User avatar
LoganTheBogan
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 am

Apparently QantasLink will be receiving two Airbus A320s from Jetstar that will operated in WA to cover some routes that are on high demand. I believe they'll be operated by Network. Can anyone confirm this?
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 am

qf2220 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
So what, dedicate a plane to a route because of its name? Not the best idea if youre wanting to keep fleet utilisation high and maximise the revenue potential....


LOL! Mate, Qokka is all about getting even more publicity for PER-LHR, nobody said it'll only ever be ex-PER and even if it's PER-MEL-SFO, or even one time BNE-LAX-JFK, so what? Nobody's gonna care about Qokka not being ex-PER after the route is launched.
 
BAeRJ100
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:29 am

LoganTheBogan wrote:
Apparently QantasLink will be receiving two Airbus A320s from Jetstar that will operated in WA to cover some routes that are on high demand. I believe they'll be operated by Network. Can anyone confirm this?


I've heard that it's been confirmed internally at QF that yes, Network will operate ex-JQ A320s.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A320/321/332/333/346/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900
 
User avatar
JBusworth
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:34 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
So what, dedicate a plane to a route because of its name? Not the best idea if youre wanting to keep fleet utilisation high and maximise the revenue potential....


LOL! Mate, Qokka is all about getting even more publicity for PER-LHR, nobody said it'll only ever be ex-PER and even if it's PER-MEL-SFO, or even one time BNE-LAX-JFK, so what? Nobody's gonna care about Qokka not being ex-PER after the route is launched.


Well said. I think we will find that Quokka is MEL based and therefore will operate MEL-LAX and MEL-SFO in addition to the MEL-PER-LHR. They just mention the Perth connection to the Quokka as publicity. But who knows, it could get swapped with a BNE based plane and run exclusively on BNE-LAX-JFK. It probably doesn't really matter. IMO VH-ZNC "Quokka" will operate the first MEL-PER-LHR.
 
sq256
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 am

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/five-elephants-in-the-room-virgin-australia-dances-ownership-tango-20180110-p4yydg.html wrote:
Mr Papiomytis, who was part of the strategy team at Etihad that decided to invest in Virgin, said it was possible Etihad would sell its stake in Virgin in the medium term.

“Etihad has lost money from the investment ... and there’s still a long way to go before they [Virgin] become sustainably profitable," he said.

“As an investment it does not make sense, but strategically it does because Australia’s still one of the most important markets for Etihad Airways".

Mr Papiomytis said Etihad would be weighing up whether divestment would jeopardise its lucrative code-share partnership, cede too much power to the other airlines who could draw Virgin passengers away from Abu Dhabi and towards their own hubs, or strengthen Emirates and Qantas' partnership.

“I don't see a very short-term divestment by Etihad in Virgin, but over the longer term I think that partnership can continue without the shareholding," he said, adding that Etihad would "100 per cent" want Virgin to privatise.


At least we know that the EY/VA JV for European would likely to continue without dramas should EY decide to divest themselves of their VA stake.

It is also assumed SQ would do the same thing should they also decide to exit VA (by keeping their SE Asia JV).

So the Velocity partnerships shouldn't change much should EY and/or SQ exit their VA stakes. NZ however may exit Velocity if their Trans-Tasman JV ends later this year and they decide to revert to being rivals on the Trans-Tasman sector. Although a VA downsizing/re-timing on the Trans-Tasman is very likely should that happen, re-timed to feed into VA's interline and/or codeshare partners from the SkyTeam alliance in SYD/MEL/BNE.
 
waoz1
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:46 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
So what, dedicate a plane to a route because of its name? Not the best idea if youre wanting to keep fleet utilisation high and maximise the revenue potential....


LOL! Mate, Qokka is all about getting even more publicity for PER-LHR, nobody said it'll only ever be ex-PER and even if it's PER-MEL-SFO, or even one time BNE-LAX-JFK, so what? Nobody's gonna care about Qokka not being ex-PER after the route is launched.


We get you dont like Perth.. time to move on
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6055
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 am

JBusworth wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
qf2220 wrote:


LOL! Mate, Qokka is all about getting even more publicity for PER-LHR, nobody said it'll only ever be ex-PER and even if it's PER-MEL-SFO, or even one time BNE-LAX-JFK, so what? Nobody's gonna care about Qokka not being ex-PER after the route is launched.


Well said. I think we will find that Quokka is MEL based and therefore will operate MEL-LAX and MEL-SFO in addition to the MEL-PER-LHR. They just mention the Perth connection to the Quokka as publicity. But who knows, it could get swapped with a BNE based plane and run exclusively on BNE-LAX-JFK. It probably doesn't really matter. IMO VH-ZNC "Quokka" will operate the first MEL-PER-LHR.


Except the aircraft will rotate through LAX, all 8 frames have will the same configuration so while 4 are MEL based and 4 BNE it’s not the same 4 frames. It’s just they are based in the sense that there are MEL BNE originating routes.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19463
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:17 am

sq256 wrote:
NZ however may exit Velocity if their Trans-Tasman JV ends later this year and they decide to revert to being rivals on the Trans-Tasman sector. Although a VA downsizing/re-timing on the Trans-Tasman is very likely should that happen, re-timed to feed into VA's interline and/or codeshare partners from the SkyTeam alliance in SYD/MEL/BNE.


No matter what happened between the two CEO's, I'd be a bit surprised if NZ wanted to end the JV - all that Aussie traffic is too important to them. When Luxon broke from the shareholding, everyone at NZ was at pains to insist that it didn't affect the JV.

I'm not sure how NZ would get pax to/from - say - DRW or BME or ASP, or a host of others - without Virgin. NZ may be able to fly these routes themselves, legally, but to replicate even a small percentage of the Virgin network would be expensive and would summon up all the unlaid ghosts of Ansett. Much as I'd love to see NZ fly within Oz, just a route or three, I don't think its going to happen in the foreseeable. And I could be seriously wrong, but I doubt NZ would be looking for a tie-up with Qantas/Jetstar, of if one would be approved.

So the JV looks to me like NZ's Plan A, and I'm not sure what the Plan B would be - or if there is one. I'm open to suggestions. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:27 am

qf789 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
REX has called one its aircraft Parkes which operated the Rex Hound Dog Express to the Parkes Elvis Festival


Has REX had a livery change?


I dont think so, it appears to be a one off at this stage


Yep a one off special livery for Parkes

http://www.rex.com.au/MediaRelease/File ... ouncil.pdf

"Regional Express (Rex) has today given due recognition to Parkes Shire Council for the longstanding partnership that has existed between the two parties since 2003. Today Rex has unveiled a Rex Saab 340 aircraft in special “Parkes” livery, as well as introducing a new $99 Rex Community Fare scheme between Parkes and Sydney."
 
sq256
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:42 am

mariner wrote:
No matter what happened between the two CEO's, I'd be a bit surprised if NZ wanted to end the JV - all that Aussie traffic is too important to them. When Luxon broke from the shareholding, everyone at NZ was at pains to insist that it didn't affect the JV.

I'm not sure how NZ would get pax to/from - say - DRW or BME or ASP, or a host of others - without Virgin. NZ may be able to fly these routes themselves, legally, but to replicate even a small percentage of the Virgin network would be expensive and would summon up all the unlaid ghosts of Ansett. Much as I'd love to see NZ fly within Oz, just a route or three, I don't think its going to happen in the foreseeable. And I could be seriously wrong, but I doubt NZ would be looking for a tie-up with Qantas/Jetstar, of if one would be approved.


Air North, REX, Alliance and other independent regional carriers/contractors are available for NZ to sort out a interline and/or codeshare deal for access to regional ports along the East Coast should the JV with VA end at the end of this year.

For example, for NZ to access Northern WA regional, NZ should be able to fly AKL-DRW themselves and sort out a interline deal to place passengers to/from the Air North network for example. Another example is Regional/Charter carrier Skippers Aviation may be an ideal partner at Perth for southern WA connections to/from NZ.

Some of the larger regional ports along the East Coast (e.g Newcastle, Rockhampton, etc), NZ may be able to fly themselves with A320s being freed up from the upcoming A321neo deliveries. Partially paying for customs/immigration officers (shared between NZ/Councils/State Governments - e.g the first few years at MCY) at the regional ports that currently don't have them shouldn't be a problem for them.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:56 am

Forum Moderator
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:25 am

Wow so much discussion and we're not even halfway through January. Agree that the tone has got a little aggressive, so second calls for everyone to take a breather. A few things:

1. Are the QF problems in North america because of original weather issues having a flow-on impact as they recover or is it more a fleet pushed to is limit? If the weather, have we seen other airlines have similar issues?

2. The video with the QF salesman is interesting in what it doesn't really discuss. The effective dumping of the via-Dubai strategy is glossed over in the EK relationship talk. It's a pretty substantial move that seems to have just been waved aside - is the return to the SIN hub an admission that pax just weren't all that into Dubai? Likewise the discussion of "innovation" is pretty weak - the 787 has been in-market for some time now and QF is late to the game. I'd rather they just got the basics right like, you know, cleaning the aircraft properly between flights (4 on the QF 787 domestically now and three out of those four times the seats were filthy with food droppings). It was good to hear him say that things change pretty quickly in the airline game. Yes QF is making some nice coin now (and VA isn't) but it can all to often change rapidly. Something to bear in mind methinks.

3. I love that QF is keeping the naming of aircraft convention going. Virgin too. Something that just evokes a passion for aviation that sadly my hometown carrier (NZ) has dropped. I do like the Virgin beach names and sure the QF 787s are a little hokey but I'd rather than than nothing.

4. Virgin: Talk of VA and NZ ending their alliance is interesting - VA has been increasing flights and I don't think it's as simple as just replacing them with other regional carriers. Main trunk domestic services are pretty important and both carriers benefit from each other on that one. I don't see SQ pulling out of VA but with EY fundamentally changing its thinking then yes that could be a shareholding to watch. The idea of DL swooping in is pretty interesting given their Virgin Atlantic stake. I'd say we're likely to see Borghetti announce a small profit this year (hopefully, after tax etc, none of this rubbish "underlying" nonsense) and ready for departure. I had no idea Luxon had put himself up as a Borghetti replacement - did I read that right? Fascinating if true. I still think NZ spat the dummy on that one and if it comes down to personality, well, that's hardly professionalism from either side.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:28 am

aerokiwi wrote:
1. Are the QF problems in North america because of original weather issues having a flow-on impact as they recover or is it more a fleet pushed to is limit? If the weather, have we seen other airlines have similar issues?


The weather in the US, has had a flow on effect plus the long haul fleet is currently being pushed to its maximum which also means that when an aircraft goes tech delays roll on to other flights, in some instances for days
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19463
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 am

aerokiwi wrote:
I had no idea Luxon had put himself up as a Borghetti replacement - did I read that right?


I haven't followed the Australian press, so I could easily be wrong, but I'm not aware that he did.

I've never seen any mention of it in the Kiwi press or heard anything from chums. I did hear rumours that the NZ BOD was pushing him because, to some of them, the smell of Ansett was in the air.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19463
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:31 am

sq256 wrote:
Air North, REX, Alliance and other independent regional carriers/contractors are available for NZ to sort out a interline and/or codeshare deal for access to regional ports along the East Coast should the JV with VA end at the end of this year.

For example, for NZ to access Northern WA regional, NZ should be able to fly AKL-DRW themselves and sort out a interline deal to place passengers to/from the Air North network for example. Another example is Regional/Charter carrier Skippers Aviation may be an ideal partner at Perth for southern WA connections to/from NZ.


Sure, they could cobble something together but its always going to look and feel like a patchwork. AKL-DRW is a long route and a simpler way into DRW might be to start a service AKL-WTB (almost halving the distance) and join up with Airnorth from there. But it's a new route and it would cost money.

And yes, Skipper's is a fun airline, but it has problems. I tried booking Perth - or even Darwin - to Broome, and here were no flights. It seems there are two divisions of the airline - southern WA and northern WA - and the two don't meet. NZ could use Airnorth to get pax to BME (from DRW), but those pax would have to fly back to DRW if they wanted to go on to PER.

sq256 wrote:
Some of the larger regional ports along the East Coast (e.g Newcastle, Rockhampton, etc), NZ may be able to fly themselves with A320s being freed up from the upcoming A321neo deliveries. Partially paying for customs/immigration officers (shared between NZ/Councils/State Governments - e.g the first few years at MCY) at the regional ports that currently don't have them shouldn't be a problem for them.


Yes, again, but again, it's all going to cost money whereas with Virgin Australia it's all already in place. I have no doubt that NZ could cope with dropping the JV, it's all fixable at an investment price, its just that I can't really see the (expensive) point.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:35 am

NTL to remain closed for the rest of today, will reopen tomorrow

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/9 ... 9419086848
Forum Moderator
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6055
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:42 am

sq256 wrote:
mariner wrote:
No matter what happened between the two CEO's, I'd be a bit surprised if NZ wanted to end the JV - all that Aussie traffic is too important to them. When Luxon broke from the shareholding, everyone at NZ was at pains to insist that it didn't affect the JV.

I'm not sure how NZ would get pax to/from - say - DRW or BME or ASP, or a host of others - without Virgin. NZ may be able to fly these routes themselves, legally, but to replicate even a small percentage of the Virgin network would be expensive and would summon up all the unlaid ghosts of Ansett. Much as I'd love to see NZ fly within Oz, just a route or three, I don't think its going to happen in the foreseeable. And I could be seriously wrong, but I doubt NZ would be looking for a tie-up with Qantas/Jetstar, of if one would be approved.


Air North, REX, Alliance and other independent regional carriers/contractors are available for NZ to sort out a interline and/or codeshare deal for access to regional ports along the East Coast should the JV with VA end at the end of this year.

For example, for NZ to access Northern WA regional, NZ should be able to fly AKL-DRW themselves and sort out a interline deal to place passengers to/from the Air North network for example. Another example is Regional/Charter carrier Skippers Aviation may be an ideal partner at Perth for southern WA connections to/from NZ.

Some of the larger regional ports along the East Coast (e.g Newcastle, Rockhampton, etc), NZ may be able to fly themselves with A320s being freed up from the upcoming A321neo deliveries. Partially paying for customs/immigration officers (shared between NZ/Councils/State Governments - e.g the first few years at MCY) at the regional ports that currently don't have them shouldn't be a problem for them.


FYI the NZ A320/321NEO’s are mainly replacing the existing fleet although there has been mention that some of the owned ones might stay if required and could possibly be used domestically to increase capacity there or I guess they could continue International if needed there as well.
 
sq256
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 am

mariner wrote:
Yes, again, but again, it's all going to cost money whereas with Virgin Australia it's all already in place. I have no doubt that NZ could cope with dropping the JV, it's all fixable at an investment price, its just that I can't really see the (expensive) point.


I do agree that NZ can cope without VA.

However, the relationship between VA and NZ seemed to have deteriorated since NZ left the VA board.
E.g NZ booting VA out of the Star lounge in LAX (since NZ operates the LAX star lounge), and VA retaliating by removing points for FFs on the Non-TransTasman flights (and vice-versa).

As much as many would prefer VA/NZ to keep their "scaled back" Trans-Tasman JV, I would not be surprised if NZ and VA does axe the JV, part ways entirely and decide to become hostile enemies on back of the personalities of both CEOs.
 
redroo
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:16 am

Not wanting to labour a point about Virgin but I just saw on another thread that delta has made 5.5bn this year. One would think in a market with really only two competing airlines that Virgin would be able to make a decent profit. Qantas made $1.4bn last year and Virgin can barely make a $1.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19463
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 am

sq256 wrote:
As much as many would prefer VA/NZ to keep their "scaled back" Trans-Tasman JV, I would not be surprised if NZ and VA does axe the JV, part ways entirely and decide to become hostile enemies on back of the personalities of both CEOs.


You may very well be right.

I don't particularly want it to happen, for the reasons I've already discussed, but if it does - it surely won't be dull! Image

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
waoz1
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 am

BAeRJ100 wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:
Apparently QantasLink will be receiving two Airbus A320s from Jetstar that will operated in WA to cover some routes that are on high demand. I believe they'll be operated by Network. Can anyone confirm this?


I've heard that it's been confirmed internally at QF that yes, Network will operate ex-JQ A320s.


Any ideas what routes
Maybe Perth-Broome? I know they are mostly F100s/717
 
qf002
Posts: 3395
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:27 pm

redroo wrote:
Not wanting to labour a point about Virgin but I just saw on another thread that delta has made 5.5bn this year. One would think in a market with really only two competing airlines that Virgin would be able to make a decent profit. Qantas made $1.4bn last year and Virgin can barely make a $1.


Yes exactly, and it's not as if their shareholders are just shifting the profits offshore because EY, SQ and HNA are all in the dumps financially as well.
 
redroo
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 pm

waoz1 wrote:
BAeRJ100 wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:
Apparently QantasLink will be receiving two Airbus A320s from Jetstar that will operated in WA to cover some routes that are on high demand. I believe they'll be operated by Network. Can anyone confirm this?


I've heard that it's been confirmed internally at QF that yes, Network will operate ex-JQ A320s.


Any ideas what routes
Maybe Perth-Broome? I know they are mostly F100s/717


Haven’t heard of any routes yet but the aircraft are due to arrive in a couple of months. My guess is they’ll use them on the mining flights to begin with.
 
Gemuser
Posts: 4715
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:47 am

From what I have observed on here over the years very few Australian Anetters, let alone anybody in the wider community have even heard of Connellan Airways, a true aviation pioneer in Australia. This story popped up on the ABC's morning email news feed this morning, well worth a read by anybody interested in aviation history:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-13/h ... rticlelink

Gemuser
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:34 am

Virgin's latest 737-800 VH-YWE has rolled out of paint at Renton and has been named Dreamtime Beach

Image

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/sta ... 2529992704
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 am

On the QF fleet thread it has been mentioned that QF's A380's will begin being repainted this year, the first in DXB, this would explain where the extra A380 freed up from MEL-DXB-LHR is going

Thanks to EK413 for alerting us to this
Forum Moderator
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 am

qf002 wrote:
redroo wrote:
Not wanting to labour a point about Virgin but I just saw on another thread that delta has made 5.5bn this year. One would think in a market with really only two competing airlines that Virgin would be able to make a decent profit. Qantas made $1.4bn last year and Virgin can barely make a $1.


Yes exactly, and it's not as if their shareholders are just shifting the profits offshore because EY, SQ and HNA are all in the dumps financially as well.


Labouring the point at least. I mean, how often outside of reporting season does it have to be "discussed"?

Not excusing VA's crappy financial performance of late, but interesting that the financial struggles of other carriers is brought up. Might make one think that perhaps blanket assertions across the industry are a little, I dunno, simplistic?

Gemuser wrote:
From what I have observed on here over the years very few Australian Anetters, let alone anybody in the wider community have even heard of Connellan Airways, a true aviation pioneer in Australia. This story popped up on the ABC's morning email news feed this morning, well worth a read by anybody interested in aviation history:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-13/h ... rticlelink

Gemuser


Yes I read that yesterday, thanks for posting. Fascinating little airline. The local re-engineering of the Herons and the bizarre suicide-murder crash - amazing stuff.
 
TN486
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 am

^^ Thanks Gemuser, I missed that one. Eddy Conellan and CONAIR get a mention in the book "A Lifetime in Longhaul". Trainee QF pilots from the Qantas Cadet Pilot Training Scheme (1965 - 1972) saw flying experience with Conellan Airways due to the secondment scheme that was put in place with it and other organisations. The cadets were at these organisations for 12 months of their training. "A Lifetime in Longhaul" and a follow up book "A Lifetime in Longhaul - The Bigger Picture" is by Bill Anderson, himself a product of the Cadet Scheme. Some of the recollections of the seconded cadets re Eddie and his airline are very interesting reading. Eddie himself apparently had a few medical problems and was flying under a dispensation from the DCA (Dept of Civil Aviation). By the way, both books are a great read.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
TN486
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:09 am

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Connellan% ... cences.htm

Also a good read ref Connellan Airways.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:26 am

JQ has cancelled all flights to NTL today

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/9 ... 5594835968
Forum Moderator
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:49 am

qf789 wrote:
JQ has cancelled all flights to NTL today

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/9 ... 5594835968


Weird as an orange bellied plane just flew over my house.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7235
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 am

NTLDaz wrote:
qf789 wrote:
JQ has cancelled all flights to NTL today

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/9 ... 5594835968


Weird as an orange bellied plane just flew over my house.



JQ and VA both diverted several flights to SYD after circling NTL several times.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:07 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
qf789 wrote:
JQ has cancelled all flights to NTL today

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/9 ... 5594835968


Weird as an orange bellied plane just flew over my house.



JQ and VA both diverted several flights to SYD after circling NTL several times.


Yes just heard on the news. Really strong winds here today.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am

NTLDaz wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

Weird as an orange bellied plane just flew over my house.



JQ and VA both diverted several flights to SYD after circling NTL several times.


Yes just heard on the news. Really strong winds here today.


NTL has been closed again

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/ ... cial-9News
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:31 am

As mentioned earlier in the thread SYD-MEL route is the 2nd busiest in the world with around 54500 trips between the 2 cities in 2017, refer to graph below as a reference

Image

https://twitter.com/business/status/952409866546614272
Forum Moderator
 
xiaotung
Posts: 921
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:35 am

aerokiwi wrote:

4. Virgin: Talk of VA and NZ ending their alliance is interesting - VA has been increasing flights and I don't think it's as simple as just replacing them with other regional carriers. Main trunk domestic services are pretty important and both carriers benefit from each other on that one. I don't see SQ pulling out of VA but with EY fundamentally changing its thinking then yes that could be a shareholding to watch. The idea of DL swooping in is pretty interesting given their Virgin Atlantic stake. I'd say we're likely to see Borghetti announce a small profit this year (hopefully, after tax etc, none of this rubbish "underlying" nonsense) and ready for departure. I had no idea Luxon had put himself up as a Borghetti replacement - did I read that right? Fascinating if true. I still think NZ spat the dummy on that one and if it comes down to personality, well, that's hardly professionalism from either side.


I have only heard media quoting Luxon as saying he could do a better job than Borghetti. That's not the same thing as putting himself up as Borghetti replacement.

I don't think NZ/VA would end their trans-Tasman partnership as it has served both airlines well in terms of access to their respective domestic networks.Why would they end it when there is so much commercial gain?

As for why NZ recently ended their loyalty relationship including lounge access with VA on long haul routes, it's quite simple. VA's alliances with DL and HNA are direct competition with NZ's own. NZ used to put up with it because if VA overall was profitable, NZ had something to gain through their shareholding. It's no longer the case as they are not a shareholder anymore. To be honest, I think NZ lounges are already too crowded serving all the *A carriers both at LAX and here. The shareholding thing may not have been the only reason.

I don't see SQ pull out either. Aussie domestic feed and loyalty base are too important.
 
zkncj
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:41 am

ZK-NBT wrote:

FYI the NZ A320/321NEO’s are mainly replacing the existing fleet although there has been mention that some of the owned ones might stay if required and could possibly be used domestically to increase capacity there or I guess they could continue International if needed there as well.


There is also that lease deal that they have on 5x A321NEO's which is noted at the bottom the fleet table in all the investor updates, which allow them to either sell 5x owned A320NEO orders to the lease company or keep all 13 owned orders and also take 5x leasesd.
 
User avatar
A330freak
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 am

NTLDaz wrote:
qf789 wrote:
JQ has cancelled all flights to NTL today

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/9 ... 5594835968


Weird as an orange bellied plane just flew over my house.

Could have been the DC-10 Tanker
https://twitter.com/ABCemergency/status ... 5300450305
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 am

Saturday's UA839 LAX-SYD has returned to LAX

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL839/101ec9a8
Forum Moderator
 
sq256
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am

xiaotung wrote:
I don't think NZ/VA would end their trans-Tasman partnership as it has served both airlines well in terms of access to their respective domestic networks.Why would they end it when there is so much commercial gain?


Egos of both CEOs may possibly see an end to the JV pretty quickly at the end of 2018, even if some staff on both sides want it to continue.

xiaotung wrote:
I don't see SQ pull out either. Aussie domestic feed and loyalty base are too important.


SQ aren't in the best of financial positions themselves, as they are still sorting the TR/TZ merger post-SOC.

Like with EY should they exit, the SQ/VA S.E Asia JV with feed to/from both carriers could continue without the VA shareholdings, whereas that may not be the case for NZ at the end of the year if egos get in the way.
 
travelhound
Posts: 1649
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 pm

sq256 wrote:
xiaotung wrote:
I don't think NZ/VA would end their trans-Tasman partnership as it has served both airlines well in terms of access to their respective domestic networks.Why would they end it when there is so much commercial gain?


Egos of both CEOs may possibly see an end to the JV pretty quickly at the end of 2018, even if some staff on both sides want it to continue.

xiaotung wrote:
I don't see SQ pull out either. Aussie domestic feed and loyalty base are too important.


SQ aren't in the best of financial positions themselves, as they are still sorting the TR/TZ merger post-SOC.

Like with EY should they exit, the SQ/VA S.E Asia JV with feed to/from both carriers could continue without the VA shareholdings, whereas that may not be the case for NZ at the end of the year if egos get in the way.


Just putting my old marketing hat on!

In the last year or two we have seen Air New Zealand directly target the Australian market with their own product. This includes:

1) advertising directly to the Australian market for its long haul product (instead of using marketing channels through its JV partner Virgin Australia); and
2) Air New Zealand increasing flying using its own aircraft to service primary and secondary Australian cities.

Normally, under a JV arrangement the benefits are derived from leveraging the marketing activities / scale of the JV partner, not competing directly with it. So, from this perspective we could have a very clear message that Air New Zealand no longer value the JV arrangement as they once did.

From where I sit, Air New Zealand has the potential to be the airline of choice for flights to the Americas in a similar manner to Emirates being the current airline of choice for flights to Europe.

As such, and if my reasoning is correct, a question revolves around at what stage would the JV with Virgin Australia become redundant?

With new A321NEO aircraft coming into the fleet through direct purchases and operating leases, Air New Zealand could soon have enough scale and an economic operational advantage to directly compete with Virgin Australia.

I suspect the ANZ/VA JV is on the ropes.
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2281
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Hey guys,
Re REX modified livery....
Yes, I can confirm that at least one Saab is in a modified livery, having seen it at Wagga yesterday.
The engines are painted blue, the tail design is modified slightly with the orange 'swoosh' being straight / diagonal rather than curved upward, and the titles 'Regional Express' on the forward fuselage being in a different (though similar) font....
Not sure if it is a fleet wide change or a one off.... I will check my pics tomorrow and see if the plane I saw is the 'Parkes' one. I don't recall seeing 'Parkes' titles on it.
And while on the subject of Wagga, the RAAF Museum's presentation of F111, Mirage, Meteor and Canberra aircraft is outstanding! Well done to all concerned.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
xiaotung
Posts: 921
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm

sq256 wrote:
xiaotung wrote:
I don't think NZ/VA would end their trans-Tasman partnership as it has served both airlines well in terms of access to their respective domestic networks.Why would they end it when there is so much commercial gain?


Egos of both CEOs may possibly see an end to the JV pretty quickly at the end of 2018, even if some staff on both sides want it to continue.

xiaotung wrote:
I don't see SQ pull out either. Aussie domestic feed and loyalty base are too important.


SQ aren't in the best of financial positions themselves, as they are still sorting the TR/TZ merger post-SOC.

Like with EY should they exit, the SQ/VA S.E Asia JV with feed to/from both carriers could continue without the VA shareholdings, whereas that may not be the case for NZ at the end of the year if egos get in the way.


SQ/EY are different from NZ in that should they exit, VA have myriads of other Asian carriers they could partner with. To both VA and NZ, they only have each other across the ditch. It's not the trans-Tasman flights per se that are important but the reach into each other's domestic network. I don't buy that it would come down to CEOs' egos. They are not Donald Trump.
 
xiaotung
Posts: 921
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 pm

travelhound wrote:
sq256 wrote:
xiaotung wrote:
I don't think NZ/VA would end their trans-Tasman partnership as it has served both airlines well in terms of access to their respective domestic networks.Why would they end it when there is so much commercial gain?


Egos of both CEOs may possibly see an end to the JV pretty quickly at the end of 2018, even if some staff on both sides want it to continue.

xiaotung wrote:
I don't see SQ pull out either. Aussie domestic feed and loyalty base are too important.


SQ aren't in the best of financial positions themselves, as they are still sorting the TR/TZ merger post-SOC.

Like with EY should they exit, the SQ/VA S.E Asia JV with feed to/from both carriers could continue without the VA shareholdings, whereas that may not be the case for NZ at the end of the year if egos get in the way.


Just putting my old marketing hat on!

In the last year or two we have seen Air New Zealand directly target the Australian market with their own product. This includes:

1) advertising directly to the Australian market for its long haul product (instead of using marketing channels through its JV partner Virgin Australia); and
2) Air New Zealand increasing flying using its own aircraft to service primary and secondary Australian cities.

Normally, under a JV arrangement the benefits are derived from leveraging the marketing activities / scale of the JV partner, not competing directly with it. So, from this perspective we could have a very clear message that Air New Zealand no longer value the JV arrangement as they once did.

From where I sit, Air New Zealand has the potential to be the airline of choice for flights to the Americas in a similar manner to Emirates being the current airline of choice for flights to Europe.

As such, and if my reasoning is correct, a question revolves around at what stage would the JV with Virgin Australia become redundant?

With new A321NEO aircraft coming into the fleet through direct purchases and operating leases, Air New Zealand could soon have enough scale and an economic operational advantage to directly compete with Virgin Australia.

I suspect the ANZ/VA JV is on the ropes.


NZ knew their EZE/IAH would need a lof Aussie feed even before they announced those services. I doubt it would have anything to do with the VA relationship. Likewise, UA launching IAH-SYD is not a signal that UA/NZ JV is in jeopardy.
 
User avatar
angusjt
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Apparently VH-VQU & VH-VQS are the Jetstar A320s set to be repainted into the QLink livery .
 
A350OZ
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 am

qf789 wrote:
Malindo Air has received traffic rights for daily KUL-DPS-MEL from April 18

https://twitter.com/airlineroute/status ... 0407546880


This is good news and gives me hope that they'll be launching MEL soon. Ever since VA handed DPS flying to Tiger and the debacle that followed, and apart from the short-lived IndoAirAsia on DPS-MEL I feel there is room for some more competition on this route. Both JQ (11 weekly) and GA (daily) seem to be very comfy and I wouldn't mind a 3rd option, even if it is a 4-weekly 738, so not flooding the market.
 
smi0006
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:35 am

A350OZ wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Malindo Air has received traffic rights for daily KUL-DPS-MEL from April 18

https://twitter.com/airlineroute/status ... 0407546880


This is good news and gives me hope that they'll be launching MEL soon. Ever since VA handed DPS flying to Tiger and the debacle that followed, and apart from the short-lived IndoAirAsia on DPS-MEL I feel there is room for some more competition on this route. Both JQ (11 weekly) and GA (daily) seem to be very comfy and I wouldn't mind a 3rd option, even if it is a 4-weekly 738, so not flooding the market.


I’d also like to see QF back on the route seasonally. I think with SYD being a success complimenting JQ so can MEL seasonally - good market to burn FF points and some people will be sufficiently loyal to avoid GA.
 
smi0006
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:35 am

angusjt wrote:
Apparently VH-VQU & VH-VQS are the Jetstar A320s set to be repainted into the QLink livery .


Exciting looking forward to seeing this!
 
tullamarine
Posts: 1809
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:51 am

smi0006 wrote:
A350OZ wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Malindo Air has received traffic rights for daily KUL-DPS-MEL from April 18

https://twitter.com/airlineroute/status ... 0407546880


This is good news and gives me hope that they'll be launching MEL soon. Ever since VA handed DPS flying to Tiger and the debacle that followed, and apart from the short-lived IndoAirAsia on DPS-MEL I feel there is room for some more competition on this route. Both JQ (11 weekly) and GA (daily) seem to be very comfy and I wouldn't mind a 3rd option, even if it is a 4-weekly 738, so not flooding the market.


I’d also like to see QF back on the route seasonally. I think with SYD being a success complimenting JQ so can MEL seasonally - good market to burn FF points and some people will be sufficiently loyal to avoid GA.

I don't know that QF are particularly interested in a route that is predominantly for FF redemptions. Remember, the most profitable use of points for QF is expiry.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 789, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:12 am

Canberra Airport talking up Jetstar to operate on the CBR-SYD route

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0hl32.html
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos