CraigAnderson

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:00 am

vossitch wrote:
Hi All,

Long time lurker, thought I'd join the ranks of poster today...

I'm off to LAX next week with Virgin, does anyone know if of their 777 (other than VH-VPE) has been fitted with WiFi yet? An article from AusBT in early December indicated a second would be completed by end of December 17 but I haven't seen anything about it.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Yes, AusBT article here for reference at https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-launches-free-wifi-on-flights-to-los-angeles, two Boeing 777s have now been fitted with WiFi and the service is still in free 'trial' mode.

CraigAnderson

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:04 am

zkncj wrote:
Luxon vs Broghetti is almost worth an TV show on Barvo!

A dramatic mini-series maybe, I'd watch it! Did anybody publish a solid report of exactly what happened, or was it like JT leaving Virgin in a hurry, exact reasons generally hushed up? What I heard was that at a board meeting Luxon demanded that Borghetti resign or be sacked as Virgin Australia CEO with Luxon to take his place! The chairman and board backed Borghetti, Luxon stormed out and NZ announced it was putting its VA stake up for sale.

CraigAnderson

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 am

I'm curious as to what websites everybody here reads for Australian airline & aviation news, here is my list of how I rate the websites, any I am missing out and should put on the list?

Australian Aviation http://australianaviation.com.au : of course! A shame they keep the best articles for the printed edition through because a lot of whats online is just news or press releases.

Airline Hub Buzz http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com : a bit more 'industry insider' at times with good leaks but seems to have gone quiet lately.

Airline Ratings https://www.airlineratings.com : can't work this one out, half the time it's just shameless PR for Qantas and Air New Zealand with regurgitated press releases, strangely random stories about anything to fo with travel and aviation but sometimes good updates on the MH370 search.

Australian Business Traveller https://www.ausbt.com.au : definitely the best source for news, always beats the other websites with the latest news and seems to land lots of 'exclusive' scoops but doesn't really cover 'aviation' and sometimes the writing style is a bit too upbeat, saying things like 'wheels up' and 'pointy end'.

Two local blogs are AusTraveller https://medium.com/austraveller and Points From The Pacific http://pointsfromthepacific.boardingarea.com, pretty lame affairs, the second one is trying to be like an Australian version of One Mile At A Time, why don't we have any really good aviation blogs or am I missing out in my list? Just a real shame that Crikey hasn't found anybody to take over Plane Talking but then nobody could replace Ben Sandilands!

zkncj

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
zkncj wrote:

A dramatic mini-series maybe, I'd watch it! Did anybody publish a solid report of exactly what happened, or was it like JT leaving Virgin in a hurry, exact reasons generally hushed up? What I heard was that at a board meeting Luxon demanded that Borghetti resign or be sacked as Virgin Australia CEO with Luxon to take his place! The chairman and board backed Borghetti, Luxon stormed out and NZ announced it was putting its VA stake up for sale.

Pretty much what it was report too be!

Largely think it would of been NZ was sick of seeing VA bleed money (Money that NZ was having to invest into VA), got sick of VA trying to be an new Qantas when it wasn't working. NZ though that they should have full control of the airline (Being largest shareholder) and ended walking away from the table wanting out.

NZ/VA never really seemed to be an mirage too work? for example NZ was going down the LCC style for short-haul service, while VA was racing towards being to be an full service airline. Which to NZ likely didn't make sense, as they know how profitable they have become in recent years doing down the LCC style of service on Short-Haul and was wanting to stick by there Seats to Suit product.

NZ is very conceived that Seats to Suit is one of the best short-haul products out there, and you're average punter will even think there getting an cheaper deal by not having food and drinks on there 4hour flight. To some merit it has worked very well for NZ you just have to look at how many passengers are flying Seat Only and Seat + Bag across the Tasman, to the point its allowing them to fill up 777s (along with connecting traffic to makeup the reset).

zkncj

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Airline Ratings https://www.airlineratings.com : can't work this one out, half the time it's just shameless PR for Qantas and Air New Zealand with regurgitated press releases, strangely random stories about anything to fo with travel and aviation but sometimes good updates on the MH370 search.

Honestly wonder sometimes if NZ partly owns this website - somehow NZ always wins Airline of the year from them (which in return gets mentioned on every flight by NZ)

waoz1

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 am

zkncj wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Honestly wonder sometimes if NZ partly owns this website - somehow NZ always wins Airline of the year from them (which in return gets mentioned on every flight by NZ)

Its actually run out of newspapers house in Perth aka The West / Seven Perth

mariner

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
What I heard was that at a board meeting Luxon demanded that Borghetti resign or be sacked as Virgin Australia CEO with Luxon to take his place! The chairman and board backed Borghetti, Luxon stormed out and NZ announced it was putting its VA stake up for sale.

I doubt it was quite like that because it covered more than one Board meeting. Luxon - and by extension Air NZ - had ben known to be unhappy for some time and didn't make a great a secret as to why.

The crisis had been brewing for some time and there had been several attempts to bring it to a peaceful resolution. Tpny Carter, the Chairman of NZ was sent over to try and smooth the waters, but couldnn't get anywhere. As might have been expected the other two biggies airlines backed the Borghetti approach because it gave them more premium pax for thier airines, and Branson was in that mix as well.

It is was probably clear to Luxon that it was over before it began. NZ - his board, his crew - would have supported him in almost anything BUT this one had two many ghosts of Ansett.

Should it have happened? I don;t think so. I think Luxon and Borghetti are like oil and water and I still don't think Borghetti has a realistic vision for his airline - I think he thinks he's worth more than selling-out to the Chines.

It's a cock-up and has been for a while and it's ipty really. Virgin Blue was such a good - and profitable - thing.

mariner
aeternum nauta

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 am

All QF departures out of LAX have been delayed again, QF94 is the first depart 3 hrs behind schedule so tomorrows QF93 will see a delayed departure
Forum Moderator

sq256

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:44 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Didn't help that the three shareholders had all different visions for VA. NZ was going the hybrid LCC approach for short-haul, plus there was also rumours that Luxon wanted Borghetti to terminate the TransPacific DL JV (& VA long haul entirely) and put their passengers on NZ and UA.

Borghetti, the VA board and by extension SQ & EY didn't support that "alleged" proposal, saying it would only "enrich" his airline and not benefit others.
Not to mention the hostile rivalry between VA and UA since the early V-Aus days under then-CEO Brett Godfrey when he cancelled a DJ/UA interline agreement and went with VX and DL when V-Aus was setup.
Most of VA's TransPac passengers on Social Media by extension also aren't fans of UA either and would've taken their business elsewhere otherwise.

And with DL increasing their involvement in the JV with VA in LAX (including co-locating their LAX checkins in T2), in addition to DL being coy over future VA involvement. I wouldn't be surprised if DL and/or a Skyteam partner are a darkhorse in further involvement in VA (based on the assumption some of those folks would want SQ and/or EY to sell their stakes plus waiting for Borghetti to "move on" from the CEO role should SQ and/or EY quit).

Obzerva

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:58 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
I'm curious as to what websites everybody here reads for Australian airline & aviation news, here is my list of how I rate the websites, any I am missing out and should put on the list?

Australian Aviation http://australianaviation.com.au : of course! A shame they keep the best articles for the printed edition through because a lot of whats online is just news or press releases.

Airline Hub Buzz http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com : a bit more 'industry insider' at times with good leaks but seems to have gone quiet lately.

Australian Business Traveller https://www.ausbt.com.au : definitely the best source for news, always beats the other websites with the latest news and seems to land lots of 'exclusive' scoops but doesn't really cover 'aviation' and sometimes the writing style is a bit too upbeat, saying things like 'wheels up' and 'pointy end'.

Two local blogs are AusTraveller https://medium.com/austraveller and Points From The Pacific http://pointsfromthepacific.boardingarea.com, pretty lame affairs, the second one is trying to be like an Australian version of One Mile At A Time, why don't we have any really good aviation blogs or am I missing out in my list? Just a real shame that Crikey hasn't found anybody to take over Plane Talking but then nobody could replace Ben Sandilands!

There's also traveldaily.com.au - but someone really needs to send them a list of airport and airline codes, the number of mistakes devalues them somewhat.
Also I wouldn't exactly say there were first with any news.

planemanofnz

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am

EK413 wrote:
Wasn’t aware the option has been exhausted with all the talk of QR potential to launch BNE via a regional city. (Not that I’m suggesting DOH-BNE-HBA)

Yes - restrictions in the bilateral with Australia meant that QR needed AKL, in order for more tier-one Australasian growth.

I have not heard any rumours about BNE, but I know that there were rumblings of QR looking at CNS, in October of 2017.

See: http://www.cairnspost.com.au/business/m ... 76f26d6065.

QR would also not face bilateral restrictions at OOL, but OOL's runway length would restrict non-stop flights to/from DOH.

Cheers,

C.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 am

Seems QF12 LAX-SYD has gone tech, has been delayed overnight for a 10am departure, planned arrival into SYD 2000 Wed
Forum Moderator

Goodbye

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am

✈︎

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 am

MH to fly A388 to SYD on selected dates between March and July, previously it was only around Easter

The daly MH122/MH123 service between Kuala Lumpur and Sydney will shift from an Airbus A330 to the double-deck A380 on 11 dates so far: March 31, April 1, April 13, April 14, April 15, June 22, June 23, June 24, June 25, June 30 and July 1.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airli ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am

Good news Re: MH to BNE.

At 4 x weekly it is a good start, but will certainly impact Malindo’s market. At least they can rely on BNE-DPS traffic to fill some seats, but the only way they will appeal for KUL bound pax is on price. Hardly ideal.

qf789 wrote:
MH to fly A388 to SYD on selected dates between March and July, previously it was only around Easter

The daly MH122/MH123 service between Kuala Lumpur and Sydney will shift from an Airbus A330 to the double-deck A380 on 11 dates so far: March 31, April 1, April 13, April 14, April 15, June 22, June 23, June 24, June 25, June 30 and July 1.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airli ... ource=hero

Interesting that MEL doesn’t seem to be lined up for any A380 flights at this stage.

I guess it will see a few here and there also along the way if they can be handled by the congested facilities at MEL during their flight schedules.

JBusworth

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 pm

I would like to see MH schedule a regular A380 into SYD, even if only seasonally over busy periods. It would allow them to offer first class into the market, provide greater capacity and give the aircraft additional flying hours.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Forgot to mention this

VH-ZND entered final assembly a few days ago
VH-ZNC is still going pre flight checks but should have its first flight in the next few days
Forum Moderator

eamondzhang

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:44 pm

qf789 wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey travelhound,
JQ's expansion is something I have been highly curious about for a while now too.
I think that the arrival of the neos will begin a new phase of expansion, with their increased capabilities and more economical operation compared to the ceos.
I still think that a few extra Dreamliners (at least three) are a possibility, probably -8s but maybe -9s or -10s depending upon the specific routes under consideration. -10s would be particularly suitable for Japan, I think.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

If JQ got any more 787's I think they would be 788's, current configuration of the 788's is 335 seats, a 789 would seat around 375 and a 787-10 425. Personally I think both would be too big capacity wise, a 788 would be better as they could always increase frequency on a particular route

If we use TR as any reference (TR had the same 788 config as JQ has) the 789 would be ~375 seater bird, which I think would be too much for JQ.

Michael

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:48 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
qf789 wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey travelhound,
JQ's expansion is something I have been highly curious about for a while now too.
I think that the arrival of the neos will begin a new phase of expansion, with their increased capabilities and more economical operation compared to the ceos.
I still think that a few extra Dreamliners (at least three) are a possibility, probably -8s but maybe -9s or -10s depending upon the specific routes under consideration. -10s would be particularly suitable for Japan, I think.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

If JQ got any more 787's I think they would be 788's, current configuration of the 788's is 335 seats, a 789 would seat around 375 and a 787-10 425. Personally I think both would be too big capacity wise, a 788 would be better as they could always increase frequency on a particular route

If we use TR as any reference (TR had the same 788 config as JQ has) the 789 would be ~375 seater bird, which I think would be too much for JQ.

Michael

I agree.

The 788 is the right size for their needs. It provides them with good economics in a higher density configuration, without the risks of trying to fill even more seats.

Given that JQ did not take the last 3 788’s though, it would appear that they are satisfied with their fleet at this point.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:36 pm

HNA group failed to fully disclosed to ASX VA Stake

The acquisitive Chinese conglomerate HNA Group, which is under scrutiny globally over its opaque ownership structure, lodged five incomplete notices with the ASX that failed to properly disclose how its major stake in Virgin Australia was controlled.
HNA has told the ASX that five substantial holder notices lodged between June 2016 and October 2017 relating to its 19 per cent stake in Virgin Australia failed to list entities that held a "relevant interest" in the airline.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... 4yyc0.html
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:43 pm

QF11 SYD-LAX for Wednesday will be operated by 744 instead of A388
Forum Moderator

vossitch

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks, yep that's the article I was referring to. Any idea of the reg of the second 777?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sydscott

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:25 pm

qf789 wrote:
HNA group failed to fully disclosed to ASX VA Stake

The acquisitive Chinese conglomerate HNA Group, which is under scrutiny globally over its opaque ownership structure, lodged five incomplete notices with the ASX that failed to properly disclose how its major stake in Virgin Australia was controlled.
HNA has told the ASX that five substantial holder notices lodged between June 2016 and October 2017 relating to its 19 per cent stake in Virgin Australia failed to list entities that held a "relevant interest" in the airline.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... 4yyc0.html

Not surprising as that is the way business is done in China. It will be very interesting to see the final outcome of these notices and who the ultimate, ultimate owner is linked to. Personally I think the NZ Government did the smart thing in blocking the UDC sale under the pretext that they didn't know who ultimately controlled the business. The ASX should keeping turning the screws until they're sure they have all of the relevant information.

oskarclare

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:40 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:

At 4 x weekly it is a good start, but will certainly impact Malindo’s market. At least they can rely on BNE-DPS traffic to fill some seats, but the only way they will appeal for KUL bound pax is on price. Hardly ideal.

I think you will find the majority of passengers on Malindo are from/to DPS. According to BITRE, there are only around 170 passenger per month actually going to KUL. So this shouldn't impact them to much.

vossitch

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:41 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
vossitch wrote:
Hi All,

Long time lurker, thought I'd join the ranks of poster today...

I'm off to LAX next week with Virgin, does anyone know if of their 777 (other than VH-VPE) has been fitted with WiFi yet? An article from AusBT in early December indicated a second would be completed by end of December 17 but I haven't seen anything about it.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Yes, AusBT article here for reference at https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-launches-free-wifi-on-flights-to-los-angeles, two Boeing 777s have now been fitted with WiFi and the service is still in free 'trial' mode.

Thanks, yep that's the article I was referring to. Any idea of the reg of the second 777?

Qantas16

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 pm

oskarclare wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

I think you will find the majority of passengers on Malindo are from/to DPS. According to BITRE, there are only around 170 passenger per month actually going to KUL. So this shouldn't impact them to much.

That's true but Malindo did say they were planning on flying the A330 to BNE on KUL-BNE direct - so will be interesting to see whether that affects those (unconfirmed) plans.

oskarclare

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

That's true but Malindo did say they were planning on flying the A330 to BNE on KUL-BNE direct - so will be interesting to see whether that affects those (unconfirmed) plans.

Those plans are well and truly put on hold because the A330's have gone to Thai Lion air.

Qantas16

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 am

oskarclare wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

Those plans are well and truly put on hold because the A330's have gone to Thai Lion air.

Well in that case then yes, I doubt Malindo is overly concerned about MH then.

Qantas16

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 am

BITRE October 2017 Stats have just been released

Source: https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... y_1710.pdf

Some interesting points:

HKG

QF load factor of 89.7% inbound, 85.6% outbound (BNE, SYD, MEL)
CX load factor of 89.8%/78.0% (ADL, BNE, CNS, MEL, PER, SYD)
VA load factor of 70.4%/63.2% (MEL)
HX load factor of 60.3%/65.1% (OOL, CNS)

Whilst we can't compare the load factors between CX, QF and VA on MEL only, it certainly isn't a strong performance by VA for a 5-6month old route.

USA

AA lf 94.5%/75.4% (SYD-LAX)
DL lf 93.4%/71.5% (SYD-LAX)
QF lf 93.5%/76.0% (BNE-LAX, MEL-LAX, SYD-HNL/LAX/SFO/DFW)
VA lf 89.4%74.3% (BNE/SYD/MEL-LAX)
UA lf 86.2%/63.4% (SYD/MEL-LAX, SYD-SFO)
JQ lf 96.0%/86.4% (SYD/MEL-HNL)
HA lf 90.0/83.2% (SYD/BNE-HNL)

Overall strong load factors for low season (I presume?).

POM

VA load factor 34.1%/37.6% (BNE)
QF load factor 70.9%/66.4% (BNE)
PX load factor 50.3%/42.2% (BNE, CNS, SYD, TSV)

Another poor performance by VA in a route they have been established in a lot longer than QF with their own metal. PX does operate 767s to BNE and occasionally SYD due to higher freight uplift so likely a factor in their lower load factor.

zkncj

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:32 am

Qantas16 wrote:

POM

Another poor performance by VA in a route they have been established in a lot longer than QF with their own metal. PX does operate 767s to BNE and occasionally SYD due to higher freight uplift so likely a factor in their lower load factor.

Does VA have an freight contract that makes it worth operating to POM? Otherwise surely that route needs to go

CraigAnderson

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:17 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Whilst we can't compare the load factors between CX, QF and VA on MEL only, it certainly isn't a strong performance by VA for a 5-6month old route.

Although VA's other numbers eg LAX aren't bad I still would like to see VA
1. exit the international market entirely and focus purely on domestic, based on
2. being bought by SQ and having SQ run 5th freedom flights between Australia and the USA, and
3. as part of the SQ buyout, have VA join Star Alliance

Virgin could focus on keeping the domestic pressure on QF and as a Star Alliance member they'd be a much more attractive alternative to QF, while SQ would definitely be competitive on the US routes.

ZK-NBT

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

1. exit the international market entirely and focus purely on domestic, based on
2. being bought by SQ and having SQ run 5th freedom flights between Australia and the USA, and

Virgin could focus on keeping the domestic pressure on QF and as a Star Alliance member they'd be a much more attractive alternative to QF, while SQ would definitely be competitive on the US routes.

Why SQ running OZ-US? UA or NZ maybe, NZ unlikely though they will go through AKL. SQ were denied rights 15 years ago and TBH I don’t think much would have changed, not a natural route for them. VA seem to do ok to LAX, is it profitable? And they are interested in Asia, rightly or wrongly, they may be better off with a single type for long haul as in A359 or 789.

sq256

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:50 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

VA has hostilities with NZ (basically frenemies) and UA for them to join Star at this point. Also, SQ are being coy over their future in VA whether if they are going to exit the VA shareholding.

Keep in mind NZ booted VA out of the Star lounge in LAX, and VA retaliated by removing points from non Trans-Tasman NZ operated flights.

It's increasingly more likely VA will be leaning towards Skyteam with increased involvement by DL in LAX & other partners. Worst case scenario there is that VA basically becomes a Skyteam feeder (being AU with NZ and possibly only SYD-LAX being the only international as part of the DL JV), should Hainan Group exit (with pressure from the Chinese government, therefore ending HKG) and EY and SQ both leave.

CraigAnderson

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:54 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Why SQ running OZ-US? UA or NZ maybe, NZ unlikely though they will go through AKL. SQ were denied rights 15 years ago and TBH I don’t think much would have changed, not a natural route for them. VA seem to do ok to LAX, is it profitable? And they are interested in Asia, rightly or wrongly, they may be better off with a single type for long haul as in A359 or 789.

SQ because they have long wanted it, as you say they applied 15 years ago, and they're a much better fit with AU pax than UA. UA has rubbish product and meals and service, few Aussies fly UA as a matter of first choice, we have a much higher opinion of SQ and are more familiar with it and would more readily fly SQ than UA in my opinion. LAX is okay for Virgin but I just think they need to focus on being a great Australian airline and carving out their slice of the market in a space where there is only one real competitor and that's QF (JQ is more in the same space as Tiger), compared to HKG where they are fighting against QF and CX, and LAX where they are up against QF and UA and AA and DL depending on the ex-AU city. I would agree completely that they should settle on just one type though, A350-900 or Boeing 787-9.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:58 am

Air north to increase on Toowoomba-Townsville route

https://blueswandaily.com/airnorth-plan ... -increase/
Forum Moderator

ZK-NBT

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

SQ because they have long wanted it, as you say they applied 15 years ago, and they're a much better fit with AU pax than UA. UA has rubbish product and meals and service, few Aussies fly UA as a matter of first choice, we have a much higher opinion of SQ and are more familiar with it and would more readily fly SQ than UA in my opinion. LAX is okay for Virgin but I just think they need to focus on being a great Australian airline and carving out their slice of the market in a space where there is only one real competitor and that's QF (JQ is more in the same space as Tiger), compared to HKG where they are fighting against QF and CX, and LAX where they are up against QF and UA and AA and DL depending on the ex-AU city. I would agree completely that they should settle on just one type though, A350-900 or Boeing 787-9.

UA’s product has improved although the 789 doesn’t have as good a product as the 77W. I’m not sure the competition watchdog will agree just because Australian’s prefer SQ to UA.

Qantas16

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 am

zkncj wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

POM

Does VA have an freight contract that makes it worth operating to POM? Otherwise surely that route needs to go

Not sure, but their BNE-HIR service is the same.

Some other figures for services out of BNE:

HA to HNL - 83% inbound, 77% outbound
EY to AUH - 94% inbound, 66.5% outbound
TG to BKK - 87% inbound, 84% outbound
AC to YVR - 68% inbound, 43% outbound

Ellofiend

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:27 am

Any news on the final TG 744 flight to Sydney?

Obzerva

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:34 am

sq256 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

VA has hostilities with NZ (basically frenemies) and UA for them to join Star at this point. Also, SQ are being coy over their future in VA whether if they are going to exit the VA shareholding.

Keep in mind NZ booted VA out of the Star lounge in LAX, and VA retaliated by removing points from non Trans-Tasman NZ operated flights.

It's increasingly more likely VA will be leaning towards Skyteam with increased involvement by DL in LAX & other partners. Worst case scenario there is that VA basically becomes a Skyteam feeder (being AU with NZ and possibly only SYD-LAX being the only international as part of the DL JV), should Hainan Group exit (with pressure from the Chinese government, therefore ending HKG) and EY and SQ both leave.

I'm not 100% sure why people seem so hell bent on VA joining an alliance.
It's been three and a half years since any airline, joined any of the three major alliances. Even Aer Lingus opted not join Oneworld despsite now being 100% owned by IAG.
I think as far as alliance memberships go, we're at the peak of the the bell curve.

Yes alliances have their advantage, but that's mainly frequent flyers being able to show a card at the lounge door and not having a myriad of which lounge is which rules, but that comes at a massive cost to the joining airline, and a cost benefit analysis would show a pretty poor return for that.

The trend is increasingly to do bespoke deals with who you need to deals with for maximum benefit, eg VA wanting to codeshare on VS HKG-LHR (and I assume likewise VS on HKG-MEL), the VA agreement with AC as well.
Why join an alliance which has a selection of airlines that don't add profit to your bottom line because they're in far flung locations.
LH Group with CX, and QF with EK, have to be the two standout deals where they've shirked alliances to maximise benefit for all parties.

A few more codeshare partners would be ideal, but perhaps not the overkill that EY has.

waoz1

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:11 am

Qantas16 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

POM

AC figure doesn't look that good.. is this a daily or going to be cut back to a few days per week?

qf15

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 am

waoz1 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

AC figure doesn't look that good.. is this a daily or going to be cut back to a few days per week?

The 788 flew the route 23 times in October...not sure if you counted daily and/or 789?
91% Inbound and 58% outbound.

SYDSpotter

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Stranger things have happened, but given that SQ did not buy NZ's stake in VA when NZ exited their ownership of VA, the chances of SQ buying 100% of VA are remote to say the least.
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_789

EK413

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Just another evening of delayed QF departures out of LAX with flights departing 2hrs - 2hrs 30mins behind schedule.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

ben175

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm

I flew MEL-SIN today in J and decided to try out both the SQ and NZ lounges. I was hugely impressed with the latter, the former not so much. NZ's new lounge is triple the size and very chic, while SQ's was overcrowded and dated.

May have been the time of day, but I pretty much had the NZ lounge to myself (I was on SQ228 at 16:40), so I would recommend this to anyone taking that flight.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:39 pm

EK413 wrote:
Just another evening of delayed QF departures out of LAX with flights departing 2hrs - 2hrs 30mins behind schedule.

EK413

Also talking about LAX, QF95 operated today, recently it hasn't operated on a Wednesday, there is no QF95 operating tomorrow as once today's QF95 lands in LAX both 789's will be there
Forum Moderator

EK413

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 pm

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Also talking about LAX, QF95 operated today, recently it hasn't operated on a Wednesday, there is no QF95 operating tomorrow as once today's QF95 lands in LAX both 789's will be there

I noticed there wasn’t any QF96 last night but did notice a QF95 departure which I found unusual. Take it we’ll have 2 x B789 services ex-LAX this evening?

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

ZK-NBT

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

I noticed there wasn’t any QF96 last night but did notice a QF95 departure which I found unusual. Take it we’ll have 2 x B789 services ex-LAX this evening?

EK413

I guess an extra QF95 on Wednesday then. Unlikely both 789’s will return the same day to MEL, 1 will leave LAX Wednesday the other Thursday, with no MEL-LAX on Thursday. Then normal operations from Friday resume.

325i

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Greetings All, after reading the comments about VA v ZK or the other way about, I suspect that the board of VA have more inside knowledge of what ZK did to Ansett. There have been numerous rumours eg, they milked the coffers of Ansett for their own benefit! Would not enter into ant financial undertaking to keep the 767's airworthy!
So I guess if any of the above were true then having ZK depart from VA was a good move.History does have a way of repeating itself.
With regard to any fleet changes in VA's fleet keep in mind the capex involved with such a transaction.I do not see any changes happening for SOME time particularly as ,if true, VA has put back their order for the 737max.
Speculation as to the deparure of JB is entirely that, speculation.I do note that there are some here that are not impressed with his management style,perhaps disgruntled ex DJ/VA employees! Give the guy a break , oh and I am not a relative of his I just believe in giving a person some respect for what is not the easiest of tasks in the aviation industry.
That's my 2 bobs worth for now, have a great day, Cheers 325 I.

MooLor

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Ellofiend wrote:

I have heard nothing other than the recent cocktail party gossip commented on here. That suggested March / April demise of the 744. A dummy booking for December 2018 still shows 744.

TG's final five (of 12) A359 are in various stages of production, from 'undergoing final assembly' to 'one test flight completed'. They will be delivered this year, so it is a matter of where those are allocated post delivery I guess.
https://sites.google.com/site/a350xwbproduction/production-list

A.Net A350 production and delivery thread here: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382499

Are you hoping the final TG 744 to SYD is sooner or later? I have four flights on the route this year, am in two minds whether or not I want any to be on the A350. I have previously flown two medium sectors on A350; nice aircraft but nothing special IMO. An evolution of the A330. The 744 however is special - probably because I only have a few rides left on it.

The focus on modern aircraft / cabins seems to be on high-yield J pax and their comfort / enjoyment (and 'ego massaging' it seems at times). Y cabins are just getting more cramped, but I do enjoy TG's 744 - their Y seems "old school" with spacious well-padded seats. Hopefully that carries over to the A350.

Ellofiend

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 pm

MooLor wrote:
Ellofiend wrote:

I have heard nothing other than the recent cocktail party gossip commented on here. That suggested March / April demise of the 744. A dummy booking for December 2018 still shows 744.

TG's final five (of 12) A359 are in various stages of production, from 'undergoing final assembly' to 'one test flight completed'. They will be delivered this year, so it is a matter of where those are allocated post delivery I guess.
https://sites.google.com/site/a350xwbproduction/production-list

A.Net A350 production and delivery thread here: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382499

Are you hoping the final TG 744 to SYD is sooner or later? I have four flights on the route this year, am in two minds whether or not I want any to be on the A350. I have previously flown two medium sectors on A350; nice aircraft but nothing special IMO. An evolution of the A330. The 744 however is special - probably because I only have a few rides left on it.

Thankyou for the info, I am hoping the TG744 stay's on the route as long as possible as I have never flown on a 744 and I would love to do so on an airline other than Qantas because they will have their's until 2023-5 so I have plenty of time to catch them and also because I am only 14 and its harder to fund travel when you are young and no-one in your family has interest in aviation so I would have to go by my self. I would probably fly the afternoon flight to BKK, stay at the airport Hotel overnight then leave for the morning flight back to sydney. Would only spend about 7 hours in BKK however it is quite costly but 747 flights these days are priceless. Would rather not have the A359 as it is something that will be around for 20 + years

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos