. Not to mention all the typical Eastern European additions they could make with an EIN base; they "only" have about 20 routes from there; while at LTN it is easily double that number to Eastern Europe alone.

Glareskin

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:54 am

I can imagine that scheduled flights from EIN could work to a lot of cities in Europe. The roads in Holland and Belgium are so congested and so is AMS as airport. For LH it would also work to connect pax from the EIN catchment area in FRA and ZRH. That would be a big blow for KLM who is so far not considering EIN as a second hub. So far KL is only working together with Schiphol airport to push out the low cost flights and charters to EIN and soon Lelystad.
Big opportunities for W6 and all others who will jump in here. For a major part of The Netherlands, Belgium and a populous part of Germany EIN is ideally located.
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

holcakker

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:16 am

As long as EIN is not willing to invest in an ILS it remains a small secondary airport with frequent diversions and cancellations. It's foggy every other day and while every small airports in the area (NRN, MST, CRL, BVA) realized this and have CAT III ILS EIN (=the military) just do not give a damn. As long as a stable operation can't be sustained (see this week how much flights diverted) the passengers can't trust Eindhoven airport when they buy their tickets.

PatrickZ80

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:29 am

I can definitely see this working. Eindhoven does have it's own catchment area in the south and east of the Netherlands including parts of Belgium and Germany. People living there are not likely to drive all the way to Amsterdam to catch a flight if they don't have to. Too many airlines focus too much on Amsterdam and forget about the rest of the Netherlands. Wizzair can easily capture that demand.

Dutchy

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:13 pm

I've always found Eindhoven an interesting case. Lot's of young people there. I still see America served from Eindhoven or some other long haul, perhaps an opportunity for Norwegian although they have set up shop on AMS.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

FlyRow

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 pm

It's getting overcrowded there. Growth is 15%+ yearly for years now. However, the airport will be near full next year and new Slots/flight limit negotiations are really really slow.

Other things that will/might be needed in the long term:
Parallel taxiway on the other side. All trafic has to cross the runway now.
Terminal extention
Don't know how much space the ramp has left, can't be much at peak times.
Bigger Car parks, the multi functional building will be rebuild in 2019 (maybe!?)
Better road acces (in the works).
ILS III as mentioned.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

Eindhoven
Topic Author

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Rumour turned out to be not true unfortunately, but not unthinkable in the future.

LTenEleven

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Eindhoven wrote:
Rumour turned out to be not true unfortunately, but not unthinkable in the future.

Ah why the quick turnaround?

arcticcruiser

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:23 pm

Flew W6 KEF-PRG-KEF this fall. Less than half full each way. For the price I paid, hardly sustainable. Flight as advertised, on time, clean a/c, reasonable cost of food. Not bad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos